The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Latest: Season 2 commences filming. Set catches fire.

TwinIon

6 hours ago, ort said:

I think they said at least 2 years.

They did say that, but I'm leaning towards them being "conservative" with their estimate.

I did enjoy that season finale very much (especially the Harfoot/Blue Wizard sequences!) though it did at least feel to me that the events were a bit "rushed". 

I do hope that is the last time I'll ever hear Galadriel respond to someone asking her a question with the identical question, except in a snarky tone :p

• Like 1

Loved it, what an absolutely perfect finish to an amazing show. I had goosebumps for the entire episode. Fuckers made me tear up twice. 

Spoiler

Yeah the Stranger is 10000% Gandalf(called it) after the follow your nose line. Which at first I was t sure if I wanted but as we built closer and closer to the reveal, there is absolutely no one else I want the stranger to be. 

The Harfoots from start to finish were the absolute best part and the heart and soul of the show. I love them getting a chance to show how brave they are. Fuck it, I hope Nori ends up being an ancestor of Sam. 

I think in my head(which is probably wrong) all the rings were made at the same time with elven help. I like the idea that through the seasons we’ll see Sauron trick each race into making their own rings. It’ll be cool to see how the rings for the Dwarves and Men are different since they actually had Sauron’s desired effect. Is it because the Elves made 3 instead of two that they never worked?

I wonder if we’ll get different actors for Sauron each season. Would be a cool way for him to trick each race. And then periodically we see him revert to his regular human form. 

All the little lines, the nods. They handled this IP so beautifully. Imo this is the pinnacle of High Fantasy in media. This is everything 12 year nerd me could have ever hoped for. I love this show so much and the wait for season two is going to be agonizing. 

• Halal 1

I think that the one salient lesson that can be taken away from this first season is:

Spoiler

Galadriel is the one true villain of the entire LotR saga as she is single-handedly responsible for practically every bad thing that happens going forward.

Thanks, Galadriel.  Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,

Every non-orc being in Middle-earth during the Second and Third Ages

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Pure nerd bliss.

From when I read The Hobbit in 6th grade to this show. I love high fantasy! 

There are so many things that they can do with this IP. Are there restrictions on what Amazon can make with their license? I wonder what they are. Melkor coming back for another show in an age in the future? Seems possible. 

Give me some more orcs and wizards damnit!

edit: Nevermind. It seems the license that Amazon got is limited. I would have to read more. One site claims that Amazon says they only have the rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Another site claims they have access to certain parts of other works. My guess is they have limited access to earlier material but the estate has veto power over every single thing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That finale was fantastic. My only gripe is

Hide contents

Sauron convincing Galadriel not to tell anyone who he is as she would be shamed/hated for bringing him there and saving him. Just, her falling for that is like… really? I dunno :p 

I also have a feeling that the show runners aren’t even 100% sure which wizard The Stranger is :lol: (but it’s leaning towards Gandalf from some of the lines at the end. They just don’t seem committed yet)

They really do treat Galadriel like an idiot. As much as I love this show, there is some terrible character development, with her as the main culprit. 

I'm not sure I completely agree with peoples' takes on Galadriel. She makes mistakes like all the characters do on the show. She's the first to figure out Halbrand is Sauron. She's the one to suggest forging three instead of two rings because she's prepping to fight him. Halbrand tricks everyone, including Celebrimbor and Elrond and Gil-Galad, not just Galadriel. If Galadriel were an aggressive, pushy, stubborn male character, we'd probably be praising how good this one character is keeping their eye on the ball to defeat Sauron, and we'd call their characterization "complex" because the character is imperfect and flawed. But while I agree there has been a moment or two where they've made Galadriel too stubborn or too thick-headed, her overall characterization makes sense.

People are finding ways to like Daemon on House of the Dragon but dislike Galadriel, who hasn't done any of the heinous things Daemon has on House of the Dragon, but he does cool shit and Galadriel sucks? Again, I do not understand. Galadriel did awesome horse riding shit and captured Adar. That to me is way cooler than beheading dudes from behind, crushing your own soldiers with your dragon, or wantonly accusing innocent civilians of crimes and then maiming or punishing them. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 5
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with peoples' takes on Galadriel. She makes mistakes like all the characters do on the show. She's the first to figure out Halbrand is Sauron. She's the one to suggest forging three instead of two rings because she's prepping to fight him. Halbrand tricks everyone, including Celebrimbor and Elrond and Gil-Galad, not just Galadriel. If Galadriel were an aggressive, pushy, stubborn male character, we'd probably be praising how good this one character is keeping their eye on the ball to defeat Sauron, and we'd call their characterization "complex" because the character is imperfect and flawed. But while I agree there has been a moment or two where they've made Galadriel too stubborn or too thick-headed, her overall characterization makes sense.

