Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Enjoying the Yuffie DLC immensely at the moment.  Did you all skip this?  It's fantastic, one more linear Midgar romp for old times.

Of course I played it :p But back at release. And yeah it was a lot of fun. 

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The combat seems a lot deeper and fun this time around. You might want to "git gud" to enjoy the combat this time rather than making it super easy.

Textures and dynamic resolution still seem to be a problem though.

Exactly why I’m playing on normal. Makes each move important and there is a much more deeper battle system now. This is gonna be so damn good. Hate to hear that about the graphics though. 

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Exactly why I’m playing on normal. Makes each move important and there is a much more deeper battle system now. This is gonna be so damn good. Hate to hear that about the graphics though. 

How's the combat deeper? In the first hour of the drmo it was identical to Remake?

Just now, best3444 said:

How's the combat deeper? In the first hour of the drmo it was identical to Remake?

Each character has some unique battle mechanic. Not to mention the moves have been expanded, you can juggle enemies now. Crazy stuff.

There's a big long tutorial mode in the new demo that shows it all off.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Each character has some unique battle mechanic. Not to mention the moves have been expanded, you can juggle enemies now. Crazy stuff.

There's a big long tutorial mode in the new demo that shows it all off.

Awesome news. So why on easy won't this battle system work?

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well I presume anyone playing on easy doesn't want to engage with the battle mechanics and wants to fly through the game easily.

Well I understand what you mean but if Remake was too difficult for me I don't see this being any different. 

As long as I can utilize the new battle system I'll be good. 

Is the second demo only 1.6 GB?

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Keep playing. One hour isn’t going to show you everything. 

I'm not playing any more demos. I'm waiting for the full release. 

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I understand what you mean but if Remake was too difficult for me I don't see this being any different. 

As long as I can utilize the new battle system I'll be good. 

Is the second demo only 1.6 GB?

I'm not playing any more demos. I'm waiting for the full release. 

Play it you bitch

I really like the 

Spoiler

New combat options. The way you can have Chadley’s voice come thru on the Dualsense controller. And the new crafting system. Gathering material and then being able to craft items as well as gear is excellent!

Game Information

Game Title: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Feb 29, 2024)

Developer: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 93 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 100 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is just majestic. A master piece. Square Enix has just created one of the best RPG of all time.

Attack of the Fanboy - Davi Braid - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Remake evoked all kinds of emotions in me, made me see my low-poly childhood friends as real people, and allowed me to once again be part of a grandiose, fate-challenging, god-defying adventure that I haven't experienced since the PS1 days.

CGMagazine - Chris De Hoog - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth delivers upon Remake's thesis, increasing a classic's scale and character tenfold to create a new modern-day masterpiece.

ComicBook.com - Evan Valentine - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth improves on nearly every aspect of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, pushing the PlayStation 5 to the limit and creating a jaw-dropping experience in the process. Improving on both the Remake and the original version of the game seemed like a nigh impossible task, but somehow, Square Enix was able to do just that.

Dexerto - Cassidy Stephenson - 5 / 5

This is Game of the Year material and an exceptional follow-up to a revered first entry. It handles the beloved material with care while still establishing its own new voice, making for a stellar sequel.

Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth codifies the long-lasting significance of JRPGs from the mid to late ’90s, an era in which developers finally had the tools to tell captivating sagas with little compromise.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is pure magic in the form of interactive art. I found myself thinking about how majestic the original on which it is based is and how ambitious it was for the time. We can only describe as phenomenal what Squaresoft has managed to do with the limitations of height. Playing Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth makes you feel like you're playing a game from that era, with an emotional campaign full of impactful moments, supported by a huge world to explore. It's easy to lose track of the hours exploring these various places for secrets, always looking for easter eggs and curiosities that greatly reinforce the sense of discovery and wonder. The original is my favorite game of all time and Rebirth deserves to be featured alongside it.

Final Weapon - Noah Hunter - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a generational RPG that exemplifies everything there is to love about the medium. Featuring a colossal open world, a gripping narrative, beautifully written characters, and an out-of-this-world soundtrack, Rebirth is a title no RPG fan should pass up on. It's improved on nearly everything from its predecessor, offering a complete and flawless combat system alongside countless other additions. FFVII Rebirth is the shining jewel of modern Final Fantasy, a prime example of the series at its best.

