Apple's iPhone has finally arrived in the year 2017

The only annoying thing is that it seems all phones are going to ship with a USB 2.0 cable, so you'll need to provide your own cable if you want the faster speeds.

My mother refuses to pay for iCloud, so she pulls her pictures off her phone every so often. I just need to make sure she doesn't get tricked into paying $50+ for a USB-C or Thunderbolt cable when she does get around to upgrading.

18 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The only annoying thing is that it seems all phones are going to ship with a USB 2.0 cable, so you'll need to provide your own cable if you want the faster speeds.

My mother refuses to pay for iCloud, so she pulls her pictures off her phone every so often. I just need to make sure she doesn't get tricked into paying $50+ for a USB-C or Thunderbolt cable when she does get around to upgrading.

Poking around Apple site for 5 minutes makes me 99% believe that the Pros DO NOT come with a cable that supports USB-3 speeds. On the marketing page the cable shown in the transfer speed callout graphic is a black cable with a visible thunderbolt logo on it... and it has an asterisk that says... "USB 3 cable with 10Gb/s speed required." and in the description of WHATS IN THE BOX it says... "Included in the box is a USB‑C Charge Cable that supports fast charging and is compatible with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports."

Super shitty.

39 minutes ago, ort said:

Poking around Apple site for 5 minutes makes me 99% believe that the Pros DO NOT come with a cable that supports USB-3 speeds. On the marketing page the cable shown in the transfer speed callout graphic is a black cable with a visible thunderbolt logo on it... and it has an asterisk that says... "USB 3 cable with 10Gb/s speed required." and in the description of WHATS IN THE BOX it says... "Included in the box is a USB‑C Charge Cable that supports fast charging and is compatible with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports."

Super shitty.

Super Apple

The USB-C spec is a hot mess. The only thing truly universal is the connector.

This is partly why I've always been so annoyed at the EU for forcing this on everyone. No one will have any motivation to ever make a better standard. Why would any company put any R&D into improving this since it is literally illegal to ship a device with a different charging port? We will be stuck with USB-C for the next 20+ years. Hopefully at some point they make it so we can have a more universally agreed upon set of standards that make the cables more interchangeable than they are now.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I have to have two USB-C cords on my desk, because I have about 10 USB-C devices and there are like 3 of them that can only charge on a low-wattage charger and then the rest that won't charge on those low-power chargers. So it really isn't universal and may in fact be much more confusing for most people than just having two different connectors would be.

15 minutes ago, ort said:

Super everyone apparently... because it turns out Samsung and Google phones also come with cables that only support USB 2 data speeds.

Yeah, nobody is shipping their phones with actual USB-C 3.0+ cables. That hasn't been a thing since like the Galaxy Note 3 which shipped with a USB-B 3.0 cable.

The bigger concern is that if my mother were to go to an Apple Store a rep would take her to a faster cable and get stuck paying Apple's crazy prices.

WWW.APPLE.COM

Thunderbolt 4 Pro Cable provides superfast data transfer, charging, and connection to your compatible Mac. The braided design avoids tangles. Buy now.

Nobody should be spending anything more than $15-20 for a Thunderbolt 4 cable. Even then, the iPhone is a 10Gb USB-C connection and that's a $10 or less cable.

6 minutes ago, ort said:

The USB-C spec is a hot mess. The only thing truly universal is the connector.

This is partly why I've always been so annoyed at the EU for forcing this on everyone. No one will have any motivation to ever make a better connector. We will be stuck with USB-C for the next 20 years. Hopefully at some point they make it so we can have a more universally agreed upon set of standards that make the cable more interchangeable than they are now.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I have to have two USB-C cords on my desk, because while I have about 10 USB-C devices, there are like 3 of them that can only charge on a low-wattage charger and then the rest that won't charge on those low-power chargers. So it really isn't universal and may in fact be more confusing for most people than having two different connectors.

USB-C never really has to go away. USB-C IS the connector. What you're really complaining about is the USB 3 spec. That's all on the USB-IF. Those bastards have no idea what they're doing. There's USB 3.2 Gen and USB 3.2 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 1x2 and it's all a mess. I'm very happy they finally got their heads out of the asses and all the 3.whatever names are going away with cable and connectors moving to just raw speed and power labels. That means an iPhone would be a USB-C 10/20 port, so any cable that can handle 10Gbps and at least 20w charging will cover everything it needs.

