Breaking: Justice Breyer to retire

Joe

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

At this point replacing him doesn't really matter much, imo

Wrong.

Replacing RBG would have allowed the court to remain 5-4 to this day, even if it didn't net one on SCOTUS. And we don't know when someone will die suddenly like RBG, Scalia, or Rehnquist. Clarence Thomas to drop dead tomorrow for all we know.

Not being morbid, just sayin' that's the reality.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Agreed

The electorate largely doesn’t care about SCOTUS. If one side really does it is the GOP, who have been laser focused on bringing the court under their dominance. Not that the Dems can’t begin to make it a priority, but there has been no sense of urgency to do so.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The electorate largely doesn’t care about SCOTUS. If one side really does it is the GOP, who have been laser focused on bringing the court under their dominance. Not that the Dems can’t begin to make it a priority, but there has been no sense of urgency to do so.

It’s been made into a priority, which is why Biden had outpaced nearly all presidents in judicial appointments.

However, we may be reading too much into this. He’s not retiring until summer, so I took this as just having time to get someone since there isn’t technically a a vacancy for six months. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Lack of signaling from elites is a big part of it. This is changing however, as the approvals for scotus is tanking. There’s a reason why the conservatives keep giving speeches at nakedly partisan conservative events about how it’s a nonpartisan actor calling balls and strikes (despite this being some modern ahistorical bullshit). They’re trying to salvage their reputation while simultaneously giving nakedly partisan rulings under the guise of “this is the only logical way to interpret the law”. 

And once roe is trashed the salience of the court on the democratic side will become a bigger issue. 

conservatives have been mad at the court since the 50’s and they’ve been building/have built an apparatus for instituting their will through the courts since that time. We’re late to the party but there’s some good legal movement on the left to correct this. Though it may be too little too late. 

47 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It’s been made into a priority, which is why Biden had outpaced nearly all presidents in judicial appointments.

I don’t doubt that filling vacancies is priority for Biden, but I don’t believe it is an actual voting priority for the electorate. And for good reason. The actions of the court, no matter how substantive they are, feel pretty removed from the day to day of the average voter. General economic matters feel so direct and immediate that they do tend to move the needle is a major way. 

It could be though with the way elections continue to come down to a handful of votes in a handful of states that creating sustained vigor in the Democratic Party around the court issue could elevate it enough to push close contests in swing states in their direction. Just not sure the party has figured out how to push that button quite yet. We shall see.

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Wrong.

Replacing RBG would have allowed the court to remain 5-4 to this day, even if it didn't net one on SCOTUS. And we don't know when someone will die suddenly like RBG, Scalia, or Rehnquist. Clarence Thomas to drop dead tomorrow for all we know.

Not being morbid, just sayin' that's the reality.

RBG didn't die "suddenly". I think you save that term for someone who isn't already almost two decades past the average life expectancy. 

Her not retiring when Obama could replace her was a hell of a thing....

• True 1

I'm 100% in favor of putting a black woman on the court.... but doesn't it feel a little dumb to pre announce that you're only looking to put a black woman on the court?

Just say, I'm going to find a great judge, and then announce a black woman. Why even make the statement? It kind of belittles the whole thing in my mind and just gives the republican talking head ghouls a bunch of red meat to chew on for months.

11 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm 100% in favor of putting a black woman on the court.... but doesn't it feel a little dumb to pre announce that you're only going to put a black woman on the court?

Just say, I'm going to find a great judge, and then announce a black woman. Why even make the statement? It kind of belittles the whole thing in my mind and just gives the republican talking head ghouls s a bunch of red meat to chew on for months.

I was thinking the same. 

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Okay, Demut. 

O don't know what a demut is, but only a fool would think rgb shouldn't have retired when Obama could have replaced her with a young judge, instead of gifting the country a 6-3 staunchly conservative court. She bet on Hillary, and America lost. It was absurd. 

She was an incredible woman who worked incredibly hard, but that doesn't change the fact that saving the court was hinged on a 85+ year old woman surviving four years in the hopes trump lost.

But im sure ill get another nonsense one word answer.