Breaking: Justice Breyer to retire

Joe

43 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

O don't know what a demut is, but only a fool would think rgb shouldn't have retired when Obama could have replaced her with a young judge, instead of gifting the country a 6-3 staunchly conservative court. She bet on Hillary, and America lost. It was absurd. 

She was an incredible woman who worked incredibly hard, but that doesn't change the fact that saving the court was hinged on a 85+ year old woman surviving four years in the hopes trump lost.

But im sure ill get another nonsense one word answer.

lol, yes you know demut, but for fun:

Demut was someone who would argue and split hairs over every word and miss the forest for the trees.

Talking about how she didn't die 'suddenly' was Demut-like. It's clear I'm talking about someone dying out of nowhere instead of announcing retirement and then going through a process. No one but you is arguing about when she should have retired because we all know she should have retired in 2013. 

Her spot wouldn't have been filled if she retired in 2016 anyway.

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Diversity for its own sake is good

One of the main modern arguments against diversity is "only the best will do." You'll find this in recruitment/hiring, etc. The idea is that while you may get 100 applicants that are good for a job, you want the absolute best. But, that person is almost always going to be from the existing power structure—they will have had every advantage in their life, and they will have been prepared for the metrics of what makes a person the best. People who insist that the best person (in terms of traditionally defined metrics) should always be chosen for the job and ignoring all other positives (such as diversity, etc) are almost always from the in-group, and also are almost never the people themselves who would ever be a top candidate for any position. Kind of like how ignorant middle/low-income people don't want taxes to go up for the rich because they might be rich someday, even though they are being played. Diversity for the sake of it is a great thing, and you should never always hire the person at the top of the list just because they have the highest marks, most qualifications, etc. You should hire a person who will be great in the position but also brings other things to the role (ethics, culture, diversity, etc).

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

One of the main modern arguments against diversity is "only the best will do." You'll find this in recruitment/hiring, etc. The idea is that while you may get 100 applicants that are good for a job, you want the absolute best. But, that person is almost always going to be from the existing power structure—they will have had every advantage in their life, and they will have been prepared for the metrics of what a person the best. People who insist that the best person (in terms of traditionally defined metrics) should always be chosen for the job and ignoring all other positives (such as diversity, etc) are almost always from the in-group, and also are almost never the people themselves who would ever be a top candidate for any position. Kind of like how ignorant middle/low-income people don't want taxes to go up for the rich because they might be rich someday, even though they are being played. Diversity for the sake of it is a great thing, and you should never always hire the person at the top of the list just because they have the highest marks, most qualifications, etc. You should hire a person who will be great in the position but also brings other things to the role (ethics, culture, diversity, etc).

Yeah. And it’s a real shame the next justice is going to be a diverse hire that is a product of these elite institutions (Harvard Yale Stanford etc) instead of introducing some substantive (maybe not the best word for it but whatever) diversity in addition to demographic, social, and cultural diversity. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's decided:

211203215453-02-joe-biden-1203-super-tea
WWW.CNN.COM

President Joe Biden has reached a decision on his first nominee to the Supreme Court, people familiar with the selection said Thursday, with his historic selection of the first Black woman to serve on the nation's highest court set to be revealed as soon as Friday.

We may also know who it is:

Multiple sources have told CNN that Biden has met with at least three potential nominees. Those women are Ketanji Brown Jackson, who sits on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; Leondra Kruger, who sits on the California Supreme Court; and J. Michelle Childs, who sits on the US District Court for the District of South Carolina.

Earlier Thursday, a federal court increased the buzz around Jackson as the potential nominee.

The US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit deviated from its typical procedure by issuing an opinion on a Thursday -- breaking with its usual schedule of Tuesday and Friday as release days. Notably, Jackson was in the majority in the 2-1 ruling on the case.

Some legal experts took the release as a sign that Jackson could be the nominee and the announcement could come as soon as Friday, especially because a similar scenario had played out with now-Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Jackson was elevated to the DC Circuit last year by Biden, having previously served nearly a decade on DC's federal district court. She has long been viewed as the front-runner to replace retiring Justice Stephen Breyer, for whom she clerked. Her experience working as a DC public defender has been touted by her backers -- as Biden has sought to put more public defenders on the bench.

I've heard raves about Jackson, but I was kind of hoping for Kruger since she's in her 40s. Still, if she's as good as I've heard, I can't really complain.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson began courting senators on Capitol Hill Wednesday, making her case for confirmation in private meetings as Democrats worked to move her through the Senate within weeks.

She's meeting with Senators:

APNCLOE2JUI6ZGMHTXHO4YVD6Y.jpg&w=916

Republicans likely won't spend much energy opposing her. March 21st is the start of confirmations, which will last four days. She'll likely be confirmed shortly after that.

The GOP should vote overwhelmingly to put her on. It changes nothing about the political and ideological divide of the court, and they can tout how deferential they were to Biden on his nomination when it’s their turn next.

And people will fall for it. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

She’ll be confirmed with probably 57 votes. Best case. 

No doubt. I don’t expect we will see a SCOTUS confirmation with more than 60 votes again for decades. 

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No doubt. I don’t expect we will see a SCOTUS confirmation with more than 60 votes again for decades. 

On a bipartisan basis I agree. But I can see Rs getting 60 votes on their own given the rural/GOP bias of the senate. (Unless at some point we make states out of DC/PR/split CA and TX into multiple states each)

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

On a bipartisan basis I agree. But I can see Rs getting 60 votes on their own given the rural/GOP bias of the senate. (Unless at some point we make states out of DC/PR/split CA and TX into multiple states each)

This is true, especially if we see the oft touted partisan migration occur as Red states become redder and Blue states bluer with regard to the laws of the states. Anecdotal, but I’ve seen many of my left leaning Texan friends begin making plans to move elsewhere if certain trends continue. Could just be talk, but it is starting to *feel* more real to me

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is true, especially if we see the oft touted partisan migration occur as Red states become redder and Blue states bluer with regard to the laws of the states. Anecdotal, but I’ve seen many of my left leaning Texan friends begin making plans to move elsewhere if certain trends continue. Could just be talk, but it is starting to *feel* more real to me

Won’t really happen unless the housing markets elsewhere loosen up! Moving across country isn’t cheap or easy, believe me!

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Won’t really happen unless the housing markets elsewhere loosen up! Moving across country isn’t cheap or easy, believe me!

Indeed. When I see some of places these friends are interested in moving to, I’m like…your house is worth $300k and a significantly worse option in that city is $450k! And that’s just one piece of the puzzle.

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Indeed. When I see some of places these friends are interested in moving to, I’m like…your house is worth $300k and a significantly worse option in that city is $450k! And that’s just one piece of the puzzle.

And that’s people who own homes or can afford to buy them! To say nothing of people with kids in school or other local obligations or jobs

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The GOP should vote overwhelmingly to put her on. It changes nothing about the political and ideological divide of the court, and they can tout how deferential they were to Biden on his nomination when it’s their turn next.

And people will fall for it. 

Not like it would matter.

They held up Scalia's seat for a year after he died and faced no consequences. Nobody but political junkies remember how many votes these people receive.

They could all vote against Ketanji and it wouldn't actually matter to their argument when they're in charge.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

wtf?

Unless you're talking about local trends and moving to another part of Texas? The legislature and governor might be doing some crazy shit, but the state as a whole is getting much bluer compared to 10 and easily 20 years ago.