The AI is garbage thread

joe_deepfake_hero-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

AI tech makes it trivial to generate harmful fake photos from a few social media pictures.

Deepfakes aren't new, but neither is AI.

All of us on the net have at points been prompted to train these dumb machines as busywork.

There's been a period where automation was a topic where every burger flipper was going to do the dodo.

Bet you didn't figure this.

The advent of easy access for prompt AI is already a heady shitfest, when this gets the opportunity that something like google.com or amazon.com did it's really going to 'hit it's stride'.

Nevermind the jobs, there's an assured death to craft and all of it's belongings at hand. Including the people.

Your neighbour jimbob may fare well, but there's a whole ass fucking planet of people to contend with.

29 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

It's just going to reinforce a small elite class over more poor people. 

It's a good thing we don't have anything reinforcing that now!

Trying to fight the inevitable is an incredibly stupid waste of time. Better to think of how we can go with the flow rather than die on rapidly disintegrating hills. Rants and raves won't save a single person.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Trying to fight the inevitable is an incredibly stupid waste of time. Better to think of how we can go with the flow rather than die on rapidly disintegrating hills. Rants and raves won't save a single person.

turning the tide HAS BEEN IMPORTANT.

38 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The automation dream where no one has to have a job is the liberal version of libertarian fantasy capitalist worlds. It's not going to be the utopia they think it is. Just see ALL HUMAN HISTORY to see what shits we are especially when we hold power over others. Yes the systems now reinforce the elite few and automation will only strengthen that grip. 

6 hours ago, unogueen said:

If your working posit is that ai is 'fair' and 'complete' and maybe 'correct', you're an ass.

100% it's more libertarian tech bro shit where they aren't creative enough to invent anything themselves so they built a system to just steal more creativity and content from other people so that other uncreative losers can type into a prompt and pretend they are imaginative. The very nature of these losers and lack of self awareness or understanding of creatives has a massive inherit bias. 

TLDR: I hate people 

Also I do think it's unstoppable and we're in for 30 years of even more creative blandness until people drop it like Facebook after it consumes every creative process because producers don't understand how to see the world and are soulless ai themselves. Pretty soon a bunch of brazil305s are gonna be calling every creative shot. 

Depends on the AI dudes.  The central question is: how many GPUs do your AI overlords have on hand?

Long Short Term Memory Nets&Convolutional Neural Nets>Deep Belief Network>Multilayer Perceptron>single perceptron.

Just be sure to remember that artificial intelligence doesn’t really exist, if by ‘intelligence ‘ we mean human intelligence.  AI is just data being fed through an algorithm—human intelligence is special, and cannot be replicated by a digital machine.  At the very least because the digital machine is just a meaningless bundle of funky-looking objects without it.

But that doesn’t mean it won’t enslave us anyway.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, unogueen said:

quite the ad for atomized labour.

We have been automizing parts of labor that were once purely manual for as long as we domesticated various livestock to assist in agricultural production. 

All sorts of automation and computerization has cut human labor down, and yet people continue to get jobs and work because there is always something new to create that needs the labor of humans to do.

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Making jobs obsolete with technology is a good thing. Probably the greatest driver of innovation for humanity every time we have a substantial leap as a species

Making jobs obsolete with technology is indeed a good thing; doing so without the requisite social and economic supports is a very bad thing!

• Halal 3

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Depends on the AI dudes.  The central question is: how many GPUs do your AI overlords have on hand?

Never enough.

Long Short Term Memory Nets&Convolutional Neural Nets>Deep Belief Network>Multilayer Perceptron>single perceptron.

Despite Schmidhuber's protests, LSTMs are old news. The current layer responsible for these LLMs and many other things is the transformer. MLPs are shockingly still alive and well. Virtually every architecture includes an MLP as part of it's design.

Just be sure to remember that artificial intelligence doesn’t really exist, if by ‘intelligence ‘ we mean human intelligence.  

That's right, human-like intelligence is still the gold standard by a large margin, despite the GOPs best efforts to reverse that.

