Do you and your spouse have separate bank accounts, and if so what is wrong with you?

It's worked extremely well for us for nearly 12 years of marriage. We have access to each other's accounts in case something were to happen to one of us. We split the mortgage, makes it easier, since he tends to pay more of the extra than I do. I pay some bills, he pays others. Nothing difficult about it. And we can spend what we want on ourselves without question.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

We have the bank accounts we had from before we were married, and then we have a joint account that we both put monthly expense stuff into. All our bills, mortgage, and other subs come out of that one automatically. 

This. I find it works smoothly. With a joint account, it typically leads to one person handling it. I want my wife to be an active partner in our finances. 

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

We have the bank accounts we had from before we were married, and then we have a joint account that we both put monthly expense stuff into. All our bills, mortgage, and other subs come out of that one automatically. 

This is what I anticipate doing once we are married. 

We have a shared bills account and then personal accounts on the side. We just dump our portion of all the bills in the shared account and then let autopay everything take care of it from there.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So what do you do guys do if somebody needs a surgery, hit the other person up with a Venmo request for their share? Or do you cover your own medical expenses?

We have a separate health saving account for medical expenses.

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So what do you do guys do if somebody needs a surgery, hit the other person up with a Venmo request for their share? Or do you cover your own medical expenses?

Insurance / HSA. It's cheaper for us to have separate insurance too. She has the kids on her plan and mine is essentially free because I get a credit for being vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Insurance / HSA. It's cheaper for us to have separate insurance too. She has the kids on her plan and mine is essentially free because I get a credit for being vaccinated.

Do you send her over some money to cover your portion of the kids premium?

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Most expenses gets paid out of the shared account. If there isn’t enough money to cover it, then we both contribute after discussing the split.   

We have separate health plans, credit cards, investment accounts, bank accounts, cell phone plans, and retirement accounts.  

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Most expenses gets paid out of the shared account. If there isn’t enough money to cover it, then we both contribute after discussing the split.   

We have separate health plans, credit cards, investment accounts, bank accounts, cell phone plans, and retirement accounts.  

heart attack GIF

I mean, whatever works for y’all. This is just incredibly foreign to me 😂

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

heart attack GIF

I mean, whatever works for y’all. This is just incredibly foreign to me 😂

Look at it this way: you got married young, so you and your wife joined your finances together at a time when each of you had more straightforward situations. Getting partnered or married later in life means a more complex puzzle.

For example, I’m trying to sort out whether or not my fiancé and I should file MFJ or MFS next year; if we do MFJ I can get the Lifetime Learning Credit since I’m in school, but then her student loan payments (all of which are income-based) will balloon. If we file MFS her student loan payments won’t balloon, but then I can’t claim the credit. That’s a particularly complex example, but in any case it highlights how tricky it can be. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

We have insurance bro. 

You don’t have any out of pocket costs though?

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Not all of us are the sole breadwinner in a multi-million dollar company. 

We had joint accounts even when Juanita was making $30k a year and I was making $18k back when we first got married! And my wife is actually 50/50 owner of our holding company with me too :p