PC Community Thread

stepee

5 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Consoles though are highly optimized pieces of hardware, so developers have a very specific benchmark to hit when designing games. It's much different for PC with its millions of potential hardware specs, and storage speeds. I don't see the PS5 and XSeries disproving my theory that we won't be seeing games on PC only requiring SSDs, let alone nvme-based drives anytime soon. Again, it'll take years. How many years? Not sure. Probably 2-3 years, and given how much development times have increased over the years. 

But there can be use-cases where companies, or even developers can help to convince gamers to upgrade to SSDs, or even NVMe drives by having comparisons with loading screens (or lack thereof), plus if there are no duplicate assets required, file sizes can also be reduced. Quite honestly, Sony did just that with the PS5 showcase with Dana Carvey playing the role of Mark Cerny showing the advantages of using SSDs vs HDD, plus GPU decompression to help offload the cycles normally used on the CPU. 

The games would be made around using the m.2, though. Thus, it would be weird not to take advantage of m.2s on PC for the port. I think you're confusing my statement with making m.2s a requirement - I'm talking about "taking advantage of m.2s".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

PC gaming is an afterthought/sideline for a lot of console developers.  Forspoken used DS, but I don't think it was fundamentally designed around it.  Was it actively streaming in large amounts of data? 

Forspoken doesn’t use the gpu decompression part of direct storage and the way in which it utilizes it also beneficial to hard drives and actually makes them more usable than they otherwise would be - I’m not paying attention to whose argument that helps, just what I know of that games use

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Forspoken doesn’t use the gpu decompression part of direct storage and the way in which it utilizes it also beneficial to hard drives and actually makes them more usable than they otherwise would be - I’m not paying attention to whose argument that helps, just what I know of that games use

I think, at worst, we would see games simply run better on PCIE m.2s and have varying degrees of "wait a sec while this loads" on other storage formats. Kind of like Hogwarts Legacy on PC with the stupid pauses before opening doors sometimes (FFS I HAVE IT ON A GEN4 7500GB/S M.2 - WHY)

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think, at worst, we would see games simply run better on PCIE m.2s and have varying degrees of "wait a sec while this loads" on other storage formats. Kind of like Hogwarts Legacy on PC with the stupid pauses before opening doors sometimes (FFS I HAVE IT ON A GEN4 7500GB/S M.2 - WHY)

Try it now and see - they released a patch yesterday that addresses a lotttt of things including streaming in Hogwarts itself. I didn’t get a chance yet but I’m curious because they list so much in the patch notes directly related to different performance aspects.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The games would be made around using the m.2, though. Thus, it would be weird not to take advantage of m.2s on PC for the port. I think you're confusing my statement with making m.2s a requirement - I'm talking about "taking advantage of m.2s".

Truthfully, I think it's weird not to take advantage either, but developers be developers. And yeah, I probably mistakened your previous comment. 

Okay patch times are just getting out of hand and they need an option out in to go back to the way things were if you have no data cap. 

At least what I believe happened is certain types of patches that have to patch large data sets used to require people to redownload the game essentially - so of course people complained about this. If you have a data cap and an 80gb game makes you redownload it two times you’ve done like a quarter of your allotted bandwidth so I get it.

But the alternative now is this incredibly slow patching and installing process that is 20x or so slower than just redownloading it. I keep forgetting this too and waste a bunch of time until I finally cancel the patch and redownload.

I don’t think the answer is to go back since a lot of people still have data caps but what would be nice is if you had an option to “redownload on patch” for people who don’t have a data cap so that they can take advantage of the much quicker solution.

Ideally since not all patches are like this it would be a slider that lets you pick if say it’s patching over 5gb of data to redownload. I think that would be a pretty nice feature these days.

I have noticed this sometimes as a problem on my Steam Deck (not common, because its usually patching at night).  I haven't noticed this as a problem on my main gaming PC though.

Is the slow patching a factor of CPU and/or SSD speed?

Edit:  Or, do I just have the wrong games installed to see it?

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have noticed this sometimes as a problem on my Steam Deck (not common, because its usually patching at night).  I haven't noticed this as a problem on my main gaming PC though.

Is the slow patching a factor of CPU and/or SSD speed?

Edit:  Or, do I just have the wrong games installed to see it?

If you have Hogwarts that patch today does it. I think the new Returnal patch as well but I switched that to redownload right away so idk for sure. 

