Man, Dark Souls really ruined action games huh

stepee

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bloodborne maybe as well.

Bloodborne is very much similar to Sekiro in the sense that build variety is limited.  Where it differs from Sekiro is that the pace of its combat is significantly slower which represents the "compensating" factor for the "dexterity-challenged".

• Halal 1

I don’t think it’s actually dominating the action genre either, just annoying when it pops up and I definitely would like to see it become less of a thing (difficult games without good options for less skilled players) and not more of a thing. Also I just really want Lies of P and I’m scared.

I chose the topic title because it’s a super hot take but I stole it from someone else which provides me cover :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I don’t think it’s actually dominating the action genre either, just annoying when it pops up and I definitely would like to see it become less of a thing (difficult games without good options for less skilled players) and not more of a thing. Also I just really want Lies of P and I’m scared.

I chose the topic title because it’s a super hot take but I stole it from someone else which provides me cover :D

At least on PC we have mods to mess with these games.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

At least on PC we have mods to mess with these games.

Yeah, Returnal is my first experience doing this and I’m enjoying it! Just leaving health as is and increasing damage seems to strike a good balance for me. I will definitely play Sekiro this way as well, I know @Commissar SFLUFAN enjoyed that 

• Halal 1

I've always felt you do a game a disservice by not at least attempting to play at a higher difficulty level.  So many games are just simply completely different experiences playing when the game is offering more of a challenge.  

That being said, I also don't care if more difficulty options are added to games to make them more manageable for those struggling.  

The only time people playing on easier difficulties sometimes irck me, is when reviewers play on easier difficulties, then judge the game based off how it plays on those difficulties.  Don't think its totally fair to the devs to judge a game and not really interacting with a large portion of game mechanics because it's not required to do so on easy.

• True 1

I do think it’s fair for developers to provide reviewers their recommended difficulty and for reviewers to judge that one, but if a game is too hard for the reviewer they should try it on easy and see if that resolves the problem for them. Because I also don’t like when they knock down a game too far because it’s too difficult when there is an easier mode they aren’t using, it’s not giving me a full view.

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The only time people playing on easier difficulties sometimes irck me, is when reviewers play on easier difficulties, then judge the game based off how it plays on those difficulties.  Don't think its totally fair to the devs to judge a game and not really interacting with a large portion of game mechanics because it's not required to do so on easy.

Reason #162 why gaming reviews are useless for the most part. They should at least include in the review what difficulty they played on and how that impacted the experience. They don't even do that. I can't tell you how many times I played a game after reading a review (when I still read them) and walked away with a completely different experience than what the reviewer described. It's one of the reasons I have very little faith in gaming reviews and its gotten even worse in the youtube era when any schmoe can be a reviewer of pretty much anything.

• True 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Does that one have difficulty options? Do we know?

lies-of-p-image-3.jpg
GAMINGBOLT.COM

Developer Neowiz speaks with GamingBolt about it's upcoming Pinocchio-inspire Soulslike action RPG.

How will Lies of P approach difficulty? Will the game have difficulty options?

First, I want to talk about how we defined the essence of Soulslike. Soulslike is a genre that requires strong judgment from every player.

It is not only a simple action genre that requires good body acuity, quick hand movements, and overall quickness, but also a genre that makes players constantly think about the most practical and timely choice. These parts are the real essence of Soulslike. So we often say each player’s level continuously rises throughout the whole process.

Likewise, we have configured the same to require the player’s experience level. There are many options. From combining weapons and strengthening the left arm to how to level up, these choices determine each player’s combat tendency, and getting the right strategy should be a game’s difficulty setting. We followed these principles to express the critical points of Lies of P, and we have been trying to make each player think about how to accept a given task and plan a strategy.

The difficulty level will be adjusted to a similar level to those popular Soulsike titles. Metaphorically speaking, if you compare a game’s difficulty with a spicy food dish, sometimes that spiciness is thanks to the combination of really high quality ingredients, while other times it’s simply because the dish is filled with chemicals that are spicy themselves. When it comes to game design and difficulty level, we’re definitely aiming for the former.

In a word, Lies of P won’t be using the game difficulty option.

• Haha 1

Souls games(the real ones from From) don’t really require extra skill though. They’re not like fighters or shooters where diminishing twitch reflexes have an effect on your ability to compete. Souls games are way more about patience and a willingness to learn patterns than actual skill. People beat these games with dance pads lol. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

You know what would be a good optional extra, 15 second rewind. If you die, rewind won’t work. 

