Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC port from Nixxes) - Digital Foundry technical analysis posted

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Judging by the specs listed for each and what the PS5 has, probably "recommended" with a step below "amazing" RT.

The latter is definitely true going by Spiderman.  But performance RT on PS5 (the only mode anyone should be using) still targets an upscaled-to 1440p, the same as Amazing RT in the spec sheet.  Dynamic drops probably put it on average a bit lower than that.

Also, the 1620p-1800p window that performance mode on PS5 hits at 60fps is above High.  Granted, that's upscalled, and I'm sure PC is doing more in other regards with that config.

@best3444

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The latter is definitely true.  But performance RT (the only mode anyone should be using on PS5) targets an upscaled-to 1440p, the same as Amazing RT in the spec sheet.  Dynamic drops probably put it on average a bit lower than that.

Also, the 1620p-1800p window that performance mode PS5 hits at 60fps punches above High.  Though I'm sure PC is doing more in other regards with that config.

The RT on PC has shadows and ambient occlusion which weren't on the PS5. 

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The RT on PC has shadows and ambient occlusion which weren't on the PS5. 

Yep, there's more going on with RT on PC.  Console will likely be a step below Amazing RT with missing features.  But targeting a dynamic 1440p60 is still a best case scenario for a console SKU with it.

I'd expect the PS5 version to be preferable to the "Recommended" PC config as stated.  Unless DLSS2 can reasonably take that PC build to 1800p60.

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I would be it’s a mix of High and Mid settings since the PS5 was 4K/60 and all High on a 3060ti gets you 4K/30. I’m curious what the DF comparison and breakdown videos will show. 

Yea, I look forward to DF comparison vid. 

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The latter is definitely true going by Spiderman.  But performance RT on PS5 (the only mode anyone should be using) still targets an upscaled-to 1440p, the same as Amazing RT in the spec sheet.  Dynamic drops probably put it on average a bit lower than that.

Also, the 1620p-1800p window that performance mode on PS5 hits at 60fps is above High.  Granted, that's upscalled, and I'm sure PC is doing more in other regards with that config.

@best3444

RT Performance on PS5 drops fidelity settings and not just resolution, IIRC. My post is based on the fact that PS5's GPU is about equivalent to a 5700XT or a 2070, then factor in the additional performance impact of RT + the fact that a 3070 is being listed for the "amazing RT" and how AMD GPUs are significantly worse at RT than nVidia.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

RT Performance on PS5 drops fidelity settings and not just resolution, IIRC. My post is based on the fact that PS5's GPU is about equivalent to a 5700XT or a 2070, then factor in the additional performance impact of RT + the fact that a 3070 is being listed for the "amazing RT" and how AMD GPUs are significantly worse at RT than nVidia.

Absolutely.  According to DF, the fidelity mode has increased scene density (crowds, spaceships in backgrounds, etc.) and more  strands of hair used on things like Lombax fur vs. the other two modes.

• Shocked 1

Kinda sad I definitely won’t have my desktop issue settled in time but I should still be able to max it on my laptop at its native 1600p and should be a real show off for that thing, and I’m also really curious how it runs on the ROG Ally.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Kinda sad I definitely won’t have my desktop issue settled in time but I should still be able to max it on my laptop at its native 1600p and should be a real show off for that thing, and I’m also really curious how it runs on the ROG Ally.

How is the Zotac CS experience so far?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

GPU equivalency and fidelity cuts don't get to the heart of the discrepancies here:

Spider-Man Remastered runs at 1440p60 native on a 2060 S at PS5-equivalent RT settings.  PS5 upscales to 1440p60 dynamic.  So at 1440p with RT, if the optimizations are similar, we'd expect the difference between PS5 and 2060 S to be roughly the difference of Insomniac's upscaling technique.

If the pattern held, we'd be seeing 2060 S as another console level benchmark with RT for Ratchet.  Call it the missing "Good Raytracing" column.  And it should theoretically hit 1440p native at console settings, given that Performance RT still targets 1440p upscalled on console.

Instead, the chart reads that a vanilla 2060 is recommended for 1080p60 native at medium settings with no raytracing.  There's something very screwy about that IMO.  Could be DirectStorrage related.  We'll see soon enough what's up.

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

How is the Zotac CS experience so far?

Non existent; I’m going to test it on a other of in two days then contact :P

I kinda want to head somewhere again soon so idk if I’ll even deal with it yet we will C.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im a little surprised since they’ve already optimized ray tracing for AMD on ps5, but I guess they are struggling to find a performance profile that won’t make people upset at them 

That wasn’t via DX12, though, it was through Sony’s custom API. I’m guessing it’s not translating well here.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Good point!

James GIF by The Dungeon Run

I’ll go out on a limb and say that there was likely artifacts/crashing/stability issues and/or random performance drops during testing with AMD cards and that’s why they disabled it (and removed it from the spec sheet thing). 
TBH, good on them for disabling it until it’s working correctly and not shrugging on release day like most devs have been doing.

Also, r/AMD is amazing right now :daydream:

• Hype 1

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

James GIF by The Dungeon Run

I’ll go out on a limb and say that there was likely artifacts/crashing/stability issues and/or random performance drops during testing with AMD cards and that’s why they disabled it (and removed it from the spec sheet thing). 
TBH, good on them for disabling it until it’s working correctly and not shrugging on release day like most devs have been doing.

Also, r/AMD is amazing right now :daydream:

holy shit i bet that is some amazing reading right now

Just now, Biggie said:

Nope. I only play good games. 

I think it's good but I tried a few different times to really dig deep into it and it just never hooked me. It's probably the best visuals on a console though and I'm perfectly fine buying it just to experience the eye candy. 

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They’re saying nvidia paid the devs to remove RT on AMD cards :lol:

“AMD not engineering cards well enough to properly support ray tracing on pc is the exact same thing as AMD literally paying developers to not include dlss2/3!”