Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC port from Nixxes) - Digital Foundry technical analysis posted

SaysWho?

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm playing on the normal difficulty and died maybe 3 times throughout so far. 

Where are you at?

Ya I’m on normal difficulty also. I just reached Rivets hideout. I’m not that far. Going between PGA, Miles Morales, and R & C

So I have to use Full screen instead of Exclusive Full Screen. Exclusive would give me a bit more FPS, but the image is grainy for some reason. Also I’m really sad by my graphics card’s performance with RTX reflections. They have this pixelated shimmer on some surfaces. 

really enjoying the game though. It says I’m 71% complete. 

Either late game gets taxing on the SSD or maybe as a result of a multi-hour game session and caches needing to be purged, but I had several moments where long loading was occurring. Particularly when finishing a level with one character, getting a cutscene, and then trying to immediately switch to the other character. I’d get a bit of a whitish transition screen for at least a couple seconds. Dimension hopping by rift or crystal has remained fast and smooth. 

also I am quite shocked that right now on Steam this game has zero rare achievements. The lowest completion achievement globally is the one for getting all achievements at 14.4%.  That makes for a more dedicated group of customers than most games I see. Especially when under 75% have even finished the prologue opening level. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Either late game gets taxing on the SSD or maybe as a result of a multi-hour game session and caches needing to be purged, but I had several moments where long loading was occurring. Particularly when finishing a level with one character, getting a cutscene, and then trying to immediately switch to the other character. I’d get a bit of a whitish transition screen for at least a couple seconds. Dimension hopping by rift or crystal has remained fast and smooth. 

also I am quite shocked that right now on Steam this game has zero rare achievements. The lowest completion achievement globally is the one for getting all achievements at 14.4%.  That makes for a more dedicated group of customers than most games I see. Especially when under 75% have even finished the prologue opening level. 

MZ_V9P2T0B_AM_004_L_Perspective_Black_Ga
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Samsung’s Pro 990 SSD might be dying faster than expected.

Check your 990 Pro health.

They fixed the issue on newer ones and will send you a new one if you have one of the defective models iirc.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

MZ_V9P2T0B_AM_004_L_Perspective_Black_Ga
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Samsung’s Pro 990 SSD might be dying faster than expected.

Check your 990 Pro health.

They fixed the issue on newer ones and will send you a new one if you have one of the defective models iirc.

Samsung Magician says the drive health is Good. Had it run a diagnostic scan and the results were good too. 

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I really like how the weapons hit in this game. 

I beat it just now. Absolutely phenomenal game and I'm thinking I'd give it a 9.5/10.

Perfect length where nothing dragged on with excellent pacing. Great characters and story. A complete joy to play and control. I'm so glad I gave this game another shot. 

I did change up Ratchets outfit and that was cool. 

• Like 1

Finally got to see this fully maxed out dlss performance at my laptops native 1600p resolution at 100-130fps (mostly around 115fps or so) it looks fucking insane - it’s gotta be the second most impressive looking game behind CP with path tracing now

@Brian this thing continues to impress

• Hype 3

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Finally got to see this fully maxed out dlss performance at my laptops native 1600p resolution at 100-130fps (mostly around 115fps or so) it looks fucking insane - it’s gotta be the second most impressive looking game behind CP with path tracing now

@Brian this thing continues to impress

Must be beautiful. Is your desktop more powerful than your laptop?

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Must be beautiful. Is your desktop more powerful than your laptop?

Not until I get my graphics card replaced :D

But yeah usually it would actually be a lot more powerful. Though, the experience is pretty comparable.

Since it’s a 14” screen I find dlss performance at its 1600p resolution looks about as good as 4k dlss quality on my tv and performs about the same on the gpu. So it requires a lot less power (about half), but looks about the same as on my tv. 

Then the cpu is a bit better on my desktop too so the fps is usually a little higher but when they are both pumping 100+ it’s pretty negligible. 

The bonus is when a game isn’t as demanding as this, my laptop can do 165fps vs 120fps on my tv. And then the laptop actually looks best.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Not until I get my graphics card replaced :D

But yeah usually it would actually be a lot more powerful. Though, the experience is pretty comparable.

Since it’s a 14” screen I find dlss performance at its 1600p resolution looks about as good as 4k dlss quality on my tv and performs about the same on the gpu. So it requires a lot less power (about half), but looks about the same as on my tv. 

Then the cpu is a bit better on my desktop too so the fps is usually a little higher but when they are both pumping 100+ it’s pretty negligible. 

The bonus is when a game isn’t as demanding as this, my laptop can do 165fps vs 120fps on my tv. And then the laptop actually looks best.

But the size of your tv is much bigger than the laptop. I guess that really isn't a difference maker sitting in close to 14" screen? 165fps 😆 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

But the size of your tv is much bigger than the laptop. I guess that really isn't a difference maker sitting in close to 14" screen? 165fps 😆 

Well yeah the size of the tv is bigger and it’s overall the best way to play games and just nicer on the recliner etc

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well yeah the size of the tv is bigger and it’s overall the best way to play games and just nicer on the recliner etc

You should play through it again maxed out. Perfect length and really fun. As you told me for a long time. 

Just now, best3444 said:

You should play through it again maxed out. Perfect length and really fun. As you told me for a long time. 

That’s the plan, I started last night and I’m past the opening when you get control of Rachet again without clank. The opening is such “welcome to next gen” stage that you can tell it was meant to be there for launch before covid delayed it a few months. Too bad, that is really what launch needed, easily equal to Killzone SF on ps4 for tech purposes, but also actually a good game unlike that.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s the plan, I started last night and I’m past the opening when you get control of Rachet again without clank. The opening is such “welcome to next gen” stage that you can tell it was meant to be there for launch before covid delayed it a few months. Too bad, that is really what launch needed, easily equal to Killzone SF on ps4 for tech purposes, but also actually a good game unlike that.

Download a cheatengine table for it since it’s your second through. Not having to worry about grinding for bolts or rarium is :angry-fap-small:

Been so busy with work, that I haven't had as much to to game as I would like.  I was having crashing to desktop -- someone on the Steam Forums suggested turning off Nvidia Reflex -turned off Reflex/DLSS and it completely fixed it.

Really enjoying it -- probably an 8/10? I probably made a mistake playing on the default difficulty, as I'm finding the combat way too easy.  But, I'm finding it a fun romp of a pallet cleanser.

Graphics are solid, but I am "meh" overall on the super-saturated cartoony graphics.  The Lombax fur is super well done though, and the rift mechanics are really impressive.