Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC port from Nixxes) - Digital Foundry technical analysis posted

SaysWho?

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Psychonauts 2 did the same thing but way cooler and way more often. And was on PS4/XB1. And was a way fucking better game.

Psychonauts 2 has cooler bag of tricks in many ways, but its portals aren't used that often, and tend to load into corridors or similar looking areas.  It's more the scene transformations that impressed me.  This video is a must watch regardless.

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Titanfall 2 did it as well.

Dark wold / light world trope isn't on the same level of environment swaps.  But its still amazing.

15 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Psychonauts 2 has cooler bag of tricks in many ways, but its portals aren't used that often

I mean, I put several hours into Ratchet and Clank before getting bored (which saddens me greatly as I love the series) and I barely recall the portal thing happening more than a couple times. And it was far less impressive than it otherwise would've been because of the pre-PS5 launch talk about how it would enable stuff like this with no load times... but then there's an obvious load time for every portal where you're basically watching an animated loading screen of Ratchet in the Load Zone™. It's brief, but it's still a loading screen. That would've been pretty impressive on its own, but when they say "no load times" and then there's just... load times, instead of being neat it was just like, wow, already with the half-truths.

Which brings me to my point: as I said I've only played a few hours, so maybe there were some actual instant ones later or fights where you're going in and out of portals every couple seconds (which even with 1-2 second load times sounds miserable) but I imagine if it's like the ones I saw, the solution for slower drives would be to simply leave you inside the load zone longer.

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, I put several hours into Ratchet and Clank before getting bored (which saddens me greatly as I love the series) and I barely recall the portal thing happening more than a couple times. And it was far less impressive than it otherwise would've been because of the pre-PS5 launch talk about how it would enable stuff like this with no load times... but then there's an obvious load time for every portal where you're basically watching an animated loading screen of Ratchet in the Load Zone™. It's brief, but it's still a loading screen. That would've been pretty impressive on its own, but when they say "no load times" and then there's just... load times, instead of being neat it was just like, wow, already with the half-truths.

Which brings me to my point: as I said I've only played a few hours, so maybe there were some actual instant ones later or fights where you're going in and out of portals every couple seconds (which even with 1-2 second load times sounds miserable) but I imagine if it's like the ones I saw, the solution for slower drives would be to simply leave you inside the load zone longer.

I'm not too far into the game either (Returnal pulled me away), but from what I've either played or seen online, it does have some portals into new zones that are simultaneously displayed and instantaneous (akin to Psyconauts 2), some light/dark world like switching at your prompting, plus the "Load Zone" sequences you're referring to.  At least one mini-game like section has gameplay interspersed in those parts too.

I should get back to the game this year.  Had fun with what I played, but the series is still very new to me, so I can't speak to the redundancy claims.

I have to sit down on a boring summer weekend and actually play and beat this. From the few hours I played at launch it was pretty damn good. Of course the visuals are absolutely mind blowing but the gameplay and characters were great, too. 

I can't put my finger on why I stopped playing but it's definitely a great game overall. 

On PC with the rigs you guys have it will be like playing a Pixar movie straight up. 

More importantly, I wonder if this'll have Steam Deck support. In theory, it should given the use of an internal nvme SSD, but even in the case of the hardware, wonder if it'll run it decent enough. 

"A game so impressive, so advanced, it can only run on the power of the PS5's hardware with its super fast SSD!" 

"Oh, hey. It runs on this small little handheld called the Steam Deck. What was it again about the power of the PS5?" 

"..."

4 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

More importantly, I wonder if this'll have Steam Deck support. In theory, it should given the use of an internal nvme SSD, but even in the case of the hardware, wonder if it'll run it decent enough. 

"A game so impressive, so advanced, it can only run on the power of the PS5's hardware with its super fast SSD!" 

"Oh, hey. It runs on this small little handheld called the Steam Deck. What was it again about the power of the PS5?" 

"..."

The m.2 in Steam Deck doesn't run at full Gen 3 speed -- so that may be a problem.  We won't know until the system requirements are released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

For those comparing what Rachet and Clank is doing to Phychonauts 2 or Titanfall 2, I would highly suggest watching the Digital Foundry review on it. Here is a short clip where the specifically compare it to Titanfall 2:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxve5jLRCCa2MLvrojfN1IH3SsXnFl2lmb

Yeah it still has a loading transition when you hit the crystals... so I imagine older drives will just sit there longer. He says it "wouldn't be possible" but that's only true if a longer wait is unacceptable for gamers or if you use the same brute force method here when you could just be teleporting the player to a different part of the map that has a different look and feel rather than just mass loading everything all at once.

