Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC port from Nixxes) - Digital Foundry technical analysis posted

SaysWho?

If wade is fine with it I’m fine with it for that, like I said I’d be fine with that exception. It’s just we have very few rules so if Wade sets one I think let’s just be cool about it. Sounds like this should work for everyone then.

• Hype 1

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

If wade is fine with it I’m fine with it for that, like I said I’d be fine with that exception. It’s just we have very few rules so if Wade sets one I think let’s just be cool about it. Sounds like this should work for everyone then.

I’m like 99.9999999% sure “a video in a tweet that you can’t find elsewhere” has been an exception since day 1 of the rule.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m like 99.9999999% sure “a video in a tweet that you can’t find elsewhere” has been an exception since day 1 of the rule.

I don’t remember it but also like it doesn’t matter the bottom line is we have been fine since the rule was implemented and we are all adults and know when it makes sense or not!

New patch that was all of 1 MB, seems to address the issues DF pointed out. No time to check it out til tonight though. 

• Resolved visual issues with characters occurring on certain GPUs, including AMD Vega based models.
  • Improved the visual quality of vegetation in ray-traced shadows and ray-traced reflections.
  • Implemented a fix to make the Texture Filtering option work as intended.
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

New patch that was all of 1 MB, seems to address the issues DF pointed out. No time to check it out til tonight though. 

• Resolved visual issues with characters occurring on certain GPUs, including AMD Vega based models.
  • Improved the visual quality of vegetation in ray-traced shadows and ray-traced reflections.
  • Implemented a fix to make the Texture Filtering option work as intended.

oh can’t wait to look at that tonight. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Footage of a next gen game running on the Deck is enough to warrant more than a screen grab.  Nothing is a given on that platform, and how good/poor it is can be in the eye of the beholder.

Going through the effort to screengrab it so someone can go search it on the site itself to watch is asinine.  Actively discourages sharing something interesting.

For all I care, D1P is doing nothing to stop Elon from making money off twitter.  He’s burning it to the ground and killing it just fine himself.  If it’s the principle of the matter, there’s probably even more reason to ban Reddit, with its history of questionable and exploitative subreddits and recent 3rd party apps policy that kneecaps their moderation.  But of course that’s off the table, because we can’t point to a cult of personality running the show.  Without a head figure to rally against it’s just not a big deal apparently.

I’m not for censoring any of these sites here for the record.  If truly appalling content is linked to, that should be for moderation here to act upon.  Until then, I say let bygones be bygones and let the egomaniac ride out his sinking ship.

There are dozens of videos on Youtube looking at Steam Deck performance of this game (and every other game that comes out).

If @Commissar SFLUFAN has now given an OK with us posting twitter videos that are hosted by Twitter, I'm fine with that.  But that wasn't mine (or others) understanding.  Given that Wade pays for the site, and has very few rules, I follow what he wants.  I've been actively avoiding posting Twitter videos, but will now follow his new guidance.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

And just because I’m in canada doesn’t mean you guys can force me to agree with @AbsolutSurgen

I'm fine if you disagree with me.  We're all entitled to our own POV.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There are dozens of videos on Youtube looking at Steam Deck performance of this game (and every other game that comes out).

Yes, there is now.  When Digital Foundry posted it, they were ahead of other outlets and the general public.  As they often are.

It's pretty common for media outlets to post twitter video previews ahead of their edited coverage proper.  Speaking of which, its also commonplace for indie game developers sharing progress update clips.  Not everything makes it to Youtube.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If @Commissar SFLUFAN has now OK with us posting twitter videos that are hosted by Twitter, I'm fine with that.  But that wasn't mine (or others) understanding.  Given that Wade pays for the site, and has very few rules, I follow what he wants.  I've been actively avoiding posting Twitter videos, but will now follow his new guidance.

He'd have to clarify.  But I don't think most twitter videos would apply in the same manner as this case.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, there is now.  When Digital Foundry posted it, they were ahead of other outlets and the general public.  As they often are.

It's pretty common for media outlets to post twitter video previews ahead of their edited coverage proper.  Speaking of which, its also commonplace for indie game developers sharing progress update clips.  Not everything makes it to Youtube.

He'd have to clarify.  But I don't think most twitter videos would apply in the same manner as this case.

:shrug:

I'm sure If I post a video he has a problem with, he will tell me, and I'll follow whatever his guidance is.

