Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

I just received the new Fright Night 4K disc in the mail yesterday, super excited about that.

When I recently found out that Series X could play UHD's, I jumped on a couple and I have to say, the difference in quality is staggering.  I've always preferred physical media and have a healthy collection of Blu Rays, but I didn't expect the difference in 4K content to be as obvious and amazing as it is.

However, I really think this only applies to movies that were shot on film.  I can't imagine digitally shot movies would have the same richness and depth of color.  So I've opted for the most part for older movies that didn't originally have great transfers.  The recent release of Lost Boys is amazing as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I just received the new Fright Night 4K disc in the mail yesterday, super excited about that.

When I recently found out that Series X could play UHD's, I jumped on a couple and I have to say, the difference in quality is staggering.  I've always preferred physical media and have a healthy collection of Blu Rays, but I didn't expect the difference in 4K content to be as obvious and amazing as it is.

However, I really think this only applies to movies that were shot on film.  I can't imagine digitally shot movies would have the same richness and depth of color.  So I've opted for the most part for older movies that didn't originally have great transfers.  The recent release of Lost Boys is amazing as well.

I still find, even on older 2d animated movies, that there is enough of a difference to warrant a new purchase for the colour. Well if you have the blu-ray, then I say you’re good enough with 4K upscaling. Some of the newer CG Films can show a huge uptick in colours/sharpness. Plus if you have an Atmos system, Disney and Fox keep them to the 4K disc only. I’ve even bought the 4K disc and the separate 3D release on some features (Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor Ragnorok, Spider-Man: Spider-Verse/Homecoming/Far from Home/No Way Home(soon) and a few others)

• 1 month later...

Much more picky in what I actually buy physical… games and movies (specially with how BS gaming discs have become). But I still need physical…

I better late than never got BlackHawk Down 4K, finally extended edition in High Quality, I have now bought this in every format available to me

Batman Long Halloween Complete.. the combined 2 parts look great next to The Batman and Dark Knight Returns

Gotta get Top Gun, Godzilla vs Kong, and Man of Steel (so Snyder Cut doesnt get lonesome)

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already in this thread, but which 4k player are you all using? 

I just utilize my Series X for 4K playback. I know there are dedicated players but spending an additional $500 on a "single use item" just strikes me as a bit absurd in a way. For those curious as to the "single use item" phrase, if you know Alton Brown's kitchen philosophy, then you'll get it!

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:33 PM, sblfilms said:

If Criterion could please do a similar effort on the Millenium series… they need to clean up the lighting on a few of those but mostly I want Godzilla GMK upscaled and with proper subtitles… I would even endure Final Wars

Gamera trilogy is worthy of Criterion treatment too… maybe with the new film being made

Didnt know Mask of Zorro was already on 4K f’n Martin Campbell

On 11/19/2022 at 7:03 AM, SimpleG said:

SONY UBP-X800M2

I find it does a good job of upscaling non 4k formats.

I think I might go for this model also. I was looking at the Panasonic DP-UB820-K since it also had some great reviews and was 20% off on Amazon ($397), but its Blu-rays are region locked to Region A, and a significant portion of my Blu-rays were purchased in Germany (Region B).  I knew DVDs could be region locked, but I could have sworn I had read that Blu-rays were region free by default. :/ 

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

I think I might go for this model also. I was looking at the Panasonic DP-UB820-K since it also had some great reviews and was 20% off on Amazon ($397), but its Blu-rays are region locked to Region A, and a significant portion of my Blu-rays were purchased in Germany (Region B).  I knew DVDs could be region locked, but I could have sworn I had read that Blu-rays were region free by default. :/ 

4k aren't but blu rays are.

• Halal 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:34 PM, erehwon said:

I haven't had a lot that I've wanted to buy lately. I'm waiting for them to announce a physical release of the clone wars the final season and the mandalorian.  Is Disney not wanting to release these and keep them on DIsney+?

Sorry to burst your bubble but the mouse is very anti putting things on physical media since they launched Disney+.

I ended up doing a (comparatively) major home theater upgrade for myself this Black Friday. :blush:

I already had a pretty cheap Samsung 4K TV (IIRC it was around $250 or 300 from Costco) and I bought the above 4K Blu-ray player (Sony UBP-X800M2) and also bought the Vizio M51ax-J6 5.1 sound bar. Just rewatching Rings of Power on Prime with it was awesome... My first time ever having Dolby Atmos at home. :daydream:

Tomorrow I'll get the Blu-ray player hooked up and make Lord of the Rings UHD my first 4K movie with Dolby Atmos at home. :dancing:

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, johnny said:

good sound is a game changer. more than going from 1080 to 4k imo. 

