Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

12 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

You can rush through it probably 10-12 but first playthrough yeah it's going to take most people around 20.

The bulk of the game is on disc 2, like 70% of it. Disc 3 is just the final dungeon.

Yeah, it’s somewhere between 15 and 20 if you’re taking your time, looking around and checking everything. 

well worth playing for those who haven’t, the graphics don’t necessarily hold up, but the world of FF7 is an incredibly interesting place. Midgar especially is almost like a character of its own.

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Very stupid how they are using the "it's on 2 discs" thing as a selling point. 

Its not that dumb, because people seem excited. Two discs = bigger games, and online it’s been a pretty big talking point so far.

I don’t care because I’m definitely not buying a physical game, and I have no problem deleting games to make room, but it’s become a buzz on social media.

”two ps5 discs, those are 100gb each, this will be huge” is basically the word online right now.

29 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its not that dumb, because people seem excited. Two discs = bigger games, and online it’s been a pretty big talking point so far.

I don’t care because I’m definitely not buying a physical game, and I have no problem deleting games to make room, but it’s become a buzz on social media.

”two ps5 discs, those are 100gb each, this will be huge” is basically the word online right now.

People being excited about something is not a convincing metric for me to think something is not dumb. 

13 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

It ends the same place disc 1 on ps1 ends, you leaving midgar. That was like 20 hours in the original, they stretched it to 40 in remake 

Disc 1 ended a long time after leaving Midgar. It ends at…

Spoiler

…Aerith being killed by Sephiroth.

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

You can rush through it probably 10-12 but first playthrough yeah it's going to take most people around 20.

The bulk of the game is on disc 2, like 70% of it. Disc 3 is just the final dungeon.

I... don't think this is true at all. FF7 takes < 40 hours to beat unless you're going bananas and trying to get everything. HLTB has the average playtime at 37 hours, nobody's spending 20 in Midgar.

• Halal 2

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Anything that drives interest is good marketing.

1. Have not seen any compelling evidence that this is “driving interest” outside your personal umbrella of online impressions. 

2. It can be “good marketing” and still dumb 

3. this is exhausting 

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I... don't think this is true at all. FF7 takes < 40 hours to beat unless you're going bananas and trying to get everything. HLTB has the average playtime at 37 hours, nobody's spending 20 in Midgar.

This longplay for instance is 35 hours. With escape from Midgar being a bit less than 6 hours.

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This longplay for instance is 35 hours. With escape from Midgar being a bit less than 6 hours.

I did this too, I thought my 100% file of FF6 was something like 200 hours, then I found the cart a while back, booted it up and it the endgame save was just under 60.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

1. Have not seen any compelling evidence that this is “driving interest” outside your personal umbrella of online impressions. 

Don't disagree with your other points, and while what is trending on twitter also depends on twitter's perceived interests of the user, "TWO DISCS" was trending last night.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Don't disagree with your other points, and while what is trending on twitter also depends on twitter's perceived interests of the user, "TWO DISCS" was trending last night.

Yeah and baby gronk and some lady were trending too and I also think that is dumb. 

But yeah point taken that the two discs certainly is a talking point that grabbed some attention. 

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah and baby gronk and some lady were trending too and I also think that is dumb. 

OK, but pretty sure to most people that would be considered compelling evidence or whatever. You thinking it's dumb is meaningless to everyone else. It's working for some people and that's really all that matters.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

OK, but pretty sure to most people that would be considered compelling evidence or whatever. You thinking it's dumb is meaningless to everyone else. It's working for some people and that's really all that matters.

The reason I said it was exhausting is because I was literally saying “well that’s dumb” as you would to a friend about a thing you think is dumb. I didn’t need a marketing breakdown of it and clarification that while it may be dumb to me it might not be to others haha. 

44 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The reason I said it was exhausting is because I was literally saying “well that’s dumb” as you would to a friend about a thing you think is dumb.

Must be a Nebraska phrase. No one says that around these here parts I reckon. :p

• Sicko 1

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I did this too, I thought my 100% file of FF6 was something like 200 hours, then I found the cart a while back, booted it up and it the endgame save was just under 60.

