Breaking: Justice Breyer to retire

Joe

35 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

wtf?

Unless you're talking about local trends and moving to another part of Texas? The legislature and governor might be doing some crazy shit, but the state as a whole is getting much bluer compared to 10 and easily 20 years ago.

I said the states are getting redder and bluer on a legal level. There is some thought that this will eventually lead to partisan migration as conservatives leave more liberal states for more conservative states and vice versa. This is a very recent notion, and Covid in particular has been driving a lot of the narrative around the potential for partisan migration. Were that to actually occur, such things would structurally favor the GOP in the senate.

And anecdotally, yes, I’m seeing some of my liberal friends in Texas begin to look at moving to more liberal states in the face of laws like the abortion bounty hunter bill and the recent Governor’s directive on transgender children. Who knows if any will actually go through with it, but it seems pretty clear that people are taking state governance more seriously than they have in some time.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I said the states are getting redder and bluer on a legal level. There is some thought that this will eventually lead to partisan migration as conservatives leave more liberal states for more conservative states and vice versa. This is a very recent notion, and Covid in particular has been driving a lot of the narrative around the potential for partisan migration. Were that to actually occur, such things would structurally favor the GOP in the senate.

And anecdotally, yes, I’m seeing some of my liberal friends in Texas begin to look at moving to more liberal states in the face of laws like the abortion bounty hunter bill and the recent Governor’s directive on transgender children. Who knows if any will actually go through with it, but it seems pretty clear that people are taking state governance more seriously than they have in some time.

I HAVE heard of this, to be clear (not any research, simply anecdotal). But I'm really surprised considering how Texas has been trending for a decade. It's the migration and voter participation that's allowed Democrats to get the Senate seats in both Georgia and Arizona even though they were all in Republican hands just four years ago, so the ability to change that so the senate's rural bias is eased as more states are Democratic is powerful and important.

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I HAVE heard of this, to be clear (not any research, simply anecdotal). But I'm really surprised considering how Texas has been trending for a decade. It's the migration and voter participation that's allowed Democrats to get the Senate seats in both Georgia and Arizona even though they were all in Republican hands just four years ago, so the ability to change that so the senate's rural bias is eased as more states are Democratic is powerful and important.

For sure, and I would assume that the GOP getting more aggressive in the legislatures on cultural wedge issues is a direct response to the major urban and suburban areas in states like TX and GA shifting bluer electorally. Far too soon to know whether ratcheting up the partisan politics via state legislative actions will actually move the needle or not. Obviously there is much more to the calculus than just whether people are agreeable to the laws of the state, issues like jobs, housing, and even familial connections are very important.

The next 10 years of interstate migration will be truly fascinating

For myself, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no desire to live in a Red State ever again.  If it genuinely appears that VA is trending in that direction, then I'm outta here as I'd sooner end my own existence than continue to live here.

I just have no desire to breathe the same air as people who I've come to regard as my literal enemies.

• Ukraine 1

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For myself, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no desire to ever live in a Red State ever again.  If it genuinely appears that VA is trending in that direction, then I'm outta here as I'd sooner end my own existence than continue to live here.

I just have no desire to breathe the same air as people who I've come to regard as my literal enemies.

Va dems need to push to move state elections away from this off year shit. Given educational and racial polarization we’re still left of the nation but it doesn’t mean much if the main elections for state government are relatively low salience compared to federal elections. 

Living in a dark red part of a red state can be funky.  I was late for a date a couple years back because of the traffic around some Trump pick up truck convoy staging area was between me and the park where I was meeting her.  Of course she was firmly in the Yang gang then and dumped me a few months later, those two were unrelated.

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Living in a dark red part of a red state can be funky.  I was late for a date a couple years back because of the traffic around some Trump pick up truck convoy staging area was between me and the park where I was meeting her.  Of course she was firmly in the Yang gang then and dumped me a few months later, those two were unrelated.

She doesn't want to be with a Anti-Yangite.

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

She doesn't want to be with a Anti-Yangite.

The only Joe Rogan I've sat down and watched for any length of time longer than like 10 minutes since he was on News Radio was like an hour where he was interviewing Andrew Yang, because she sat me down and made me watch it.

On 3/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, sblfilms said:

This is actually a great thing if it happens because it's easier to avoid strife if people are geographically separated compared to urban/rural split (though that type of general split would still exist even in "purer" red and blue states). Let the red states just make their own country and descend into the third world like they want to.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is actually a great thing if it happens because it's easier to avoid strife if people are geographically separated compared to urban/rural split (though that type of general split would still exist even in "purer" red and blue states). Let the red states just make their own country and descend into the third world like they want to.

Partitions work and are good and fine just ask India and Pakistan 

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Partitions work and are good and fine just ask India and Pakistan 

Between fairly homogenous areas they work fine, which is what I am theoretically talking about. Certainly easier to have two separate entities that are more homogenous than a single entity that is split quite hard between urban and rural.