It really is. One awesome thing I'm already noticing, for example, is that just having the voices and music separated out to the center and surround speakers, respectively, really helps to hear both of them so much better. It's making me appreciate the music in Rings of Power even more. This separation is probably old news to everyone else :lol: but like I said, this is the first time I've had actual surround sound in my movies at home. 

8 minutes ago, Nokra said:

It really is. One awesome thing I'm already noticing, for example, is that just having the voices and music separated out to the center and surround speakers, respectively, really helps to hear both of them so much better. It's making me appreciate the music in Rings of Power even more. This separation is probably old news to everyone else :lol: but like I said, this is the first time I've had actual surround sound in my movies at home. 

yeah, i never have a problem hearing things in a movie theatre but just base tv speakers i either need the volume jacked way up or subtitles on or i’ll miss things. with surround the need for that goes down (but it sounds awesome so you’ll listen to things louder more often lol) 

When my journey/addiction started for this. I was watching on a 25” RCA Stereo and then I added a 5.1 RCA HTiB and my world was forever changed. This all stemmed from a used electronics store at the mall behind my house. They had The Empire Strike Back on a simple stereo speaker setup and I was in love with the sound. Since then I think I’ve upgraded my receiver 5 or 6 times with each sound format upgrade (DD, DTS, EX/ES, PCM, TrueHD, Atmos, DTS: Pro X, and Auro 3D) Kind of admit I sort of have the same problem with my digital projectors sometimes, but being broke helps stop that habit. . . .although I could use a new screen to take advantage of HDR on my 4K discs/streaming to really make my colours pop. They look great now but I know they can sing with the right material 

• Hugs 1

O. M. G.

terrifier_Packshot_Exploded_2ecc5442-3c2
SHOP.UMBRELLAENT.COM.AU

All Hallow's Eve While watching two children on Halloween night, a babysitter finds an old VHS tape in the kids' trick or treat bag. The tape features three tales of terror, all linked together by a murderous clown. As the night goes on strange things begin to occur in the house. It isn't long before the babysitter learns the horrifying truth... the maniacal clown is slowly working his way into her reality...

Took me all of 45 seconds from when I saw that to when I ordered it. 

• Halal 1

I got this during the Criterion sale. If anything I'll get some street cred with @Greatoneshere

DCb7MEVHrWs8er62Ch9mVNgMnYkZB2_original.
WWW.CRITERION.COM

More than four decades after he took a razor blade to an eyeball and shocked the world with Un chien andalou, arch-iconoclast Luis Buñuel capped his astonishing career with three final provocations—The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire—in which his renegade, free-associating surrealism reached its audacious, self-detonating endgame. Working with...

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I got this during the Criterion sale. If anything I'll get some street cred with @Greatoneshere

DCb7MEVHrWs8er62Ch9mVNgMnYkZB2_original.
WWW.CRITERION.COM

More than four decades after he took a razor blade to an eyeball and shocked the world with Un chien andalou, arch-iconoclast Luis Buñuel capped his astonishing career with three final provocations—The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire—in which his renegade, free-associating surrealism reached its audacious, self-detonating endgame. Working with...

That is legit movie street cred, no question - nice work! 

• Hugs 1

• 4 weeks later...

So just a quick update, while I have gotten an absurd amount of films the last few weeks, I want to say I recently upgraded my center channel to a Klipsch RP-504C (for a whopping $300 - formerly had the R-50C) and as I hooked up this gigantic monstrosity of a center channel, only to ask myself "Why doesn't this sound as good as  you believe it should!?" I did a little digging and low & behold I not only discovered the Atmos settings through my Xbox Series X, but also a whole other set of tuning options through my Denon receiver (fuck I need to upgrade this later in the year as its an AVR X1300) so now my entire 7.1 setup sounds like I have never had the pleasure of hearing it every before!!

• Like 1

Groundhog Day - 4K
The Menu - Blu Ray (thanks Disney!)
Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead - 4K
Blade Runner: The Final Cut 4K
Leon: The Professional 4K
A Better Tomorrow - Blu-Ray
Live Die Repeat 4K
Dressed to Kill 4K
In Bruges 4K
Django Special Edition 4K (Arrow)
Platoon 4K