Yeah I don't know I guess I just play much slower (and also have a bad memory) I've replayed ff7 literally 10 times and my file is always over 100 hours because I go for 100% completion, 3X Master Materia, full 99 party and on two ocassions I even maxed everyone's stats to 255 by morphing enemies that turn into the stat boost items.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH (Remake Part 2) - Coming February 29th, 2024
On 6/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, on the high side, Midgar is 8-10 hours. I just replayed it this summer. It’s not even the majority of Disk 1. Maybe half of it.

and it’s not like theres a lot to explore and discover in Midgar, it’s mostly linear until the end of the chase. There are a few secrets, but not a ton. 

I downloaded Remake last night and am starting a play through I intend to finish before rebirth launches. 

I almost bought the CE, but then I saw the price. 350$ is a bit much for a game and a Sephiroth statue. I want the statue, just not 350$ want the statue.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - Coming February 29th, 2024, update: preview articles and videos

Hands-on previews articles:

TECHRAPTOR.NET

We go hands-on with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - an in-depth demo showcase of the ever-evolving Final Fantasy VII Remake series.

This emphasis on exploration seems to be the dividing factor between Remake and Rebirth. If far more of the game is like Junon, I can absolutely see why they’re already saying it’s going to take 100 hours to do everything. Just the 70 or so minutes I did play felt like it was only scratching the surface of what was possible.

On the presentation side of things, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is in line with what we saw in Remake, but there’s a lot more going on. The bigger areas are really pushing the scale, and they look plenty beautiful with striking lighting and the high-quality character and environment models that go along with everything else.

There were some familiar tunes as well, and again the story content had some cheeky nods to the original FFVII. This demo too ends with a boss encounter, and including some of the more wacky elements from that game is so cheeky, but you know if they didn’t have them then it just wouldn’t be the same.

Story-wise, Rebirth again feels very familiar, and yet also different. This is due in part to the tremendous difference in scale and presentation – here, like with Remake, areas that were previously sparse or bare are expanded out into lush zones to explore. But there are also little changes that are mostly inconsequential, but they still play out in different ways than fans of the original FF7 are used to. Climbing Mt. Nibel with Cloud, Sephiroth, and Tifa is effectively the same as people will remember it, right down to specific scenes like Sephiroth explaining how materia is crystallized Mako. And then you’ll run into something different, like needing to use a big honkin’ vacuum cleaner to hoover up some mako fumes before you can use an elevator.

Finally, there’s the question of bigger changes. The end of Remake retcons a character death with fairly significant implications for FF7’s story. Rebirth will cover through the end of the original game’s first disc. Whether the story-changing Whispers of Fate will show up again remains to be seen.

WWW.IGN.COM

With a brand new Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth trailer revealing the release date is imminent (February 29), we here at IGN naturally are full of questions about this next installment in the trilogy of games remaking and essentially rewriting the original classic. So we did the only thing that made sense: we peppered the game's developers with these questions, and brought the answers back to you.

With a brand new Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth trailer revealing the release date is imminent (February 29), we here at IGN naturally are full of questions about this next installment in the trilogy of games remaking and essentially rewriting the original classic. So we did the only thing that made sense: we peppered the game's developers with these questions, and brought the answers back to you.

We spoke to creative director Tetsuya Nomura, producer Yoshinori Kitase, and director Naoki Hamaguchi about everything we just saw in that trailer: Vincent, Zack Fair, chocobos, the Gold Saucer, the open world, and the name "Rebirth" all included. And while the game's leads aren't revealing every mystery right away, we did come away with some cool new details about what we can expect. 

WWW.IGN.COM

Zack Fair fans, do we have some good news for you. Not only do we know that the smooth-talking hero of Final Fantasy: Crisis Core will appear in Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth - but it looks like he's getting an entire episode all for himself.

Zack Fair fans, do we have some good news for you. Not only do we know that the smooth-talking hero of Final Fantasy: Crisis Core will appear in Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth - but it looks like he's getting an entire episode all for himself.

We learned this in our recent interview with Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth producer Yoshinori Kitase, in which he talked briefly about some of the differences between Rebirth and the corresponding segment of the original Final Fantasy 7. Kitase said that the order of certain events in the storyline of Rebirth might differ from the original, and the order in which characters join the party has been "reimagined." But largely, Rebirth tells the story of Final Fantasy 7 from the end of Remake up to the Forgotten Capital sequence.

