Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

Ok I'm 10 hours in FF7 Remake and loving every minute. I'm going to play the entire demo of Rebirth in a few minutes. 

Unfortunately I had to put the difficulty down to easy because these boss fights are absolutely brutal for me. I just get plastered and I do everything in my power to stay alive. 

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok I'm 10 hours in FF7 Remake and loving every minute. I'm going to play the entire demo of Rebirth in a few minutes. 

Unfortunately I had to put the difficulty down to easy because these boss fights are absolutely brutal for me. I just get plastered and I do everything in my power to stay alive. 

No shame in it Mr, just enjoy the game at a difficulty level that works for you! :sun:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

No shame in it Mr, just enjoy the game at a difficulty level that works for you! :sun:

I feel guilty sometimes doing it but I just have to accept I'm just not very good at games. I think normal in this game is too hard and unforgiving. But it's probably just me. 

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The part that I did play gave me lots of difficulty also. I lowered it to easy. That boss fight against The House gave me issues even on easy. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I feel guilty sometimes doing it but I just have to accept I'm just not very good at games. I think normal in this game is too hard and unforgiving. But it's probably just me. 

I hear you, but we're not Teenagers anymore, we have nothing to prove! Just get out of games what you need! Games, for me, are about relaxing and going somewhere else for a while. I don't need a second day job and I don't feel like cursing at an inanimate object (unless its Dark souls relate, I'm always willing to grit my teeth through a good one!)

• Like 1
  • True 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You have to stay active and keep all party members active too. That means making sure you're using their abilities whenever they can. If you really need someone's ability, like a heal, it's useful to switch to them to fight because when you're controlling a character and doing normal damage you get ATB faster.

There's also the effect that the enemy AI is more biased to attack the PC. So switching between your party members regularly is good because it pulls the AI away each time.

If you really want to optimize, you can pipeline things. Abilities usually take a short amount of time to go, so what you can do is do damage with one character until you're ready to do an ability. As soon as you activate it, then swap to another party member to get some hits in and advance their ATB faster. Rinse wash and repeat.

That said, it's fine to change the difficulty if you need to. You can also always keep it on normal for the regulars and drop down to easy for the bosses.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Oh, and don't be afraid to bring up the menu just to slow down the combat so you can decide what to do.

I did do that. For instance I was in a section where there were 3 turret guns and a big machine and I litteraly couldn't dodge all the attacks. Like it felt cheap in a way. On normal your health drops so fast. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I did do that. For instance I was in a section where there were 3 turret guns and a big machine and I litteraly couldn't dodge all the attacks. Like it felt cheap in a way. On normal your health drops so fast. 

There's usually a counter for everything. Machines can often be fried with lightning. It's also possible your materia setup isn't good?

2 minutes ago, legend said:

There's usually a counter for everything. Machines can often be fried with lightning. It's also possible your materia setup isn't good?

Well with my materia I have what I think is pretty solid setup. I made my characters diverse so they compliment each other. I use lighting on turrets and fire on mechs. The fire staggers the mech pretty fast. 

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok. The only thing I see with your complaints is that it's linear which I personally like. But yea, if you want more opened ended gameplay it's not here.

The exploration is poorly done. Things like items and chest are placed basically right in front of you where you are going to be walking to advance the game. There is no sense of discovery at all. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The exploration is poorly done. Things like items and chest are placed basically right in front of you where you are going to be walking to advance the game. There is no sense of discovery at all. 

I agree with that. Was the original similar to that?

35 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I agree with that. Was the original similar to that?

More or less in Midgar.  PS1 pre-rendered backgrounds felt like a step back exploration wise from the 16-bit games.  You often got funneled down single file walkways.  It worked, but there was some hidden pixel hunting and behind-the-backdrop secrets.

Parts of the Remake like Wall Market feel a lot bigger, so which does open things out a considerable bit.  But it's still a very linear game.

• Halal 1

51 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The game's not wide open for sure, but the chests you're talking about were not meant to be exploration rewards. They're for preparation of what's next and to keep you going forward. So that's not exactly a meaningful statement :p There are definitely other things to find that you have to look around for.

That all said, if that was your one issue, that won't be a problem in Rebirth.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Okay so I was sitting here thinking……if I don’t buy Rebirth @best3444 has to pay me $50. Which I will use to buy Rebirth!

Thinking Think GIF by Desiigner

You should definitely get Rebirth. I understand not everyone likes the same games but FF7 Remake is such a good game it's unfortunate you didn't like it. I'm glad I gave this a second chance because I'm having a blast. Just in time for Rebirth. 

If you don't buy it I'd give you my promised $50 but you can't use that to buy Rebirth. That would be a bitch move. 

• Haha 1

Just finished Crisis Core.  The villain is incredibly stupid, but I’m half expecting him to make a return in Rebirth now considering the Yuffie DLC apparently ties into him very tangentially. 

That comes next.  I’ll probably have time to watch Advent Children before Rebirth too.  Never saw it.

45 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Just finished Crisis Core.  The villain is incredibly stupid

Why you hating on Gackt?

45 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ll probably have time to watch Advent Children before Rebirth too.  Never saw it.

It's back in theaters this month, you should see it.

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

Game is dope. I hit a city that is very detailed and beautiful to look at. In the Colosseum it a fighting competition now. I'm easily beating this before Rebirth at this rate. 

You're getting close to the Honeybee, the greatest sequence in the game.

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

Uh, is this real?

Looks like some LOD textures failed to load.

5 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Wait.. now you're interested? Lol

The back and forth is hilarious. Keep it up! This way when you play Rebirth we can all be entertained by the Jekyll and Hyde thing

He is odd about games. I never seen anything like it.