Florida passes fascist bills allowing state to remove trans kids from parents' custody, bans all public displays that are pro-LGBTQ+ (including Pride parades), and bans gender-neutral bathrooms

Election_2024_Trump_DeSantis_92412.jpg?q
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

‘These bills directly threaten transgender Floridians’ fundamental human rights and safety,’ an ACLU official says

SB254 — which one former lawmaker has called "fascist" legislation — would allow the state to rip children from their parents when they are "at risk" or "subjected" to gender-affirming health care. The bill is written so that even a child of Floridian parents living out of state could trigger the law.

They also are banning  businesses from having gender-inclusive bathrooms:

The Florida legislature approved three bills on Wednesday that aim to eliminate any expression of non-cis, non-hetero expression from public life.

HB1521 is the state's restroom bill, which prohibits businesses from utilising gender-inclusive bathrooms.

And allowing the state to take punitive action against business that have drag shows, or any show that is deemed LGBTQ+ friendly:

SB1438 empowers the state to take punitive measures against businesses that host LGBTQ friendly shows or drag performances.

It would also ban Pride parades:

If SB1438 is made law, it would also likely mean the end of most Pride parades.

• Guillotine 5
  • Shocked 1

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Florida passes fascist bills allowing state to remove trans kids from parents' custody, bans all public displays that are pro-LGBTQ+ (including Pride parades), and bans gender-neutral bathrooms

In sharp contrast:

397098-20230421-rally02-2000.jpg
WWW.MPRNEWS.ORG

As states around the country have banned or limited access to abortion and gender-affirming care for transgender people, Minnesota Democrats said the state should become a “refuge” for people traveling here for care and providers who treat them.

The Minnesota Senate Friday passed a trio of proposals aimed at legally safeguarding people who come to Minnesota for abortion and gender-affirming care and outlawing what’s called conversion therapy for minors.

The moves come as states around the country have banned or seriously limited access to abortion in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling overturning Roe v. Wade and after 12 states – including Minnesota’s neighbors Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota – have banned gender-affirming care for minors.

Passage of the bills in the Senate sends each proposal to Gov. Tim Walz’s desk, and he has said he will sign them.

• Halal 4

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In sharp contrast:

397098-20230421-rally02-2000.jpg
WWW.MPRNEWS.ORG

As states around the country have banned or limited access to abortion and gender-affirming care for transgender people, Minnesota Democrats said the state should become a “refuge” for people traveling here for care and providers who treat them.

“You see, democrats are the same as republicans”

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Becoming?

There really never was a "United" States of America.

I mean, I'm a straight white guy, so none of this affects me directly.  But I feel so bad for any LGBT+ people living in any of these shithole states that consider them subhuman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I look forward to sblfilms explaining why this isn't as bad as it sounds.

He's been noticeably silent on all of these recent threads regarding these anti-trans bills. Hasn't engaged with any of my posts since I've returned, either.

Don't think I haven't noticed.

54 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I mean, I'm a straight white guy, so none of this affects me directly.  But I feel so bad for any LGBT+ people living in any of these shithole states that consider them subhuman.

Hi, I'm an openly trans teacher and comedian in Florida. Please feel bad for me. Everyone send me love, hugs, and money. I need to get out of here ASAP.

As an openly trans comedian, I could be affected by these anti-drag bills considering how loosely they are written. The bills don't even use the words drag, and from what I understand police have the discretion to chose what constitutes are drag or "adult".

As a teacher, well, it's obvious why I am worried. With the expansion of "Don't Say Gay" (a name coined by the public that I sorta dislike because it also affects trans people) to include all grade levels, you can't even teach high schools students about LGBT people in the Holocaust. As I've said in a recent thread, Title IX is the only thing keeping my day job at this point. Once Title IX is ruled against by the supreme court, because it's only a matter of time at this point, expect to see a wave of bills in red states banning openly LBGT educators altogether.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 7

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m guessing he thinks it’s best not to engage you. 

He doesn't want to engage me because he's a TERF, has openly stated in the past that he agrees with JK Rowling's stance on gender.

That's why he's been silent on all of these threads regarding the erasure of trans rights. And why previously has tried to downplay the impact these laws would have. He's shown his true colors.

2 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

He doesn't want to engage me because he's a TERF, has openly stated in the past that he agrees with JK Rowling's stance on gender.

That's why he's been silent on all of these threads regarding the erasure of trans rights. And why previously has tried to downplay the impact these laws would have. He's shown his true colors.

Then let it go and don’t try to bait him. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Then let it go and don’t try to bait him. 

If he gets to call out what he considers to be racism then it's only fair that I get to call out transphobia. Doesn't matter really, I never tagged him and I doubt he's reading these types of threads anyways.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

If he gets to call out what he considers to be racism then it's only fair that I get to call out transphobia. Doesn't matter really, I never tagged him and I doubt he's reading these types of threads anyways.

