STOP THE PRESSES: GameStop reports its first quarterly profit in two years!

Commissar SFLUFAN

I guess there's still yet some life left in 'em!

107210354-1679005828145-gettyimages-1474
WWW.CNBC.COM

GameStop has been in the midst of a turnaround and posted its first quarterly profit for the first time in two years.

GameStop on Tuesday posted a quarterly profit for the first time in two years, finishing out the year on a high note after grappling with sales declines, inventory woes and cash flow pressure.

Shares of the company jumped about 23% during after-hours trading.

For the quarter ended Jan. 28, net sales dropped slightly to $2.23 billion from $2.25 billion in last year’s fourth quarter. The video game retailer also posted a profit of $48.2 million, or 16 cents a share, compared to a loss of $147.5 million, or 49 cents, a year ago.

I haven't shopped there in years but I miss the ritual. I miss browsing shelves not really knowing what you might find. Even the Best Buy in my area is getting anemic.

I do wish they could find a niche. Maybe re-brand that shit. The GameStop name is so tarnished for so many people 

• True 2

20 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If I had to guess I would say it's probably the influx of PS5s in stock and it will be a short-lived bubble.

The retailer had been working to steer itself back to profitability, and got there in part by cutting costs. Selling, general and administrative expenses came in at $453.4 million for the quarter, or 20.4% of sales, compared to $538.9 million, or 23.9% of sales, in the year-earlier period.

9 hours ago, ort said:

Yup, my understanding is that the Funko Pop market is currently imploding and that sales have absolutely cratered due to them over-saturating the market. (and the fact that Funko Pops are stupid as heck)

funko-batman-pop-toy-is-funko.png?width=
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Funko plans to "eliminate" the excess toys in the first half of 2023.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:28 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

NFTs saved them.

I assumed it was they finally hit the magic number of stores closed and employees let go.  

18 hours ago, ort said:

Yup, my understanding is that the Funko Pop market is currently imploding and that sales have absolutely cratered due to them over-saturating the market. (and the fact that Funko Pops are stupid as heck)

wait, people were actually collecting them as an investment?? 

Yes. There is a market for them like baseball cards. Some are worth thousands. There are people who own thousands and thousands of them. I know some people who own WAY WAY too many.

I don't get it. I mean, I get it a tiny bit, but no thank you. I own about 5 or 6 Funko Pops... all of them gifts.

I once heard them described as Precious Moments figurines for nerds, which is just perfect...

37 minutes ago, ort said:

Yes. There is a market for them like baseball cards. Some are worth thousands. There are people who own thousands and thousands of them. I know some people who own WAY WAY too many.

I don't get it. I mean, I get it a tiny bit, but no thank you. I own about 5 or 6 Funko Pops... all of them gifts.

I once heard them described as Precious Moments figurines for nerds, which is just perfect...

Anime waifus 1 - funko pops nil 

I don't think the art style is good. Rather have like SD anime waifus or something at that point. Hell had like a really cool toon link by Good Smile Company that basically shyts on whatever the funko pop equivalent could be.

Edit: I mourn collecting for the sake of collecting as well. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:30 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I haven't shopped there in years but I miss the ritual. I miss browsing shelves not really knowing what you might find. Even the Best Buy in my area is getting anemic.

I do wish they could find a niche. Maybe re-brand that shit. The GameStop name is so tarnished for so many people 

I was surprised by how small the gaming section got at one of the Best Buy’s in my area. They even slightly remodeled the store to focus more on in store pick up and shipping. One side of the store is just a giant pick up counter.

59 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I was surprised by how small the gaming section got at one of the Best Buy’s in my area. They even slightly remodeled the store to focus more on in store pick up and shipping. One side of the store is just a giant pick up counter.

Our is getting pretty barren all around (but the one down the street next to the richies is pretty damn stuffed).

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fewer customers so they start stocking less. Less stock is less reason to go there, so fewer customers.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't closed it down yet.