Do you like it spicy?

Remarkableriots

I love spice. I have more hot sauces, chili powders, and dried peppers than I know what to do with. That includes some reaper, scorpion, and ghost pepper powders that I do cook with occasionally. I really love the taste of ghost pepper. Carolina Reaper is wildly spicy and not too bad, taste-wise, but a very little goes a LONG way. I really don't care much for the taste of Trinidad scorpion. Reaper is about as spicy as I can go, as long as it isn't in an oil form. Get that out of here. I don't need to die. Ghost pepper I really do love and cook with a LOT. Habaneros are regulars for me. Some diced up habaneros in a sandwich is pretty great. I also have some crushed habanero pepper, which is a fantastic upgrade over red chili pepper. 

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the highest I've gone was Habanero but Jalapeno and Cayenne taste spicier to me. 🤷‍♀️

Personally I like spicy enough that you can still taste the flavor of the food. Sometimes the spice is the only thing you taste and I'm not really a fan of that.

Yeah, any dish that’s habanero I’m like yum that’s a flavourful pepper but it’s never that spicy. Are they doing it wrong 

• Halal 1

Habanero/scotch bonnet is about where I top out in terms of like... enjoying my food. However, I do occasionally like "challenge-level" spicy. I have a few reaper sauces and I have eaten a straight reaper before (do not recommend)

I used to eat everything I could as hot as humanly possible, but I've calmed down a bit on that. I love spice, but I usually don't want to actually have tears coming out of my eyes when I'm trying to enjoy a meal.

This is the hot sauce I've been putting on everything lately:

0-3_694x.jpg?v=1574971514

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't know what my spice limit is, but usually the spicier things get the worst they taste to me. And like, if there was a way to achieve the same flavors with some things but remove the heat by 50% or more I would prefer that. 

Habanero is about the spiciest really tasty hot pepper. My pre-COVID days favorite food truck used to toss some diced up on top of my breakfast sandwiches every morning. Ghost peppers are also pretty tasty, but not as tasty as habaneros. The issue with foods that get really spicy is how they get there. Making a chili oil with anything hotter than a scotch bonnet is not going to be pleasant. Ever watch Hot Ones and see people losing it over Da Bomb Beyond Insanity? Da Bomb is gross and it's just habaneros and jalapeños. It's just a chili oil that's cooked down to get all the spice they can possibly muster, while throwing taste out the window.

I love a good tasting spicy meal that'll make me sweat and almost tear while also being super flavorful. I often make my own jerk marinade and I'll throw some ghost peppers in there, though I do fish them out because nobody wants to chomp down on a ghost pepper while eating some chicken.

• Halal 1

I went to London in 2017 and hit up Brick Lane. Ordered a phaal at the restaurant I picked. After a couple of minutes of the waiter trying to get me to order something else I realized what was going on and promised that I wouldn't complain about the food being too spicy. :drool:

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I definitely like a nice high heat that lingers after the meal is done. I do not however want to prove anything with my eating habits. On that scale I guess I fall just below give me a beer now? Not sure. 

It should burn coming back out.

• Hugs 1

Since as far back as I can remember I have always been a fan of foods with a hefty amount of spice. The myriad of hot sauces in my constant rotation evokes what the guests go through in Hot Ones & my pantry & fridge have been like that since forever. It all really depends on what I am eating that dictates what type of sauce I want to use & just how hot I feel like going.

26 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This one looks better. I have a bottle of their Pepper X Last Dab and I don't really care for it. It's ridiculously hot, but I'm just not as fan of the flavor.

It's very mustardy, so I find it doesn't go on everything. Plus, the sauce is so thick it's almost a pepper mash.

I do think it tastes good, but it's not something I would just use for like actually flavoring my food.

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's very mustardy, so I find it doesn't go on everything. Plus, the sauce is so thick it's almost a pepper mash.

I do think it tastes good, but it's not something I would just use for like actually flavoring my food.

In fairness, I haven't sat down with it and tried cooking up with a recipe that'll compliment it best. It was mostly a gift from my brother-in-law and then he had me cook up some wings. I get it's probably not its best foot forward.

Thinking about it again, it might be good on a burger with some caramelized onions. I'll buy what I need next time I do groceries and report back.

I'm thinking the burger he makes at the 6 minute mark...

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Derek said:

Years ago, me and a buddy each ate a scorpion pepper, at work. He ended up throwing up. I didn't, but was out of commission for a good 45 minutes, sick to my stomach. I like spicy, but anything seasoned past the habenero is just hot for the sake of being hot. 

Nobody should eat one of those peppers whole. That's just not a great idea. I love spicy, but I'm also not just taking bites out of peppers for the fun of it.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nobody should eat one of those peppers whole. That's just not a great idea. I love spicy, but I'm also not just taking bites out of peppers for the fun of it.

Eating fresh peppers in general is something you should only do if you want pain. Like, I love habaneros as much as the next person, but if I eat one whole, I kind of go delirious for a few minutes.

I've eaten a reaper whole and it's like... just don't do it. It will fuck up your day.

Whenever you just eat a fresh pepper like that, it's different. I've even had some jalapeños that I just ate like an apple that were more painful than 75% of hot sauces I've ever had. And I've had some of the hottest sauces in the world.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Eating fresh peppers in general is something you should only do if you want pain. Like, I love habaneros as much as the next person, but if I eat one whole, I kind of go delirious for a few minutes.

I've eaten a reaper whole and it's like... just don't do it. It will fuck up your day.

Whenever you just eat a fresh pepper like that, it's different. I've even had some jalapeños that I just ate like an apple that were more painful than 75% of hot sauces I've ever had. And I've had some of the hottest sauces in the world.

Also, yeah, a lot of the spice is in the seeds, but those seeds aren't tasty. If I'm dicing up habaneros to toss in a sandwich, I'm not leaving the seeds in because I want spice and taste.

I live spicy food, but I'm in trying to price anything to anyone. I just really like spicy food and I've eaten enough that normal person hot barely registers. Then again, I live in New England and I've ruined people's days with de-seeded poblanos.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I didn't buy any cause TSA and I don't check bags 

Well if you get a chance in the future it's delicious and a little goes a long way (but my first "dab" was treating it like a sandwich topping and pouring it on my bacon cheeseburger).

• Halal 1