Star Trek 4 is finally a go

silentbob

I’m surprised this was missed but Star Trek 4 is finally happening. Full cast is set to return (well, minus 1) J.J. Is set to produce, with Matt Shakman (Wandavision) set to direct.

I still need to see Beyond myself but I have enjoyed the first 2, and nice news to get. My dad loved his Star Trek and tomorrow will mark 6 years since he passed. 

Star Trek Beyond was pretty solid but I felt like it should have been better. It's certainly much better than Star Trek Into Darkness, which was fucking awful. I do still enjoy Star Trek '09 pretty thoroughly despite how dumb it is and the many contrivances it has. But I won't believe this movie exists until I see a trailer given how long it's taken to get to this point.

Each of these movies is fun enough, but to me its still Star Trek light, with plenty of Doctor Who-esque "timey Whimey" explanations for plot progressing nonsense. They play out like an attraction park ride more than than something that feels at home in the ST universe. The ADD pacing and reliance on tons of actions sequences doesn't do it for me either.

/one old man's opinion

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Each of these movies is fun enough, but to me its still Star Trek light, with plenty of Doctor Who-esque "timey Whimey" explanations for plot progressing nonsense. They play out like an attraction park ride more than than something that feels at home in the ST universe. The ADD pacing and reliance on tons of actions sequences doesn't do it for me either.

/one old man's opinion

Hey man, I’m sitting right next to ya!

Laugh Laughing GIF

19 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Star Trek Beyond was pretty solid but I felt like it should have been better. It's certainly much better than Star Trek Into Darkness, which was fucking awful. I do still enjoy Star Trek '09 pretty thoroughly despite how dumb it is and the many contrivances it has. But I won't believe this movie exists until I see a trailer given how long it's taken to get to this point.

I felt like Beyond's issues were solidly in the realm of the typical tension between making good Trek and making a good movie. It's not impossible to make a good Trek movie, but it's just better suited in general to longer-form storytelling. Trek movies would probably work better along these lines:

Let's say we got Enterprise season 5 as planned and we also got an Enterprise movie. A good Enterprise movie could have been having a movie set midseason that shows a pivotal battle in the Earth-Romulan War. It lets them go in the action direction everyone seems to think Trek movies need to go in while still having had enough buildup (via the TV show) to have us already invested in the stakes of the movie, plus action stuff is usually gonna be better handled with a movie budget anyhow. Because that's one of the big problems with the Trek movies in general, if you're stuck dong a self-contained story then you don't have enough time to do the buildup to make the average Trek viewer care about the payoff.

Se also: Discovery season 1 trying to lead with a big PEW PEW FLEET BATTLE--whoever wrote that obviously didn't get that while Trekkies appreciate a cool payoff action sequence that the cool payoff action sequence isn't the thing they care about and it needs to, you know, actually be paying off buildup to it.

Like, Into Darkness and I'd argue 2009 too were written by people who obviously don't give a fuck about Trek, and Into Darkness in particular is just a bad movie period, not even specifically a bad Trek movie. Whereas the problems with Beyond are more along the lines of the problems with Insurrection, which at its core was a decent Trek story* but just didn't really work as a movie story.

*And Insurrection probably was in fact a dusted-off TNG two-parter script, given it even had one of the hallmarks of a TNG two-parter: a plodding first half followed by a rushed second half.

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Like, Into Darkness and I'd argue 2009 too were written by people who obviously don't give a fuck about Trek, and Into Darkness in particular is just a bad movie period, not even specifically a bad Trek movie. Whereas the problems with Beyond are more along the lines of the problems with Insurrection, which at its core was a decent Trek story* but just didn't really work as a movie story.

*And Insurrection probably was in fact a dusted-off TNG two-parter script, given it even had one of the hallmarks of a TNG two-parter: a plodding first half followed by a rushed second half.

Yeah I would agree with both of your posts. What's funny is Roberto Orci, one half of the writing duo who wrote the first two Star Trek movies, is a fan of Trek, hence why he tried to direct the third Star Trek movie despite no prior directing experience and why there's so many awful callbacks and fan service without grounded character context in Into Darkness. Go figure. :p 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I would agree with both of your posts. What's funny is Roberto Orci, one half of the writing duo who wrote the first two Star Trek movies, is a fan of Trek, hence why he tried to direct the third Star Trek movie despite no prior directing experience and why there's so many awful callbacks and fan service without grounded character context in Into Darkness. Go figure. :p 

Orci not understanding Trek is also a distinct possibility. :p

It's also amazing how many failsons presently permeate the entertainment industry that's all just riding JJ Abrams' own failson coattails. So also not a shocker that Abrams found some another schmuck who doesn't know how to write.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Orci not understanding Trek is also a distinct possibility. :p

It's also amazing how many failsons presently permeate the entertainment industry that's all just riding JJ Abrams' own failson coattails. So also not a shocker that Abrams found some another schmuck who doesn't know how to write.

All true, it's a damn shame.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So, about this...

STAR-TREK-BEYOND-Everett-H-2022.jpg?w=10
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Sources say that most, if not all, rep teams for the franchise’s primary talent were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a...

They gonna Radioactive Man Movie this thing together using the latest tech I take it

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

So, about this...

STAR-TREK-BEYOND-Everett-H-2022.jpg?w=10
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Sources say that most, if not all, rep teams for the franchise’s primary talent were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a...

That's bloody amazing! :lol:

Surely that gives the cast a better negotiating position!

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's bloody amazing! :lol:

Surely that gives the cast a better negotiating position!

People on the Star Trek subreddit think they may have gambled on going this route if they think they don't need to get the entire cast back to get people to see the movie. E.g. if Pine and Quinto ask for too much money then instead of saying no to them just save money by not bringing back people like Urban.