People are finding ways to like Daemon on House of the Dragon but dislike Galadriel, who hasn't done any of the heinous things Daemon has on House of the Dragon, but he does cool shit and Galadriel sucks? Again, I do not understand. Galadriel did awesome horse riding shit and captured Adar. That to me is way cooler than beheading dudes from behind, crushing your own soldiers with your dragon, or wantonly accusing innocent civilians of crimes and then maiming or punishing them. 

Yeah I'm generally with you on this. You can't put the fault of Sauron on Galadriel. Everyone is getting deceived by him, and will continue to be deceived  by him, while she figured it out and stayed true the entire time. To blame Galadriel is some serious victim blaming.

Yes, she's been overly stubborn at times. Boohoo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I'm generally with you on this. You can't put the fault of Sauron on Galadriel. Everyone is getting deceived by him, and will continue to be deceived  by him, while she figured it out and stayed true the entire time. To blame Galadriel is some serious victim blaming.

Yes, she's been overly stubborn at times. Boohoo.

Exactly. She got Numenor to ally with her and save the Southland humans (they didn't stop Adar's plan, but hey you still did some good when no one else was doing anything). She's the only one who knows Sauron is still out there and trying to stop him. But because she does all of this imperfectly, she's horrible? 

Elrond is a great character to me, but is he also as bad as Galadriel to others? He did his best but failed to get the Dwarves to help the Elves, and that's like his whole job. Guess he sucks too. One could argue they've made Elrond "likeable" and Galadriel "unlikeable" but I'd ask people first to check whether that's some innate response to the fact it's being exhibited in a female character (plenty on this board and elsewhere love plenty of unlikeable male characters) or if "unlikeable" means what we think it does in terms of characterization when the character is a male vs. a female.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Now that you mention it, the elves seem to be underperforming as a whole!

So are the dwarves and humanity. The weakness and corruptibility of man (in general, not the specific race in the world) is kind of a major theme of the story :p 

(And conversely, so is man's ability to rise above that frailty)

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, legend said:

So are the dwarves and humanity. The weakness and corruptibility of man (in general, not the specific race in the world) is kind of a major theme of the story :p 

Considering the position (both perceived and actual) that elves hold in this realm, their "underperformance" is probably far more consequential and damaging than that of the other two species (yes, I call them species, not races!)

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

100% this. Except the second paragraph. Both of them are cool. They need a crossover Daemon and Galadriel show. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering the assumed position that elves hold in this realm, their "underperformance" is probably far more consequential and damaging than that of the other two species (yes, I call them species, not races!)

The elves could just fuck off and leave middle earth to suffer if they want, but they're not and Sauron isn't going to have a harder time with them gone. In fact I'm pretty sure without the elves, Sauron wins. So I don't think this really means much. You're making an arbitrary standard to shit on them.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

The elves could just fuck off and leave middle earth to suffer if they want, but they're not and Sauron isn't going to have a harder time with them gone. In fact I'm pretty sure without the elves, Sauron wins. So I don't think this really means much. You're making an arbitrary standard to shit on them.

Huh? His post wasn’t “shitting” on the elves. He was stating that given the Elves strength and role as “protectors/saviors” of middle earth during this period in history, their missteps have greater consequence than those of the humans and dwarves during the same period. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Mercury33 said:

Huh? His post wasn’t “shitting” on the elves. He was stating that given the Elves strength and role as “protectors/saviors” of middle earth during this period in history, their missteps have greater consequence than those of the humans and dwarves during the same period. 

While this is absolutely correct, I will readily admit that I will take any opportunity given to engage in a bit of schadenfreude at eleven comeuppance!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It's still a weird judgement to be specifically disappointed in them and cast blame on them. Elves are not gods, nor angels, and in this world even the (analogous) angels are flawed. In fact, the central villain is one! Elves just live a long time and have been around for a while. If your take away is, "all these people fuck up at times," then yes, you've identified a major theme, one that's supposed to be reflective of the actual world, which is actually far worse than anything shown here.

• Like 1

More generally, the attitude of disparaging people trying to help because they didn't do well enough based on your arbitrary feeling of how great they should be while so many others are either ignoring the problem or actively burning the world down is a really weird take.

