Update: Did you say you wanted a revival of "Silent Hill" series? Looks like Konami's got ya covered!

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Did it? I kinda skimmed through once the actual trailer was over. That right arrow key got a good workout as I skimmed the fluff. If so that's good news. Can't wait to mod James with huge jugs!

yeah, it will be on pc seemly day 1 with ps5

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

All that said, I was looking forward to this, but the footage for the 2 remake looked really fucked up and weird. Like, it looks technically nice, but it doesn't capture any Silent Hill vibes at all. Could just be the stark contrast between the old and new styles, but I was not feeling anything watching it.

I agree. It was way too clean, imo, but it even seems like the direction is off. Way more like a movie and seems to be missing something. I mean, it is obviously not the final product but just go watch the original SH2 scene with the mirror and it comes across as a whole other mood. 

This was a very modern trailer that is trying to pull off what RE2make did. But just because the trailer is fucky doesn't mean they can't nail most of it once the game releases. 

3asbBLO.jpg

CDZrM3x.jpg

The only decent looking thing to me here was the "totally random Japanese Horror game with Silent Hill name attached" Silent Hill f. If you told me Konami had bought the some early version of the latest Fatal Frame or Siren iteration because more SH = more money, I'd believe it 100%. Looks like a potentially interesting Horror game but what this has to do with Silent Hill, I have no idea.

I don't like anything about what they've shown of the Silent Hill 2 remake. It could always turn out different and this could be the trailer camera and cuts and all but nothing about it feels like SH2 to me. 

Whatever all that other stuff was, I have no idea. Seems like Konami just woke up recently and realized people are thirsty for SH and just started outsourcing any and every fucking thing they could for the brand. Then again maybe if they fling enough shit around, maybe something'll stick and be decent.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Kind of weird to skip Silent Hill 1 and go right to remaking Silent Hill 2. I am being very cautious on this remake either way, I'll need to see a lot more first.

2 is probably the most beloved and definitely regarded as the best. Plus, it’s not really a sequel to the first and can stand alone. And they did sort of remake the first game with that Shattered Memories some years back. 

• True 1

f looks awesome and has me excited, 2 i'm unsure. The town looks nice but the faces and some animations were just awful. Really hurts because 2 is one of my all time favourite  games.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Kind of weird to skip Silent Hill 1 and go right to remaking Silent Hill 2. I am being very cautious on this remake either way, I'll need to see a lot more first.

Not really. The two have little in common outside of the town, some lore and creatures. 1 & 3 are directly connected and 2 is considered the best in the series.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Eh. . .my excitement is a bit tempered since Bloober Team is doing it.  Hopefully they don't get cute and just stay on the straight an narrow with this remake.

Wait I just heard some stuff about Bloober Team I've yet to confirm myself. Aside from some godforsaken reason patenting the idea of switching worlds in The Medium, apparently The Medium is also super fucked up about trauma?

I heard something to the effect of "the game massively blames victims for their trauma, and the message of the game is that if trauma victims are good people they should die so they no longer cause problems for those around them, you cannot recover from your trauma, so just die" -- I have no idea if that's an exaggeration or a misinterpretation or what as it seems like something I would've heard of by now. That said, I only played The Medium on Game Pass for about 30 minutes and it was kinda boring so I dropped it.

EDIT: Found this Twitter thread on it and what the fuck was going on in The Medium:

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

2 is probably the most beloved and definitely regarded as the best. Plus, it’s not really a sequel to the first and can stand alone. And they did sort of remake the first game with that Shattered Memories some years back. 

3 hours ago, chakoo said:

f looks awesome and has me excited, 2 i'm unsure. The town looks nice but the faces and some animations were just awful. Really hurts because 2 is one of my all time favourite  games.

Not really. The two have little in common outside of the town, some lore and creatures. 1 & 3 are directly connected and 2 is considered the best in the series.

I know they aren't connected really but Silent Hill 1 is a great game and it makes sense to start at the beginning to me. I'll take what I can get though, of course. 

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I beat it twice and didn't have that takeaway on the game. I think dunking on Bloober team for the ending of the medium is really irrelevant when it comes to a remake of a game with an established story.

I think it's very relevant in the context of Konami as a whole.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Wait I just heard some stuff about Bloober Team I've yet to confirm myself. Aside from some godforsaken reason patenting the idea of switching worlds in The Medium, apparently The Medium is also super fucked up about trauma?

I heard something to the effect of "the game massively blames victims for their trauma, and the message of the game is that if trauma victims are good people they should die so they no longer cause problems for those around them, you cannot recover from your trauma, so just die" -- I have no idea if that's an exaggeration or a misinterpretation or what as it seems like something I would've heard of by now. That said, I only played The Medium on Game Pass for about 30 minutes and it was kinda boring so I dropped it.

