Loki, Scarlet Witch and Others To Get Their Own Shows On Disney Streaming Service

Original Actors slated to Return

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I can’t imagine they’d pay for Olsen and Hiddleston for non-canon shows. 

Yeah, and it says Feige would be hands-on...which he wouldn’t be wasting his time (or Disney’s money) on if it’s not legit MCU canon.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I can’t imagine they’d pay for Olsen and Hiddleston for non-canon shows. 

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, and it says Feige would be hands-on...which he wouldn’t be wasting his time (or Disney’s money) on if it’s not legit MCU canon.

I mean, I agree, so if so I'm impressed. I was simply remaining skeptical but it makes sense that it would be canon. 

Well, I would have to guess that Scarlet Witch's series will take place after Avengers 4, because her backstory (as a super-powered being) didn't start until Age of Ultron and I think it's safe to assume we've seen her do all the interesting stuff between then and now in the movies - there just isn't much time there to work with.

13 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Well, I would have to guess that Scarlet Witch's series will take place after Avengers 4, because her backstory (as a super-powered being) didn't start until Age of Ultron and I think it's safe to assume we've seen her do all the interesting stuff between then and now in the movies - there just isn't much time there to work with.

No. It's her in high school.

• Guillotine 1

Big budgeted streaming series starring big name MCU actors? 6-8 quality episodes?  Marvel Studios producing with Kevin Feige shepherding the shows? Yes Please.

Oh, it's Loki and Scarlet Witch? Well...

Loki is one of the great MCU characters, but I feel like his strengths are outside being the lead. He's at his best playing off Thor. Still, Hiddleston is wonderful and the character is consistently entertaining. I feel like there are a ton of ways this could go, so I'll be optimistic. Oh god I hope they can get Taika Waititi to help out in some capacity.

Olsen is a talented actress playing a character that really hasn't had much to do in the MCU. If they're going to shell out the big bucks I imagine they must have a good story, so I'll be cautiously optimistic, but immediately I'm more dubious about this one. Also, if this is starring teenage Scarlet Witch, does that mean she gets her accent back, or has that just been scrubbed from the MCU? Will it be in Sakovia, with everyone speaking in bad accents? Will we get Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his terrible hair?

The Loki one has to be a prequel, right? Without getting too spoilery for the 1 guy who didn't see Infinity War, I imagine everyone involved with the ending will be back but I was assuming (hoping) that those involved with certain events prior to the snap would stick. If Loki is post Avengers 4, I might not be interested. That would make IW the 3rd fakeout for him in particular. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I wonder if this means anything for the future of the current Marvel Netflix shows. Eventually cut Netflix out of the picture on them, maybe even canceling/ending the shows? 

I think Netflix has the rights for those characters as long as they continue to make the shows.  Kind of like Sony gets to keep spiderman as long as they make a movie every X number of years.  So I don't think Netflix will let those go any time soon.

I could be wrong on that, but I think i read it in an article about the new Disney streaming service in the last week or two.

2 hours ago, TheRealSmallville said:

The Loki one has to be a prequel, right? Without getting too spoilery for the 1 guy who didn't see Infinity War, I imagine everyone involved with the ending will be back but I was assuming (hoping) that those involved with certain events prior to the snap would stick. If Loki is post Avengers 4, I might not be interested. That would make IW the 3rd fakeout for him in particular. 

Well to be fair, Fakeouts are kinda what Loki specializes in... being the Trickster and everything.

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well to be fair, Fakeouts are kinda what Loki specializes in... being the Trickster and everything.

True enough, I suppose. I guess I'm just tired of Marvel's overuse of fakeouts...Loki, Coulson, Pepper, Groot (to a degree), Bucky, everyone involved in the ending of IW...

Granted, you could say "in the comics, characters are thought dead all the time!" or "everyone knew Bucky was coming back as Winter Soldier because of the comics." To which I say:

1. These aren't the comics, so using the comic fakeout doesn't translate as well to movies and takes the tension out of every death, and

2. I've never read a Marvel comic in my life (I'm a DC guy), so Bucky was a complete surprise to me until I saw the WS trailer and I could tell it was the same guy wearing the mask :p  

This quibble of mine is minor, sure, and depending on how Wonder Woman 1984 turns out I may well have a quibble there too, so it's obviously not exclusive to the MCU. But, they do use the fakeout deaths pretty often and I was hoping IW would be the end of that.