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm like 6 hours into this (further than I ever gotten) and I really like it a lot. I still can't get over just how amazing it looks. Hope you guys enjoy it in its full glory on pc. 

Would you recommend it for someone like me? It’s on sale for $29.99 until August 3. 

I will say I didn’t have as many hitches as it looked like DF had during the rift sequence at the beginning of the game. It looked like it happened for a fraction of a second on the first rift and then every subsequent rift was seamless. If I didn’t know better I’d have thought the scripted event was pre-rendered or that was just how the level was designed, not multiple levels but just one big level with multiple biomes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Would you recommend it for someone like me? It’s on sale for $29.99 until August 3. 

Considering you like Nintendo games like Pokémon etc I think you would really like it. It's like playing a Pixar movie with a cool story, great characters, and action packed gunplay action. It doesn't hurt that it's the best visuals I've ever seen. 

I'm finally really enjoying it because I don't have to focus on other games. It's a complete joy to play and considering your tastes, I bet you really love it. 

For $29.99 it's a no brainer imo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, Spork3245 said:

Judging by the specs listed for each and what the PS5 has, probably "recommended" with a step below "amazing" RT.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:04 PM, Spork3245 said:

RT Performance on PS5 drops fidelity settings and not just resolution, IIRC. My post is based on the fact that PS5's GPU is about equivalent to a 5700XT or a 2070, then factor in the additional performance impact of RT + the fact that a 3070 is being listed for the "amazing RT" and how AMD GPUs are significantly worse at RT than nVidia.

It now sounds like its either the port job is the problem, or PS5 is pushing well above its weight.  Perhaps a bit of both.

The PS5's Performance RT settings are closest to the 3070's "Amazing RT" recommendation.  Just without RTAO, and some small cutbacks to hair, weather and depth of field.  A 2070 Super, meanwhile, can't maintain 60fps well at Alex's optimized settings, which are mostly below PS5's Performance RT and still include reconstruction and dynamic res.

Those with PS5's get quite the bargain here vs mid-range PCs.  (I suspected that might be the case)  But we'll see how its patched up I suppose.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It now sounds like its either the port job is the problem, or PS5 is pushing well above its weight.  Perhaps a bit of both.

The PS5's Performance RT settings are closest to the 3070's "Amazing RT" recommendation.  Just without RTAO, and some small cutbacks to hair, weather and depth of field.  A 2070 Super, meanwhile, can't maintain 60fps well at Alex's optimized settings, which are mostly below PS5's Performance RT and still include reconstruction and dynamic res.

Those with PS5's get quite the bargain here vs mid-range PCs.  (I suspected that might be the case)  But we'll see how its patched up I suppose.

The biggest difference I see is that a decent pc can get a solid 60+ fps without dropping down the quality or fidelity or using dynamic resolution. 1440p dlss quality is north of 120 fps and 4k is over 60 on my 3090 so far. I'm sure a 4090 with dlss 3 is sitting at 120+ in 4k.

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

The biggest difference I see is that a descent pc can get a solid 60+ fps without dropping down the quality or fidelity or using dynamic resolution. 1440p dlss quality is north of 120 fps and 4k is over 60 on my 3090 so far. I'm sure a 4090 with dlss 3 is sitting at 120+ in 4k.

A decent PC for this game right now sounds like a 3080 (or maybe a 3070 Ti), assuming you’d want raytracing.  Basically, what a PS5 costs for the GPU itself, and not much more to show for it.

That’s not… great.  But maybe not unheard of at certain points in a console generation?  I’d think we’d be past that by now though.

So I really do hope the port quality is the issue, and this won’t become a larger trend as we start seeing more Direct Storage games, next gen only games and the like.

34 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A decent PC for this game right now sounds like a 3080 (or maybe a 3070 Ti), assuming you’d want raytracing.  Basically, what a PS5 costs for the GPU itself, and not much more to show for it.

That’s not… great.  But maybe not unheard of at certain points in a console generation?  I’d think we’d be past that by now though.

So I really do hope the port quality is the issue, and this won’t become a larger trend as we start seeing more Direct Storage games, next gen only games and the like.

The 3000 series is 3 years old, so I think a mid level card that's 3 years old isn't asking much. 

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Well to be fair you are time traveling a bit back two years for that comparison to work. You wouldn’t buy a 3080 right now period besides a used one so I don’t get the point of talking about its price and the current state of the generation.