But also...it seems like it adds a bit more - involving Zack specifically.

"Furthermore, as you know, within the original Final Fantasy 7, the character Zack Fair is one that doesn't appear as much in the original title," he said. "However, we see at the end of Remake that he has appeared, which, you know, is quite a difference from the original title. And as for Rebirth, there will be a new episode with Zach, that will contain even more of him than the Remake. I'm not able to say much more than this as I would like for players to play and experience this with it in their own hands."

WWW.IGN.COM

The most recent trailer for Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth gave us a good look at a lot of different activities involving chocobo: riding, climbing, and Gold Saucer races. And while IGN has learned that chocobo breeding is out of the question, it sounds like there'll be plenty else to do with the goofy rideable birds in Rebirth.

The most recent trailer for Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth gave us a good look at a lot of different activities involving chocobo: riding, climbing, and Gold Saucer races. And while IGN has learned that chocobo breeding is out of the question, it sounds like there'll be plenty else to do with the goofy rideable birds in Rebirth.

Speaking to IGN in an interview, director Naoki Hamaguchi unfortunately confirmed that there's no chocobo breeding system in Rebirth. But there will be plenty of chocobos just in general. Cloud and his buds will be able to use them to climb cliffs and reach new areas that are inaccessible by walking. And even though breeding is out of the question, he adds that there's an "enhanced new chocobo capturing feature" that can be used to acquire chocobo in the first place.

And then, of course, there's chocobo racing at the Gold Saucer:

"For the Rebirth chocobos, each of them has their own unique name and they are able to enter the Gold Saucer races. There's also equipment that is specifically designed for chocobos to equip that will enhance their stats and it will affect their performance in chocobo races...There are several race tracks that are available and just within the chocobo racing contest, there's many varied courses that one could challenge. So, in terms of play hours that can be devoted, it's quite, you know, copious amounts of hours that one could spend on chocobo racing."

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

In Rebirth, Square Enix is aiming to make meaningful additions to Final Fantasy 7 Remake's gameplay to tell a bigger story.

In 2020, Square Enix managed to pull off what many thought impossible by remaking Final Fantasy 7 and delivering a game that reimagined the beloved role-playing classic with modern day gameplay. With gorgeous visuals and an exciting hybrid combat system, Final Fantasy 7 Remake proved to be a huge success. The remake focused on only a small part of the original 1997 release, opting to forgo an epic adventure for a more focused character-driven action-RPG. But we all knew that, inevitably, the story of Cloud, Tifa, Barrett, and Aerith would need to break out of the confines of Midgar and venture beyond, and with that Square Enix would need to address narrative moments that have become so iconic within the culture of video games that even people that haven't played Final Fantasy 7 have an understanding of their impact. Where Final Fantasy 7 Remake narrowed its focus, its follow-up--and the second in a trilogy of games, that will tell the complete Final Fantasy 7 story--Rebirth, necessitates much greater ambition.

The end of Remake indicates that the developers are choosing to both honor the original FF7 but also establish this trilogy as its own unique experience. After hours of hinting at it, in the closing moments of Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Square Enix made the first move in its ambitious narrative gambit by introducing the idea of a divergent timeline and multiverses, where both what has come before can exist but also the characters can forge a new future. It was a controversial move, but one that, from a narrative perspective, means that longtime fans and the general gaming community don't have as comfortable a grip on how things are going to play out as they thought. After playing through about an hour of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, I can't say I have any clearer understanding of where things are going and, I suspect, Square Enix will endeavor to keep it that way up until release, when players can experience it firsthand.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

A Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth gameplay preview leaves me desperate to learn and see more

Against the backdrop of euphoric E3 cheer, Final Fantasy 7 Remake's earliest trailer warned that the "reunion at hand may bring joy; it may bring fear," encouraging fans to "embrace whatever it brings" – as if to react to the eventual pause among many who would go on to learn that the remake is a three-part project that expands greatly upon the original. Rebirth matters, then, in the way Square Enix positions it as being free of the original game's narrative due to the events of Remake. Now that the very meta beings keeping Final Fantasy 7's timeline in place have been defeated, Rebirth is free to go further off the tracks. 

