Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@stepee I need a sd card for emulation. 256gb good enough?

I thought you got a 1tb? But for emulation specifically, I’m already realizing it can get kinda big if you like having big collections even with older games. Especially once you start adding ps2/wii stuff or potentially even ps3/wiiu/switch etc. I’d go at least 400gb especially since that’s only like $50 anyway. 

I think my setup will be eventually using a 400gb that is just full of isos and maybe MAME and then other rom collections and currently seriously playing games can be on my main pc game sd card.

@HardAct 512gb here! The etched glass display is great and I’m very happy with my model pick even though it made me wait longer 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I thought you got a 1tb? But for emulation specifically, I’m already realizing it can get kinda big if you like having big collections even with older games. Especially once you start adding ps2/wii stuff or potentially even ps3/wiiu/switch etc. I’d go at least 400gb especially since that’s only like $50 anyway. 

I think my setup will be eventually using a 400gb that is just full of isos and maybe MAME and then other rom collections and currently seriously playing games can be on my main pc game sd card.

@HardAct 512gb here! The etched glass display is great and I’m very happy with my model pick even though it made me wait longer 

Yea 1TB is for windows and games. I have already maxed out the internal

storage for the deck. There are so many games I am eager to play on the deck. The other 1TB went to the Switch. I was thinking having a separate sd for emulation. 

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yea 1TB is for windows and games. I have already maxed out the internal

storage for the deck. There are so many games I am eager to play on the deck. The other 1TB went to the Switch. I was thinking having a separate sd for emulation. 

I’d put like snes, genesis, gba, cps1/2 (90s capcom), neogeo, system 16 (late 80s sega arcade), some stuff like that on the main so you don’t need to switch cards. You can get all that and some others if you just allow 10gb emulation on the main card.

Then ya just do like I plan to and use a 400gb for all the heavy emulation stuff.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

It’s actually only $43.99 so might as well get extra size.

edit: Hell, the 512gb model there is only $55, that’s the best $1 per gb I think.

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

One thing bothering me the most is it’s not letting me choose which drive I install to besides like one time for one game it actually let me decide? I never know where it’s installing to. 

It installs to your default drive which you can change under storage option

11 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

It installs to your default drive which you can change under storage option

Yeah I see now you have to just keep switching from the menu to designate, I guess that’s not the worst thing. Wish I could right click or smtn to say install to but whatever.

I tried to get ea desktop working so I could use game pass sub for EA games and it wasn’t working, I got it installed but the login screen wasn’t displaying right. I realized I could just not troubleshoot it by paying $5 for ea play on steam so did that instead.

I read people saying they got ea desktop going and I wonder if it’s been updated to no longer work to try to get you to get steam ea play. 

Anyway whatever got Madden portable fucking finally, even runs well off micro sd actually.

21 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Gaming performance of micro SD and SSD is the same, there's no discernible difference.

That’s good to hear, I haven’t tested it yet without downloading at the same time which makes it a little wonky.

First compatibility disappointment: Kingdom Hearts 3 was one I was hoping would work and it does not yet without more work than I want to put in.

I got the epic store running and confirmed working (so I can play the free games here now at least, Daemon Ex Machina sure looks a hell of a lot better than switch!) but this crashes at startup no matter what proton I use. I did google and see some people using some other wrapper thing called heroic and using scripts and doing all this stuff, and they got it working. But I’ll pass.

One thing I don’t want to do with this that I am prone to with open devices, is spend hours on trying to get the one game to work that doesn’t, instead of just playing the thousands of games that do instead. I’ll just add it along with game pass games for when dual boot hits. 

I’m finding so far more things work than don’t work, whether deck certified or not, so very impressed so far overall for compatibility. Just a few others I haven’t tried myself but Valve says don’t work yet I was disappointed in like Strive, SF5, Killer is Dead, one or two others.

EA is working good on EA Play Steam, Andromeda is gonna finally happen on here for me, looking forward to diving in to that one here. Looks incredible at high settings/40fps/800p. Now I have access to most games besides the gamepass stuff, kinda tempted to just buy Horizon 5 on Steam so I can have that on here. Wonder if it’ll be on the sale. That’s the main one I’m missing now.

Oh weird Dead Rising Off the Record just works fine now, idk mebe just crashed the first time I ran it. This looks so good actually running on deck at 60fps (still get 3.5 hours). Super jazzed for this one working. Man I would kill (literally) for a new Dead Rising for current gen that had the same atmosphere and vegas/mall/amusement park kind of location, or just expanding on this one oh man.

So has anyone gotten a chance to see etched glass vs non Steam Deck? It's in part why I have held on to my reservation.

