Dave Chappelle gets cancelled into four more Netflix specials

33 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Also, not to bum anyone out, but if George Carlin was still alive today he would totally be one of the more outspoken voices against cancel culture. His You are All Diseased special has... not aged well.

Tbh I didn’t think it was funny anyway :p 

It’s sandwiches between two great specials, but YAAD seems more like Carlin ranting without the normal wit.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Tbh I didn’t think it was funny anyway :p 

It’s sandwiches between two great specials, but YAAD seems more like Carlin ranting without the normal wit.

But that was still the trajectory he was clearly heading towards.

I used to like it back when I liked angry self-righteous comedy like Bill Hicks and David Cross. It’s not really my thing, personally. I now find Carlin’s later day period to feel more like a preachy Ted Talk than a comedy special. Some of the stuff was ahead of it’s time I suppose I just don’t get much from it today.

14 minutes ago, Komusha said:

But that was still the trajectory he was clearly heading towards.

I used to like it back when I liked angry self-righteous comedy like Bill Hicks and David Cross. It’s not really my thing, personally. I now find Carlin’s later day period to feel more like a preachy Ted Talk than a comedy special. Some of the stuff was ahead of it’s time I suppose I just don’t get much from it today.

Complaints and Grievances and It's Bad For Ya are EXCELLENT, as are Back in New York and Back In Town. tbh, he didn't really find himself until the middle of the career, I think, around Playin' With Your Head with his great skits about giving your love and losing things. 90s is when the "edgy" Carlin emerged, but I think he had a keen sense of using comedy to write and not simply writing comedy that You Are All Diseased totally missed.

Side note, Carlin's daughter did say he liked Hillary.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Complaints and Grievances and It's Bad For Ya are EXCELLENT, as are Back in New York and Back In Town. tbh, he didn't really find himself until the middle of the career, I think, around Playin' With Your Head with his great skits about giving your love and losing things. 90s is when the "edgy" Carlin emerged, but I think he had a keen sense of using comedy to write and not simply writing comedy that You Are All Diseased totally missed.

Side note, Carlin's daughter did say he liked Hillary.

I’m not saying he would have been right wing, just would have been one of those old comedians such as John Cleese who complains about what you can’t say these days. He was already doing that in the 90’s so it wouldn’t be a stretch.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm definitely not going to say I feel bad for Louis CK, but like... It really seems like he didn't know what he did was wrong at the time and has since apologized? What he did has probably sounded like a good idea when I've been on cocaine (in fact I've been on the receiving end of said interaction on more than one occasion), and I can totally understand how he didn't realize the position of power he was in at the time. Not to say that that's exactly what happened, but I can see how it could be.

Like abuse of power isn't necessarily intuitive, and everyone is just quick to vanish him from existence, and I'm like.. I can a case where he doesn't deserve that.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm definitely not going to say I feel bad for Louis CK, but like... It really seems like he didn't know what he did was wrong at the time and has since apologized? What he did has probably sounded like a good idea when I've been on cocaine (in fact I've been on the receiving end of said interaction on more than one occasion), and I can totally understand how he didn't realize the position of power he was in at the time. Not to say that that's exactly what happened, but I can see how it could be.

Like abuse of power isn't necessarily intuitive, and everyone is just quick to vanish him from existence, and I'm like.. I can a case where he doesn't deserve that.

Absolutely ludicrous.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, Kamusha said:

He was a talented joke writer but he wasn't that great of a performer, objectively speaking. He enormous stage fright and basically had no presence on stage. It was even common for him to tell all his jokes with his back to the audience.

I'm a bit late to the party but I saw Hedberg live with Dave Attell sometime in the early 2000s and I was going to a lot of comedy shows at the time. It's absolutely one of my favorite performances I saw and at the time he had no big "legend" status that I was aware of at all. He was incredibly fucking funny live, the whole combo. I'm sure he had technical issues so to speak but that's like dinging the Ramones for technically not being good musicians to me. 

I was supposed to see Carlin live as well but unfortunately didn't go, still kicking myself for that. My favorite standup gig ever though was Patrice O'Neal. 

Edit: Jesus christ, they're basically all dead I just realized. Depressing...

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Outside of the one statement of apology he put out, he hasn't really shown remorse at all. On his newest special he jokes about the incident and complains about how hard his life was hit after the allegations. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but not once does he actually feel bad for what he did. It's just a bunch of "woe is me" nonsense. I believe in forgiveness and redemption, but it needs to be earned in earnest.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Aziz Ansari seems like a much better example to use if you want to argue that someone was unfairly dragged through the mud. 

I don’t know what Aziz “deserves” but grown ass men don’t get excuses for, charitably, lousy penile etiquette. He got roasted and seems to have suffered no long lasting ill effects. But not daggering someone after they say they don’t want to fuck you seems like a very low bar to clear.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t know what Aziz “deserves” but grown ass men don’t get excuses for, charitably, lousy penile etiquette. He got roasted and seems to have suffered no long lasting ill effects. But not daggering someone after they say they don’t want to fuck you seems like a very low bar to clear.

But he did not in fact do penis in vagina to her.

MCEVERS: OK, just to set up this story a little bit more, Grace says that things got physical at Aziz Ansari's apartment after dinner. They kissed. He performed oral sex on her. He asked her to do the same. She briefly did. He was eager to have sex. She says she would try to move away from him and used, quote, "verbal and non-verbal cues" to show she was uncomfortable with the situation. Yet he kept trying. She eventually says she's going to call a car. He gets her an Uber, and she leaves. And she feels violated. And I just want to ask you both - and we'll start with Caitlin - what was your first reaction when you read this story?