It just doesn't seem like it's used enough to truly be a huge deal if it were to take longer on older drives. I could see it being a problem in a game where you legit spend the entire game doing that but even in the examples we see here there's just a moment of you in limbo waiting for everything to load. It's absolutely not instant and to me that limits its gameplay possibilities because you can't have anything crazy (in terms of gameplay, not spectacle) happening because the transitions take time. Not a lot of time, but enough time to where if you were doing, say, tricky platforming, that would totally kill your momentum. Rather than what appears to be a somewhat slow and meandering grind rail section.

Man you know what I wanted most this gen? To finally go FAST in games. Like that original UE5 demo. Instead we're seeing neat but not really meaningful gimmicks like this and fast load times, which is fine, but I feel like games are still designed to let you move only at a lumbering pace at best and then a bunch of tricks like FOV and speed lines to give the impression of speed.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

SONY LIED

THE PS4 COULD'VE RAN THIS AT 720P @ 30FPS JUST FINE WITH TEXTURES AND EVERYTHING LOOKING LIKE BLURRY POO DAMN IT

If you are OK with extremely low def textures and low poly models, and the occasional hitching while waiting for something to load [including lots of texture/environment pop-in]- it's perfectly doable.

6 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Kind of makes me want to get a gen 5 nvme too, but the choices still seem limited. 

I'm still waiting for gen 4 drives to show a meaningful real world improvement in gaming over gen 3 drives, let alone being worried that I need a gen 5 drive ATM.

That said, I'm leaving my 5.0 PCIe m.2 slot open in eager anticipation that it may be useful for something.

• True 1

cada894c2b461894d9bfa1b95b475411ab1bdf1b
INSOM.GAMES

Learn what tools of the trade the Lombax is bringing to the world of PC gaming.

Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion and XeGTAO

In our initial announcement, we shared that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC will feature ray-traced reflections and newly added ray-traced shadows for natural outdoor light. Today we can reveal the addition of another option that will further enhance the realism of light in the game: Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion, with various quality levels to choose from.

Graphics Programmer Menno Bil explains: “Ambient occlusion is a technique used in games to simulate how ambient lighting affects a scene. Ambient lighting is a form of indirect lighting: the light reflected from other surfaces. This effect mostly appears at creases, cracks, and corners where surfaces are close to each other. Commonly used AO techniques are SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO+ (Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion). These are not very demanding on the hardware, but they do not provide physically accurate results. RTAO utilizes ray tracing further to enhance the realism of ambient occlusion in the game. We have implemented RTAO as an addition for those with high-end systems with ray-tracing compatible hardware and processing power to spare.”

Menno and the team also implemented XeGTAO, Intel’s implementation of Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion. Like SSAO and HBAO+, this solution is based on screen space. Therefore, this technique does not enable the level of realism that RTAO does, but the performance cost is much lower and comparable to that of the HBAO+ implementation. XeGTAO is selectable as an option in the game and works with graphics cards from all vendors. 

“XeGTAO generates a very high-resolution ambient occlusion that shows even the smallest details in geometry,” says Bil. “Overall, the output quality of XeGTAO is very high and results in a pleasant look.”

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

But according to AMDKidz.biz that's laggy fake frames! Stop enjoying that free performance! NOOOOO! Please use FSR 2! Or sometimes 1 for no reason! :angry:

I've definitely noticed that the only people who shit on DLSS3 are people who can't use it and have zero first hand experience with it :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I've definitely noticed that the only people who shit on DLSS3 are people who can't use it and have zero first hand experience with it :p 

You're forgetting the Youtubers who post lots of performance benchmark videos, who are trying to justify excluding DLSS from their analysis.

• True 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, Spork3245 said:

IMG-7904.jpg

Considering that a 7900XTX is at 3090 Ti levels when RT is on, I have concerns about optimization. Not to mention a 5900x cpu is a good bit slower than a 12700k in gaming (a 12700k is typically about on par with a 5800x3D).

Looks like this was re-released and AMD cards were removed completely for the RT recommendations :lol:

• Haha 1