Also Aya Neo is launching it infiegogo for the Air. I am tempted but I think a 6800u version is preferable due to the 1080p screen resolution.

I thought the new TMNT cross play meant all systems but it seems to be between Gamepass PC and XBox systems. Me and my friend wanted to play so he setup remote play from his house. The game runs like shit on my PC with lots “WTF” am I even moving. So we did 10 levels this way and then I asked if I could try it on the deck. At first the remote play actually played smoother then my PC play, but that could be the lower 720p setting. Then when I think it working, screen will freeze for 5-10secs, then smooth, freeze again, smooth and then just completely froze trying to replay the first level. Just thought I would let everyone know 

I was watching max play Super Puzzle Fighter and it gave me the itch to fire up Crystal Crisis on the Deck (it's like puzzle fighter) not verified but works well.

Also tried the cloud gaming thing, it played fine I guess but they really need to work on the picture quality because it looked like a low res streaming video.

I started Days Gone last night on Steam Deck and it’s pretty awesome having a game like this handheld. Looking foward to checking it out more!

I meant to post this in what are you playing but this works as well. But then yeah it’s performance is a solid 30 at high settings 800p. Looks really good like a proper next gen handheld title. 

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I know they said no one makes 7in oleds except for Nintendo but I'd probably buy a 7.1+in OLED handheld.

I find it hard to believe that it’s not something Valve could make happen. Maybe after the success here they can put in a larger order and get it to work.

Tried the Capcom Fighting Collection on the deck, and it runs well. You can even use the track pad to input special moves but I think that takes some getting used to. If you want portable Puzzle Fighter this is the way to go.

I want to figure out (remember) how to activate the back paddles because the control input options are just mapping moves to existing buttons not buttons to moves. Dumb.

EDIT: Figured it out, you just have to do it from the game page. :p

Played through some KOF15 last night, looks and runs fantastic on deck. Seems over 3 hours maxed (minus rt) at 800p/60. This thing is crazy for fighting games, makes me wish the dpad was better! Got USF4/SF5, Strive, KOF15, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 all loaded up along with every 2D capcom/snk arcade fighter. 

Oh yeah and @ManUtdRedDevils is right Spyro looks great on deck. And yeah you can pare it down to look more like the switch version and run it at 60 but I settled on high settings at 30 instead because it looks like a cg cartoon when the settings are pumped. 

I loaded it up on switch and honestly it looks good there too imo, considering the hardware at least, but you can see the generational improvement on deck. Which just means they did a great job on this remake and making it highly scalable.

edit: dragon pun at the end there?

• True 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, stepee said:

Played through some KOF15 last night, looks and runs fantastic on deck. Seems over 3 hours maxed (minus rt) at 800p/60. This thing is crazy for fighting games, makes me wish the dpad was better! Got USF4/SF5, Strive, KOF15, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 all loaded up along with every 2D capcom/snk arcade fighter. 

Can you use a controller?

It's mad hot. I'm just gonna see up Windows. So far it's better. No watermark. I ghink sincr I have a MS account they don't care where I install Windows. The wifi works out of the box now so I was able to log in. Also noticing that the controls work outside of steam.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

I guess you would need something to prop up the deck, but can you use a controller with it to play the fighting games?

I happened to have what I needed (xbox controller, usb c to usb c cable, deck) right next to each other so I tested this. It does work. Even works in the steam os menu, and works properly for single and two player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stepee said:

Holy crap RE3 looks stunning on the deck. Just all the detail and the great modeling work and RE Engine’s lighting and running at 60fps still, really stands out on the handheld screen.

That's fuckin dope. I'm really happy you're enjoying the deck because I know you love not only handhelds but new tech, too. 

• Halal 1

Ok there I got dolphin set up well now. Mario Galaxy 2 is always my first test because it’s both the hardest one to run and the one I want to actually play through the most. At first it was disappointing actually because it did not hold 60fps even at just 720p.

But then I read you need to install power tools and disable 5 of the threads, getting you the threads it’s actually using at about 3.4ghz instead of 2.1ghz. I did this and yep it fixed the issue! Now I was able to bump it up to 1080p with 2xmsaa and 16x af while holding 60. 

So yeah, I recommend that for dolphin: 

dd1a6306-8b8c-4039-abc6-8b8afabbd7bc
GITHUB.COM

A plugin loader for the Steam Deck. Contribute to SteamDeckHomebrew/PluginLoader development by creating an account on GitHub.

Do this and then you get a plug-in option in the steam os menu, you have to use touchscreen from there to go and browse to the power tools template and load it. Then you can see the 8 threads option when you load power tools and slide it to 3.

Also I mapped the trackpad so you press it to hit “b” which works great for shooting the stars and stuff in Galaxy 2!