GGRecon - Harry Boulton - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is one of my favourite games that I've played in a long time and does so much with its narrative that feels uncompromisingly ambitious and fresh.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 10 / 10

We absolutely loved Final Fantasy VII Remake, but it’s safe to say that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth surpasses it in every possible way. It’s a masterpiece. It tells a grander tale, with more twists and turns that keep you on your feet. And while some new story elements may rub some players up the wrong way, they keep things feeling fresh, and make us keen to see where Square Enix will take things next. Ultimately, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has exceeded our expectations, building on the original game and indeed Final Fantasy VII Remake, delivering a sequel that feels bigger and better in all regards.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth marks the new golden age of the franchise.

GamesBeat - Mike Minotti - 5 / 5

Rebirth doesn’t have any compromises. Or at least they’re so tiny that I didn’t notice or care. And even if I did have small gripes, an all-time great soundtrack easily washes any minor sins away.

Gaming Age - Dustin Chadwell - 10 / 10

I’ve absolutely loved playing through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and I’m happy to say that Square Enix once again delivered with this release. It’s a fantastic follow-up to Remake that expands the world of Final Fantasy VII even more, and it’s a sequel that shouldn’t be missed. Whether you’re a hardcore Final Fantasy VII fan, or someone that came on board via the Remake, you won’t be disappointed.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 10 / 10

The promise of those old, grand, globe-trotting Final Fantasy epics from the series' 16- and 32-bit heyday in AAA form has been fulfilled at last. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth finally realizes the series' central, implicit potential, looking to the past to pave the way for hopefully the start of a new golden age for the series.

Geeks Under Grace - David Koury - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is the definitive way to experience this story.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is a phenomenally good video game. It has a habit for self-indulgence, but earns every pause with some shocking story moments, and some of the best combat I've experienced.

Hey Poor Player - Francis DiPersio - 5 / 5

It’s not often we see a Game of the Year contender so early in the year, but here we are. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an unforgettable follow-up to one of the finest remakes ever produced. Deftly building upon the rock-solid foundation of its predecessor, it evolves the combat and progression systems in subtle yet exciting ways while setting you loose in a massive world that you’ll want to explore to the fullest. With countless activities to keep you busy and a gripping story that will leave both Final Fantasy VII veterans and newcomers alike on the edge of their seats, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an unmissable adventure.

If you only buy one RPG this year, make it this one.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the culmination at all levels of the current Action RPG. An immense, brave and ambitious work, capable of giving the best possible homage to the original classic while introducing its own vision.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth shines as a standout game of 2024, offering players an expansive and immersive experience that keeps them engaged from beginning to end. With a perfect mix of nostalgia and fresh innovations, Rebirth surpasses its predecessor in every way. From its stunning open-world exploration to its polished combat system and fun side activities, Rebirth sets a new benchmark for JRPGs. All these things combine to cement Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’s status as a must-play game that will likely remain one of the year’s best titles.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a remarkable sequel and one of the best RPGs of the generation. This new installment both respects and expands upon the original game’s story and legacy in a way that will please old-school fans while sowing some intriguing new narrative seeds for the final installment in this trilogy. I can’t wait to get my hands on whatever comes next – even if it takes another four years.

Multiplayer First - Dean James - 10 / 10

The gauntlet has already been thrown as a Game of the Year contender with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and it’s going to take one hell of a game to match its quality in 2024. The expanded story is riveting from start to finish, serving as essentially the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy. Even the smallest of sidequests can add something to the lore of the world or the overall narrative that you wouldn’t expect as well, making you want to complete everything the game offers. It is pretty amazing what Square Enix has managed to put together here with this Remake trilogy, and I cannot wait to see how they build on Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the third and final chapter in what is setting up to be one of the greatest gaming trilogies of all time.

