Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

Thanks to Best Buy's Black Friday 4K sale (still ongoing as of this post), I bought:

1. The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Extended/Theatrical]
  2. The Bourne Complete Collection
  3. The Transformers: The Movie [35th Anniversary Limited Edition]
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  5. Inception
  6. Watchmen
  7. Dr. Strangelove
  8. Speed
  9. A Clockwork Orange
  10. Everything Everywhere All At Once
  11. The Shawshank Redemption
  12. Planet Earth II

all 4K, for about $240 all together. 17 movies + 1 show (Planet Earth) means $240/18 =  about $13 each, so not too bad for 4K, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I recently saw a tweet by FilmsAtHome and it was an image from roughly 20ish years ago, comparing Blu Ray prices to 4K prices today, we're actually making out pretty well w/ physical media prices!!

Solid haul there Nokra!

When 4Ks first come out it seems like they're around $40, but my thinking is that if you wait until they're on sale, it costs around $6 to rent on e.g. Amazon, or I can pay another $3 and own it. 

• Like 1

So I more or less just got done updating my physical media specific wishlist on Amazon, I have roughly 50+ titles in there currently. I'm both ashamed there's so many, and also appalled that there's so few!

For the rest of you, IF you happen to have a similar list, how big is it?

*EDIT*

Also, quick update after having hooked up my Panasonic UB820 - I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT! The video & audio is so significantly improved thus far, plus the features & settings within to go along all that I have w/ my LGB6 & Denon X1300 (yes I know, need to upgrade them), I truly don't believe I have had better viewing experiences with what I've popped in so far. I really feel I got away with a steal having paid only $350 for this. The main downside for the time being until I can upgrade my receiver & TV, is that I only have one eARC input for the TV in which the HDMI is already plugged into that from my 4K eARC out of my receiver, so in turn I have to pass the audio from the player, to the receiver, to the TV instead of two separate dedicated HDMI's. It'll do for now, but alas the curse of having such a hobby, is that it is never actually "COMPLETE".

• Hype 3

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've shared it before but I have a google docs / sheets collection set up to look how DVD Aficionado looked like.

But I've been kinda lazy about cataloging it, so really I only do new stuff, or stuff as I get them, and always update the have seen tab.

Yeah that’s what happen to me when DVDaf.com went away. So I did the best I could on the blu-ray.com site to get my overall collection on there, but it gets all my newest purchases added

I appreciate the discussion on cataloging one's collection. I've been looking for an easy way to do so and have been coming up short.

Ideally, I think I'd like an app for my phone that would let me just scan the barcode on the case and instantly add it to my collection, link it to all relevant info (e.g. its IMDb page), etc. :thinking:

On 12/2/2023 at 6:03 AM, SoberChef said:

So I more or less just got done updating my physical media specific wishlist on Amazon, I have roughly 50+ titles in there currently. I'm both ashamed there's so many, and also appalled that there's so few!

For the rest of you, IF you happen to have a similar list, how big is it?

*EDIT*

Also, quick update after having hooked up my Panasonic UB820 - I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT! The video & audio is so significantly improved thus far, plus the features & settings within to go along all that I have w/ my LGB6 & Denon X1300 (yes I know, need to upgrade them), I truly don't believe I have had better viewing experiences with what I've popped in so far. I really feel I got away with a steal having paid only $350 for this. The main downside for the time being until I can upgrade my receiver & TV, is that I only have one eARC input for the TV in which the HDMI is already plugged into that from my 4K eARC out of my receiver, so in turn I have to pass the audio from the player, to the receiver, to the TV instead of two separate dedicated HDMI's. It'll do for now, but alas the curse of having such a hobby, is that it is never actually "COMPLETE".

Im a simple mammal and since nobody shares my love of the same movies my list is generally short for things I adore and must have.

-Kingdom of Heaven DC

-Aliens

-Conan the Barbarian and Destroyer (so glad its getting a deluxe release around my B-day)

-The Warriors

-The Crow… digital bit says its coming early next year… original cinematographer is overseeing its transfer

-Leone Trilogy

-How to Train Your Dragon..

beyond that its a matter of Toho releasing a few specific Godzilla movies to 4k

• Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Im a simple mammal and since nobody shares my love of the same movies my list is generally short for things I adore and must have.

-Kingdom of Heaven DC

-Aliens

-Conan the Barbarian and Destroyer (so glad its getting a deluxe release around my B-day)

-The Warriors

-The Crow… digital bit says its coming early next year

-Leone Trilogy

-How to Train Your Dragon..

beyond that its a matter of Toho releasing a few specific Godzilla movies to 4k

I WOULD LOVE THE CROW ON 4K!

