Three New Star Wars Movies Announced

sw-annc-swce-articlefeat_84f9c64e.jpeg?r
WWW.STARWARS.COM

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed three new Star Wars films from James Mangold, Dave Filoni, and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

James Mangold’s movie will go back to the dawn of the Jedi, while Dave Filoni’s will focus on the New Republic, and close out the interconnected stories told in The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and other Disney+ series. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s film will be set after the events of Rise of Skywalker, and feature Daisy Ridley back as Rey as she builds a new Jedi Order.

Hey, I'm for it. Directors look good, concepts sound fun, excited about three eras of nonsense. Super pumped that Filoni might get to "finish" his arcs in a movie.

Also I hope the Rey movie involves Rey turning her lightsaber into the colors of the trans flag while her, Finn, and Rose establish a Jedi Order governed by their polycule, motherfuckers die mad.

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
sw-annc-swce-articlefeat_84f9c64e.jpeg?r
WWW.STARWARS.COM

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed three new Star Wars films from James Mangold, Dave Filoni, and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

Hey, I'm for it. Directors look good, concepts sound fun, excited about three eras of nonsense. Super pumped that Filoni might get to "finish" his arcs in a movie.

Also I hope the Rey movie involves Rey turning her lightsaber into the colors of the trans flag while her, Finn, and Rose establish a Jedi Order governed by their polycule, motherfuckers die mad.

Hell yeah

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The stuff announced at Celebration has a pretty solid track record. I’m confident in all three but there’s a 100% chance of at least two. 

Ah, that makes sense. I was just thinking of how many different Star Wars movies have been talked about since Rian Johnson’s trilogy, and zero of those have come out, not considering the context of the announcements. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Ah, that makes sense. I was just thinking of how many different Star Wars movies have been talked about since Rian Johnson’s trilogy, and zero of those have come out, not considering the context of the announcements. 

Right. That’s taught me not to care about anything outside of Celebration that’s announced. Haha

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I like Daisy even though I found Rey's arc shallow and find the whole "Skywalker" name choice stupid. Hopefully they can do better by her.

I really, really wanted her to use the name "Skywalker" as a description of a particular type of Jedi who uses Luke's philosophy.

If she had to adopt a surname, it really should've been "Solo".

• Halal 3

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really, really wanted her to use the name "Skywalker" as a description of a particular type of Jedi who uses Luke's philosophy.

If she had to adopt a surname, it really should've been "Solo".

Yeah "Skywalker" as a new Jedi philosophy would have been more interesting. I suppose they could still force it into that direction. All indications in the movie is that it's a superficial name choice, but it's the last word in the series, so they could always re-justify it later. Maybe give JJ a bit of his own medicine of other directors changing the interpretations in the next movie :p 

How long until they're cancelled though? 

Really hope the Rey one doesn't feel like Episode X though. I feel the Episodes should be a one in a generation trilogy, so we should see X, XI, XII much later with a new younger batch of heroes, and Rey, Finn, and Poe all much older. 

I mean, I'm not opposed to any of those movies, but after basically cancelling D.B. Weiss and David Benioff's potential Star Wars movies, then Rian Johnson's potential Star Wars movies, then not working with Zack Snyder's Star Wars-Seven Samurai in space idea (which has now become Rebel Moon), cancelling Patty Jenkins' Star Wars movie. Cancelling Josh Trank's Star Wars movie. Firing Phil Lord and Chris Miller on Solo: A Star Wars Story. Firing Michael Arndt after trying to write the screenplay to The Force Awakens. Firing Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX but keeping the release date and hiring J.J. Abrams instead to rush and finish it. It has been an absolute shit show in terms of announcing then cancelling Star Wars film projects. So we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

James Mangold's sounds by far the most interesting to me, both because he's directing it and it's the furthest removed from the films. Even as a Star Wars nerd, I've never loved the really arcane lore surrounding the nature of the force (like we got in Rebels), but Mangold makes good stuff and no one will mention Skywalker, so that's a plus.

With all the Disney+ series, I'm feeling rather full up on the era between films, but since Filoni is directing I'm more hopeful than I would have been otherwise. I'd love for his film to mark the end of Mandolorian, Book of Boba Fett,  Ashoka, etc. and for future series to be bet set farther out from established lore.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's feels like the most risky of the three. She's the least proven director a Star Wars film since Josh Trank and I'm nervous about any Star Wars product that has to deal with following episode IX. I'm nervous about what Disney intends to do with that timeline. I really hope they don't reboot the empire and the death star again. They can't right? They must have some other idea for how to have bad guys in Star Wars...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Right. That’s taught me not to care about anything outside of Celebration that’s announced. Haha

Was Jenkins’ flick a Celebration or D23 announcement?

It's kind of crazy how little I care about any of these announcements considering how much of a Star Wars fanboy I was for the first half of my life.