AI is just data being fed through an algorithm

Not exactly. Supervised and self-supervised learning are responsible for most industry waves, but AI is thankfully much bigger than just dataset fitting.

—human intelligence is special, and cannot be replicated by a digital machine.  At the very least because the digital machine is just a meaningless bundle of funky-looking objects without it.

Almost surely not true. Modern digital computers probably don't have close to the effective compute of a the human brain, and especially not on a per watt basis. So for practical reasons, it might not end up being the computational substrate of the future for AI. We might have to invent new computer architectures.

However, for digital computers to be insufficient in principle, the Church-Turing thesis would have to wrong. That is a FAR more fantastical claim than saying digital computers can replicate human-like intelligence and it has really weird implications about reality.

But that doesn’t mean it won’t enslave us anyway.

AI won't enslave you. But powerful human actors wielding AI might.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

The Lensa AI app is basically stealing other artists’ art and fuck anyone who uses it.

My man, I’ve seen your work. Do you believe it is any less derivative of other artists before you (whose work was all derivative or maybe iterative of other before them) and their work than what Lensa is doing by training a computer artist on styles and techniques to render new pieces?

Very few pieces of art these days are truly original. Generative AI is just speeding up the process that humans do on the daily by learning from the efforts of other creative people who came before.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

My man, I’ve seen your work. Do you believe it is any less derivative of other artists before you (whose work was all derivative or maybe iterative of other before them) and their work than what Lensa is doing by training a computer artist on styles and techniques to render new pieces?

Very few pieces of art these days are truly original. Generative AI is just speeding up the process that humans do on the daily by learning from the efforts of other creative people who came before.

Let me put it this way, I make my living doing this. This app cuts into that.

I wonder how much longer before an AI cuts into other arenas…

-Maybe a music AI that takes existing music juggles it about and creates new stuff… Someone basically makes a blender that takes decades of other folks talent and cashes in at $2 per song

-Same thing for films and Tv… I remember the hype over Final Fantasy Spirits Within.. they were so convinced they hit the next step that they were already talking about “virtual actors”….. Soo custom made Onlyfans right off the virtual buffet?

2 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I wonder how much longer before an AI cuts into other arenas…

-Maybe a music AI that takes existing music juggles it about and creates new stuff… Someone basically makes a blender that takes decades of other folks talent and cashes in at $2 per song

-Same thing for films and Tv… I remember the hype over Final Fantasy Spirits Within.. they were so convinced they hit the next step that they were already talking about “virtual actors”….. Soo custom made Onlyfans right off the virtual buffet?

There's already music ai and you can tell it's just a copy. 

AI - what you're listening to is being generated live

Is just a copy of this band:

14 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Let me put it this way, I make my living doing this. This app cuts into that.

Are you more deserving of making money off derivative artwork than the app developers are by making money creating derivative artwork?

This is the essence of your position

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Are you more deserving of making money off derivative artwork than the app developers are by making money creating derivative artwork?

This is the essence of your position

What I do requires talent and practice.

What these Russians did was write a bunch of code that basically took other people’s hard work and mashed it together to make people’s photos look like they were drawn by an artist and in some cases, NOT EVEN REMOVE THE ARTIST’S SIGNATURE.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

What I do requires talent and practice.

What these Russians did was write a bunch of code that basically took other people’s hard work and mashed it together to make people’s photos look like they were drawn by an artist and in some cases, NOT EVEN REMOVE THE ARTIST’S SIGNATURE.

So to be clear, you believe:

1. that when you use your creative juices to take tools and make art in a style that somebody else created (like your very cool pixel art projects), that is an example of talent and practice

but

2. that when the app developers use their creative juices to create tools that make art in a style that somebody else created, that is not an example of talent and practice

I supposed we simply disagree.

And your all caps line is not true, you won't find a single example of a signature being in the image. What you will find is that the app creates things that are unintelligible but look similar to signatures because the datasets they are using to the train the model include signatures often and so the app ends up producing images that have scribbles in the areas you would often see signatures.