Aliens was just announced for a 4k release in March.

Warriors is out next Tuesday in 4K

Criterion got a good chunk of the Godzilla films and did a blu-ray collection release. Thankfully they’re getting better at releasing older releases on 4k disc. 

• Hype 2

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I WOULD LOVE THE CROW ON 4K!

Aliens was just announced for a 4k release in March.

Warriors is out next Tuesday in 4K

Criterion got a good chunk of the Godzilla films and did a blu-ray collection release. Thankfully they’re getting better at releasing older releases on 4k disc. 

Was definitely not tracking The Warriors next tuesday.. thanks a ton..

plus it seems its both versions so the unnecessary 2005 cut wont be the only version available..

• Halal 1

I was ready to go all in on the Best Buy $10 Steelbooks, specially for upgrading Disney, original Star Wars. bunch of the stuff is walk in and pickup unfortunately for me. Perhaps some of you have better access

Deals

• The Lion King Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: A New Hope Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back Steelbook (4K UHD +
    Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Steelbook (4K UHD +
    Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Coco Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Beauty and the Beast Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray)
    $9.99
  • Toy Story Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)
    $9.99
  • Cars Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • The Little Mermaid (1989) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Cinderella Steelbook (1950) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Aladdin Steelbook (1992) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Encanto Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)
    $9.99
  • Moana Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital) $9.99
  • Iron Man Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I was ready to go all in on the Best Buy $10 Steelbooks, specially for upgrading Disney, original Star Wars. bunch of the stuff is walk in and pickup unfortunately for me. Perhaps some of you have better access

Deals

• The Lion King Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: A New Hope Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back Steelbook (4K UHD +
    Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Steelbook (4K UHD +
    Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Coco Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • Beauty and the Beast Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray)
    $9.99
  • Toy Story Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)
    $9.99
  • Cars Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray) $9.99
  • The Little Mermaid (1989) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Cinderella Steelbook (1950) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Aladdin Steelbook (1992) (4K UHD + Blu-ray +
    Digital) $9.99
  • Encanto Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)
    $9.99
  • Moana Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital) $9.99
  • Iron Man Steelbook (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital)

I would have been interested in buying the original Star Wars trilogy in 4K, but it looks like they're already sold out. 

• 2 weeks later...

So who, if anyone, got anything fun for physical media gifts?

My haul this year as follows:

Oppenheimer 4K

George Carlin full stand up collection

All Quiet on the Western Front 4K (Netflix version - I enjoy it)

A History of Violence Blu-Ray (dammit Cronenberg, why isn't this on 4K!?)

Scream 3 Steelbook 4K

Pitch Black 4K

Schindler's List 4K

Bridge on the River Kwai 4K

The Warriors 4K Collector's Edition

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 4K

Tremors 2 4K Collector's Edition

All in all, ZERO complaints here!

Hope you all have a merry holiday season!

• Like 1
  • Hype 3

Good haul, @SoberChef!

On a side note: Something I didn't even realize when I started buying 4K movies but for which I'm grateful is how many of them come with not only the 4K Blu-ray but also the "standard" Blu-ray. Getting that standard Blu-ray feels like a nice bonus and makes it much easier to e.g. 1)rip to my hard drive and 2)watch at someone else's house who hasn't yet upgraded to 4K. 

:daydream:

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Yeah between that, the oftentimes inclusion of a digital code, plus also the fact that for the most part, 4K discs are region free, so yay for that as well. Happy holidays Nokra!

I've never used the digital codes since I just rip them myself so I'm curious: Do the digital versions from the codes usually include some kind of DRM?

And Happy Holidays! :dancing:

Jeff has a link w/ a discount code for Modern Shelving

These are tremendous looking, made out of aluminum, customizable with the site, and hold roughly up to 50 Blu's per row & segment (for his setup that is.)

Just wanted to share for everyone, as we've all been there having & needing to get new shelving for our physical media collections!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unsure if anyone else happened to take advantage of the "secret" sale Amazon was having post holidays (3 for $33 on select 4K's), but I pulled the trigger on Fury Road, Spartacus, & The Town (only own the last already on Blu, never owned either of the other two so figured why not add them to the collection finally.)

Also, over the next month or so, I'll receive 'Mean Streets', 'Inside', & 'High Tension' from Second Sight Films, as well as the pushed back Universal Monsters 4K limited collection.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, SoberChef said:

So apparently, starting in February, when it comes to major studios releasing physical copies of their productions, it will be every OTHER week going forward. Interesting...

Seems like another step along the path of phasing out physical media altogether, but I guess we'll see.