On pc you might be getting the automatic patches over night and not noticing them, Steam also seems to be delaying and spreading out patch updates to accommodate. If you aren’t actively looking to get the latest patches applied asap you might not notice it as much. Steam Deck doesn’t download when on sleep so you’d likely notice it there more easily.

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm not a big LTT fan for a multitude of reasons, but I'm glad he made this video if only because I was always curious what's actually in that scam-16tb SSD:

Hide contents

It's a 64gb SD CARD hot glued into a usb reader :rofl:

I enjoy LTT's content overall, though I'm also not some LTT-stan that thinking Linus is a God or anything. But especially when it comes to these types of PSA videos, they're really great at exposing shit like this. 

And yeah, it's hilarious what scammers will do on sites like Amazon. It's bullshit scams like this why I refuse to buy almost anything from Amazon. Consumers need to reconsider where they buy their shit, and for most reputable brands, you can buy directly from them rather than going through a middleman. That, or buy it locally, which is my preferred method for buying shit. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you have Hogwarts that patch today does it. I think the new Returnal patch as well but I switched that to redownload right away so idk for sure. 

On pc you might be getting the automatic patches over night and not noticing them, Steam also seems to be delaying and spreading out patch updates to accommodate. If you aren’t actively looking to get the latest patches applied asap you might not notice it as much. Steam Deck doesn’t download when on sleep so you’d likely notice it there more easily.

Ok.  Start to finish 59 seconds.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok.  Start to finish 59 seconds.

It showed it patching 30some gb of data when it was doing it? Just wondering if it already did some and this was smaller or if I just really need my new cpu asap.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It showed it patching 30some gb of data when it was doing it? Just wondering if it already did some and this was smaller or if I just really need my new cpu asap.

Yes.  I clicked to start the download, it took 3-5 seconds to really get going, another 15 seconds to download the patch (around 550MB I think), 39 seconds to patch around 30GB of files.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Clearly your devices and PC know you ordered a 7950x3D build and are now mocking you until it arrives.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yes.  I clicked to start the download, it took 3-5 seconds to really get going, another 15 seconds to download the patch (around 550MB I think), 39 seconds to patch around 30GB of files.

Damn yeah must be something more recent cpus are just significantly better at. 

Only other thing I can think of though is does your hard drive have free space to the size of the game? So like 70gb free? I know epic launcher warns you about slow updates if you don’t have free space the size of the game available (and I usually never do)

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Clearly your devices and PC know you ordered a 7950x3D build and are now mocking you until it arrives.

I’m just gonna strap on the psvr2 headset and not take it off until I get the shipping notice 

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn yeah must be something more recent cpus are just significantly better at. 

Only other thing I can think of though is does your hard drive have free space to the size of the game? So like 70gb free? I know epic launcher warns you about slow updates if you don’t have free space the size of the game available (and I usually never do)

I’m just gonna strap on the psvr2 headset and not take it off until I get the shipping notice 

The same update took 12:30 on my 512GB Steam Deck.  (Longer to download, as it took about 90 seconds to get the files transferring from the PC to my SD, and it seemed to DL slower than from Valve's servers.)

41 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Everyone on reddit now thinks if your video card has less than 16gb of vram it’s obsolete because RE8 and RE4 Remake use over 12gb of vram at their max settings :lol:

4070 Ti hate is justified, IMO. It is powerful enough, especially with Frame Gen, to not have to compromise graphics settings because of VRAM issues, and there are definitely scenarios at 4k when it's hitting the memory limit. Frame Gen is also not going to solve any stuttering issues with a VRAM bottleneck.  Just another example of Nvidia overcharging and under delivering.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

4070 Ti hate is justified, IMO. It is powerful enough, especially with Frame Gen, to not have to compromise graphics settings because of VRAM issues, and there are definitely scenarios at 4k when it's hitting the memory limit. Frame Gen is also not going to solve any stuttering issues with a VRAM bottleneck.  Just another example of Nvidia overcharging and under delivering.

Has nothing to do with the 4070 Ti :lol:

It’s more-so people claiming the 3080 10gb is now worthless and the 3070 is “dead”. 12gb is the new minimum and the 4070 Ti is being celebrated as the best next-gen value now.