Noisy Pixel - Bailey Seemangal - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an exceptional sequel that surpasses expectations in nearly every aspect. It combines compelling storytelling, innovative combat, and a wealth of engaging content to deliver an unforgettable adventure. As a bold continuation of the saga, it sets the stage for the final installment, leaving fans eagerly awaiting what comes next. Square Enix has truly outdone itself, showcasing the depth and potential of the Final Fantasy VII universe.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth rises to the challenge set by its predecessor, by bringing to life every facet of the imagined open world we’ve cherished for decades and executing the vision to near perfection by marrying it with today's technology. Square Enix’s meticulous attention to detail, no matter how minute, resonates with awe-inspiring clarity, no longer feeling the need to imagine because the world is finally alive and it is here.

While not flawless, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth navigates its journey with grace and offers a fascinating experience that makes it easy to overlook the minor issues. I found myself deeply impressed by the expansive overworld, the iconic set pieces, and the thoughtful expansions that honor the beloved title’s essence, making it a strong contender for Game of the Year nods and a definite reason to finally get a PS5 if you haven't yet.

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 100 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is awesome. FFVII Remake's excellent battle system is further enhanced, the story leaves the player (whether a veteran or newcomer to the series) intrigued to know what will happen, and there is an immense amount of content to be explored.

Prima Games - Meg Bethany Koepp - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth may just be the best video game of all time. Its fantastic story does wonders to make you care about each character while its phenomenal world is absolutely filled with endless activities to participate in when you need a break from the heartache. It's an improvement in every way imaginable, yet it never forgets the goofy charm that made the 1997 original a classic.

RPGamer - Paul Shkreli - 5 / 5

This is the game that delivers on the promise of the Final Fantasy VII remake project. It’s a fascinatingly familiar yet unknown journey that is breathtaking and unforgettable.

Screen Rant - Cody Gravelle - 5 / 5

What felt like an impossible task in Remake has since been one-upped in FF7 Rebirth. Improving directly upon Final Fantasy 7 always felt like a dangerous proposition, and Remake smartly switched things up to avoid having to do so directl

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 10 / 10

It may only be February, but I'm confident Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is going to be 2024's Game of the Year.

The Outerhaven Productions - Andrew Agress - 5 / 5

Rebirth arrives as one of the best games of the past decade.

Twinfinite - Keenan McCall - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is, for all intents and purposes, a phenomenal second act in the Remake series. Though it's open world design isn't perfect, the game is finely honed in every other area and provides as luxurious of an experience as FF VII Remake did.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is an excellent RPG with some of the best characters in the gaming canon. While some open-world content skirts the edges, and the game's main narrative is left somewhat deflated, the time spent with Aerith, Tifa, and the gang makes this a hugely enjoyable road trip you'll be playing for hundreds of hours.

Washington Post - Gene Park - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is so good, it nearly wrecked my life.

Wccftech - Kai Tatsumoto - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth takes the second chapter of Cloud Strife's struggle to save the planet he calls home and surpasses the highs of Final Fantasy VII Remake in every way.

ZTGD - Ken McKown - 10 / 10

There is so much more I want to say, but I do not want to ruin any part of this experience. Being such a huge fan of the original game, I could not be happier with how this sequel turned out. After being lukewarm on the first entry, this one squashes all my concerns and doubts about this remake. I do wish it wasn’t going to take over a decade to see it all, but this sequel gives me confidence in the finale. I cannot recommend it enough, but mute all keywords on Twitter, experience this for yourself, and enjoy what is easily an early contender for the best game of 2024.

Zoomg - Sadegh Tavazoyi - Persian - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is like a love letter to all the Action RPG lovers and also the fans of Original Final Fantasy VII. the game tells the story of the original game in a perfect way and also add new elements which makes playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth really enjoyable and fun.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth knocks it out of the park. It takes the already excellent first game and expands it to a bigger and more populated world. The combat has been improved, the dungeon design is better, the story hits a lot more than it misses, and from start to finish, it was pretty much everything I could've wanted. Only a few nagging problems keep it from perfection, and it's a love letter to everything that makes Final Fantasy VII great.

Areajugones - Urko Miguel Galparsoro - Spanish - 9.7 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is a major evolution from the Remake. This is a title whose ambition is much greater, and which sports an open world full of detail and life that is very rewarding to explore. Despite the fact that not all secondary content shines in the same way, it is undeniable that Square-Enix's effort to provide freshness and variety is noticeable from the moment we begin to take the first steps of this second chapter.