Either way, it's because of the USB-IF I am constantly throwing away USB-C cables. I try to have nothing but 40/100 cables in my house, so basically anything that's Thunderbolt 4 compatible. When it comes time to, I'll toss all of of those for 80/240 cables when I need the speed and power, but I have nothing that needs that much speed or power right now.

Now that I think about it, it seems a little odd to me that they went with USB 3 (3.1 Gen 2?) and didn't just throw in the same USB controller they have on the iPad and Macbook Air that includes Thunderbolt 3 and USB 4. Not that I suspect nearly anyone would utilize the 40Gb/s you get from USB 4 / Thunderbolt 3, but it brings in even more compatibility questions. They have a USB controller built to work with Apple silicon that is more capable, and instead of using that they stripped some features out.

Still, I suppose Apple is nothing if not supply chain masters, so I'm sure the profit margin is better this way.

I'm still hemming and hawing...

My problem is that there is really nothing wrong with my current phone... and my current work from home lifestyle doesn't make my phone as important as it has been in the past...

But AT&T has a deal where I can get a $1,000 trade in on my current phone which would basically mean I get the new one for like $350 bucks after taxes and fees... and there's enough new features that it's worth $350 bucks to me... but then I get locked into AT&T for another 3 years and I will also be stuck with this phone model for 3 years. I mean, you aren't "stuck" stuck, but nothing will stop the payments and I won't be able to leave AT&T, not that I'm planning on leaving, but I don't like knowing I cannot. They get you by the balls with these upgrade plans... we have 5 lines on this plan and everyone is always in different stages of their payment plans on the phones so you are pretty much always locked in... and they make the deals so good you are almost forced to use them. I mean, a $1000 trade in on a 3 year old phone? That's hard to pass up.

It's funny how everyone hated the old system of "free" subsidized phones that locked you in for 2 years, which also basically forced you to upgrade since if you weren't in subsidization period you were essentially leaving money on the table since a big chunk of your monthly payment just exists to offset these costs whether you have a new phone or not... well, we got away from that, BUT we are now basically just right back to that exact same system again... only instead of subsidizing your lock in, they lock you in with too-good-to-pass up trade in offers that leave you almost no choice but to use them...

I'm probably just gonna upgrade... whatever...

Yeah, I’ve done a 180 and decided I really don’t need to upgrade. A better camera would be nice, but literally none of the other features will do anything to improve my life. My battery is already sufficient, I don’t care about the dynamic island, the custom action button thing is an okay feature, but not worth an upgrade, my phone is plenty fast for everything I do, I have enough storage, I don’t play big fancy games on my phone, 120Hz screen isn’t important to me, etc… since I seem to be keeping phones longer and longer, I want to make sure that the one I get “stuck” with is very compelling. 

I bet if I didn’t work from home I would feel differently, but my iPad has replaced my phone for most of the phoney stuff I do… and I take it with me a lot of the time as well.

Possible reviews of the camera may change my mind again... I like how I'm basically arguing with myself on whether I should upgrade or not...

• Halal 1

iphone 15 pro max makes a great first impression! None of these last years has been huge, but three years of upgrades put together makes for a pretty nice package. Moving to usb c, 120hz, always on display, higher nit brightness, 5x optical zoom, the huge performance upgrade from an iphone 12 pro chip, smaller notch, action button, together with some ios17 stuff like widgets on the home screen and it feels just new enough.

Also confirmed @silentbob that rokid works great with it plugged right in. Also 3D works right on the iphone now (it didn’t for me with the adapter i was using) so I loaded up Super Mario Bros in 3D in the VLC app and works like butter! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with icloud since the new plans rolled out? I was very happy with it and use it a lot for both storage and shuffling data around but ever since then I have issues connecting and uploading all of the sudden. At first I thought it was just a server hit from people starting to upload mass amounts of data with the new plans but it’s been a few weeks now and again I just had issues trying to upload. It was quite flawless before. I hope it’s a coincidence or they sort it out.

i dont even know what model iphone I have. It has the dynamic island

I heard the new one is titanium tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had iphones ever since the original release in 2007 and Im no longer excited about iphones. They have been so behind the curve for years and the only reason I use them is the old-head in me doesnt want to learn a new OS.