The AI is garbage thread

314375697_422867879861116_46631580987495
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Mario Maiale shared a post on Instagram: "Whose face do you see? I’ve gotten ten different answers. #art #artlife #face #wip #workinprogress #justdraw #digitalart...
278928656_1621471891554637_7750840672700
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Mario Maiale shared a post on Instagram: "Finally wrapped it up, and I added Ollie in there as his little Hobbit buddy. Coming soon, this on an actual canvas. #digitalart #art...
294389972_1173696900076609_7966518631264
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Mario Maiale shared a post on Instagram: "In some ways, I never stopped doing landscaping. #conceptart #art #digitalart #landscape #landscaping #design...

Look! Non-pixel!

• Hugs 1

I think using machine learning for art feeds into a phenomenon thats already happening in media. Why take a risk and try something new when we can play it safe and do it by the numbers. After all we have shareholders to make happy. This is just an acceleration of that process. Just repackage the same shit over and over.

I can't wait till I can watch the Marvel x Cars x Avatar crossover

• True 1

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Let’s hear from another artist:

319015355_671509858031555_13080790904085
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Kelly McKernan shared a post on Instagram: "Edit: comments off for my sanity! What a time to be a career artist, huh? ☄️ *rolls up sleeves* ok darlings, I’ve got a platform and I’m...

I could see a solution. Build a closed platform for artists/employers that need verification before accessing. Create a network to connect artists to employers, strict NDAs about sharing any content. Basically a closed marketplace away from the public view. The goal being privacy for artists and exclusivity for employers looking for something unique. If an artist markets or shares outside the platform that's fine, but they have to identify which pieces/etc they are sharing outside the platform.

Basically artstation but not for people looking for free shit. 

Make it so! 

Maybe this is Napster for digital artists right now, and we need to create a compensation system. 

Not sure if anyone has done it yet, but I fed unogueen's OP into ChatGPT and asked for a sarcastic internet forum reply. Here it is:

Wow, thanks for sharing your deep thoughts on the topic. It's always refreshing to hear from someone who clearly has a deep understanding of both AI and the inner workings of the internet. I mean, who else but a true expert could have predicted the rise of AI and the potential impact it could have on the job market? I'm sure all the "burger flippers" out there are just quaking in their boots at the thought of being replaced by a machine. And of course, who could forget the potential impact on "craft and all of its belongings" - I mean, what's the point of even living if we can't make things by hand anymore? Thanks again for your insight, Jimbob's neighbor.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Not sure if anyone has done it yet, but I fed unogueen's OP into ChatGPT and asked for a sarcastic internet forum reply. Here it is:

Wow, thanks for sharing your deep thoughts on the topic. It's always refreshing to hear from someone who clearly has a deep understanding of both AI and the inner workings of the internet. I mean, who else but a true expert could have predicted the rise of AI and the potential impact it could have on the job market? I'm sure all the "burger flippers" out there are just quaking in their boots at the thought of being replaced by a machine. And of course, who could forget the potential impact on "craft and all of its belongings" - I mean, what's the point of even living if we can't make things by hand anymore? Thanks again for your insight, Jimbob's neighbor.

More coherent than their posts.

I asked Chat GPT about what wine pairs best with beef jerky.  Here is its response:

Beef jerky can be a tough food to pair with wine due to its strong, salty flavor. A red wine with bold flavors, such as a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Zinfandel, might be a good choice to stand up to the flavor of the jerky. Alternatively, you could try a full-bodied white wine like a Chardonnay or a Viognier.

If you prefer a lighter wine, you might try a Beaujolais or a Pinot Noir, which have a fruity flavor and a medium body that can complement the jerky. It's also worth considering serving the jerky with a sparkling wine, such as a Brut Champagne or a Prosecco, which can help to cut through the saltiness of the jerky and refresh the palate.

Ultimately, the best wine pairing will depend on your personal preferences and the specific flavors of the jerky you are serving. Experimenting with different wines and seeing which ones you enjoy the most is a great way to find the perfect pairing.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

On @sblfilmsside, id be a lot more outraged if artists had stood against computers taking jobs in factories, instead of taking the “It’ll never affect me” approach. This will ruin far fewer families than that did. 

on the artists side, fuck corporations.

"Artists" are not united by any core ideology. It's an incredibly diverse group of people of all kinds of different politics and philosophies with people that evolve with the times as much as anything. As such, I'm not sure it's fair to attribute to the whole group any position like whether they were for or against factory automation.

I do also think artists have a bit more of a claim in this case. These AI tools could only be made because of the direct work of artists. But these artists never consented nor were compensated for their work that was crucial to make the tool. It's pretty fucked to me to just take their work and then profit from it. (Models that are never used for any profitable venture like research seem like fair game to me though.)

I'm certainly not inherently against distribution matching AI tools for art and I think artists themselves will ultimately benefit from it, but only *if* we build proper laws, regulations, and systems around it. In fact, properly compensating artists to help tune these models would be to everyone's benefit.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Workers never owned the style, tools, and process of making cars when automation took over.

Artists and/or corporations do own the art and means in this case and other companies are using it for their own product. It's not like they've invented a new pencil and asked people to use it to make stuff.

ed2.png

I love this because it’s also all middle management ever

6 hours ago, legend said:

In fact, properly compensating artists to help tune these models would be to everyone's benefit.

I actually think this is the direction such products will go because you can already see them seams of the technology when just sucking large quantities of content in from the research libraries. I think companies will develop better generators when they feed better and more suitable material in, and the best way to do so is employ artists to directly assist.