Gamefa - Persian - 9.7 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, follows in the footsteps of the first part and on top of that, every single aspect of the game, from combat system to visuals and content, has been improved significantly. not only does Final Fantasy VII Rebirth deliver one of the best combat system of all time, it also delivers one of the best gaming experiences of this generation.

COGconnected - James Paley - 95 / 100

This Final Fantasy VII project is a massive undertaking of an impossible scale. A single release stretched into three games? Preposterous. And yet, so far the team is totally nailing it. The first game was a smash hit, and Rebirth runs laps around it in almost every way.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth delivers an extraordinary story expanding on the plot in ways that fans could never have imagined with a massive open world and character building they will adore.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth defies all expectations and is the new benchmark for what a remake should be. Bold and unapologetic with something to say but also true to its roots. I've loved, I've laughed and I've cried while playing this game and if you fall into the right crowd, you very will too. Provided is an unforgettable journey, a magnetic cast, and a world that is magic and an experience that is transcending. From combat to graphics to music to side activities to writing to performances, Rebirth is one for the books and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9.5 / 10

Thanks to its focus on exploration, Rebirth is a refreshing and wonderful road trip throughout Gaia. With incredible spectacle, memorable battles, and plenty of side content that flesh out its world, this is an unforgettable journey worth taking.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth somehow manages to spin multiple plates without smashing any of them. It’s over-the-top serious when it wants to be, and it’s utterly absurd in the next moment. Great Final Fantasy games have always managed to walk this line, and it’s a testament to how the brand has stayed relevant for decades on end.

DualShockers - Matthew O’Dwyer - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth masterfully continues the story of Remake. Acting as both a remake and sequel to the original game, Rebirth carves its own identity by deepening and expanding one of the most beloved stories in gaming. Its move toward the open-world format is expertly done and creates a near-perfect experience for fans both old and new.

Easy Allies - Michael Damiani - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth breaks limits as one of the most ambitious RPGs ever made.

Enternity.gr - Christos Chatzisavvas - Greek - 9.5 / 10

With Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Square Enix presents a richer venture in every way, offering players the freedom they enjoyed in the original game.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth offers a fulfilling content and a lingering experience.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 9.5 / 10

With the core team assembled, Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth feels like embarking on a fantastic adventure with a gang of your best friends. More open, action-packed, and surprisingly funny, Rebirth gives players days of content and the freedom to pursue it, while still telling a wonderful and cohesive story. Every aspect of Remake has been examined, refined, and improved. This is the franchise's Empire Strikes Back, in all the best ways.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 95 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is not only a worthy successor to Remake, but to the original title. With an incredible and multi-layered open-world, outstanding combat, and a heartfelt story that takes you on a beautiful scenic route, Rebirth reaches heights you'd need one wing to touch. Rebirth is special; First-Class in a way only the best Soldiers can be.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth proves that you can take a gaming icon and modernize it, offering today the same emotions as back then, net of narrative freedoms for which one wonders why.

MMORPG.com - Joseph Bradford - 9.5 / 10

As a result, Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH is a modern RPG masterpiece and solidly sets up its third installment in the Final Fantasy VII Remake Project. It's ambitious and massive in scope - and that's before we even get to the daunting task of recreating one of the most iconic stories of all time. At its core, Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH retains the essence of what the original story contained, expanding on it meaningfully in a way that feels wholly new.

PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth takes the foundations of Remake and expands on them, adding more control to combat, more places to explore, and more ways to dig deeper into the world and the story it tells. Whether in Graphics or Performance Mode, the quality of the experience remains the same: top tier presentation with exceptional gameplay. Rebirth is an early shoe-in for Game of the Year.

TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth carries on the torch from Remake and delivers another incredible experience. The world of FFVII comes alive as you venture across it with Cloud and his party. Watching the story play out with gorgeous graphics and fantastic acting elevates the entire experience. This is a must play for Final Fantasy fans.

