Blue Beetle | August 18

35 minutes ago, Bacon said:

"what if spider-man was iron man but DC"

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno. I thought it looked fun and it's nice to see some Latinx representation in a super hero movie, especially as the main character.

Also agreed but it could be a really well done trailer for a really mediocre movie.

• True 1

• 3 months later...

It does LOOK good, if not for it being really SO close to @Baconcomment about Spidey + Iron Man = this. I enjoy the kid in the main role via his acting in Cobra Kai, and I do think its wicked cool that the Latino aspect of the story is so highlighted here, really does provide a hero for those who may not have known about him prior, which is awesome.

All of that being said ... and it pains me ... but I really don't even know WHAT the comic book hero movie genre can even provide me with anymore that I haven't already seen so many times before.

*EDIT* Also ... what the FUCK is Susan Sarandon doing in this flick for anything other than a check?

Gunn and Safran are selecting elements that will carry over, mostly based on actors. For instance, Gunn has said that Cobra Kai actor Xolo Maridueña, who stars in the upcoming Blue Beetle movie, will continue playing the character in the new DCU, but that upcoming movie will stand on its own

On 4/4/2023 at 1:53 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Blue Beetle and his whole "universe" was already done really well in Young Justice. I like Blue Beetle so it's cool to see a live-action version, but at the death knell of the current DCEU? Rough to see.

That blue beetle ark was so crash.   I really have to watch the seasons that came out later, I hope it crashed the mode as hard as the first ones.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...

Sitting at 82% on RT with 77 Reviews. I thought the trailers looked terrible, so that's far above my personal expectations. Heard decent things from critics so far.

Shazam 2 had a nearly identical production budget and came in with a $30M opening weekend, exactly where Beetle is tracking at the moment. Shazam had horrible legs, failing to even double its opening weekend. If Beetle is actually good, it should do better than that, but opening at $30M means it would need Wonder Woman caliber legs (4X) just to make its production budget back domestically.

Shazam 2 also flopped internationally, so Beetle really has a lot of recent history to overcome if it's not going to be another successive DC flop.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

DC'S brand is turning out to be pretty much poison right now.

Seems like it. It would maybe behoove them to release a few more inexpensive but actually good movies to gather assume goodwill along audiences. Maybe even an actually good animated feature with as much care as the Spiderverse movies.

They have options. No clue if they care for them, though.

It remains to be seen if this current perception of DC is due to folks knowing that these last couple of movies "don't count" moving forward or what. Individual properties are still doing ok... The New Superman Animated series as well as the Harley Quinn series both have their fans. Its the movies that have left a bad taste in folks mouths.

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It remains to be seen if this current perception of DC is due to folks knowing that these last couple of movies "don't count" moving forward or what. Individual properties are still doing ok... The New Superman Animated series as well as the Harley Quinn series both have their fans. Its the movies that have left a bad taste in folks mouths.

It's possible that for the near / foreseeable future DC just needs to stop making tentpole blockbusters with their prestige characters other than Batman? It's clear that people don't have a problem going to the movies, they don't need the movies to be superhero franchises to get asses in seats. And it's also clear that people are not "tired" of "superhero content" in general when stuff like Aquaman or Joker can mint billions.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, but DC has done well with their animated TV for decades now. They've just refused to learn anything about the audiences that have grown up loving their animated series who are now in prime "take your kids to the theaters" age.

DC's brand has definitely poisoned the well, but in addition to that the movies that have come out recently were never going to be moneymakers. I mean, Shazam was a genuinely surprise hit (and actually good) but since Shazam 2 was just mediocre and since one movie isn't suddenly making him some beloved superhero among general audiences means there's no momentum. I mean, did audiences really care about Black Adam (the character)? The Rock's social cache has seriously gone down in the last two years so a C-tier villain/anti-hero in a not good movie isn't going to help. I mean, for general audiences, Blue Beetle? No one cares (even though I like Blue Beetle personally). Wonder Woman 1984 being so truly bad didn't help matters starting this whole process, but expecting big bucks from B-tier and C-tier superheroes that general audiences have never heard of in bad or mediocre movies isn't going to help. It's why Joker and The Batman, recent non-DCEU movies, did great by comparison. Use recognizable characters and put them into movies audiences will want to see and you're set. Unfortunately, this string of failures will put some of these characters to bed for awhile. For regular audiences these movies are like the Venom movies or Morbius or Kraven the Hunter from Sony but with even bigger budgets. Just doesn't make sense. It'll be interesting to see how Aquaman 2 does given the first made over a billion and people love Jason Mamoa. 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, Shazam was a genuinely surprise hit (and actually good) but since Shazam 2 was just mediocre

If only Hollywood stopped making garbage movies

• True 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If only Hollywood stopped making garbage movies

Yeah I saw that and he's absolutely right while at the same time maybe not seeing the irony or he's venting about his own film. I imagine after getting cast as Fandral, one of the Warriors Three in Thor in the MCU but being forced to vacate the role due to a scheduling conflict, only to go then replace the guy who played the role in the first film in the terrible sequel Thor: The Dark World (which in retrospect looks like a quaint film by today's MCU standards) which gets wrecked by critics and audiences. Then he gets summarily killed off, getting only one scene in Thor: Ragnarok and his character seems perma-killed off in the MCU.

And then, after all that, he finally gets Shazam, and the first turns out well, dodging the shitty DCEU bullet, only for the promising sequel to get fucked around with by studios and producers and The Rock and get essentially release dumped at the worst possible time during the DCEU debacle, with a DCEU reboot now all but assuring that this is the last time he plays this character as well. I imagine he is frustrated, since superheroes are where blockbusters and money are to be made. :p 

Maybe they should have started with some actually good in-universe movies of their well-known properties instead of scraping the bottom of the character barrel. I mean I collect and read comic books but I could not care any less about Blue Beetle or Shazam. Those don’t seem like characters you pin the hopes of your Cinematic Universe on. Much less recognizable than Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America who—while not S-tier Marvel characters at the time—were not totally unknown names to general audiences when they were launching that universe.