I don't even care enough to read about these or what they are. I'll probably check em out in 4 years or whatever, but I am so out of any fucks to give for the Star Wars franchise. I just do not care anymore.

I'm looking forward to Andor Season Two. I'm sure the rest of this will amuse me mildy and/or make me grumble for the few hours I spend watching it and then will get washed away with the endless flood of content coming from everywhere all the time. Star Wars is just played out.

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't think it was either. It was announced right in the thick of COVID. I don't remember either Celebration or D23 occurring but I could be mistaken.

I just looked it up. It was during that time when Disney replaced all of their in person events with their digital investor day and showed like 37 new Star Wars things 😂

… so this is why so much hate and bitching is coming out if Star Wars social media.. got it

I like Ridley as Rey.. I hope she finally gets an arc where she gets to truly shine… if not then she can at least wait another 10 yrs so that the sequel trilogy gets the revisionist love like the prequels

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

… so this is why so much hate and bitching is coming out if Star Wars social media.. got it

I like Ridley as Rey.. I hope she finally gets an arc where she gets to truly shine… if not then she can at least wait another 10 yrs so that the sequel trilogy gets the revisionist love like the prequels

I wonder how the ST is going to be viewed in the future. I think people will look fondly on TFA, I think at some point the chatter around TLJ will focus largely on the things that the movie does right. Rise though... I dunno. I'd say the PT movie that ate the most shit in real time was Phantom Menace but even then people vibed to Duel of the Fates, people bought pod racing toys and they made video games that took place in that era. For the ST we have... Battlefront II and the Lego games?

It'll be interesting. 

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wonder how the ST is going to be viewed in the future. I think people will look fondly on TFA, I think at some point the chatter around TLJ will focus largely on the things that the movie does right. Rise though... I dunno. I'd say the PT movie that ate the most shit in real time was Phantom Menace but even then people vibed to Duel of the Fates, people bought pod racing toys and they made video games that took place in that era. For the ST we have... Battlefront II and the Lego games?

It'll be interesting. 

The PT has had somewhat of a renaissance because people who were kids when it came out are in their early thirties now. I think the same thing will happen with the ST to some degree. The terminally online people will never come around on TLJ though. Just reading through Reddit yesterday I can’t believe the number of grown ass men still crying about “what they did to my childhood hero”

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The PT has had somewhat of a renaissance because people who were kids when it came out are in their early thirties now. I think the same thing will happen with the ST to some degree. The terminally online people will never come around on TLJ though. Just reading through Reddit yesterday I can’t believe the number of grown ass men still crying about “what they did to my childhood hero”

And they'd be wrong. I was 13 when The Phantom Menace came out, and I'm 36 today. I've seen the prequels a number of times since 1999, and they've never been good upon reflection. Yet, when I watch the OT, you can see the great and classical filmmaking on display - they are still good. This only proves that people can't separate nostalgia from quality.

I agree with you that the PT has seen a renaissance among people my age and younger, and I'm not sure how they justify all the boring "walking and talking" scenes, the bad filmmaking, everything almost being a two-shot back and forth conversation, the obvious CG, the poor editing, acting, and dialogue, and so forth.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And they'd be wrong. I was 13 when The Phantom Menace came out, and I'm 36 today. I've seen the prequels a number of times since 1999, and they've never been good upon reflection. Yet, when I watch the OT, you can see the great and classical filmmaking on display - they are still good. This only proves that people can't separate nostalgia from quality.

I agree with you that the PT has seen a renaissance among people my age and younger, and I'm not sure how they justify all the boring "walking and talking" scenes, the bad filmmaking, everything almost being a two-shot back and forth conversation, the obvious CG, the poor editing, acting, and dialogue, and so forth.

41 minutes ago, legend said:

The PT was bad in lots of ways, but I think it succeeded in its world building, which has been great when looking at the whole franchise.

All of this is correct. The PT has individual moments, actors, and characters that shine too even if the final product is bad on the whole. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

star-wars-new-official-timeline-2023-cel

FOR THE LOVE OF EXAR KUN, PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THE YUZAHN VONG INTO THE NEW JEDI ORDER!

Were those that extra galactic group of aliens that Palpatine turned out to be preparing to defend against? 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's more or less correct.

The Chiss Ascendancy was aware of the YV and when Thrawn joined the Empire, he informed Palpatine of them as well.

I take it they weren't well recieved by fans of the books they were in? 

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

because those things aren’t boring or bad to a lot of people. my dad for instance loves Andor, but also loves The Phantom Menace. and even people who can register the movies as bad can find enjoyment out of it. there’s a whole subreddit dedicated to memeing the prequels which can make them more entertaining for people. the. you have the clone wars which is actually good, and helps bring up the movies a little bit.