The Nerd Stash - David Rodriguez - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth tells a very bold and ambitious story that is faithful but isn't afraid to fix something that isn't broken.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 94 / 100

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth has the capacity to be the best game I've played this year. I don't know what more can come on top of this game with its tireless open world, beautiful side quests, fun mini-games, characters, each offering a different gameplay experience, smooth storytelling, great music, and a series of events that go through you like a sword.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 9.4 / 10

It's a bit like being back in the company of old friends from a past that's impossible to forget: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth successfully continues the rewriting work begun four years ago, ferrying Cloud and his companions into an open world of rare beauty. A certain repetitiveness in the secondary activities and some minor flaws related to the combat system - exciting but still not perfect - are personally negligible trifles in the face of a reunion of such calibre. To recommend it is a trivial formality.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 93 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth successfully recreates the original title, elevating this part of the story to new levels and betting on a game format that, without being particularly innovative, works wonderfully. It's immense, funny, emotional and very varied, but above all it's a fantastic remake that delivers on its promises.

RPG Fan - Zach Wilkerson - 93%

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a fantastic game that is true to the spirit of the original while also carving its own path.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9.1 / 10

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH takes what made REMAKE work and expands on the formula in nearly every way imaginable from its rewarding combat and exploration to its absolutely hilarious humour. As a long-time fan, I'm incredibly happy with what it has to offer.

But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a grand adventure that, despite minor pacing issues, is incredibly engaging and exciting. There are so many discoveries waiting to be uncovered, and every inch of the game is dripping with love and care.

Cinelinx - Jordan Maison - 4.5 / 5

While Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is definitely the middle-chapter of a trilogy, and thus doesn't quite standalone as well as the last game, there's no denying it rules. A multitude of small tweaks and gameplay changes add up to an impressive experience that feels like a giant leap forward, while continuing a great story with characters that find new ways to hook you.

Digital Spy - Ben Rayner - 4.5 / 5

With some unexpected twists and turns along the way, plus some confident changes, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is utterly massive and really is the ultimate way to experience this much-loved story. It's a must for PS5 players.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4.5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a phenomenal second chapter of what's shaping up to be an all-time great game trilogy.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5

Most of all, I love and adore the work that Kazushige Nojima has done with the narrative (especially the ending that, once again, challenges everything we assumed about the FFVII plot), and he further entrenches himself as arguably the most innovative and creative writer in JRPGs with Rebirth.

ElderPlayers - Omar Alflasi - Arabic - 9 / 10

Sometimes, fate is like a sandstorm that changes directions. You may change your direction to avoid it, but it will follow you. You will change your direction again, but it will adapt. This is FF7 Rebirth. If the original version talked about accepting death and fate, FF7 Rebirth takes you on a desperate journey in order to try to change fate, regardless of the consequences.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Bello - Italian - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a very good title, which once again demonstrates the enormous commitment put into the Square Enix team in the reconstruction and expansion of Final Fantasy VII.

GAMES.CH - Sönke Siemens - German - 90%

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth lives up to its name and presents you with the rebirth of a timeless story.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4.5 / 5

Despite the pacing issues in its final chapters, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is still bigger and better than Final Fantasy 7 Remake. If the third game can keep everything that's great about these remake projects so far and trim the fat a bit, we will have a spectacular trilogy on our hands.

GamePro - Stephan Zielke - German - 90 / 100

Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth expands on the original story in a meaningful way and surpasses the FF7 Remake in all respects.

Gamepur - Laura Gray - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is superior to Remake in every way, with a story that gripped my heart and a perfectly reworked version of a world that has filled my imagination since I was a kid. Square Enix succeeded in a feat that is very hard to achieve with a remake – it felt as if I was playing the story for the first time.

While there are some technical elements that were frustrating from a gameplay perspective, I found myself hungry to get at the controller every day after work, and was delighted by every secret and new mechanic I uncovered. It was a joy-ride of a game, even when boss battles were beating me into the ground. I can’t wait for the world to get ahold of this title, as Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is sure to impact fans in the same devastating, amazing, emotionally debilitating way the original game did so many decades ago. It’s a thrill ride, a treat, and a gameplay experience I won’t ever forget.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 90 / 100

My time through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was profound. In one moment I was relishing in the opportunity to learn more about a world and characters I have loved for nearly 30 years. In the next, I was mourning the passing of principles and ideas that represent the very foundation of my love for the RPG genre and the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth marks the very best in class across practically every element of game design for the Final Fantasy franchise, but I still couldn’t help but feel I was bidding farewell to an old friend.

