Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC port from Nixxes) - Digital Foundry technical analysis posted

SaysWho?

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1685458877
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure with Ratchet and Clank – now on PC!

• Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure as Ratchet and Clank make their way to PC for the very first time!
  • Wrap your eyes around delightful, diverse dimensions, with ultra-wide support for 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor support) resolutions!*
  • See the omniverse brought to life with the option of unlocked frame rates! You can also enjoy ray-traced reflections, as well as newly added, ray-traced shadows for exteriors.
  • Witness the very latest, performance-enhancing upscaling technologies for yourself, including NVIDIA DLSS 3, AMD FSR 2, Intel XeSS and Insomniac Games' Temporal Injection. NVIDIA Reflex and image quality-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA are also supported.
  • Play with the DualSense™ controller to experience haptic feedback and dynamic trigger effects. Or choose mouse and keyboard – with a wide range of control customization options.
  • Includes support for achievements and cloud saves on PC game launchers.

89275219e009ef62a2484760c7050f2f782db2f6

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I never finished it on my PS5... now I fee like I should chuck that copy in the trash :angry-fap-small:

I wish Sony would set something up to allow game save transfer between PC and PS4/PS5 games like MS has :sadsun:

If I get this on PC maybe I'll give away my physical PS5 copy

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I wish Sony would set something up to allow game save transfer between PC and PS4/PS5 games like MS has :sadsun:

If I get this on PC maybe I'll give away my physical PS5 copy

Id love this so much especially if I could rebuy the game in two years with post game dlc but resume off my ps5 save. I’ll buy the game twice but it would be cool to at least get that

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I STILL haven't finished this game. I gave it so many chances but it just never grabs me or I get distracted by an other game. 

On PC this will absolutely look and play like a Pixar movie. 

TRY AGAIN ITS SO FUN

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I STILL haven't finished this game. I gave it so many chances but it just never grabs me or I get distracted by an other game. 

On PC this will absolutely look and play like a Pixar movie. 

Same. I never bought it. Watched a few hours of a stream and never thought to myself dang that looks really fun. Not once. It’s not for me. 

VERYYYYY curious how they are going to handle loading transitions on PC.

The ability to instantly load a whole new level is an essential gameplay mechanic to this game, and something that seemed only possible on the PCIe-Gen4 SSD that the PS5 has.

Maybe this will be the first PC game to actually require DirectStorage?

The difference between gen 3 and gen 4 real world performance with DS is surprisingly low fwiw. It's about 30-35% iirc, or a 3 second full-level load vs a 2 second full-level load. Gen 3 should be fine for R&C use case, SATA would potentially be an issue, though.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, why not just load the entire game into RAM?  No fast m.2 needed.

I always wonder this, like all they have to do is start doing it and we will upgrade to 64gb of ram as long as there is a reason to do so. Does this just not help like we’d think?

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I always wonder this, like all they have to do is start doing it and we will upgrade to 64gb of ram as long as there is a reason to do so. Does this just not help like we’d think?

It would be the way to mitigate for people on SATA for sure, but there'd need to be a note of "64gb system memory required for non-M.2 SSD installation" and the loading time would be excruciating. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It would be the way to mitigate for people on SATA for sure, but there'd need to be a note of "64gb system memory required for non-M.2 SSD installation" and the loading time would be excruciating. 

I feel like there is a way to market it idk it would be cool

Just now, stepee said:

I feel like there is a way to market it idk it would be cool

I'd like to get to the point where there's basically an extra/special ram-like dimm just for gaming and the whole game just loads onto it. Like a single 64-128gb stick or whatever

6 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

VERYYYYY curious how they are going to handle loading transitions on PC.

The ability to instantly load a whole new level is an essential gameplay mechanic to this game, and something that seemed only possible on the PCIe-Gen4 SSD that the PS5 has.

Maybe this will be the first PC game to actually require DirectStorage?

Psychonauts 2 did the same thing but way cooler and way more often. And was on PS4/XB1. And was a way fucking better game.