Update: Laphonza Butler sworn-in as Dianne Feinstein's replacement in the Senate

4 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

When it comes to people who make laws and big decisions involving a few hundred million people then I'm fine with it.  Diane Feinstein was in her 40s in the 1970s.  During Trump's court appointments she was the ranking member and the Republican chairman was also closer to 90 than 80.  Maybe come up with an elder legislators program where they can advise on procedures and customs or something and not making laws for a world that is very different from the one they lived in before they entered the bubble of politics.  They're not too old for the world, they can still do things, hang with the family, take up painting, write books, whatever, they're just too old to write laws and make big decisions for everyone else.

Federal judges have a program like this: the judges go into Senior status

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

When it comes to people who make laws and big decisions involving a few hundred million people then I'm fine with it.  Diane Feinstein was in her 40s in the 1970s.  During Trump's court appointments she was the ranking member and the Republican chairman was also closer to 90 than 80.  Maybe come up with an elder legislators program where they can advise on procedures and customs or something and not making laws for a world that is very different from the one they lived in before they entered the bubble of politics.  They're not too old for the world, they can still do things, hang with the family, take up painting, write books, whatever, they're just too old to write laws and make big decisions for everyone else.

I think this misses the mark, too. Assuming the reporting on Feinstein is correct I'd agree that she has no business being in the senate. But I'm against any ageist policy that prohibits work at a certain age, it's bad business and based on a poor understanding of cognition.

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think this misses the mark, too. Assuming the reporting on Feinstein is correct I'd agree that she has no business being in the senate. But I'm against any ageist policy that prohibits work at a certain age, it's bad business and based on a poor understanding of cognition.

My problem isn't even with cognition, it's just not really understanding how the world is now from any meaningful place.  Like the Internet, it wasn't around 40 years ago, it barely existed 30 years ago in a meaningful way.  In 40 years when we're their age there will be things we don't understand.  When you get old enough there are concepts that will be pretty foreign and these people are expected to understand them enough to draft laws around them.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

My problem isn't even with cognition, it's just not really understanding how the world is now from any meaningful place.  Like the Internet, it wasn't around 40 years ago, it barely existed 30 years ago in a meaningful way.  In 40 years when we're their age there will be things we don't understand.  When you get old enough there are concepts that will be pretty foreign and these people are expected to understand them enough to draft laws around them.

On the flipside of that coin, a decade + of job experience can be incredibly valuable. It's fucking wild to go onto social media these days and see queer puriteens saying shit that kink at Pride should be banned because it's not "family friendly" or that it "violates their consent," or that queer people shouldn't call themselves queer because it's a slur. I've seen these kids make the same arguments about how flamboyant Pride parades make gay people look bad that homophobes were making on the IGN CEB back in the day, using almost the exact same words. Having a sense of history so you're not repeating the same shit on a spin cycle is valuable too, it's part of why diversity of all flavors should be encouraged in a representative government.

And also these people should have staffs who manage some of this shit. If I'm electing a congressperson, I don't expect them to be able to tell me the safe ppm levels for lead in my drinking water, but I'd trust that they have someone research that before casting a relevant vote.

Not for nothing, but Lauren Boebert is 35 and I wouldn't trust her to prepare food that was safely cooked, so there's no guarantee that youth means you have your shit together. :p

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

On the flipside of that coin, a decade + of job experience can be incredibly valuable. It's fucking wild to go onto social media these days and see queer puriteens saying shit that kink at Pride should be banned because it's not "family friendly" or that it "violates their consent," or that queer people shouldn't call themselves queer because it's a slur. I've seen these kids make the same arguments about how flamboyant Pride parades make gay people look bad that homophobes were making on the IGN CEB back in the day, using almost the exact same words. Having a sense of history so you're not repeating the same shit on a spin cycle is valuable too, it's part of why diversity of all flavors should be encouraged in a representative government.

And also these people should have staffs who manage some of this shit. If I'm electing a congressperson, I don't expect them to be able to tell me the safe ppm levels for lead in my drinking water, but I'd trust that they have someone research that before casting a relevant vote.

Not for nothing, but Lauren Boebert is 35 and I wouldn't trust her to prepare food that was safely cooked, so there's no guarantee that youth means you have your shit together. :p

Also, Trump was old but had no experience, the worst combo, so he got very little done that couldn't be reversed via executive order. A lot of the stuff of consequence was stuff anyone could do with a Republican Senate (judges).

Biden is old and wasn't my first choice in the primary by a long shot, but having been a Senator during the Cold War and quickly realizing his mistake in voting for Iraq, I think that's driving his response to Russia -- getting world leaders on the same page and trying to suffocate Russian oligarchs. I also think that helped drive his decision to withdraw from Afghanistan.

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Reminded of this today

Why even do confirmations?  If all it takes is the ability to play golf twice a day and do some day drinking then literally anybody can do the job.  Let Feinstein go ahead and chair the Judiciary Committee, sure she may forget who she's talking to while she's talking to them but she remembered to get dressed before she came in to work so that's all we need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
629e07127bc6a80018b672fb?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

In a new interview with The Cut, Feinstein sometimes forgot the question she'd just been asked and depended on an aide for help recalling details.

These people realize she is mortal right

Right?!??

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 12:26 AM, Ricofoley said:

IRA vote is taken care of. Senate's in recess. Seems like a really good time for a Senator in a safe blue state to hang it up.

Puppies have a nap, but ragged old alpha wolves get ripped apart by a younger, stronger wolves. 

It's time for the wolves to eat Feinstein. Figuratively of course. If we're going to feed politicians to actual wolves, we can do better than her.