GamesRadar+ - Iain Harris - 4.5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth closely follows what Remake first outlines

IGN - Michael Higham - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth impressively builds off of what Remake set in motion, both as a best-in-class action-RPG full of exciting challenges and an awe-inspiring recreation of a world that has meant so much to so many for so long.

INVEN - Hongman Yoon - Korean - 9 / 10

Matured action and an expanded gameplay experience characterize Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. It can easily be considered a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. With a shockingly well-executed storyline that permeates the entire remake project, this game can truly be said to have made the four-year wait worthwhile.

LevelUp - Víctor Rosas - Spanish - 9 / 10

From the beginning to the end, you will feel the need to keep playing, to know what happens to Cloud and his friends and if Shinra or Sephiroth will end the world. This impressive adventure stands as testimony that the remake project remains in good hands, honors its legacy and takes it to the top with new and original elements.

Metro GameCentral - Steve Boxer - 9 / 10

An object lesson in how to turn an old classic into a modern masterpiece, that surpasses even Final Fantasy 7 Remake in terms of appealing to both veteran fans and complete newcomers.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10

I cherished almost every hour I spent with this sequel, and I’m already Buster Sword hilt deep in a second run on Hard. Rest assured, the phoenix rise of this remake is still soaring on an upward trajectory.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an immense and expansive middle chapter of this ambitious remake trilogy. A reimagined and redefined behemoth of a game that simultaneously plays on nostalgia and forces you to question your memories of the original. While it suffers from some rote open world elements and a few technical issues, Rebirth is another magnificent entry into the gilded halls of Final Fantasy.

RPG Site - Josh Tolentino - 9 / 10

A massive game that synthesizes two distinct eras of blockbuster game design, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth feels fresh and familiar simultaneously, while forging a new path for Cloud and the crew.

Reno Gazette-Journal - Jason Hidalgo - 9 / 10

Like a dashing Chocobo, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth continues the momentum started by Final Fantasy VII Remake by improving on its predecessor in every way. As a sequel, it doesn’t quite have that revolutionary sense of newness that Remake initially wowed audiences with. But what it has is an even more fleshed-out experience with tons of exploration, oodles of extra content and an even more polished combat system. Add a compelling narrative that honors and adds to the original story and you have a game that hits all the right spots for longtime fans while also reintroducing the Final Fantasy VII story to a new generation of players.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

This installment builds on and improves upon what made REMAKE so great, namely beautiful scenery and epic music in addition to the best in class battle system, while one of that game's flaws, namely the dearth of side content, although the story segments can still suffer from filler content at times. It expands, improves Nd subverts enough to create a thrilling experience for veterans and newcomers alike.

TheSixthAxis - Nic Bunce - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a beautifully crafted experience that fans old and new will absolutely love. It almost goes too far in correcting the first game's linearity with broad open areas stuffed with things to do, but there's also key additions to the combat, and the story running through this middle chapter is masterfully retold. Really the biggest problem you'll have once the credits roll is knowing that it will be far too many years before we can finish the trilogy.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 8.9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the perfect representation of what a modern Final Fantasy should always be. That said, controversial narrative choices are indelible black stains on a beautiful picture.

XGN.nl - Luuc ten Velde - Dutch - 8.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a triumph in many ways thanks to its story, a plethora of minigames, an improved fighting system and a sprawling open world full of activities that are fun and rewarding. The story dips a bit towards the middle though, while the new mechanic that tracks the relationships in the party is a bit unclear at times.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8.5 / 10

The best of Remake exists in Rebirth, but the various open-world areas surrounding it – the parts that make Rebirth unique from its predecessor – sometimes miss the mark.

Gaming Instincts - Leonid Melikhov - 8.5 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth provides a nostalgic trip with its enthralling story, beloved characters, and dynamic combat. However, its Ubisoft-influenced open-world design detracts from the experience, alongside technical shortcomings. Nonetheless, it remains a must-play for fans

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8.5 / 10

The second instalment in Square Enix's epic three-part retelling of its most famous game opens up the world for players to explore. Read on.

Eurogamer - Ed Nightingale - 4 / 5

Rebirth is a playful take on an emo classic that's bloated but full of character in a bid to justify its own existence.