EDIT: Found this Twitter thread on it and what the fuck was going on in The Medium:

I beat The Medium and while I don't remember a whole lot from the ending, I just read that guy's entire explanation and regardless of whether it's accurate at all, the only takeaway I have is that this guy is upset that someone told a fucked up story about fucked up people. This guy should not watch The Grudge, or The Ring, or any other horror movie where there's a ghost or a poltergeist or a haunted house that's bad because bad shit happened there.

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I beat The Medium and while I don't remember a whole lot from the ending, I just read that guy's entire explanation and regardless of whether it's accurate at all, the only takeaway I have is that this guy is upset that someone told a fucked up story about fucked up people. This guy should not watch The Grudge, or The Ring, or any other horror movie where there's a ghost or a poltergeist or a haunted house that's bad because bad shit happened there.

Well, you beat it and I didn't, so I'll defer to you on that, though his description of that ending doesn't sound even remotely close to the Grudge or the Ring or anything to me.

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The Ring and The Grudge are different stories entirely.  The Ring is about a dead girl frightening and terrifying people who don’t spread her story and the twist is that she was always evil and wanted to hurt people.  She doesn’t want the truth to be known, she just wants to kill more people.  The Grudge is about a family that is murdered by a jealous husband who haunts their house and anyone who enters it.

The key difference here is that all of these people are already dead and in the case of The Ring we’re already evil and harming people.  The solution to these movies wasn’t to just let the fucked up person die, they are already ghosts.  The plot of The Medium is that a a young girl was raped which creates a psychic monster that kills people in real life.  The literal, textual ending to The Medium is that everything will go back to normal and the monster will be defeated if the girl who got raped dies or if the psychic medium who allows the monster to bleed into reality dies.  Regardless of how well ghost haunting/revenge stories handle the issue of trauma and assault, by definition none of them can have the final resolution of kill the victim solve the problem.  

Now do I think Bloober intentionally made a story where the final takeaway is “things would have been better if this rape victim died?”  No.  The fact that they seemingly stumbled onto it and don’t really seem to understand that isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of their understanding of the themes they’re working in.  

55 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Now do I think Bloober intentionally made a story where the final takeaway is “things would have been better if this rape victim died?”  No.  The fact that they seemingly stumbled onto it and don’t really seem to understand that isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of their understanding of the themes they’re working in.  

Like I mentioned I beat it twice but I'm pretty sure I remember the ending being "open"

Spoiler

The beginning of the game gives you the impression that she kills her sister at the end but at the end of the game it gives you the impression that she actually kills herself. You never see anything die so she could have killed the monster.

Also, all this and that about rape etc. I think is just people trying to derive meaning of a story that was supposed to have a literal monster from a spirit world. I mean, these girls did have supernatural powers after all, it's not like a metaphor for something else.

I get what you’re saying but first it’s textual in The Medium that the death of the girl would cause the death of the monster.  Yes the ending is ambiguous as to who ultimately takes the bullet, but it doesn’t mean the option wasn’t there all along and it doesn’t change that this girl surviving her assault is what causes a rampaging psychic monster to murder people.  

As for people “deriving meaning” from it, you can’t make that argument when it’s the actual plot of the game.  Girl gets sexually assaulted, that sexual assault creates a psychic monster that murders people, that girl’s death would eliminate the monster.  You don’t have to derive a meaning beyond that, no one is making the argument that what Bloober actually meant was a generalized statement that applies to all victims of sexual assault, but it still means that in the story of The Medium there are only two possible solutions to the problem.  Both involve the death of a woman who has ultimately done nothing wrong, and one of which was assaulted.  

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I get what you’re saying but first it’s textual in The Medium that the death of the girl would cause the death of the monster.  Yes the ending is ambiguous as to who ultimately takes the bullet, but it doesn’t mean the option wasn’t there all along and it doesn’t change that this girl surviving her assault is what causes a rampaging psychic monster to murder people.  

As for people “deriving meaning” from it, you can’t make that argument when it’s the actual plot of the game.  Girl gets sexually assaulted, that sexual assault creates a psychic monster that murders people, that girl’s death would eliminate the monster.  You don’t have to derive a meaning beyond that, no one is making the argument that what Bloober actually meant was a generalized statement that applies to all victims of sexual assault, but it still means that in the story of The Medium there are only two possible solutions to the problem.  Both involve the death of a woman who has ultimately done nothing wrong, and one of which was assaulted.  

What you're basically suggesting is depiction is not per se endorsement. It's always a fine line, it depends on how well it was pulled off in context. Because sometimes it is endorsement and sometimes it isn't. 

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t claim they’re endorsing it, I actually said the exact opposite and that they stumbled into that by accident. 

I'm saying the same thing, that you're saying depiction isn't per se endorsement. I think it's not a given they stumbled into it by accident, they could very well be ignorant of mental health issues and care. I haven't played the game, but what I'm saying is you're argument could be the case, but it could very well equally not be the case either, it depends on how it was handled in the game. From what little I've seen of it, it seems at best they were ignorant, which isn't a great defense. Doesn't mean they can't rectify things with this remake either.

• True 1