Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

@Emblazondid you end up getting that Terrifier 2 set?

Recently on a whim I picked up both X-Men First Class & Days of Future Past on 4K as well as Speed 4K all for free using points on Amazon, they & the new Zach Snyder/James Gunn Dawn of the Dead 4K should arrive by end of the week. I also ordered on BB the 3:10 to Yuma 4K steelbook as well as pre-ordered the steelbook 4K of Training Day.

Anyone else recently pick up anything they cherish in the physical media space?

• Halal 1

Sadly I haven’t bought since Xmas. Although I’m gonna see a little bit of money come my way soon (small couple K pension payout from my last job) So I’ll probably order my missing 3D marvel films from Amazon Japan. So probably ordering soon

The Eternals

Shang-Chi

Dr. Strange: MoM

Thor: Love and Thunder

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 

if available, I want them in there Steelbook form. Have them all like that since The Avengers initial home video release 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silentbob said:

Sadly I haven’t bought since Xmas. Although I’m gonna see a little bit of money come my way soon (small couple K pension payout from my last job) So I’ll probably order my missing 3D marvel films from Amazon Japan. So probably ordering soon

The Eternals

Shang-Chi

Dr. Strange: MoM

Thor: Love and Thunder

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 

if available, I want them in there Steelbook form. Have them all like that since The Avengers initial home video release 

Not sure if you heard but Avatar Way of Water will have a 4K 3D release.

8 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Got mine last night. Check it as soon as you can , mine had the worst case of off gassing. Every disk and the entire inside of the case was an oil slick. Scream factory has gone down hill .

8 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I got the Missing in Action Trilogy last week from Kino... That's been a fun watch.

Sucks when that happens, my Platoon & Django 4Ks, the packaging was damaged to the point the cases were broken, pisses me off.

Whole not a fan of the 3rd, the first two are solid. Hows that collection look and sound and how are the extras?

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

Well I caved and bought Field of Dreams 4k and Jackass4ever blu-ray. I’ve been meaning to get Field of Dreams for a bit, as the movie hits me emotionally after losing my dad. The other movie was $12 and a small price to pay for mindless entertainment 

Sorry to hear about your father's passing but at least you have a token, an emotional touchstone in which to keep his memory alive & that's beautiful!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:23 PM, SoberChef said:

Whole not a fan of the 3rd, the first two are solid. Hows that collection look and sound and how are the extras?

I'm not an audiophile guy in the slightest (let alone anyone who can review movies for their disc merits). But I will say that the picture looks great compared to the Shout! release, and the discs are simple for idiots like me who just like to pop in a movie and play it without any fuss (I doubt any of this helps you, lol). I haven't gone through any extras, but I've read that everything included in this first movie is stuff that Shout! already had in theirs. Still, Shout! only had the first movie, and with Kino you'd be getting all three in one set for ~$40 - which is not a bad purchase in the slightest.

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Original Django…

im currently trying to find the best version of -Conan the Barbarian (expanded soundtrack would be nice too)

-Hoping for The Warriors in a Not Directors Cut

-Waiting on Kingdom of Heaven too.. if Scotts 2 Russell Crowe “epics” are 4K why not this

They just announced a 4K for Conan the Barbarian. The Warriors SHOULD have both the original AND director's cuts on the 4K I believe. 

On 2/1/2023 at 5:49 AM, SoberChef said:

@Emblazondid you end up getting that Terrifier 2 set?

Recently on a whim I picked up both X-Men First Class & Days of Future Past on 4K as well as Speed 4K all for free using points on Amazon, they & the new Zach Snyder/James Gunn Dawn of the Dead 4K should arrive by end of the week. I also ordered on BB the 3:10 to Yuma 4K steelbook as well as pre-ordered the steelbook 4K of Training Day.

Anyone else recently pick up anything they cherish in the physical media space?

You know, I haven't received it yet. I should check on that. 

• Shocked 1

Dawn Of The Dead 4k

Film holds a special place for me. Its the first true horror film my daughter became obsessed with . My father loved NOTLD growing up, I loved ROTLD and my daughter got hooked in with this film. A bit of passing the torch if you will.

The film looks great at 4k, the over saturated look mixed with sickly green tint sets the tone for the film. I do wish they had done an atmos mix though.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 4k

Such a weird film, it never feels like it knows what its doing. The character just kind of show up and do shit, and the chainsaw wiggles are bat shit strange.

Image is great, the make up and gore effects hold up really well.

David Bowie Live LA 1974 Tour Vinyl

Totally love the low fi quality of this album. It sounds like a high quality boot leg from period. There is something very cathartic about dropping this in and rolling a hooter off the cover.

• Thanks 1

Unsure about anybody else but apparently the Training Day 4K due to release next week, the standard version is packaged in a Blu Ray case and not a 4K case, personally I opted for the pretty sweet looking steelbook anyways, but just wanted to share a heads up.

Also, it was revealed that Arrow will be releasing 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' in May on 4K!! Unsure if I'll snag that immediately via pre-order or instead wait and see as Criterion already did a fantastic job with the Blu Ray a number of years ago, so maybe they'll have an announcement as well?

I was watching my Blade Runner 2049 4k disc, and it froze on me. So, I re-bought it for whatever $30 it current goes for. But then I was watching Everything, Everywhere(...) on 4k, and that froze on me. So, I checked out a Google search and it turns out I have a crappy 4k player (Sony UBP 700) that's known to overheat and crash during long movie playbacks. But then, it's also known to be so sensitive that a tiny hair or fingerprint can also cause these catastrophic crashes, so no one's even sure what the problem with this brand is. So, not only did I spend $30 on a replacement disc for a movie that probably wasn't broken in the first place, but now I've gotta find a different 4k player that I can get modded to be region free.. F'n Sony...