GameSpot - Tamoor Hussain - 8 / 10

Rebirth keeps its narrative focus on characters while bringing a new dimension to combat, but it stumbles in pivotal moments.

Gamer Escape - Eliot Lefebvre - 8 / 10

Maybe it'd be nice to say that we all should have gotten over Final Fantasy VII by now instead of fawning over the world and its characters. But far from being the simple note-for-note reprise of the original that it could have been, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth swings for the fences to be a big and original thing that feels like a full game even while it is, functionally, the middle. It has weaknesses like combat I'm not wholly sold on and maybe a bit too much start-and-stop through gameplay, but if you've been looking forward to the game, you will not be disappointed. And if you want to experience the full story, this is a really good time.

Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 4 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a big step in the right direction that’s unfortunately held back by graphical anomalies and open world tropes. It’s an emotional rollercoaster ride that’s heavily back loaded. It'll pull on your heart strings and make you invested in each character more than ever before. It helps that all the memorable moments from the original are not only retained, but strengthened thanks to the graphical prowess of the PlayStation 5. Combat also remains highly engaging, with slight modifications that only enhance the experience further. Unfortunately, Rebirth is also marred with baffling design choices that stifle its greatness. It's filled with mini-games that thankfully are mostly in side quests, as their controls and function leave much to desire. At the very least they will keep you interested as it never gets stale. On top of that, while most of the graphics will have you impressed, low resolution textures and geometry are spliced in the most confusing of ways, only pulling you out of the immersion. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has its share of issues that prevent it from greatness, but whether you’re a dire hard fan or relatively new to the saga, this remains an RPG for the ages.

Paste Magazine - Moises Taveras - 8 / 10

Rebirth‘s world is gorgeous and fun and quirky, even if the delivery of its stories can feel a bit stilted and rote, and it turns the finale of Remake into the impetus to re envision a phenomenal cast in ways I adore. Along the way, it becomes big, perhaps even bigger than Final Fantasy VII ever needed to be, but that excess provides quite a bit to love.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 8 / 10

If you can push through the tedium of its open world busywork and padded storytelling, there's a great sequel at the heart of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. It retains all of Remake's most important strengths, but builds on an already brilliant combat system, and excels at showcasing an iconic RPG setting. If you enjoyed Remake and you have fond memories of the PS1 original, you'll likely love every minute of Rebirth's memorable, character-focused adventure.

Shacknews - Jesse Vitelli - 8 / 10

While there is a lot to love in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, it left me disappointed in its main narrative. I wish it was more focused on telling the story set out in Remake and its constant need to push the kitchen sink into each plot beat wore on my resolve throughout the game.

Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 4 / 5

Throughout, Cloud and his motley troupe of friends are given the space and opportunity to be more than just heroes, even more than just friends, or potentially lovers, but human beings who are rightfully unsure of what power they have to stop the inevitable. These are still the familiar heroes on the same journey they were on in 1997, unsure of their roles as eco-terrorists turned fugitives on a nebulous quest against a force of unfathomable, alien evil, but more than just the size and scale of Rebirth as an RPG, there’s so much more catharsis in the telling.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - 4 / 5

For better and worse alike, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is the most impressively ambitious game Square has made since FF’s golden age. It’s glorious, in spite of painful little flaws.

eXputer - Hamid Shah - 4 / 5

FF7 Rebirth is bigger in scope, providing a solid narrative and riveting gameplay that makes you fall in love again with the Unknown Journey.

Evilgamerz - Peter Derks - Dutch - 7.5 / 10

A while ago I wrote that this was one of my most difficult reviews. That's because Rebirth does everything it can to make it as difficult as possible to love this game. Despite the adjustments, the main story is still fantastic, the soundtrack is great and so are the graphics during cutscenes. The open zones are not necessarily bad, but they are overcrowded with meaningless content that only functions as filler and not enough combat. When Rebirth opens everything up and you can dive into the combat or the story, then you can enjoy it. It's a shame that the game does everything it can to pull you out of there and saddle you with boring meaningless padding. Rebirth is at times brilliant, fantastic, beautiful and leaves you as an emotional wreck. It's just that it's interrupted so often that the entire outcome leans more toward "okay" and not what it could have been.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

"An excellent sequel that turns into a huge journey with just a couple bumps along the way."