He hasn’t said anything recently. You clearly harbor a grudge. Sometimes it’s just best not to let these people affect you, especially when this specific person has zero affect on your life. You clearly have issues closer to home worthy of your time. 

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He hasn’t said anything recently. You clearly harbor a grudge. Sometimes it’s just best not to let these people affect you, especially when this specific person has zero affect on your life. You clearly have issues closer to home worthy of your time. 

I have conflicting views on him. I agree with a lot of his posts, and unlike him have engaged with his posts since returning by reacting to them. But it does bother me that there is an openly transphobic user who is part of a community that I love. I recently had to cut my parents out of my life because of their transphobia and I have little tolerance for it at this point. I only surround myself with accepting communities at this point. It's why I took a break from this board for a year to focus on my mental health.

You're allowed to tell me how you feel. But be aware you are in a thread about the increase of of transphobic bills in my state and are telling an openly trans user how they should react to a bigoted user. I'm sure you don't mean harm, but it's bad optics. I have respectfully taken in your advice, and am choosing to follow how I believe is best to act for me. I don't want this to be a debate that derails a thread about much larger issues than a close-minded user.

• Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just didn’t wanna see it get derailed by a user hating fest. 

But I  truly hope you’re able to escape that horrible state. 

I understand. I actually love SBL which is why his bigotry hurts. If I truly didn't like him I would just let it slide off me and block him already because honestly I deal with this type of shit all of the time.

And I appreciate your support. My plan was to switch careers and move at the end of the next school year but at the rate things are going if I have an opportunity to move sooner I will take it.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

These bills suck. One of my friends is literally moving his entire family across the country to get away from Missouri and the anti-trans bill they just passed. These bills have terrible real world effects on very real people. As if being trans isn't already difficult enough in todays world...

I'm "friends" with a lot of very conservative rich white men and holy shit do these people have it out for trans people. I always ask them to explain to me exactly what real tangible effects trans people have on them, and they really do not have any good response. They worry their kids will get wrapped up in this new "trend" and transition. I try to explain that doesn't even make sense... but whatever. The other thing I always say is, you know, if trans people make you uncomfortable and you don't understand it... you know what the easiest thing in the world to do is? Just ignore them and move on with your life. It will be just fine, I promise you.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I can see how people born as biological males in women's sports issue can be problematic... but it's almost entirely theoretic at this point and not based on what is actually happening.

That is a completely separate issue we can deal with separately. Not sure what the answer is, other than it's very complicated and nuanced.

I love blowing conservatives minds when I tell them that only 0.5% percent of the population are trans. I think I read a poll where conservatives believe it's something like 20% because of how much it's being discussed in the media. Right wing media and politicians are freaking out over such a small part of of the population - I doubt many of these conservatives even know a trans person.

The thing about conservatives is that they have to be angry. They will never be placated and say "Yes this is enough there is no need to pass any more bills". They will always up the ante regardless of what happened before it. Which is why they are going for a psudeo-national ban on abortion. And why these anti-trans and gun bills are getting progressively worse.

Conservative talk radio and media are never gonna wake up one day and have a happy and positive message. They sell rage and will never run out.

So my point about sblfilms is that even if one bill "Isn't that bad", the next one might be and the effects are cumulative. And the sentiment behind these bills IS that bad.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

Fundamentally they view trans people as a threat. They view them as evil. This is not about real-world "effects" of having trans people around, this is about a religious crusade. And fundamentally they don't know what trans people even are, how a person becomes trans, or how that can even be positive. Amd they have no interest in learning (remember, the Bible teaches that knowledge is evil!). They think a person can be turned trans (or gay) just by hearing about it or seeing it. They think it's a belief, or a disease. Ultimately they think it's something the world should be rid of, so they're doing all they can to remove their freedoms and way of life.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Fundamentally they view trans people as a threat. They view them as evil. This is not about real-world "effects" of having trans people around, this is about a religious crusade. And fundamentally they don't know what trans people even are, how a person becomes trans, or how that can even be positive. Amd they have no interest in learning (remember, the Bible teaches that knowledge is evil!). They think a person can be turned trans (or gay) just by hearing about it or seeing it. They think it's a belief, or a disease. Ultimately they think it's something the world should be rid of, so they're doing all they can to remove their freedoms and way of life.

And it’s why I have such disdain for religion. Particularly the evangelical brand that pushes this shit. 

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

The thing about conservatives is that they have to be angry. They will never be placated and say "Yes this is enough there is no need to pass any more bills". They will always up the ante regardless of what happened before it. Which is why they are going for a psudeo-national ban on abortion. And why these anti-trans and gun bills are getting progressively worse.

Conservative talk radio and media are never gonna wake up one day and have a happy and positive message. They sell rage will never run out.

