Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Thanks for this. After I watched Love Exposure a couple months ago I saw there was an Arrow Blu-Ray of the movie and I was keeping my eye on it. Seems like a good time to grab it and some other things.

I'm just going to float it out in the world but I hope some day they put Ping Pong out on blu-ray :pray:

(Not the animated one this one)

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, silentbob said:

My Australian 3D order arrived almost 2 weeks early :D 

spacer.png

I love when this happens. My copy of Videodrome 4k showed up today , wasnt suppose to arrive till the 16th. The shipper used Royal Mail and there was no tracking it so I was gonna be happy that it showed at all.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

Did my tax return and instead of saving it, I’m spending a bit of it on Ralph Breaks The Internet 4K/3D and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania 4K/3D steelbook from Japan (same art as Best Buy Steelbook) Did that Saturday and Ralph will be here tomorrow. Last time I checked, it was at a sorting facility in Cincinnati as of 6am this morning

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

possibly a physical media sin but i was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for what i could buy to store some of my discs in a smaller space. everybody used to have those binders for CDs. i was thinking of something along those lines but i want it to be something that would keep my discs scratch free. i have 3 full bookshelves of blu rays/4ks and want to free up about 1 of them. 

15 hours ago, johnny said:

possibly a physical media sin but i was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for what i could buy to store some of my discs in a smaller space. everybody used to have those binders for CDs. i was thinking of something along those lines but i want it to be something that would keep my discs scratch free. i have 3 full bookshelves of blu rays/4ks and want to free up about 1 of them. 

Yeah I’m up there with you on having at least 3 bookshelves worth of movies, I’m probably closer to 6 or 7.  I have chest full of my dvds, bookshelf in the hall with 4 shelves taken, 2 crates at the front, 4 at my door, 2 under the bed and shit load at the foot of my bed on one of my 2 subwoofers. Then I bought these in the past 2 weeks

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time to stalk up on missing movies 

acastro_STK072_05.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Netflix will ship the final discs on September 29th.

Also I just added a 3D copy of Blade Runner 2049 to my collection (have 4K version too) and just got my 3D Japanese import Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. Hoping to watch it sometime this afternoon 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Time to stalk up on missing movies 

acastro_STK072_05.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Netflix will ship the final discs on September 29th.

Weird. They sent out an Email saying they would send you 10 discs at once at the end too. :thinking:

EDIT: Oh that's what the article is talking about I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Well I'd love to hear their thoughts & opinions on the tech & how they're utilizing it!

I'd look up the Rokid Max first. It's the same price but better specs and better build quality imo. Both Stepee and I have used both sets. The arms of the Xreal Air snapped off for me from normal use but I've had the Rokids for a while now and they're still perfect. The Rokids are also capable of 120hz (though I almost never use it). There's a thread here where we talked about them a bunch. If you search the terms you'll find it. 

I'll just add that I use them every day and they might be my all-time favorite electronic gadget. I mostly use them to watch tv/movies and play games in bed. I actually haven't used my 72" 4k tv in my living room for games in several months because of them. I moved my whole PS5 into my bedroom where there is no TV so I could plug these into it and play it in bed. 

• Shocked 1

I don’t use my Rokid Max as much as I want too, but they always impress whoever tries them on. Image is overall very sharp and saturated looking, but the edges blur a bit if you adjust the focus diopters for the lenses. My sister in law loved them when she tried them on while nursing her newborn, and I think she wants a pair of her own now. 

Yeah using the diopter adjustment on all of these glasses will blur the edges. I think that's currently a limit of the tech since your eyes are moving but the lens is static. When I want a really good visual experience I just wear contacts with them and then it's all totally clear. 

Well ... fuck!

WWW.MEDIAPLAYNEWS.COM

Ingram Entertainment is getting out of the DVD and Blu-ray Disc business. “Expenses are exceeding sales [so it’s] time to exit,” chairman and CEO David Ingram told Media Play News. … Continue reading "Ingram Entertainment, Once the Largest Home Entertainment Distributor, Exits Disc Business"

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Well ... fuck!

WWW.MEDIAPLAYNEWS.COM

Ingram Entertainment is getting out of the DVD and Blu-ray Disc business. “Expenses are exceeding sales [so it’s] time to exit,” chairman and CEO David Ingram told Media Play News. … Continue reading "Ingram Entertainment, Once the Largest Home Entertainment Distributor, Exits Disc Business"

As a physical media buyer, this kinda worries me. Over the past few months WB, Universal and (for a while now) Lionsgate have dropped the digital copy codes from their newest disc releases. Warner Bros has even dropped the blu-ray copy, minus steelbook release (The Flash for example) We had another digital movie site fold years ago in Canada but thankfully was able to be transfer for free 99% of my collection over to Google Play. Still lost a movie or 2, but forget which ones. I just don’t trust my digital collection to always be there. I trust myself with my physical discs, I have them in my hand, and it’s on me if I fucking misplace/break the movie. Although I guess I should invest in a couple replacement uhd players, even though I have a PS5 and XBox One X. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

My intention is to have a dedicated 4K player before end of the year (even if it means begging for one as a combined birthday/xmas gift.) Sometimes on a whim I'll snag a digi copy on like Prime if I'm in the mood to watch something I haven't seen in years and it's under $5 to "own".

well I know you were talking about region free play and it seems the Panasonic UB420(no Dolby Vision) and UB820(w. Dolby Vision)are pretty much region free players out of the box. So if you want good I would look at least at the UB820 for a purchase. 

