Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

I literally have an unopened copy of Heat on blu-ray sitting to the side of me. I have yet too see the movie and now wondering if I should wait for a 4K viewing? I bought Avatar 3 times on disc but never watched anything until I had a 3D copy and projector to do so. WB is pretty good at upgrading catalog titles to the higher end formats. I even think Wizard of Oz got an Atmos track treatment. Sony a bit better in this regard for upgraded sound, and Paramount doesn’t really do dick. I just did a pre-order binge on some steelbooks from Best Buy (I have a problem) So I have Sonic 2 4K, Top Gun Maverick 4K, and Fantastic Beasts 3 4K. Last one was bought because I need to finish the set but really upset there was no 3D presentation of the film. Imported the first 2 from France because they offer 3D/4K steelbook combos, which I wish more companies did here. Very rarely happens but I’m holding out hope for Avatar 2 and James Cameron being able to bully Disney into releasing it. . . .it worked for Alita.

• Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I don't know what else you happen to have planned this weekend @silentbobbut god dammit WATCH HEAT!!!!!!!

I’ll try my best but I got a mad load of backlogged films I wanna see first (I do mean first, never seen yet) that have just been waiting for receiver/Atmos sound to return.  Dune 3D, The Batman, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, No Time To Die, Matrix Resurrections, Doctor Sleep, Intersteller , The Invisible Man and a couple others I have ahead of it. Sadly it looks like Heat is sticking with the old DTS-HDMA 5.1 track but I do hear it kicks ass. Just wish we got a newer Atmos/DTS:X track love for the catalogue release. Unless Mann is like Nolan and doesn’t like messing with anything higher then 5.1 for their releases.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit my buying hasn’t been huge but I did have to spend the little extra money on the steelbook for Secrets of Dumbledore 4K, to complete my steelbook series. I have all the Harry Potter films in steelbooks, but really wish this last film was given a 3D release like the first 2. I still haven’t seen the 2nd but I have seen the first movie a couple times, opening of the 2nd film once or twice on my 3D setup and are fucking incredible to watch. Also picked up based on word of mouth, Everything Everywhere All At Once 4K Buddy is coming over tonight for a wings night to celebrate my 40th Bday (yesterday) and will hopefully be able to talk him into watching it tonight

While we're at it, why not discuss "must have/favorites" that aren't YET available in 4K? I ask this as I'm currently enjoying one of THE all time great soundtracks in "The Crow" and I am still flummoxed over the fact that there hasn't been a boutique 4K release (hello Arrow/Scream/Shout Factory!!!) Granted, Harvey really screwed the pooch (and many others) so its all a rights issue thing I believe but hot damn if something truly spectacular couldn't come out of this amazing film in an ultra deluxe collector's edition.

• Like 1

That would be one of my choices. Imagine a newly made Dolby Atmos track and an HDR full cleaned up 4K presentation. :daydream:

I would love too see some Miyazaki films get an HDR grading and an Atmos track for the amazing Joe Hisashi scores. True Lies I guess has to be thrown out there too and Avatar will probably get a 4K release before or after the 2nd movie release. I just hope a 3D disc is offered as well for that release. Just think what a Dolby Vision treatment with that colour palette and vegetative brightness playing against the dark night skies would look like. My number #1 choice would be for Little Shop of Horrors(‘86) just because I fucking love the movie and the music. 

• True 1

I've heard rumblings that Avatar in 4K will be out shortly before Avatar 2 releases. Hopefully with that, we'll get more of Cameron's works in 4K thereafter. That being said, let's hope he gives the green light to Katheryn Bigelow's works! Point Break, Near Dark, Strange Days all are amazing AF!!

I think it was in The Last Drive-In season 3 where Joe Bob showed the original Little Shop of Horrors (one of, if not THE first Jack Nicholson film!!) which was amazing as hell.

