Mario game sales for record-breaking $1.5m

Remarkableriots

Something about this feels fishy and makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.  I know this whole bullshit graded market was started by comic book collectors who inflated the hell out of comics looking for a new blood to go after, but this isn't a rare game, and given how well it sold, there are bound to be plenty of sealed copies sitting in boxes somewhere.  

While I'm really not concerned as to what these wealthy folks do with their money, when this bubble bursts, it's going to burst bad, and a lot of regular people are going to lose some serious money gambling on graded games.  The video game market is never going to become the comic book market.

8 minutes ago, vaxick said:

Something about this feels fishy and makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.  I know this whole bullshit graded market was started by comic book collectors who inflated the hell out of comics looking for a new blood to go after, but this isn't a rare game, and given how well it sold, there are bound to be plenty of sealed copies sitting in boxes somewhere.  

While I'm really not concerned as to what these wealthy folks do with their money, when this bubble bursts, it's going to burst bad, and a lot of regular people are going to lose some serious money gambling on graded games.  The video game market is never going to become the comic book market.

It's all that crypto new money.

11 hours ago, stepee said:

If Nintendo was smart they would stop making other games and just make new boxed copies of mario 64 and sell them for 1.5mil each.

Nintendo:

1.) Make new boxed copies of Super Mario 64 one at a time.

2.) Sell them for highest bid.

3.) ???

4.) PROFIT.

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I don’t see a difference between this and any other collectible, Wagner and Mantle cards just had a few decade head start. 

There’s what, < 2,000 Mantle rookie cards in existence? I don’t think this is the same thing at all. Time and scarcity drive the value of these things, and N64 games in general have neither.

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s what, < 2,000 Mantle rookie cards in existence? I don’t think this is the same thing at all. Time and scarcity drive the value of these things, and N64 games in general have neither.

The thing is, the number of brand-new, perfect condition, original run copies of N64 games is...unknown. Kids tore those boxes open and/or threw away the box. And probably manual. There is absolutely scarcity of these kind of N64 games. And obviously, time has happened too.

I don’t think people should be dropping this kind of cash on that kind of stuff...but I’m not in the habit of telling people what to do with their money. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

32 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

The thing is, the number of brand-new, perfect condition, original run copies of N64 games is...unknown. Kids tore those boxes open and/or threw away the box. And probably manual. There is absolutely scarcity of these kind of N64 games. And obviously, time has happened too.

I don’t think people should be dropping this kind of cash on that kind of stuff...but I’m not in the habit of telling people what to do with their money. 

Yeah, unopened and undamaged versions of these games are probably just as rare (if not more so, since unlike baseball cards their collectibility wasn’t the entire point). Then you get into the weird production quirks like the Zelda copy the other day, and the scarcity becomes even more pronounced. 

Will these hold their value as well as the rarest baseball cards? Hard to say because of the demographics involved, but from the standpoint of, ‘What constitutes a high-end collectible?’, I don’t see anything particularly crazy about this. 

It's interesting to see the collectible game market kind of blow up. I'm pretty sure I have a couple thousand dollars worth of old SNES and NES games. I know I have at least 10 that regularly sell for over $100 bucks. I was thinking of selling, and still might... but it might make sense to hold on to them if things keep trending this way.

I like having the real old games I used to enjoy, but I can emulate all of these and my SNES broke and I just don't know how much I really care about getting the true genuine experience. I think it's cool, but cash money is more cool for sure. Especially since I can play them all on my laptop.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Will these hold their value as well as the rarest baseball cards? Hard to say because of the demographics involved, but from the standpoint of, ‘What constitutes a high-end collectible?’, I don’t see anything particularly crazy about this. 

The price tag is objectively crazy. I appreciate it being in great condition and sealed makes it rare, but $1.3M for an N64 cart is ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The price tag is objectively crazy. I appreciate it being in great condition and sealed makes it rare, but $1.3M for an N64 cart is ludicrous.

A JPG of Disaster Girl went for $500k, so $1.5m for a perfect condition Mario 64 seems fairly quaint.

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think one of these negates the other, but in general yes, I agree.

The collectors market as a whole is all out of whack thanks to the nouveau riche crypto millennials. At least this purchase make me bash my head in less than the, like, the $2.9m paid to "own" Jack Dorsey's first tweet. Even then, that one makes me want to stick my head in a wood chipper less than this...

Yeah, that's $1.5m for a randomly generated ape wearing a hat.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ort said:

It's interesting to see the collectible game market kind of blow up. I'm pretty sure I have a couple thousand dollars worth of old SNES and NES games. I know I have at least 10 that regularly sell for over $100 bucks. I was thinking of selling, and still might... but it might make sense to hold on to them if things keep trending this way.

I like having the real old games I used to enjoy, but I can emulate all of these and my SNES broke and I just don't know how much I really care about getting the true genuine experience. I think it's cool, but cash money is more cool for sure. Especially since I can play them all on my laptop.

You should look the prices of those games up on eBay, a lot of games in the past year or so have seen drastic spikes in their value due to these happenings and people inflating prices online.  Earthbound for example has shot up to almost $400 now despite the fact it wasn't long ago that you could easily find a copy for around $130.  It's becoming a frustrating market to purchase old games in now that everybody is listing games at absurd asking prices and people are following their lead.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, vaxick said:

Not sure. Is Money laundering a possible answer?

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

Not sure. Is Money laundering a possible answer?

This just came out today and it does seem a little bit convenient given the timing.

Graphic.jpg
WWW.BUSINESSWIRE.COM

Collectors Universe, a leading provider of value-added authentication and grading services, announces it is expanding into the collectible video game