You can run this at double the resolution and twice the frame rate with advanced effects on the current high end cards (probably even on a 4070ti), that’s pretty much where of pc gaming usually peaks in comparison to console and we are actually there early this time. By the time 5000 series comes out the gap is going to be the largest in a very long time unless a pro is out by then. 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I haven't touched the PS5 version in a long time, but I remember the visuals taking a very significant hit when switching to performance mode.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Well to be fair you are time traveling a bit back two years for that comparison to work. You wouldn’t buy a 3080 right now period besides a used one so I don’t get the point of talking about its price and the current state of the generation.

Was going by the eBay averages on Tom’s hardware.

QgTU5qti2Jc9hrpvnBRyBb-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

GPU prices falling down

With Nvidia’s screwball pricing of the 40xx series, prior gen cards aren’t irrelevant yet.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I haven't touched the PS5 version in a long time, but I remember the visuals taking a very significant hit when switching to performance mode.

They patched in a performance RT mode which is bar none the best way to play it on console.  Looks great to me, nothing I’m particularly bothered by.  These DF comparisons make that even more apparent to me, it’s already running mostly at PC high settings in that mode.

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

The 3000 series is 3 years old, so I think a mid level card that's 3 years old isn't asking much. 

I do, if it’s still a single component with the same price as an entire console that yields like-performance.  I don’t think it’s too much to ask for maybe 2/3rd of the price by now.

This isn’t a like-for-like comparison granted.  The 3070 generally does much better than the PS5 in other games.  So if this is not the new normal, cool.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They patched in a performance RT mode which is bar none the best way to play it on console.  Looks great to me, nothing I’m particularly bothered by.  These DF comparisons make that even more apparent to me, it’s already running mostly at PC high settings in that mode.

Yes I'm sure they added RT and undid the terrible compromises to performance mode while they were at it, lol

Lemme guess it's also native 4k and supports 120

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yes I'm sure they added RT and undid the terrible compromises to performance mode while they were at it, lol

Lemme guess it's also native 4k and supports 120

Those cutbacks being reduced crowd density, less hairs on fur, lowered RT quality and resolution.

Performance RT is a reconstructed 1440p.  Not an ideal, but absolutely fine for the trade-offs IMO.

Just booted up the PS5 version. The cutbacks are evident on the very first scene. Jaggies, blurriness, what looks like weird FSR-style artifacts around objects in motion (both ghosting and weird aliasing that looks like Youtube macroblocking around objects) and more. I mean, it looks fine, but I'm not over here like "bro why does my 4080 only run this at twice the frame rate and resolution and also much higher settings" lol (and no, twice the resolution and twice the FPS isn't just 2x the cost, the performance cost for this shit get exponentially higher when you try to raise both at once, and that's without higher settings and new RT effects!)

• Hype 1

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Just booted up the PS5 version. The cutbacks are evident on the very first scene. Jaggies, blurriness, what looks like weird FSR-style artifacts around objects in motion (both ghosting and weird aliasing that looks like Youtube macroblocking around objects) and more. I mean, it looks fine, but I'm not over here like "bro why does my 4080 only run this at twice the frame rate and resolution and also much higher settings" lol

if you followed my posts, the 4080 was never anything I referenced.  It was the 3070.  And yes, I think it’s a problem that GPU is not beating PS5 here.  Again, it might be the port being rushed.

DF’s video breaks down the ghosting in Insomniac’s upscaler, which at least in this game, isn’t as pronounced as FSR 2.  (See also, Jedi Survivor on console)

Console gaming is about funding the right compromises IMO, and personally, I’d be fine with more games hitting Ratchet’s targets in its modes.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

if you followed my posts, the 4080 was never anything I referenced.  It was the 3070.  And yes, I think it’s a problem that GPU is not beating PS5 here.

DF’s video breaks down the ghosting I’m Insomniac’s upscaler, which at least in this game, isn’t as pronounced as FSR 2.  (See Jedi Survivor)

I dunno if I'd call it a "problem" -- but yes, it'd be nice if they were getting more out of mid-range GPUs.

At the same time, it runs unbelievably well on the Steam Deck given that thing's performance profile, so who knows.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno if I'd call it a "problem" -- but yes, it'd be nice if they were getting more out of mid-range GPUs.

At the same time, it runs unbelievably well on the Steam Deck given that thing's performance profile, so who knows.

Scalability to the bottom is definitely one thing they got right.  Even if a SSD should have been required. ;)