While our preview session does little to reveal those plans, the latest trailer and information dump did plenty to fuel fan theories, especially as creative director Tetsuya Nomura says Rebirth ends at the location of the original game's most shocking scene. History within the game could be majorly rewritten, though I'm at ease embracing "whatever it brings." While the Remake project will likely stand as the definitive telling of the story for newer fans, all the other games relating to Final Fantasy 7 are preserved to the point that they may stand alongside it. 

The project's massive narrative swing brings everyone together to theorize over the mystique of what's next – a community clamoring that might not have happened if the Remake project had remained entirely faithful. Despite all the changes that are likely to come, then, previewing Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth reassures me that the game won't be morphed into something unrecognizable. And now, I'm keener for the unfamiliar; what it brings.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Our PS5 impressions from a hands on event -

That's perhaps a reflection of the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth preview as a whole: a grand teaser for what Square Enix has planned for PS5 owners next year, but there wasn't enough meat on the bones for us to form any definitive conclusions. Well, besides the fact you can play as Sephiroth. By giving us a quick taste of its linearity coupled with some more open-ended exploration, the publisher appears to have structured its next PS5 heavyweight around the story and then built upon its PS1 source material where it can. Just like the Midgar of Final Fantasy VII Remake, you'll be spending so much more time in the narrative's most iconic locations, with a lot more to see and do. If that's not a Final Fantasy VII fan's dream, we don't know what is.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Two-part Tokyo Game Show demo gives us a tantalizing taste of what’s to come next February.

Yes, you’ll be able to play as Sephiroth. As part of a new gameplay trailer earlier this year, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth confirmed a key scene from the original would feature in this, the second entry in a three-game project of the seminal PS1 classic. In 1997, that moment – a younger, revenge-driven Tifa facing off against Sephiroth – formed part of an extended playable flashback. Back then, the SOLDIER legend was but an NPC in your party. In last week’s State of Play, a new trailer revealed not only would that flashback be present in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth in some capacity, but an accompanying interview confirmed the One-Winged Angel will be DualSense ready. And now, thanks to a new hands-on with a preview build of the game, we know what playing as Sephiroth will feel like.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We checked out two demos of the upcoming sequel and spoke to its principal designers to answer some burning questions.

While it’s tough to get a sense of the scope and narrative by playing two out-of-context sections, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth preserves the combat I loved in its predecessor and freshens it up with fun new mechanics and attacks. The open-world activities were decent diversions, and while I’m curious to see what else Square fills its worlds with, the main narrative will always be the biggest draw next to the action. And so far, Rebirth has the battle chops and the intrigue to have me counting the days until it shakes up the story further. 

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Find out why the game is two discs, if you can transfer data from Remake, and more.

After playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the first time (check out my full impressions here), I then spoke with director Naoki Hamaguchi, producer Yoshinori Kitase, and creative director Tetsuya Nomura to seek answers to some burning questions. That includes how much narrative ground Rebirth covers, the decision behind splitting it between two discs, and if there’s any form of data transfer between Remake and Rebirth.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

One of my favourite things to do in Final Fantasy 7 Remake was to simply look up. Finally you could see the plates of M…

Rebirth has some changes, then, both compared to the original and Remake. There are tweaks to the story, new wrinkles in combat, and an open world brimming with potential. Visually it's hugely impressive too, a step up from Final Fantasy 16. It's familiar yet fresh, the sort of magical spectacle fans will relish.

And with the latest trailer from the recent PlayStation State of Play, there's an exuberant display of fan service: the Gold Saucer returns with updated minigames, familiar characters will be playable, and some truly spectacular looking summons will be included. Sadly, none of this was in the preview build I played.

Yet will there be more fundamental plot changes? How will this second part end? And what's up with Zack? I'm itching to find out.

WWW.VG247.COM

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth doesn’t want to reinvent the wheel, but is content to iterate. A good job, then, that it’s iter…

This is the promise of FF7 Rebirth. It’s pretty rare that Final Fantasy’s developers get a chance to iterate. Usually, they’re throwing everything out from one game to the next. Past occasions where they have iterated, like the FF13 series, haven’t been planned – FF13 got sequels out of budget-balancing necessity, not because of a plan. This has all been planned and prepared for, though. And you can just tell.

