Maui Fires Update (11/12): "Revealed: Mistakes that blocked Maui wildfire escape routes" (BBC Investigative Report)

2353.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Officials said at least two dozen had been injured as the fire destroyed businesses in the historic town of Lahaina

Six people were killed in the unprecedented wildfires that tore through the Hawaiian island of Maui overnight, authorities said.

The fires, fanned by strong winds from Hurricane Dora, destroyed businesses in the historic town of Lahaina, and left at least two dozen people injured, officials said at a press conference Wednesday. There have been 13 evacuations for three fires.

Rescuers with the US Coast Guard pulled a dozen people from the ocean water off Lahaina after they had dived in to escape smoke and flames. Burn patients have been flown to the island of Oahu, according to a Honolulu emergency services department spokesperson.

Confirmed fatalities now stand at 36.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.apnews.com%2F1
APNEWS.COM

Wildfires, whipped by strong winds from Hurricane Dora passing far to the south, took the island of Maui by surprise, leaving behind burned-out cars on once busy streets and...

Thousands of Hawaii residents raced to escape homes on Maui as blazes swept across the island, destroying parts of a centuries-old town and killing at least 36 people in one of the deadliest U.S. wildfires in recent years.

The fire took the island by surprise, leaving behind burned-out cars on once busy streets and smoking piles of rubble where historic buildings had stood in Lahaina Town, which dates to the 1700s and has long been a favorite destination of tourists. Crews battled blazes in several places on the island Wednesday, and the flames forced some adults and children to flee into the ocean.

At least 36 people have died, according to a statement from Maui County late Wednesday that said no other details were available. Officials said earlier that 271 structures were damaged or destroyed and dozens of people injured. The 2018 Camp Fire in California killed at least 85 people and virtually razed the town of Paradise.

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: 36 fatalities confirmed as wildfires fueled by hurricane winds devastate Maui, USCG pulls people from ocean who dove-in to escape the flames

Service announcement btw

some of you know I used to be a firefighter in so cal, if you’re in a position of dealing with a rapid spreading wildfire, shelter in a structure, you are not out running wildfires like this. 

We were trained in my dept, cal fire, that stay in the structure until it becomes physically impossible then go outside.

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

Service announcement btw

some of you know I used to be a firefighter in so cal, if you’re in a position of dealing with a rapid spreading wildfire, shelter in a structure, you are not out running wildfires like this. 

We were trained in my dept, cal fire, that stay in the structure until it becomes physically impossible then go outside.

From the aerial shots I've seen of the damage, it looks like the houses and other building were all quite close to one another, with a lot of trees and other plants between.  If there was a wide enough road or other clearing, wouldn't it make sense to go there if you have the ability to do so?

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

From the aerial shots I've seen of the damage, it looks like the houses and other building were all quite close to one another, with a lot of trees and other plants between.  If there was a wide enough road or other clearing, wouldn't it make sense to go there if you have the ability to do so?

If you can get to a wide enough area absolutely, but also remember the radiant heat from these fires are something that can be unbearable and requires a lot of space to dissipate. The structures can absorb some of the heat as well.

roads are probably not enough space if the fuel load is high enough.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: 53 fatalities confirmed as wildfires fueled by hurricane winds devastate Maui
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: 80 fatalities confirmed as wildfires fueled by hurricane winds devastate Maui

Fatalities have risen to 93 and the governor has warned that the death toll could rise "significantly".

BBC News - Maui fire: 93 killed as governor warns of 'significant' death toll rise

_130786557_reuters_maui_cars.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Ninety-three people have been killed and hundreds are unaccounted for days after fires broke out in Hawaii.

• Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: 93 fatalities confirmed as wildfires fueled by hurricane winds devastate Maui
_130790579_2gettyimages-1592922670.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Lahaina residents tell the BBC they had no official warning before "fire hurricane" engulfed their town.

Lahaina, once Hawaii's royal capital, is now a crematorium.

"We pick up remains and they fall apart," said Maui County police chief John Pelletier on Saturday, four days after a massive wildfire tore downhill through dry brush and grass and engulfed the island's western edge.

Close to 100 deaths have been confirmed, making the Lahaina wildfires the deadliest in the US in more than a century.

But just 3% of Lahaina's charred ruins have been searched so far, stoking fears that the death toll will continue its sharp climb.

"None of us really know the size of it yet," chief Pelletier warned, growing visibly emotional.