• 1 month later...

Finally, the one film I have wanted most (besides Kingdom of Heaven DC)

If it somehow generated a released for the expanded film scores it would be perfect..

Jan 16th perfect for ze birthday

FORUM.BLU-RAY.COM

Conan the Barbarian / Conan the Destroyer Chronicles 4K UHD (1982-1984) (Arrow Films) 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

• Hype 1

@5timechamp An announcement like this DESERVES a full on post about it:

Spoiler

1698344881_1.png

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Six double-sided collectors’ postcards
- Illustrated collectors’ booklet featuring new writing by Walter Chaw and John Walsh, and an archive set report by Paul M. Sammon

DISC ONE – FEATURE (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
- 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentations in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of three versions of the film via seamless branching: the Theatrical Cut (127 mins), the International Cut (129 mins) and the Extended Cut (130 mins)
- Newly restored original mono audio and remixed Dolby Atmos surround audio on all three cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on all three cuts
- Archive feature commentary by director John Milius and star Arnold Schwarzenegger (Extended Cut only)
- Brand new feature commentary by genre historian Paul M. Sammon, author of Conan: The Phenomenon (Extended Cut only)
- Newly assembled isolated score track in lossless stereo (Extended Cut only)

DISC TWO – EXTRAS (BLU-RAY)
- Conan Unchained: The Making of Conan, an archive documentary from 2000 featuring interviews with Schwarzenegger, Milius, Stone, Jones, Lopez, Bergman, Poledouris and several others
- Designing Conan, a newly filmed interview with production artist William Stout
- Costuming Conan, a newly filmed interview with costume designer John Bloomfield
- Barbaric Effects, a newly filmed interview with special effects crew members Colin Arthur and Ron Hone
- Young Conan, a newly filmed interview with actor Jorge Sanz
- Conan & The Priest, a newly filmed interview with actor Jack Taylor
- Cutting the Barbarian, a newly filmed interview with assistant editor Peck Prior
- Crafting Conan’s Magic, a newly filmed interview with visual effects crew members Peter Kuran and Katherine Kean
- Barbarians and Northmen, a newly filmed interview with filmmaker Robert Eggers on the film’s influence on The Northman
- Behind the Barbarian, a newly filmed interview with John Walsh, author of Conan the Barbarian: The Official History of the Film
- A Line in the Sand, a newly filmed interview with Alfio Leotta, author of The Cinema of John Milius
- Conan: The Rise of a Fantasy Legend, an archive featurette on the film’s literary and comic book roots
- Art of Steel: Sword Makers & Masters, an archive interview with sword master Kiyoshi Yamasaki
- Conan: From the Vault, an archive compilation of on-set cast and crew interviews
- A Tribute to Basil Poledouris, a series of videos produced by the Úbeda Film Music Festival, including video of Poledouris conducting a concert of music from the film in 2006 (remixed in 5.1 surround) and interviews with collaborators such as Paul Verhoeven and Randal Kleiser
- Rarely-seen electronic press kit from 1982, featuring over half an hour of on-set footage and cast and crew interviews (from a watermarked tape source)
- Outtakes, including a deleted cameo by Milius
- Split-screen “Valeria Battles Spirits” visual effects comparison
- Conan: The Archives, a gallery of photos and production images from 2000
- Conan the Barbarian: The Musical, an affectionate comic tribute to the film by Jon & Al Kaplan
- US and International teaser and theatrical trailers
- Image gallery

Spoiler

1698344881_2.png

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
- 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2160p) presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Newly restored original mono audio and remixed Dolby Atmos surround audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Archive feature commentary by director Richard Fleischer
- Archive feature commentary by actors Olivia d’Abo and Tracey Walter
- Archive feature commentary by actor Sarah Douglas with genre historians Kim Newman & Stephen Jones
- Brand new feature commentary by genre historian Paul M. Sammon, author of Conan: The Phenomenon
- Newly assembled isolated score track in lossless stereo
- Casting the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with casting director Johanna Ray
- Cut from a Different Cloth, a newly filmed interview with costume designer John Bloomfield
- Dune and the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with art director Kevin Phipps
- Swords, Sorcery & Stunts, a newly filmed interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong
- Behind the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with John Walsh, author of Conan the Barbarian: The Official History of the Film
- Conan: The Making of a Comic Book Legend, an archive interview with writers Roy Thomas & Gerry Conway
- Basil Poledouris: Composing the Conan Saga, an archive interview with the composer
- Theatrical trailers
- Image gallery
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Six double-sided collectors’ postcards
- Illustrated collectors’ booklet featuring new writing by Walter Chaw and John Walsh, and an archive set report by Paul M. Sammon

Or perhaps you want to spend all the monies on the ultimate Arnold/Conan double feature in glorious 4K instead?

Spoiler

348381_front.jpg?t=1698347872

348381_overview.jpg?t=1698347874

Well worth the wait for these, always wished that Destroyer was rated R but alas, nevertheless, both shall be out-fucking-standing!

• 3 weeks later...