I could see getting mileage out of this, to at least help with that I will very likely zone way out and get hit about once a minute or so in games 

I don't agree with the idea that the souls games are patience based or however you'd like to word it. Never bothered to learn boss patterns either, at least not consciously.

I kind just play by dodging the attacks and then hitting them. Sure, often I am not making the first move so I can then "punish" the boss, but I don't really consider it patience. I feel like cowardly persistence if the key to the Souls games.

17 hours ago, Bacon said:

Qf7pPrh.png

wait, how is Dark Souls remastered so low? is it not the same as the original?

Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3 rated equal… thats not a good sign for me…

playing through Dark Souls 3 at the moment. Its a well made game no doubt, but you can feel the very deliberate design applying everything players did to beat the original Dark Souls and designing counters to it.. the areas look great and all but I feel a disconnect  of the story from the areas youre actually playing through… the original felt tightly cohesive..If Elden Ring is just an amplification of the same then I guess maybe it will be good for just 1 playthrough

I play games mostly to relax, and difficult games aren’t relaxing to me. But there are also a billion options to play now, so I don’t feel bad about skipping certain highly praised games because I frankly don’t have enough time to play all highly praised games anyway!

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I play games mostly to relax, and difficult games aren’t relaxing to me. But there are also a billion options to play now, so I don’t feel bad about skipping certain highly praised games because I frankly don’t have enough time to play all highly praised games anyway!

This! That FOMO out that @skillzdadirecta talked about is really hard to overcome. It’s taken me personally a long time to get to a place where I don’t feel guilty about not buying every AAA game that comes out. Wasted a lot of money on Bethesda games before I finally admitted to myself that I just don’t love their games and there’s nothing wrong with that. Plenty of other games to be spending time not having fun. Now we’re just working on not feeling guilty about not finishing games haha. 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, stepee said:

Super hot take. I'm gonna gatekeep. 

If you are at a stage in your life where how good a game is is affected by it's difficulty (read your lack of skill) and don't care that your lack of skill is a deficincy on your behalf that you can change and don't want to don't buy the games. 

Elden Ring is less then 59.99. The decade it took me to be at the point in my life my exwife is a person I want to be my wife. 59.99 to get my ass kicked cuz I'm a masochist is cheap and easy.

A genre made by a masochist for masochists is a global top seller. We live in interesting times I guess. Imagine your life being so bad that getting your teeth kicked in and overcoming it connects with you in a way I'd say Zelda BOTW and it's sequel won't because of how easy they will be in comparison. Miyazaki makes games he wants to play. Nintendo is making the game more people will want to play. If one of those is cooler then another buy Elden Ring over Zelda and feel confident that Zelda isn't good enough for you and you can keep living without it.

Posting maybe worth resuming. Still debating. 

Mad cuz United are being exposed as pretenders to the title. 

13 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Super hot take. I'm gonna gatekeep. 

If you are at a stage in your life where how good a game is is affected by it's difficulty (read your lack of skill) and don't care that your lack of skill is a deficincy on your behalf that you can change and don't want to don't buy the games. 

Elden Ring is less then 59.99. The decade it took me to be at the point in my life my exwife is a person I want to be my wife. 59.99 to get my ass kicked cuz I'm a masochist is cheap and easy.

A genre made by a masochist for masochists is a global top seller. We live in interesting times I guess. Imagine your life being so bad that getting your teeth kicked in and overcoming it connects with you in a way I'd say Zelda BOTW and it's sequel won't because of how easy they will be in comparison. Miyazaki makes games he wants to play. Nintendo is making the game more people will want to play. If one of those is cooler then another buy Elden Ring over Zelda and feel confident that Zelda isn't good enough for you and you can keep living without it.

Posting maybe worth resuming. Still debating. 

Mad cuz United are being exposed as pretenders to the title. 

Everyone always complains that I like every game so I need this 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Everyone always complains that I like every game so I need this 

Give me a bit PC?

The short version of that post is do you want to take the Elden Ring pill from me. Lol im high sorry. I get technical high.

32 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Give me a bit PC?

The short version of that post is do you want to take the Elden Ring pill from me. Lol im high sorry. I get technical high.

I actually beat Elden Ring and almost all the optional bosses!