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Essential

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is incredible. I struggled to complete my review because I had so much fun working through each region in a nearly 100-hour playthrough. I dread waiting another four years for the finale but put my faith in Square Enix's hands. If Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth indicates what to expect going forward then I believe in the vision. The ending will be divisive for many people, but it means as much to the developers as it does to fans, and because of that idea, I walk away content with where we left off.

Digitec Magazine - Kevin Hofer - German - Unscored

"Final Fantasy VII Rebirth" is everything I wish for in a remake as a fan of the original from the very beginning. A dream, but one that is real. "Rebirth" even surpasses the original - and I've only scratched the surface so far.

Kotaku - Claire Jackson - Unscored

Rebirth is sure to be a more divisive and debated game than Remake was. But in this deep sea of an RPG, I was thrilled by the action and the tactics, brought to emotional highs and lows through its characters, and found myself with an even greater love of FF7, the original and this return, than I thought was possible.

Polygon - Todd Harper - Unscored

Rebirth is worth your time, but I’m not sure if it’s worth as much of your time as it asks for. It’s a game that does many things right and does right by its weighty legacy — but it also makes it clear that for the future final installment, Square Enix should reconsider how necessary it is for these games to be so big.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - Coming February 29th, 2024, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry delivers first impressions on Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

Digital Foundry coverage today is more of a preview than the typical in-depth coverage we'd like to deliver. Because of an unusually strict review embargo, we can only show you content from the first few hours of the game, we have to avoid certain sequences, and our accompanying video has to be short by our usual standards. Also challenging has been the announcement of a image quality patch for performance mode, which only 'dropped' yesterday. With all of this in mind, expect much more comprehensive coverage on the day of launch.

Once we're into the game proper, there's a sense that as accomplished and impressive the game is in so many areas, it's certainly not above criticism. Firstly, the asset quality is very inconsistent in the opening level. There's plenty of good-looking rock formations with decent levels of texture detail, but it's easy to spot some oddly low-resolution work here. Some of the rocks are also very angular and low-poly. It's inconsistent and a little strange, not quite up to the level of quality we'd expect. To Square-Enix's credit, there's lots of ground clutter and these scenes do exhibit a good amount of density, but the overall fidelity just isn't quite where it should be.

Rebirth is mostly in good shape based on what we can show you, though I do wish the image quality issues in performance mode had been addressed in a different manner. Solving whatever bugbear is causing a softer-than-expected image should be top-of-mind here, as the scaling solution Square-Enix has gone with is unsatisfactory in my opinion. More drastically, a shift to something like FSR 2 for upsampling might be an effective choice, especially if it was paired with camera motion blur to hide some of its visual artifacts in motion. At a minimum, I would like to see an option to toggle between the scaling modes.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - Coming February 29th, 2024, update: reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry Technical Breakdown posted
41 minutes ago, Slug said:

I'm a bit surprised (and happy) to see people praising it's open world/exploration.  Remake felt pretty railsy which was really my only knock on it.  Looking forward to this.

Which some of these reviews seem to be the opposite. The knock is it's so open the story takes a backseat compared to the first game which was more focused on the story because it wasn't as open. :p

• Halal 1

Man I really wish these reviewers could cut the “game of the year” candidate shit out and just review the game. Or stop trying to place it in context of best game ever / best game of last decade. Just stop. 

I’m happy people are liking it though. I need to decide if I want to get it at launch or wait for a price drop. Leaning toward the latter just to finish some other stuff up.

• Guillotine 1

Sounds like every aspect of the game is excellent, which is what I expected . . . except the story, which I only skimmed to get an idea overall if it was good, and it sounds like it is and it isn't. Fortunately the reviews I scanned didn't spoil a thing but that seemed to be the only real issue people had with the game (that and some forced stealth sections it sounds like). Glad I could be wrong about the story but it doesn't sound like a slam dunk on that front either.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

More open area is completely welcomed to me. Remake is on rails and the story dragged on. 

I'm fuckin hyped for this!

Bro it has 

Spoiler

Gathering materials and crafting! Exploring is so much improved. And the battle system is so good now. 

The entire game is a huge improvement from Remake.