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

While we're at it, why not discuss "must have/favorites" that aren't YET available in 4K? I ask this as I'm currently enjoying one of THE all time great soundtracks in "The Crow" and I am still flummoxed over the fact that there hasn't been a boutique 4K release (hello Arrow/Scream/Shout Factory!!!) Granted, Harvey really screwed the pooch (and many others) so its all a rights issue thing I believe but hot damn if something truly spectacular couldn't come out of this amazing film in an ultra deluxe collector's edition.

That soundtrack is such a fucking banger, I have the vinyl and gets heavy rotation .

I would love to see The Terminator and T2 get proper 4k releases 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 3:44 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Me waiting for True Lies just to come to blu-ray

Polish Waiting GIF by Loud Lacquer

How this is sold on Amazon I have no idea but it looks pretty damn good, supposedly it came from the HD print that was for the DVD. Its also region free.

https://www.amazon.com/Mentiras-Arriesgadas-1994-True-Blu-Ray/dp/B089GHS1KM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31F2ISI04XBDB&keywords=true+lies+blu+ray+4k&qid=1658085697&sprefix=true+lies%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-1

• True 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vinegar Syndrome SummerFest Sale begins at midnight EST

“Throughout the sale, nearly 200 VS and Peekarama releases will be marked down to 50% off SRP! The films selected represent a sampling of titles for which the film elements (ranging from camera negatives to only known prints) are vaulted in our archives. As many of you know, VS was founded not just to release genre films, but to find and preserve their original film materials, with an emphasis on saving the types of works most often endangered. This mission is still the driving force behind VS, and our efforts to protect cinema history is stronger than ever, with newly recovered materials arriving at our archives each month to be preserved.

“In addition, at the opening of the sale, we’ll be unveiling our next duo of Peekarama releases, one a UHD upgrading of a classic double feature from one of the genre’s most celebrated directors and starring one of his favorite leading ladies, and the other the world Blu-ray debut of a star-studded classic from an equal parts legendary and notorious hardcore auteur. Plus, two of our favorite Peekarama releases will be receiving newly designed Catalog Slipcovers!

We’ve also prepared one of our best and most entertaining VSA’s to date; a southern-shot 80s actioner that’s non-stop fun from start to end and is making its world Blu-ray debut!

Also, several of the incredible artists with whom we work with have created new posters, shirt designs, and more, including an original take on the artwork for a VS classic dating back to our earliest days of DVD.

“As with all of our sales, the “Add to my existing sale order” FREE shipping option will be enabled. Also, if you have already placed a pre-order this month, you can use this free shipping option to combine any additional sale orders with your existing pre-order. And for our Subscribers, you already know what to do!”

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

$11 for The Northman is a fucking steal! Awesome to see Bob!

the place I got them from is a great little place in Hamilton (nearby city) I’ve gone in 2 days after a release and pick up the 4K disc sealed for $15 or cheaper. They slowed down a lot during the pandemic but starting to see some more movie drops happening once again. I know they probably “fell off the truck” from a store but I’m not worried for half price or better. That Jurassic Park Dominion (wish a 3D version were being released) is like $50cnd after taxes and I got it for less then half. I even got my Nolan Batman Trilogy on 4K for just $40 from there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased The Lost Boys Steelbook 4K from Best Buy which I'll pick up later today, at which time I will implore someone in charge to ring me up for the Reservoir Dogs 4K Steelbook that will be out in November because that film is a classic, launched QTs career, and the artwork for it is *Chef's Kiss* ICONIC!

Spoiler

6521312_sd.jpg

• Like 1

So I have attempted multiple times to pre-order via the BB website & it keeps saying that the method of delivery is no longer available. Even went in person & called support in hopes of those methods being the way to pre-order yet to no avail. Finally spoke w/ a customer service rep through their website & they said that the pre-order #'s have gone through the roof & is one of their most in demand pre-orders that they have seen & to just "keep trying" ... FAHQ! I really don't want to have to go to a boutique overseas place to get this & pay an additional $20-30 for it.