The result is a curious amount of content reuse, admittedly. Even battle barks - Aerith still hollers “Here’s one for you!” when she slings a ranged spell, and sing-songs “I’m coming~!” when you switch to direct control of her in combat, for instance. I was quite surprised to hear a fair bit of reused music, too - as you ascend Mt. Nibel, you’ll hear the same reactor dungeon music from the original game. Both bosses used tracks from FF7 Remake, but with some new phase transition stems. All this is theoretically fine, though - because for all that is ‘reused’, there’s a hell of a lot here that’s new.

But make no mistake: this is more of the same. Don’t expect anything radical, at least in terms of how it feels, plays, or even looks - it’s a wider-scoped, smoother-running, moderately better-looking version of what we saw on PS5 in the Intergrade re-release. I expect the left-field twists and turns to largely be saved for the story - and I expect in that area they’ll be plentiful.

WWW.RPGSITE.NET

During a hands-on session at Square Enix HQ we had the chance to play the upcoming follow-up to RPG Site's RPG of the Year for 2020.

There was more to 2020's Final Fantasy VII Remake than first met the eye by practically every metric, including in how bold it was going to be in making changes to the original. That raises the stakes, and in many ways means that the biggest challenge for the remake series was always actually going to be how Square Enix followed up on it with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and beyond. Thankfully - at least considering what we've played - it looks poised to be on the right track.

Unsurprisingly, much of Rebirth's DNA is lifted wholesale from Remake. This is an iterative sequel, after all. Characters attack and animate very similarly; if you look closely, you can clearly tell which assets have been smartly reused to expedite development. Those who listen carefully will hear things like reused battle barks as characters let rip with abilities, and reused music cues from the first entry in the FF7 Remake series. None of this truly matters, though - because what's most readily apparent when Rebirth is taken as a whole is how Square Enix has managed to make Rebirth feel like less of a sequel to Remake, and more of a natural extension of the concepts that existed in the previous game.

Part of the Final Fantasy conundrum has always been that the series is all about reinvention - which means throwing out everything every time and starting anew. If anything, Rebirth looks to be making a case for what Final Fantasy can achieve with a sequel when it doesn't have to do that. The result is a game that feels more confident, and with greater breadth and depth - the foundation of Remake allowing Rebirth to be a more accomplished experience all-around.

WWW.RPGSITE.NET

Here's seven interesting mechanical changes and additions we noticed in our first hands-on with FF7 Rebirth.

RPG Site recently got to go hands-on with the same demo of FF7 Rebirth that’s available for the public to play this week at Tokyo Game Show - and as well as our full FF7 Rebirth preview discussing our experience with the demo in-depth, we wanted to to break out a few mechanical notes about how Rebirth differs from Remake in terms of how it plays.

So, without further ado - here’s seven new mechanics that we saw that’ll change up how you play with Cloud & company in FF7 Rebirth,

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

After 30 minutes roaming the wilds of Junon I cannot wait to see more.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth’s promise of an open world has worried me since it was revealed. In Remake we saw a 40-hour adventure confined to Midgar, with Square Enix expanding what was a small part of the original game into a much grander adventure with bigger locations, new characters, and a subversive reinvention of the narrative its sequel is bound to build on.

There was a fear that recreating the world we all know and love at an appropriate scale with modern production values and mechanics would prove impossible, or at least risk diluting so much of it with needless grinding and superfluous side activities. The last thing I want to see Cloud doing is collecting 500 chocobo feathers in exchange for a weapon he’ll never use. It seems my fears are unfounded though, since even after spending 30 minutes darting about the dilapidated plains of Junon I’m left with a surprising amount of optimism. This world feels alive and ripe with purpose, refusing to lose any of its character or depth in pursuit of scope.

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

We go hands on with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, checking out the new Synergy Skills, Chocobo riding and more.

Whether you loved it or loathed it (or were somewhat indifferent to it), Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth continues with the same action-first combat style of Remake. You’ll run around in battle areas, doling out light attacks in real-time to build up the ATB meter and then let you use skills and spells, and swapping between characters to make use of their respective ATB meters and abilities.

