The AI is garbage thread

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

ITT a guy who makes his living because of copyright essentially arguing it shouldn’t exist

Not at all. What I am saying is that generative AI is just a computer doing the same thing humans do when they create art, which is to take in inspiration from other artists, using tools and techniques created by other artists, to ultimately produce things that are typically derivative and at best iterative. I would say this same principal applies to most creative efforts, not just the artistic ones. I didn't invent anything about the various businesses I operate, they are clearly derivatives of many businesses that came before. Originality is pretty much a myth.

And just a bit of additional info, I actually generate wealth by using businesses to acquire land without having to come out of pocket to make payments on them :) The movie theater business is merely one avenue I use to do this, and I continue expanding the ways in which I get other business to pay for land acquisitions. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not at all. What I am saying is that generative AI is just a computer doing the same thing humans do when they create art, which is to take in inspiration from other artists, using tools and techniques created by other artists, to ultimately produce things that are typically derivative and at best iterative. I would say this same principal applies to most creative efforts, not just the artistic ones. I didn't invent anything about the various businesses I operate, they are clearly derivatives of many businesses that came before. Originality is pretty much a myth.

You make your living because copyright laws protect studios and allow them to sell product in your theatre and let you keep a cut. What happens when AI movie generators soak up all 5000,000 films ever made and generate new ones on the fly, including reproducing plots, actors, music, etc? Would you argue that this is ethical, and accept that your theatres will close because now there is free content anywhere you want (but doesn't allow showing in theatres)? 

I look forward to your evasion and pedantics.

• Halal 1

51 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes and you can be taken to court for being iterative or being derivative too closely to the source material thus infringing on the copyright of the original artist. 

now this AI isn’t likely to undermine your income, the Mouse will have His due, but for smaller artists who may get some additional income or survive entirely by doing relatively small scale commissions on custom work, this can severely undercut their market. The answer for this shouldn’t be the same as was for large scale manufacturing: tough shit there will be something else 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

So to be clear, you believe:

1. that when you use your creative juices to take tools and make art in a style that somebody else created (like your very cool pixel art projects), that is an example of talent and practice

but

2. that when the app developers use their creative juices to create tools that make art in a style that somebody else created, that is not an example of talent and practice

I supposed we simply disagree.

And your all caps line is not true, you won't find a single example of a signature being in the image. What you will find is that the app creates things that are unintelligible but look similar to signatures because the datasets they are using to the train the model include signatures often and so the app ends up producing images that have scribbles in the areas you would often see signatures.

Pixel art isn't a "style" it's a specific medium/metric - no one invented the style it's a byproduct of the resolution of technology at the time. That's like saying oil painting is a style. It's not. Cubeism is a style, Mannerism is a style, the format isn't. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

And just a bit of additional info, I actually generate wealth by using businesses to acquire land without having to come out of pocket to make payments on them :) The movie theater business is merely one avenue I use to do this, and I continue expanding the ways in which I get other business to pay for land acquisitions. 

Dawg you bring no value to the world. You only exist because laws prevent complete vertical integration from the studios. And everything else you do is because you have money. You don't create anything. 

You are the equivalent of car dealerships for movies. 

I'll also add that without artists being able to make a living because of AI everything will end up being samey and bland similar to what is happening to current big budget movies. Because AI don't acually innovate, they just take other peoples ideas and make enough changes to prevent from being sued.

Even if the majority of artists work is derivative, you need to have that support for creative people because every once in a while something new does come along. Without that everything is just going to stagnate. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Computers don't eat don't shit. What was supposed to be the 21st century canvas has been diluted to the incessant shrieks for 'productivity', regardless if it's worth it or not. This follows in line with the cynicism that drove women away from software development in the first place, but counter = counter + 1 is just objectively better I guess. As for the argument for 'soul' or anything I imagine you consider trite humanity, remind yourself that there are legions in impoverished areas that were leaning on technology to serve as delegate producers for big bucks hollywood and videa, for their daily crumb. They are shockingly vulnerable now aren't they? Maybe thoughts and prayers?

2 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Computers don't eat don't shit. What was supposed to be the 21st century canvas has been diluted to the incessant shrieks for 'productivity', regardless if it's worth it or not. This follows in line with the cynicism that drove women away from software development in the first place, but counter = counter + 1 is just objectively better I guess. As for the argument for 'soul' or anything I imagine you consider trite humanity, remind yourself that there are legions in impoverished areas that were leaning on technology to serve as delegate producers for big bucks hollywood and videa, for their daily crumb. They are shockingly vulnerable now aren't they? Maybe thoughts and prayers?

This is true technology hasn't moved the needle on financial equality across the world or even in the United States. The middle class continues to shrink and all evidence points to this trend continuing. Meanwhile people are slaves mining for minerals and metals to feed the beast. 

23 hours ago, MarSolo said:

The Lensa AI app is basically stealing other artists’ art and fuck anyone who uses it.

Blaming the consumer is complete bs. They didn’t create the tool. 99.9% of people are doing nothing commercial with it, so they should be able to use it as they please.

but commercially, yeah, fuck them.