Dozens of survivors shared their stories of escape and loss with the BBC, helping to piece together a more complete picture of the tragedy that unfolded on Tuesday, when fires moving at a mile per minute consumed the town.

One thing seemed to unite their accounts: residents say they had no official warning before they fled for their lives, raising painful questions about the effectiveness of the emergency response and whether more people could have been saved.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Maui Fires Update: 96 fatalities confirmed, fires spread at a velocity of one mile per minute
8256.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

‘Catastrophic’ wildfires in Maui killed dozens of people, burned buildings and decimated a town – here’s what we know so far

Explosive wildfires on the Hawaiian island of Maui have killed dozens of people, displaced thousands and reduced much of the vibrant, centuries-old town of Lahaina to ash.

As residents are beginning to return to the historic town, Hawaii is starting to reckon with the unfathomable loss left by the deadliest blaze in the US in a century. “What we’ve seen has been catastrophic,” said Josh Green, the governor.

Meanwhile, many remain missing and people are continuing to frantically search for those they haven’t heard from yet. Large swaths of the island remain without cellphone service or electricity. Recovery from the fires, which were fueled by drought-desiccated landscapes and fanned by hurricane winds, will be long, officials warned. Here is how the devastation unfolded, and what we know so far.

I think the report that is assembled after this fire is going to be pretty eye opening.  From what I've read, the west side of Maui used to grow a lot of sugar cane, but it was done with irrigation water.  For whatever reason, that practice was stopped a while back so the fields where the cane was grown has transitioned into dry grasslands, which would be "normal" for the leeward side of the island.  The dry grass combined with dense housing and a general lack of preparedness for wildfires really compounded this tragedy. 

A terrible loss of life and a cultural loss as well. Lahaina was such a beautiful place that had managed to maintain so much local character and history that was so unlike the mega resort areas that have consumed so much of Hawaii. It's really hard to imagine it being at all similar in the aftermath.

• Sad 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

A terrible loss of life and a cultural loss as well. Lahaina was such a beautiful place that had managed to maintain so much local character and history that was so unlike the mega resort areas that have consumed so much of Hawaii. It's really hard to imagine it being at all similar in the aftermath.

I have many memories of Lahaina from when I was a kid. It's heartbreaking to think that it's just... gone.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Maui Fires Update: 114 fatalities confirmed, 850 people unaccounted for
40 minutes ago, Chris- said:

@Brian have you heard from your boss?

She is fine as well as her family. Unfortunately they were on Maui and near the fire. They had to be evacuated from the hotel to a gymnasium.  They spent two days there with very little food, water, and sleep. They then got bused to the airport where they spent another day before being flown out. During the duration, they had no cell service so I couldn’t get in touch with her. Glad they got home safely.

She said her lasting memory will be the intense heat from the fire when they were evacuated. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

What?  I must have missed this. The most recent crazy I saw going around online was the MH370 airplane being teleported out of the air by 3 flying orbs…

66552200_6.jpg
AMP.DW.COM

As dramatic images of the aftermath of the Maui wildfires spread on social media, so are conspiracy theories about what caused it. Official sources blame extreme weather conditions, but others suggest...

:(

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

66552200_6.jpg
AMP.DW.COM

As dramatic images of the aftermath of the Maui wildfires spread on social media, so are conspiracy theories about what caused it. Official sources...

:(

I also pointed out that the photos were from another place 5 years ago and he actually KNEW that, but says it’s still what happened because it’s the only explanation because it’s impossible for fire to be that hot in nature and that those pictures were just from someone else trolling and not related to the evidence.

Edit: This one is really gross to me so I couldn’t let it go and started texting him more info. First, and I foolishly thought this would be enough, I found an article from the damn New York Post debunking his stupid “trees are still standing” proof of lasers (https://nypost.com/2023/08/15/maui-wildfires-spark-conspiracy-theories-about-space-lasers-oprah-land-grabs-and-suspicious-trees/)

He just did a winky face and is like “interesting they don’t mention the metal and glass” which is based on a theory he says that the fire wa melting cars which is impossible because fire doesn’t get hot enough to melt the aluminum and windows on them.

I couldn’t find it at first but some quick googling shows me that one is so obscure because it’s just simply scientifically incorrect. Eventually though I did find a specific article debunking that aspect (https://fullfact.org/online/maui-fire-melting-point-metal/

He just responded to that with a Black thumbs up which means he acknowledged it but doesn’t care and will still continue to believe this theory simply by choosing to just believe in it.