23 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I was watching my Blade Runner 2049 4k disc, and it froze on me. So, I re-bought it for whatever $30 it current goes for. But then I was watching Everything, Everywhere(...) on 4k, and that froze on me. So, I checked out a Google search and it turns out I have a crappy 4k player (Sony UBP 700) that's known to overheat and crash during long movie playbacks. But then, it's also known to be so sensitive that a tiny hair or fingerprint can also cause these catastrophic crashes, so no one's even sure what the problem with this brand is. So, not only did I spend $30 on a replacement disc for a movie that probably wasn't broken in the first place, but now I've gotta find a different 4k player that I can get modded to be region free.. F'n Sony...

I know on the avsforum that this site is pretty reputable. Depending on what you wanna spend. I would look into the Panasonic UB420/820 or their premium UB900 unit that some say even tops my Oppo. 

WWW.220-ELECTRONICS.COM

We carry the top brand names of Region Free Blu-ray Players at the lowest prices in the world, guaranteed! Shop our huge inventory of Code Free and Muti-Region Bluray Players today and save!

• Hugs 2

Yea, every thread about this Sony model that I've read on the net always has multiple people saying that the Panasonic model is the way to go. But dam, $400-$1400 (depending on the model) is not an immediate amount of cash I have access to atm =/ And I think I read something where people were saying that the Sony models all have Atmos or HDR10, or something, that other models don't have... At least my Sony can still watch sub 2hr 4k movies without problems for now. But it's a dam sucky feeling to watch a movie and worry that it's gonna randomly freeze the longer it goes, lol

• Hugs 1

I've had 2 4K discs freeze on me and they were both Star Wars movies (Rogue One and A New Hope). Some genius thought it was a good idea to stack the 4K disc on top of the bonus disc and the 4K discs were scratched in the process. The BR disc had its own slot. Luckily, eps V-VIII were unscathed and I switched slots.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:54 PM, IdeaOfEvil said:

While I use my Series X as my 4K player, I too am aware that I really should obtain a dedicated, region free player as well. Solid work Bob on jumping on that as you did, appreciate ya!

• Halal 1

I finally got that money I was waiting on. So my Marvel 3D films have been ordered. Could only get my Thor: L&T and Wakanda Forever in their Steelbook forms. (Wish they had the Namor steelbook) At least all of them come with the 4K disc as well, but god was that expensive. Should see my order by next week, minus WF, as that isn’t out until mid April in the steelbook

The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers Extended Editions had issues (I think the sound cut, skipped lots of frames and the picture had digital noise) in the last few minutes of disc 1 that required me to stop and restart my LG player (I ejected the disc to inspect and put it back in) to get past. Didn't have a problem with The Return of the King. 

2 hours ago, dualhunter said:

The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers Extended Editions had issues (I think the sound cut, skipped lots of frames and the picture had digital noise) in the last few minutes of disc 1 that required me to stop and restart my LG player (I ejected the disc to inspect and put it back in) to get past. Didn't have a problem with The Return of the King. 

Love LG for their TVs (receivers good too) but I have never been much of a fan of their disc players. Had issues with them during my theatre projection days. Why management kept buying them, I have no idea why but they were prone to disc skips, freeze or outright die on use of play. We ran 4 or them daily for 12-14hrs for our preview show in theatres and a different disc player in our lobby show. Plus we had another 2 for our party rooms, and just ran random kid movies on the TVs as advertisement. So I told them to move onto Panasonic or Toshiba and they lasted much longer with only a few little issues.

Sorry for my rant

• Like 1

Holy shit is Amazon Japan fast. I already received 3 of my marvel 3D movies as of today. Shang-Chi was being shipped separately but left at the same time as the ones I got today. So far I got my Eternals, Dr. Strange and Thor and no dents to my packaging 

• Shocked 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:08 AM, SoberChef said:

@silentbobso wait just how fast was that shipping exactly? Seeing that domestically they cannot even do 2 day anymore (in case anyone didn't realize!)

I ordered them on Wednesday and the 3 were delivered by Friday morning. My Amazon prime orders sometimes take longer than that. These movies had only crossed the fucking Pacific Ocean and then 3/4 of Canada. I can literally drive too the Amazon warehouses near me, pick up my order, drive home and only take maybe 2hrs.

Shang-Chi just arrived today (Monday) Again, fuck they are fast

Continuing my 3D movie buying habit. There’s an Australian company called RandomSpaceMedia, and they sometimes get their hands on 3D movies that never got a studio release. (Spider-Man: No Way Home being my first of theirs)  So they just announced a limited run of Dreamworks The Bad Guys, Minions:Rise of Gru and Sing 2. Also picked up Hotel Transylvania 3 as well

• Like 1

I hear that the Hotel Transylvania flicks are fun. I just got the Dazed & Confused Criterion 4K for the low price of merely $0.06!!! (Thanks Amazon rewards & also aiding me in obtaining Return of the Living Dead for free as well!)

There's the first big Criterion sale coming up soon just as a heads up for everyone. (Essentially all titles are half off during these.)

• Like 1

Les Voyages de l'âme getting a reissued book version :angry-fap-small:

US.PROPHECY.DE

Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Âme - The quintessence of Alcest "Les voyages de l'âme" ("The Journeys of the Soul") is Alcest's third album and contains the quintessence of the group's creative work to dat

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

During Black Friday I bought the complete James Bond collection on Blu-ray (was on sale for $40, currently $84). I happened to still have a couple of the 90s movies (GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies) on DVD and to kill some time, I did a side by side comparison. It will of course surprise nobody, but it never ceases to amaze me how even older movies look 1000% better on Blu-ray. Even the 1960s movies (e.g. Dr. No, 1962) look great. :daydream: 

• Like 1