So my point about sblfilms is that even if one bill "Isn't that bad", the next one might be and the effects are cumulative. 

That is how fascism works. It starts with smaller bills and keeps increasing them in severity to appease their base. So with trans laws it began with bathroom bans, and today we are debating child separation and bans on public displays of LGBT flags. It generally start with bills aimed at protecting children, because that is an easier pill for the public to swallow because most people want to protect children, but once they can convince the public that a group of people are a threat to children then it's easier to convince them that they are a threat to the public at large so the bills only increase. It's very much a boiling pot scenario. If republicans were 8 years ago were talking about removing trans kids from parents it would cause a much larger outcry than it is today. Because now this is becoming the new normal.

And given historical context, they will not stop with trans people. Trans people are an easy target because because they make up a smaller part of the population and it's still a newer concept for older generations to wrap their minds around. But eventually they will expand their list of scapegoats to include other vulnerable groups because fascism has always be expanding. It's already happening. 8 years ago it was mainly trans people and now bills are limiting the rights of gays and bisexuals. This expansion of scapegoating is expressed well in the "First they came for the Jews" poem and we're watching the very same thing happen before our very eyes in this country.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

7 hours ago, Kamusha said:

That is how fascism works. It starts with smaller bills and keeps increasing them in severity to appease their base. So with trans laws it began with bathroom bans, and today we are debating child separation and bans on public displays of LGBT flags. It generally start with bills aimed at protecting children, because that is an easier pill for the public to swallow because most people want to protect children, but once they can convince the public that a group of people are a threat to children then it's easier to convince them that they are a threat to the public at large so the bills only increase. It's very much a boiling pot scenario. If republicans were 8 years ago were talking about removing trans kids from parents it would cause a much larger outcry than it is today. Because now this is becoming the new normal.

And given historical context, they will not stop with trans people. Trans people are an easy target because because they make up a smaller part of the population and it's still a newer concept for older generations to wrap their minds around. But eventually they will expand their list of scapegoats to include other vulnerable groups because fascism has always be expanding. It's already happening. 8 years ago it was mainly trans people and now bills are limiting the rights of gays and bisexuals. This expansion of scapegoating is expressed well in the "First they came for the Jews" poem and we're watching the very same thing happen before our very eyes in this country.

They will be expanding their extremism with a smaller and smaller base.

The thing to remember with these policies is that they are deeply unpopular among majority of Americans. They are increasingly aliening of voters, and antithetical to most newer generation millennials and especially zoomers. While a handful of states can put out the most aggressively anti-LGBTQ bills since like the 70s, the nation as a whole is getting more progressive.

The problem the GOP has is that they've spent too long in an echo chamber. They took the poison pill with Trump, and many (including Tucker Carlson) knew this would likely be the death of the party. But Trump was a popularist and pretended to be moderate on many social issues, so he won one term. But the foaming at the mouth triggered by the audacity of voting a black man into the White House, and spearheaded by folks like Glenn "Whiteboard" Beck, was just the start of the downward spiral. They're digging themselves into a hole. These are the flailings, the last gasps by a slowly dying party, and some Republicans are even aware of it.

This is about abortion but it could easily be applied to anti-LGBTQ+ legislation and even a growing sentiment against (at the very least) the availability of automatic rifles and gun violence as a whole. Every once in a while a GOP member will accidently say the quiet part out loud, and suddenly you get a glimpse into what they're really thinking. Some of the things they say are even more extreme and sociopathic than the bills they're writing, and some of the other things are also like this, sober and lucid realizations that appealing solely to further reaches of your fringe base pushes the rest away an equal amount. It's a contest of one-upmanship, where the prize is a tiny island isolated from the rest of the world.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

This is very clearly a manufactured moral panic.  The right quite obviously doesn’t have much of substance to sell to the public right now, so they’re ginning up hysteria against a tiny group of ‘others’ and posing as moral crusaders to distract the average voter.

I’m open to debates about whether ‘gender-affirming’ care is appropriate for minors, but it’s a lot more rare of a phenomenon than conservatives are making it out to be.  Yet despite its vanishing rarity it’s all Republicans want to talk or legislate about, and they act like every hospital in the nation is handing out puberty blockers like candy and performing sex-reassignment surgeries on five year olds a million times a day.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I do think sometimes portions of the trans lobby are a bit too militant for their own good and alienate people by jumping straight for the ‘bigot’ label even when someone has a minor point of disagreement with them, but that doesn’t change the fact that these conservative crusaders are clearly exploiting the trans demographic and trying to profit from alienating and bullying them.

So sad that no matter how many times they ultimately reveal themselves to be mass acts of bad-faith, politically-motivated bullshit artistry, old-fashioned “But think of the children!” campaigns still bewitch the average voter’s mind.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 4