58 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Blaming the consumer is complete bs. They didn’t create the tool. 99.9% of people are doing nothing commercial with it, so they should be able to use it as they please.

I've said this before. But the layman probably can't name even two principles of colour theory, just picture pretty, really like. I've had to drag plenty of people to art exhibits because I'm the weirdo natch, and what gets me is that 'old masters' receive effusive praise, but people regularly shat on Basquait. Besides the overt implication, there is a loss of time and context to observe the creator's lens. AI does not live, it is not with us in time or place. Stories is how we tell history. History is not a narrative but that's apparently how our brains work, context, putting things into neat little bins. It's not like it's some secret that product culture permeates basically all our being, no point rustling that, but why do you choose to aggravate it by 'democratizing' a 'tool' that is in fact not a tool. It's one of the few things we allow to be intangible (with grand hostility apparently). Culture, religion, all born from an IDENTITY, created by relationships. And after 70,000 odd years we're really letting go? In a world that is somehow more unequal than nearly any other significant point in history???

People breathing life from dystopic texts is one hell of a turn.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I've said this before. But the layman probably can't name even two principles of colour theory, just picture pretty, really like. I've had to drag plenty of people to art exhibits because I'm the weirdo natch, and what gets me is that 'old masters' receive effusive praise, but people regularly shat on Basquait. Besides the overt implication, there is a loss of time and context to observe the creator's lens. AI does not live, it is not with us in time or place. Stories is how we tell history. History is not a narrative but that's apparently how our brains work, context, putting things into neat little bins. It's not like it's some secret that product culture permeates basically all our being, no point rustling that, but why do you choose to aggravate it by 'democratizing' a 'tool' that is in fact not a tool. It's one of the few things we allow to be intangible (with grand hostility apparently). Culture, religion, all born from an IDENTITY, created by relationships. And after 70,000 odd years we're really letting go? In a world that is somehow more unequal than nearly any other significant point in history???

People breathing life from dystopic texts is one hell of a turn.

Oh, you’re an art snob. 

*yaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn*

14 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yes and you can be taken to court for being iterative or being derivative too closely to the source material thus infringing on the copyright of the original artist.

You can’t copyright style, though. And that is what is at issue with these generative AI “art” apps. They using datasets of other works and essentially are able to replicate the style of the art in the datasets when combined with the source material the user owns. The app isn’t just taking a piece of work somebody else made and face swapping you onto it, otherwise untouched.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

You can’t copyright style, though. And that is what is at issue with these generative AI “art” apps. They using datasets of other works and essentially are able to replicate the style of the art in the datasets when combined with the source material the user owns. The app isn’t just taking a piece of work somebody else made a face swapping you onto it, otherwise untouched.

Filthy thief. At least I physically commit to my endeavours.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, unogueen said:

Can you even boil water.

'Intellectuals' like you are born from social malfunction.

I am 100% sure I’m not the one here who considers themselves to be an intellectual :p 

4 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Making the point for me. You're not. You are ardent on your inability. And you praise a machine I probably had more of a hand to develop than you have.

I haven’t praised any machines. Quite typical to insert inference beyond what has actually been written so as to buttress your own position. Poor form.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I haven’t praised any machines. Quite typical to insert inference beyond what has actually been written so as to buttress your own position. Poor form.

Is it not praise for a machine to achieve human form? What the fuck is this AI shit to begin with? If you want to admit that you prefer that the trolley take out as many people just say so. Whatever shaudenfraude you're participating in would be very 'poor form' in a lot of cases.

Just now, unogueen said:

Is it not praise for a machine to achieve human form? What the fuck is this AI shit to begin with? If you want to admit that you prefer that the trolley take out as many people just say so. Whatever shaudenfraude you're participating in would be very 'poor form' in a lot of cases.

No, it isn’t, because the machine only does what it does because a bunch of humans created it to do that thing. The machine gets no praise at all, it is useless without the creative efforts of humans. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I was kind of saying “fuck anyone who uses them” at my cousin because he was basically flaunting that he was using it to me AFTER I explained my stance to him. But he’s also one of those New York hipsters who jumps on the hot new app. 

When he’s not using that Lensa app he’s “Be Realing”.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, it isn’t, because the machine only does what it does because a bunch of humans created it to do that thing. The machine gets no praise at all, it is useless without the creative efforts of humans. 

That's a flip. Tell you what. There's a sentiment that the trawlers responsible for the data are playing VEEERRRRYY loose. So how about you go on midjorney, and test that hypothesis for me hmmm?

3 minutes ago, unogueen said:

That's a flip. Tell you what. There's a sentiment that the trawlers responsible for the data are play VEEERRRRYY loose. So how about you go on midjorney, and tsts that hypethesis for me hmmm?

Do your own work, lazy bones

At least some people have a brain

498874922.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Microsoft, GitHub, and OpenAI are being sued for allegedly violating copyright law by reproducing open-source code using AI. But the suit could have a huge impact on the wider world of artificial intelligence.

After the degenerative claptrap that is social media, do you really want more 'power to the people'?