FLANAGAN: I was really surprised that this piece had named this man, kept the accuser's name secret and then had really detailed a lot of actions that I didn't think at all qualified as sexual assault by almost any level. I think he did some dishonorable things. I think he did some things that, you know, if I was supposed to be the person in charge of approving or disapproving of what he did, I think there were some things he did that weren't nice. But it was so far away from any journalistic standard. I thought it was really shocking. And I thought, that's a terrible thing to do to somebody.

facebook-default-wide.jpg?s=1400
WWW.NPR.ORG

Babe.net published a woman's account of a date with comedian Aziz Ansari that she says turned into "the worst night" of her life. In conversation with NPR's Kelly McEvers, two writers — Caitlin Flanagan of The Atlantic and Anna North of Vox — discuss whether the story describes a bad date, sexual assault or something in between.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But he did not in fact do penis in vagina to her.

facebook-default-wide.jpg?s=1400
WWW.NPR.ORG

Babe.net published a woman's account of a date with comedian Aziz Ansari that she says turned into "the worst night" of her life. In conversation with NPR's Kelly McEvers, two writers — Caitlin Flanagan of The Atlantic and Anna North of Vox — discuss whether the story describes a bad date, sexual assault or something in between.

Deliberately poking a woman with your penis, even through clothes, is adjacent enough to sexual assault to “count” for me.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Deliberately poking a woman with your penis, even through clothes, is adjacent enough to sexual assault to “count” for me.

We should also take very seriously a person who is perpetuating the “false allegations ruin a man’s life” myth in the linked article itself 👀

Like I said in either this thread or another thread about cancellation in comedy, "cancel culture" is deeply exaggerated. There are very few high profile cases of cancellations where it actually sticks, and typically it's for the most extreme of cases like Weinstein. Most of the time, all you gotta do is take a year or two away from the spotlight and most people will have moved on.

4 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Like I said in either this thread or another thread about cancellation in comedy, "cancel culture" is deeply exaggerated. There are very few high profile cases of cancellations where it actually sticks, and typically it's for the most extreme of cases like Weinstein. Most of the time, all you gotta do is take a year or two away from the spotlight and most people will have moved on.

Let's also be clear that Weinstein wasn't "cancelled." :p

But yes, in general cancel culture for powerful men simply doesn't exist. CK just won a Grammy for joking about him committing sexual assault, Kanye won a Grammy for a song that featured Marilyn Manson.

If Weinstein wasn't in jail, he'd be making movies.

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Let's also be clear that Weinstein wasn't "cancelled." :p

But yes, in general cancel culture for powerful men simply doesn't exist. CK just won a Grammy for joking about him committing sexual assault, Kanye won a Grammy for a song that featured Marilyn Manson.

If Weinstein wasn't in jail, he'd be making movies.

Let’s not be pedantic and mansplain cancelation.

If you feel comfortable blocking the exit from a room and masturbating in front of unwilling viewers, I kinda assume you’ve done some other bad things 

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you feel comfortable blocking the exit from a room and masturbating in front of unwilling viewers, I kinda assume you’ve done some other bad things 

I’m sure he totally got the psychiatric help needed to help become the kind of person who wouldn’t do that gross shit too because he’s like so totally sorry.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m posting additional information about CK for those who haven’t come to that conclusion yet.

Look, I don't know about all of the shit about Louis C.K.'s manager threatening people into silence and whether that happened or not, or whether he abused his power or whether he didn't know he was abusing his power, I can just say that I'm assuming I'm probably the only person here that has had someone masturbate in front of them in a position where I wasn't exactly sure I could say "no." Not to say it's a 1:1 comparison because obviously nothing is, but like... I can see how, having been through it myself, it's not as evil as you think it is. Obviously I don't know Louis C.K., he could be a fucking monster for all I know, but judging from my own experience, saying Louis C.K. should never work again from what he did is just virtue signalling. He didn't rape anyone. He was just being a fucking creep while he was probably on drugs, and people went along with it because they were afraid to say 'no,' and his manager/PR team made sure everyone kept quiet. That is a far, fary cry from Harvey Weinstein.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

That is a far, fary cry from Harvey Weinstein.

Why is that the standard?!?! There are all sorts of things on the spectrum of sexual misconduct, and not rising to the level of serial rapists doesn’t absolve a person of the wrongs they did commit.

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Look, I don't know about all of the shit about Louis C.K.'s manager threatening people into silence and whether that happened or not, or whether he abused his power or whether he didn't know he was abusing his power, I can just say that I'm assuming I'm probably the only person here that has had someone masturbate in front of them in a position where I wasn't exactly sure I could say "no." Not to say it's a 1:1 comparison because obviously nothing is, but like... I can see how, having been through it myself, it's not as evil as you think it is. Obviously I don't know Louis C.K., he could be a fucking monster for all I know, but judging from my own experience, saying Louis C.K. should never work again from what he did is just virtue signalling. He didn't rape anyone. He was just being a fucking creep while he was probably on drugs, and people went along with it because they were afraid to say 'no,' and his manager/PR team made sure everyone kept quiet. That is a far, fary cry from Harvey Weinstein.

Bruh.

Bruh.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You think a boss shouldn't be fired for asking their coworkers if he can masturbate in front of them? And that it's virtual signaling to think otherwise? I just wanna make sure I understand you correctly here.