Update: Senator Sailor Moon "doesn't care" if she looses re-election because she totally freakin' rules (and you don't!)

220804144133-kyrsten-sinema-file-080322.
WWW.CNN.COM

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is leaving the Democratic Party and registering as a political independent, she told CNN's Jake Tapper in an exclusive TV interview.

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is leaving the Democratic Party and registering as a political independent, she told CNN’s Jake Tapper in an exclusive TV interview.

“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this, but actually, I think it makes a lot of sense,” Sinema said in a Thursday interview with Tapper in her Senate office.

“I’ve never fit neatly into any party box. I’ve never really tried. I don’t want to,” she added. “Removing myself from the partisan structure – not only is it true to who I am and how I operate, I also think it’ll provide a place of belonging for many folks across the state and the country, who also are tired of the partisanship.”

Sinema’s move away from the Democratic Party is unlikely to change the power balance in the next Senate. Democrats will have a narrow 51-49 majority that includes two independents who caucus with them: Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine.

While Sanders and King formally caucus with Democrats, Sinema declined to explicitly say that she would do the same. She did note, however, that she expects to keep her committee assignments – a signal that she doesn’t plan to upend the Senate composition, since Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer controls committee rosters for Democrats.

Per the Arizona Central:

She plans to caucus with Democrats, giving the party an edge on committee seats, something that could prove especially important to moving quickly on judicial nominations. But Sinema will remain uninvolved in party leadership votes and advancing the party’s broader efforts.

She envisions a more detached role for herself than the Senate’s two other independents, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine, both of whom are usually in sync with Democrats.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Senator Sailor Moon announces that she's registering as an independent, will remain part of Senate Democratic caucus
8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Essentially this is her announcement for re-election. 

I hope she can’t find staff to get signatures to qualify for the ballot

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also congrats to the Republican for winning az senate

It's absolutely a move to "blackmail" the Arizona Democratic Party into declining to run someone against her in the general election.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Senator Sailor Moon announces that she's registering as an independent, "plans to" still caucus with the Democrats
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's absolutely a move to "blackmail" the Arizona Democratic Party into declining to run someone against her in the general election.

Even if they didn’t she would have to get people to vote for her instead of leave the ballot blank. And it’s not like people in AZ don’t vote for republicans either! All they have to do is nominate someone who isn’t insane (impossible challenge) and it’s very winnable for Rs

3 hours ago, Littleronin said:

She got a taste of being the center of attention in Washington and with Warnock's win can't bear the thought of letting it go. Betting if Walker would have won this wouldn't have happened.

This. Absolutely this.

30 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

This thread title is an insult to Sailor Moon

Yeah! Big Brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark

• 10 months later...

Senator Sailor Moon gets some time in the new Mitt Romney biography:

WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

According to the new Mitt Romney biography, Sinema thinks she single-handedly saved the Senate and can now retreat to a cushy post-Congress life.

According to reporter McKay Coppins's new book, "Romney: A Reckoning," Sinema once told Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah that she could "do anything" once she's out of office and feels that what she's done in the Senate is "good enough."

"I don't care. I can go on any board I want to. I can be a college president. I can do anything," she told Romney, according to the book. "I saved the Senate filibuster by myself. I saved the Senate by myself. That's good enough for me."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Senator Sailor Moon "doesn't care" if she looses re-election because she totally freakin' rules (and you don't!)