Andor (Disney+) - update: Season 2 filming has wrapped

On 10/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, CayceG said:

Just finished. 

I couldn't imagine the heist episode being topped for tension, let alone in an episode where "nothing" happens. The prison scenes had my gut in knots and my anxiety high. Luthen and Saw's conversation was so short but so full of meaning and struggle. But that one conversation only deepens Saw's character for me and, as an anarchist myself, endears him to me! The conversation with Vel and Cinta was heavy too in different ways. 

The idea of the Imperials commandeering a hotel and disappearing people into it for interrogation and who knows what else is such an echo of real life. Same with the prison scenes and all that went on there. 

The Mandalorian is a fun serialized romp through the Star Wars universe telling comic book stories. I love it. But Andor has rocketed to maybe the best Star Wars TV show ever by miles. 

Better Call Andor

This cast is just outta control. I’m constantly impressed with pretty much every aspect of this show. 

Watching someone put in good work and rising above the mediocrity of the their peers is always satisfying to watch, so it’s fascinating for them do that with one of the primary villains. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:
  Hide contents

Can someone explain what the fuck they were doing releasing a prisoner on another level? Like obviously he was going to tell everyone?

It literally was a mistake. 

And the scene where the lights went out... That was the electric power being drawn to fry everyone on Level 2. 

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

Mistake in what sense? Sorry for being dense lol.

Hide contents

Mistake to fry everyone or mistake to bring the prisoner back?

It was just as the doctor said. They released the prisoner but sent him back to a unit who recognized him and then that caused a riot. 

34 minutes ago, Joe said:
  Hide contents

But why would they ever expect the prisoner to keep quiet? That’s the part I don’t get.

Spoiler

The prison we see is like stage 1, following release they go a different prison to work with other released prisoners (stage 2). Putting a stage 2 prisoner into stage 1 reveals the existence of stage 2 and that release is bullshit. I imagine stage 2 doesn't require good prisoner moral. That's the way I think it makes sense. 

9 hours ago, johnny said:

man this show is fucking awesome 

this is competing for best star wars content period 

I've thought about this a lot.

I think it's probably the best made Star Wars show. I love The Mandalorian but a couple episodes were a little clunky and Andor hasn't had one of those yet.

But I think I like Star Wars the most when it's "fun"? Gimmie all the Andor, and I am happy that the tent seems to be getting bigger and that a show like this can fit under it. I don't think I'd want all Star Wars content to have this vibe, even though I think it's working incredibly well here.

I dunno if that makes sense. :p

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've thought about this a lot.

I think it's probably the best made Star Wars show. I love The Mandalorian but a couple episodes were a little clunky and Andor hasn't had one of those yet.

But I think I like Star Wars the most when it's "fun"? Gimmie all the Andor, and I am happy that the tent seems to be getting bigger and that a show like this can fit under it. I don't think I'd want all Star Wars content to have this vibe, even though I think it's working incredibly well here.

I dunno if that makes sense. :p

I think I get what you mean. 

I don't want to watch All the President's Men whenever I want a fun 'heroes save the day' or 'adventure' romp. I watch it when I want brooding slow burn intrigue. Andor on as a fun watch on a Saturday afternoon is a tall ask, but Empire Strikes Back is perfect. 

Andor may well indeed be the best Star Wars show ever made and gives ESB and ANH a run for their money on quality. But the vibes are very different. I'm not tense when I watch the Cloud City lightsaber duel. 

• Hugs 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, TheLeon said:

This cast is just outta control. I’m constantly impressed with pretty much every aspect of this show. 

Watching someone put in good work and rising above the mediocrity of the their peers is always satisfying to watch, so it’s fascinating for them do that with one of the primary villains. 

The main blonde Nazi lady is incredible, her subtle smirks and shit got me going. Esp at that roundtable with her peers. 

• True 1

26 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think I get what you mean. 