• Like 1

There is a central theme that Elves are deeply flawed, yet consider themselves superior to other races. In the canon, Elves initially hunted Dwarves for sport. They didn't pay any particular mind to Men until Finrod (or maybe it was one of the sons of Feanor) learned to speak with them. And the Elves play a part in basically everything bad that happens until the third age, when they are all but diminished.

• Sicko 1

For all intents and purposes, the elves are the "United States" of Middle-earth in terms of power and influence.

And much as a "mistake" by the US can have calamitous consequences in our world (relative to the identical action performed by another less-powerful political entity), the same goes for errors committed by the elves in theirs, even if those mistakes occur within a context of the best of intentions and actions.

Thus, I don't believe it unwarranted -- if not an absolute necessity! -- to hold such an entity to a "higher standard".  Is there a degree of arbitrariness in the applied standard?  Perhaps, but that is the way the world, both theirs and ours.

That is why I'm "singling out" the elves, rightly or wrongly!

...And also because they need to be taken down a peg or two!

The US does far more evil than anything we see of the elves in this show, so I'm not sure that justifies the same criticism. That is, for the US you can point out explicit horrible things they've (we've) done to make life worse and rightly criticize them for that. For what we see in the show, you can at most say the elves didn't respond as effectively as they could have or didn't counteract Sauron as ideally as we'd like. That's not really the same thing.

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

...And also because they need to be taken down a peg or two!

This is probably fair for some of them though :p 

• True 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, its a bit reductive to say "He does cool shit, Galadriel sucks. I honestly don't know why they need to be compared. I think RoP is a better show, either way. It has nothing to do with the cool shit, she's had the coolest scenes in the show. It's the secrets and hidden shit she keeps that bothers me. Hiding the truth about Sauron. I just don't like her character development so far, or like them less than others.

As far as Daemon, I'm not really a fan. Frankly, I like HotD less and less every week, especially since the actor switches for Alicent and and Rhaenyra. I'm not nearly as in love with it as the general public is. I dislike most of the main cast.

• Thanks 1

I gave up watching HotD 2 episodes ago (about to be 3 I guess!). Everyone just sucked so deeply. I found it hard to sympathize with anyone, and I just didn't care about the power struggle they were showing. Whenever an episode finished it made me feel lower than when I started, and not in an interesting introspective way.

Somehow though, I really love Succession, so go figure :p 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, its a bit reductive to say "He does cool shit, Galadriel sucks. I honestly don't know why they need to be compared. I think RoP is a better show, either way. It has nothing to do with the cool shit, she's had the coolest scenes in the show. It's the secrets and hidden shit she keeps that bothers me. Hiding the truth about Sauron. I just don't like her character development so far, or like them less than others.

As far as Daemon, I'm not really a fan. Frankly, I like HotD less and less every week, especially since the actor switches for Alicent and and Rhaenyra. I'm not nearly as in love with it as the general public is. I dislike most of the main cast.

I compared them because people in that thread were saying he was doing some cool things and then people in this thread say Galadriel sucks so that's why I make the comparison. Hiding the truth about Sauron makes sense - you don't want to sound the alert immediately to the same people who just tried to get rid of you by sending you to Valinor. I'm sure season 2 will have her telling people, but it's also important that Sauron not know who knows as well. There's potentially lots of reasons she withheld that information in the moment.

Separately, I'm enjoying House of the Dragon, but Daemon is pretty bad, even within the GoT universe.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I compared them because people in that thread were saying he was doing some cool things and then people in this thread say Galadriel sucks so that's why I make the comparison. Hiding the truth about Sauron makes sense - you don't want to sound the alert immediately to the same people who just tried to get rid of you by sending you to Valinor. I'm sure season 2 will have her telling people, but it's also important that Sauron not know who knows as well. There's potentially lots of reasons she withheld that information in the moment.

Separately, I'm enjoying House of the Dragon, but Daemon is pretty bad, even within the GoT universe.

But the reason they went with was "The other elves will think you're in line with me", which is the worst possible trope of all, and keeping it from them is the thing that will actually make them lose that trust. It feels lazy, imo.

As per the rights thing, my understanding is they have the rights to the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and the appendices, anything else they have to get permission from the Tolkien estate. Like when they mentioned the silmarils or say "Aule's beard" or whatever, I'm pretty sure those are only mentioned outside of those books. Same with using the map of Numenor, which is only found I believe in Unfinished Tales.