The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Latest: Season 2 commences filming. Set catches fire.

TwinIon

40 minutes ago, Brick said:

I get that part, and why the idiots are about Black elves and dwarves, but Adar is white, so I don't get why they'd be mad if he turned out to be Sauron after all. 

I think spork is saying it would be a deviation from the existing Tolkien lore and that would piss them off.

I know it’s a different age and all that, I mean, I thought they bought the rights to the story and characters from the books, but not the rights to make additional official entries into the film series itself. Like, it’s the same thing, but sorta not. They wouldn’t be allowed to use the same actors and props and designs and what not… but I guess they are. Saurons armor looks the same, so I guess this is a direct prequel to the films themselves. 

Anyway, whatevs… here’s an ad running on twitter teasing the Sauron reveal, cutting between different characters…

(possibly spoiler-ee, but an official ad so, yeah)

1 hour ago, ort said:

I know it’s a different age and all that, I mean, I thought they bought the rights to the story and characters from the books, but not the rights to make additional official entries into the film series itself. Like, it’s the same thing, but sorta not. They wouldn’t be allowed to use the same actors and props and designs and what not… but I guess they are. Saurons armor looks the same, so I guess this is a direct prequel to the films themselves. 

The TV show has the same rights to the Tolkien books as the movies did: The Hobbit, the LOTR trilogy, and the appendices. It's not that the show can't be connected or use the movies (the show can, to a degree), it's that the show can't use additional materials from additional books like The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. The TV show and the movies are bound to the same book rights. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

I get that part, and why the idiots are about Black elves and dwarves, but Adar is white, so I don't get why they'd be mad if he turned out to be Sauron after all. 

Or maybe I mixed up names and meant Arondir but you’re replying with games instead of real responses so I can’t clarify :p 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Or maybe I mixed up names and meant Arondir but you’re replying with games instead of real responses so I can’t clarify :p 

OK Arondir makes more sense, but what do you mean by your second part about me replying with games? 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

OK Arondir makes more sense, but what do you mean by your second part about me replying with games? 

“Games” came off aggressive and that wasn’t the intent of my reply; I was left to a guessing game as to what the confusion or issue with my joke post was about. :p 

10 hours ago, ort said:

Anyway, whatevs… here’s an ad running on twitter teasing the Sauron reveal, cutting between different characters…

(possibly spoiler-ee, but an official ad so, yeah)

At its most basic level, the hardcore Tolkien people are mad because none of this is canon. Then the racists are mad because they are racist. Some fall in both camps.

48 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What if Adar was correct (from a certain point of view) that he "split" Sauron? What if Sauron is actually multiple characters that will come together and form him? I still personally believe we haven't met him, yet, and that the whole Halbrand thing is a misdirect. 

It could definitely be the case that Adar, Halbrand, and The Stranger are "aspects" of Sauron that will come together to form the whole - think of it as a LotR version of the "Holy Trinity", in a manner of speaking.

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It could definitely be the case that Adar, Halbrand, and The Stranger are "aspects" of Sauron that will come together to form the whole - think of it as a LotR version of the "Holy Trinity", in a manner of speaking.

Another theory I like is that the cultists will find the Stranger and say something like "We know who you truly are...Lord Sauron!" but he won't be.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Another theory I like is that the cultists will find the Stranger and say something like "We know who you truly are...Lord Sauron!" but he won't be.

It would be FANTASTIC if after they say that, he looks at them with a puzzled look for a beat and then says his first "real" words of the series so far: 

"What the hell are you freaks talking about?!?!"

Also I'm surprised no one else in this thread mentioned that Galadriel's husband Celeborn is finally mentioned, and she says he's dead, so that's weird since he's very much alive and with Galadriel in LOTR (and appears in Jackson's movies, both Fellowship and Return of the King). Making us think that Celeborn and Isildur are dead is kind of a waste of time.

da6a04746829b16e9958f2be2ee58845.jpg

• Halal 2

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Also I'm surprised no one else in this thread mentioned that Galadriel's husband Celeborn is finally mentioned, and she says he's dead, so that's weird since he's very much alive and with Galadriel in LOTR (and appears in Jackson's movies, both Fellowship and Return of the King). Making us think that Celeborn and Isildur are dead is kind of a waste of time.

da6a04746829b16e9958f2be2ee58845.jpg

I agree, the whole "fake-out death" thing is already getting kind of old. We know Isildur isn't dead. We know Celeborn isn't dead. Bronwyn has already had like 3 fakeout deaths.

As for how Celeborn eventually fits into the story (I initially thought they would just omit him, but now that he's been brough up, I assume he'll show up), I wonder if he will take the place of Glorfindel in the story. My boy Glorfindel just can't seem to make it into an adaptation. He's got too much BDE, I think.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I agree, the whole "fake-out death" thing is already getting kind of old. We know Isildur isn't dead. We know Celeborn isn't dead. Bronwyn has already had like 3 fakeout deaths.