I don't want to watch All the President's Men whenever I want a fun 'heroes save the day' or 'adventure' romp. I watch it when I want brooding slow burn intrigue. Andor on as a fun watch on a Saturday afternoon is a tall ask, but Empire Strikes Back is perfect. 

Andor may well indeed be the best Star Wars show ever made and gives ESB and ANH a run for their money on quality. But the vibes are very different. I'm not tense when I watch the Cloud City lightsaber duel. 

This is better than the movies too. 

26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

One thing I’ve noticed about this show that really takes away from the Star Wars feel is the total lack of non-human characters. Even when you see an alien it’s off in the background somewhere and doesn’t have a speaking part. 

This is really the only bummer of the show for me.

Fuck this series is amazing, and agree that is easily my favourite Star Wars anything. I thought I was going to lose it at the end there. Brought me right back to when they did the same process to my dog Buddy. That facial twitch/shake as he was passing, was just a huge emotional gut punch for me. Just wish I didn’t have to wait so long in watching it because of work. 

I was late to this party but holy crap, this is some good shit.

This is the best Star Wars since the original trilogy and it isn’t even close.

I love how slow and drawn out it is. Star Wars is always racing from action piece to big spectacle to bang pow and this is the exact opposite. It’s a slow tense simmering kind of intense. It takes it time and doesn’t pull any punches. Everything feels so believable and grounded. It treats its audience with respect and doesn’t assume everyone watching is a 9 year old with a 30 second attention span. It goes for emotion and tension over huge comically ridiculous action.

• True 1

12 hours ago, ort said:

I was late to this party but holy crap, this is some good shit.

This is the best Star Wars since the original trilogy and it isn’t even close.

I love how slow and drawn out it is. Star Wars is always racing from action piece to big spectacle to bang pow and this is the exact opposite. It’s a slow tense simmering kind of intense. It takes it time and doesn’t pull any punches. Everything feels so believable and grounded. It treats its audience with respect and doesn’t assume everyone watching is a 9 year old with a 30 second attention span. It goes for emotion and tension over huge comically ridiculous action.

Yep! Spread the word. I go out of my way to talk about Andor since I would like more of this type of Star Wars in the future.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, TheLeon said:

Incredible that in an episode dominated by a thrilling prison break, the scene I had to go back and immediately watch three more times was Skarsgård’s speech at the end. 

I truly do hope that this series is studied within academic contexts for its absolutely masterful use of slowly but inexorably rising tension.  I honestly cannot think of a series or a movie that I've watched recently that even remotely comes close to what this show is able to achieve!

And that speech by Skarsgård...I really don't think any description I could provide would even remotely do it justice at all!

32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I truly do hope that this series is studied within academic contexts for its absolutely masterful use of slowly but inexorably rising tension.  I honestly cannot think of a series or a movie that I've watched recently that even remotely comes close to what this show is able to achieve!

And that speech by Skarsgård...I really don't think any description I could provide would even remotely do it justice at all!

I hope Mike Duncan is watching. Because this show is the best depiction of a growing revolution I have ever seen. 

• Halal 1

I think the prison screw up doesn’t need any greater context than what we’re given.  The show has been telling us in multiple instances that this is the empire’s MO and the MO of fascist empires essentially without fail.  It’s all bluster.  The prison is a magic trick designed entirely around no one ever peaking behind the curtain. It’s a huge, glossy, monolith that is shoddily built and run by failsons too young to shave.  They have special boots for walking on the floors, but no one ever considered the possibility of a prisoner escape so nothing is electrified outside of the prisoner areas.  The entire thing is so shortsighted that of course it’s devised by the same people who can’t figure out a basic prison transport without fucking it all up.  It’s the same with everything.  Even the allegedly more competent ISB officers are doing nothing more than accelerating their own demise.  

• Halal 1

Some people I know are criticizing Andor for moving too slow, they're bored watching it, they don't care about Cassian.

I vehemently disagree that it's boring or that Cassian isn't a compelling character. But is anyone else seeing it criticized for being TOO slow of a burn?