It’s the ridiculousness of two poorly optimized games (for compression) running on the same engine has everyone becoming chicken little for vram.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:35 AM, Spork3245 said:

My brother in law wants to buy a PC with a $1500 budget, including monitor + kb/mouse. Trying to price out parts to put it together for him vs him getting a prebuilt, and wtf is going on with GPUs? Did prices on 3xxx series spike again? Most 3070s seem to avg around $600, who is buying a 3070 at this price still?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qw2cXy

I’m close.

Mobo/CPU/Ram is off a Microcenter bundle. Case price is being overridden based on buying directly from Corsair. GPU overridden price is based on eBay and r/HardwareSwap prices. Windows overridden price based on key-seller sites (might be $10-15 cheaper if I really look :p ). Monitor overridden price is based off Acer’s eBay page for their certified refurbished stock.

I went with a h100i for a few reasons: he wants RGB and with the price of that case and it coming with 3x LL120 fans + iCue controller, swapping to another case doesn’t make sense (cheaper ones seem to either not have pre-installed RGB fans for only $20-ish less, or are garbage quality), especially since iCue is the best and easiest to use rgb software by a LOT. Going for a $40-50-ish air cooler means needing to add 2-3 exhaust fans which negates the savings. Other brand 240mm AIOs seems to save $20-30, but then the loss of the RGB being easily synchronized kinda makes me feel it’s not worth the savings.

Really not sure what to change - the KB/M is really all I can think of, but decent KB/M combos don’t seem to be much different price-wise either. :thinking:

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Has nothing to do with the 4070 Ti :lol:

It’s more-so people claiming the 3080 10gb is now worthless and the 3070 is “dead”. 12gb is the new minimum and the 4070 Ti is being celebrated as the best next-gen value now.

It’s the ridiculousness of two poorly optimized games (for compression) running on the same engine has everyone becoming chicken little.

I'd definitely be hesitant to buy either of those unless they were cheap as hell because they were yet again another example of Nvidia cheaping out, but worthless is an exaggeration. 3080 is the first 80 class card to have less VRAM than the previous generation, big sadge.

There is no "value" in the next gen cards right now. Both AMD and Nvidia are upcharging.

7 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

3080 is the first 80 class card to have less VRAM than the previous generation, big sadge.

What? The 2080 had 8gb of vram. If you’re comparing 80 Ti vs 80 non-Ti (which is a bit weird IMO) then the 1080 Ti was 11gb.

7 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

There is no "value" in the next gen cards right now. Both AMD and Nvidia are upcharging.

The 4090 vs 3090 price is actually about correct with inflation being considered. The other cards are about $100-ish too high.

I had always let the "AI" on my motherboard handle the fan curve for my PC but yesterday I decided to tune it myself and I think I'm a lot happier with my curve. Before it would kind of always randomly spin up while idle or not a heavy load. So I pushed the curve back so that under those idle scenarios the  fans are only 50%. I also checked what the temps would be at higher loads, like while running RE3Remake and it never got above 90c

So far after the change it's much quieter. I probably should have done this sooner.

• Halal 1

On 3/12/2023 at 5:03 AM, Spork3245 said:

Everyone on reddit now thinks if your video card has less than 16gb of vram it’s obsolete because RE8 and RE4 Remake use over 12gb of vram at their max settings :lol:

Mind you, I was playing the demo at 1080p, but with high settings (or whatever the default settings were), it never came close to 12GB, and I'm using an RTX 3060. It probably only got to 6 maybe, but I never looked hard enough. I was too busy trying to stay alive than concern myself with how much vram I was using. 

Some recent games are starting to push back against the idea that 10gb is enough (dead space is a recent one and forspoken) but RE8 incorrectly showed vram usage in game higher than was actually being used and wouldn’t be surprised if RE4 is doing the same. 

But while dlss3 fg won’t help with vram, dlss super resolution will, so if you hit a 10gb limit on native res you can always use a dlss mode that dials it back down to within your vram limit. Right now this is mostly an issue only at native res. 

4070ti with 10gb isn’t great but I don’t think that card is aiming to be a 4k native card either so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. They should increase vram next gen tho.

What I find strange though is given this information, it would appear that vram bandwidth means jack shit. Despite those cards having only 8-10 gigs, they're still pretty damn fast, especially compared to my 3060, which I think is something like 360GB/sec bandwidth for its 12GB framebuffer. So the lack of physical ram should be offset with how fast the pool is.