As for how Celeborn eventually fits into the story (I initially thought they would just omit him, but now that he's been brough up, I assume he'll show up), I wonder if he will take the place of Glorfindel in the story. My boy Glorfindel just can't seem to make it into an adaptation. He's got too much BDE, I think.

That fits in perfectly with the movies, which contain something like a dozen fake-out deaths.

• True 1

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

No, she said she hasn't SEEN Celeborn since he went to the last war. 

That's not how I took it, sort of. The words from the actual episode are:

Theo: Have you ever lost someone close? To them? Kin, I mean.

Galadriel: My brother. Finrod. And my husband. 

Theo: Your husband?

Galadriel: Celeborn was his name. 

. . .

Galadriel: The war seemed so very far away then. When he went to it, I chided him. His armor didn't fit properly. I called him a silver clam. I never saw him again after that.

It's pretty clear that Theo asks if you've "lost" someone to Sauron/orcs, meaning dead. She says her brother and her husband. It's true, she says she never saw him again after that, but clearly to her she thinks he's dead. To the audience, we know that dialogue is intentional and we know he isn't dead, but Galadriel clearly thinks he is.

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The show has stayed truer to the mythology than one would have thought. Sans screwing up the Durin the Deathless stuff and shrinking the timeline overall some, they've stayed pretty true to Tolkien's writings. I agree Glorfindel can't seem to catch a break, but I hope he's finally included here.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Well looks like all those people who theorized that Halbrand was actually secretly Sauron were right, but being someone who doesn't know the lore well, I never would have thought it, and hell probably wouldn't have even thought that anyone was Sauron, and that he was hiding in plain sight. Kind of a bummer in that way being part of the conversation online because it kind of took away the shock and surprise of the reveal. Maybe I should keep away from discussions of future shows like this with you guys until I've finished watching a full season. :/

Now that it's over I wonder if I can get my girlfriend to put aside her reservations and watch it. 

4 hours ago, Brick said:
  Hide contents

Well looks like all those people who theorized that Halbrand was actually secretly Sauron were right, but being someone who doesn't know the lore well, I never would have thought it, and hell probably wouldn't have even thought that anyone was Sauron, and that he was hiding in plain sight. Kind of a bummer in that way being part of the conversation online because it kind of took away the shock and surprise of the reveal. Maybe I should keep away from discussions of future shows like this with you guys until I've finished watching a full season. :/

Now that it's over I wonder if I can get my girlfriend to put aside her reservations and watch it. 

Totally fair. I'll try to put super nerdy lore stuff/predictions in spoilers more often.

Yeah, it was clearly Halbrand. I didn't see how any other possibility existed. I kind of wish they drug it out further and had him be a main character for a few seasons with none of the other heroes knowing his true intentions. Let the audience know, but not that characters. They couldn't have kept it a secret from the audience for long, so maybe it would be frustrating to watch. I don't know. Did they drop any deeper clues as to who the stranger/istari is? I have to assume it's Gandolf, but I kinda don't want it to be. Who were those weird cultists? They came from nowhere and just died? Kinda goofy.

Overall, I did enjoy this a lot, but it wasn't perfect. I thought it had some pacing issues, some writing issues and character issues. But yeah, overall, very good. Two thumbs up. Don't get the hate... I mean, the hate beyond the purists and racists. This show seems to have a lot of people who just think it's total garbage. Maybe a lot of them are just jumping on the "anti-woke" train and just trying to hurt the show by criticizing everything but it's multi-racial cast and strong female characters to try to sound more legitimate...

But after the Hobbit movies, this feels like a return to form. I know that this isn't perfect, but what are people honestly expecting? I don't get it.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

I loved it. Absolutely adored it. It was perfect. The reveals were done so well, to me. Lots of heartfelt and exciting moments. 

Waiting 1-2 years for the next season is going to be torture. 

I think they said at least 2 years.

That finale was fantastic. My only gripe is

Spoiler

Sauron convincing Galadriel not to tell anyone who he is as she would be shamed/hated for bringing him there and saving him. Just, her falling for that is like… really? I dunno :p 

I also have a feeling that the show runners aren’t even 100% sure which wizard The Stranger is :lol: (but it’s leaning towards Gandalf from some of the lines at the end. They just don’t seem committed yet)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That finale was fantastic. My only gripe is

Reveal hidden contents

I also have a feeling that the show runners aren’t even 100% sure which wizard The Stranger is :lol: (but it’s leaning towards Gandalf from some of the lines at the end. They just don’t seem committed yet)

Spoiler

I think Elrond at least has his suspicions. I don't mind it, honestly. Sauron is basically a master of illusion.

Also, after the "follow your nose" line, I'm pretty sure the Stranger is Gandalf. I have mixed feelings about that, but it's not like that's a deal breaker. I've kind of warmed up to the idea.