Rebirth expands on this, though, with Synergy, bringing two characters together for a powerful attack to unleash on an enemy or combined ability. Synergy Skills are used while guarding and don’t use up ATB charges, giving you two options that change depending on your battle buddies, which could be a charged up and more powerful attack or a more defensive counterstrike. Then there’s the confusingly similar sounding Synergy Abilities, which are equivalent to the ultimate Limit Break attacks.

We used the first half of our demo, with The Fated Mt. Nibel Mission, flashing back to a time where Sephiroth and Cloud were partners within SOLDIER, heading up to a mako reactor at the top of the mountain. It builds up to a battle with a Materia Guardian, with Sephiroth’s raw abilities very much on show.

WCCFTECH.COM

Wccftech recently went hands-on with two chapters of the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, seeing the first moments of playable Sephiroth.

Wccftech recently visited the Square-Enix headquarters in Los Angeles, CA, to go hands-on with the first public demo for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Those who are lucky enough to attend Tokyo Game Show 2023 will also be able to experience the same two-chapter demo that we had the privilege of running through. Both demos ran natively on PlayStation 5 debug hardware, and while the option to play in Performance Mode was available, our hands-on was exclusively with the Graphical fidelity mode. Much like part one of the Final Fantasy VII remakes, the Graphics/Performance mode will target 4K resolution and 60 FPS, respectively.

PRESS-START.COM.AU

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Hands-On Preview – Breaking The Limits

If what I played here is anything to go by, there’s a good cadence here of modern-feeling open exploration bookended by visits to stunning recreations of familiar locales from Final Fantasy VII along with thoughtful updates to scenarios, characters and encounters that OG fans remember. This small taste has me incredibly excited to see the rest of Rebirth’s vast world and whether the team truly has managed to keep up the fidelity and depth of gameplay, visuals and sterling fan service achieved in Final Fantasy VII Remake in a far grander scope than before.

PRESS-START.COM.AU

We Spoke To Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's Lead Developers About Crafting A Bigger, Better Second Chapter

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has a tough job, not only following up what was a very well-put-together reimagining of the opening act of one of the most important RPGs of a generation, but blowing the whole thing wide open with a freely-explorable world and a much meatier chunk of story to re-tell.

I recently was able to get my very own hands on a lengthy preview build of Rebirth, which you can read about here, but first I was also able to chat to the game’s Producer, Yoshinori Kitase, and Director, Naoki Hamaguchi, about the processing of crafting a worthy second chapter in an incredibly ambitious remake project as well as some of the bonkers stuff going on in the game’s shiny new release date trailer.

WWW.WELL-PLAYED.COM.AU

What is going on with those Chocobo chicks, though?

After an opportunity to sit down with two demos of the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth just days ago, the vibes are reasonably positive for this writer who didn’t quite get the universal acclaim around the first part of the Final Fantasy VII rebuild trilogy, Remake. But if there is one thing I reliably am, it is curious, and I will persist in throwing myself against this monolith of the Japanese roleplaying genre until I can really appreciate what all the fuss is about. 

Nervously anticipating this session, my mind already well aware of the overwhelming discourse that would likely erupt from the game, I reckoned with my praise and misgivings of Remake as somebody who never played more than an hour or two of the 1997 original. I have reasoned on two things I felt could be tested during this preview: whether the combat is actually decent and I was just particularly bad at it in Remake, and if they have opened up the sense of adventure this time around rather than confining Cloud and company to the scrapyards and scaffolding of Midgar.

WWW.ENGADGET.COM

We played two demos for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, the second chapter of what’s set to be a three-part remake of the 1997 RPG. This is a sequel, so of course there are new tricks. This time, there’s a new focus on characters teaming up to attack together.

How many times am I going to buy this game? I'm still waiting on the answer to that, but I recently played two demos for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, the (poorly named) second chapter of what’s set to be a three-part remake of the 1997 RPG.

Across two separate demos, I played roughly an hour of the game, due to launch in February 2024. The first demo was a flashback tale of hero Cloud and villain Sephiroth’s journey into a problematic reactor found in Tifa and Cloud’s hometown of Nibel. This chapter featured in the original 1997 game, soon after the party left Midgar, but the twist is that you can play, control and fight as the silver-haired antagonist, Sephiroth, in battles. And at this point in time, Sephiroth and Cloud are totally cool with each other.

• 1 month later...