Just a friendly reminder that the US healthcare system remains a laughing stock among "wealthy" nations

7360.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

US spends 17% of GDP on healthcare but struggles with affordability and has the most administrative hurdles

The US is last on a ranking of healthcare systems among 11 of the wealthiest countries in the world, despite spending the highest percentage of its GDP on healthcare, according to a new report from the Commonwealth Fund.

The country struggles with deep problems in affordability of healthcare, which affects access and equity, and it is the country that has the most administrative hurdles when dealing with healthcare. This is despite the US spending 17% of its gross domestic product on healthcare, “far above” the other 10 countries, according to the report.

This is the actual report:

MM21_MainHdr_Reflections_SocialShare.png
WWW.COMMONWEALTHFUND.ORG

The United States trails far behind other high-income countries on measures of health care affordability, administrative efficiency, equity, and outcomes.

However, here's a bit of "American Exceptionalism" we can all be proud of!

The U.S. ranks #11 — last. Exhibit 2 shows the extent to which the U.S. is an outlier: its performance falls well below the average of the other countries and far below the two countries ranked directly above it, Switzerland and Canada. In fact, the U.S. is such an outlier that we have calculated the average performance based on the other 10 countries, excluding the U.S. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Just a friendly reminder that the US healthcare system remains a laughing stock among "wealthy" nations

I needed a biometric screening to avoid a health surcharge on my insurance for work. They said we can get it at cvs for free. When you get there to sign in you need to put in a debit or credit card before you can sign in to be seen.

america :flag:

I was complaining to my doctor about how much I had to spend to get a colonoscopy a few years ago (like $1,200) and we discussed the need for another one and he suggested I wait a bit for the one everyone is supposed to get when they are 45 because that one would be "free".

So, I have to pay if I'm trying to figure out the cause of actual problems, but my routine one is free? Isn't that the exact opposite of how insurance is supposed to work?

3 minutes ago, ort said:

I was complaining to my doctor about how much I had to spend to get a colonoscopy a few years ago (like $1,200) and we discussed the need for another one and he suggested I wait a bit for the one everyone is supposed to get when they are 45 because that one would be "free".

So, I have to pay if I'm trying to figure out the cause of actual problems, but my routine one is free? Isn't that the exact opposite of how insurance is supposed to work?

20 plus years ago my insurance would not cover my wifes contraceptive, it wasnt even expensive maybe 50 bucks every 3 months. My wife asked them

You wont cover the $50 but you will cover all the medications, doc visits , hospital bills, and the extra insurance for a new child for the next 20 years?

Yes!

21 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

20 plus years ago my insurance would not cover my wifes contraceptive, it wasnt even expensive maybe 50 bucks every 3 months. My wife asked them

You wont cover the $50 but you will cover all the medications, doc visits , hospital bills, and the extra insurance for a new child for the next 20 years?

Yes!

I remember awkwardly explaining several times when I worked in health insurance that they cover services related to the diagnosis of infertility but treatment of infertility is not covered.  It's a weird business.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

My favorite is a transport ambulance ride for my daughter where they did nothing except transport her 2.5 hours away, charged the insurance company 8k.

The city where one of my theaters is charges $5 a month on everybody’s water bill by default and ambulance service is free at time of use. It is bonkers what these companies charge.