The Last Duel: Ridley Scott goes medieval in 14th century France with Matt Damon/Adam Driver/Ben Affleck (15 October 2021)

Not only is it directed by Ridley Scott, it's written by Matt Damon, Ben Affleck (their first collaboration since writing Good Will Hunting together), and Nicole Holofcener (Walking and Talking, Lovely & Amazing, Please Give, Enough Said). Based on the book by Eric Jager. I'm definitely interested. 

• True 1

I like the fact that the trailer scenes seem to mainly use actual locations from what I can tell. Some of those exterior and interior shots are definitely on-location. It doesn't look overly exciting to me otherwise but I'll watch it I'm sure. 

Also it has Matt Damon with a mullet...sick. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

This was a very competent film though I'd be hard-pressed to find a specific area that stood out significantly other than Jodi Cormer's stellar performance for which she should be nominated for awards.

Of the other performances, Adam Driver's was the best (unsurprisingly) with Matt Damon's being "just fine".  I honestly have no idea why blonde Ben Affleck was in this film at all.

From a visual standpoint, the film falls into the trope that there were no colors in the world during the Middle Ages.  Yes, a significant portion of the film takes place during winter and therefore the sky will be grey, but that sure as hell doesn't mean that the colors have to washed out of every other season as well.

I really do hope that victims of sexual assault read the description of this film carefully before deciding to watch it because the depiction of the "event" is absolutely horrifying in every possible way.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, TheLeon said:

Ben Affleck is clearly having a blast, mostly because he’s in a completely different movie. Damon and Driver are all brooding and plotting, and Affleck is just living his best life: getting drunk and having orgies. 

I haven't seen the film yet but I heard his supporting performance in this is fantastic.

14 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen the film yet but I heard his supporting performance in this is fantastic.

Yeah, he rules, but I can understand why it doesn’t work for some people. It’s… anachronistic. There was some “snub” talk about him not getting nominated for The Way Back last year (good movie and good performance) but I would love to see him get recognition for this one instead. Although a lot of the awards season movies still haven’t come out yet, so I don’t know who else would be in the category. 

7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, he rules, but I can understand why it doesn’t work for some people. It’s… anachronistic. There was some “snub” talk about him not getting nominated for The Way Back last year (good movie and good performance) but I would love to see him get recognition for this one instead. Although a lot of the awards season movies still haven’t come out yet, so I don’t know who else would be in the category. 

Yes, I have heard it's very anachronistic, which I find interesting, we'll see heh.

• 8 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 2:44 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally got around to watching this tonight... AMAZING movie. Ridley Scott is a master filmmaker. No WONDER he was pissed this flopped... I would be too :p

It's incredible, but he had to know what would happen when he released it in the middle of pandemic, when vaccines were fairly new, and people were still worried about going out. 

Seems he should have held off on release (if he had any choice in it), because it truly is a great movie, and all three main performances were absolutely incredible. The actual story around the duel is very interesting too.

I do agree though, it's sad the way this movie died on the vine.

I honestly cannot conceive of any world where this film would be a commercial success.

The subject matter is just far too "heavy" and the setting far too niche.  I'm sure it would've performed better if the overall circumstances were different, but certainly not enough to be considered financially viable.

• True 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly cannot conceive of any world where this film would be a commercial success.

The subject matter is just far too "heavy" and the setting far too niche.  I'm sure it would've performed better if the overall circumstances were different, but certainly not enough to be considered financially viable.

It's an amazing film, but I agree. It's a very heavy film, though I wish more of the indie and arthouse crowds had shown up to theaters, but Covid really hampered even that. The Green Knight and The Northman, similarly.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

it should have at least gotten more awards recognition that would have boosted its' box office. If I remember correctly it was largely ignored by the Awards that year.