Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update: "PC optimised settings and graphics comparison vs PS5" (Digital Foundry)

SaysWho?

Just by watching the trailer I feel like I've already played the entire game in my head, but it still looks like it could be fun.

Interesting that we're getting a full game before any of the movie sequels that have been in development for the last 27 years.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think if one of the sequels actually came out I could get into this more. it’s hard to get excited to get lost in this world when I only got to see it like the two times. 

And if you go back and watch the original movie, it really isn't very good.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

If any of that was in-game footage that was impressive.

In-game?  No.  In-engine?  I believe it.  Character lighting looks pretty flat at times, some of the foliage is pretty simplistic up close, there’s lighting artifacts, etc.  It’s not bad looking, but I think Horizon 2’s gameplay demonstration was more impressive visually, even outside of cinematic trailer cuts.

As for the game, my mind keeps going back to Ubi’s King Kong game for some reason.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PlayStation 5, Windows PC, Xbox Series X, Stadia, and Luna) - update: delayed to 2023-24
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PlayStation 5, Windows PC, Xbox Series X, Stadia, and Luna) - update: delayed to Fiscal Year 2023 (March 2023 to April 2024)
19 hours ago, crispy4000 said:
0b3d5bc9d187dbf25716e3cc72d932ae.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

The publisher is pinning its hopes on new mobile games and Assassin’s Creed

While Ubisoft is certainly the undisputed industry leader for illustrating the dangers of corporate bloat and abysmal management, I have to imagine that similar discussions are happening at other major publishers such as EA who haven't had a major hit in years.  

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While Ubisoft is certainly the undisputed industry leader for illustrating the dangers of corporate bloat and abysmal management, I have to imagine that similar discussions are happening at other major publishers such as EA who haven't had a major hit in years.  

Let's just call it the dangers of bloat in general.  Because that's modern Ubisoft game design in a nutshell.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Let's just call it the dangers of bloat in general.  Because that's modern Ubisoft game design in a nutshell.

Shamelessly stolen from ResetERA:

Ubisoft: 20,000 employees - $2.6 billion revenue
Activision-Blizzard: 10,000 employees - $8.8 billion revenue
EA: 13,000 employees - $6.5 billion revenue

Granted, both Activision-Blizzard and EA have continuing live-service revenue streams (CoD/WoW for AB, FIFA/Madden for EA) that Ubisoft lacks, but still...

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Granted, both Activision-Blizzard and EA have continuing live-service revenue streams (CoD/WoW for AB, FIFA/Madden for EA) that Ubisoft lacks, but still...

I like that Ubi is willing to have these massive workforces really, theoretically it’s a good thing and should help with employers being overworked and with polishing their games up etc. But instead the worlds just get more and more massive. Keep the employees, downscale scope, get stuff shipped out.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Wow, I wouldn't have expected the gap to be so big. I suppose that's a big reason that Ubi will be pushing their new live service AC game.

• 10 months later...

It is this year damn. I’m definitely going to need to figure out getting 3D working on pc games with the rokid by the time this comes out. Hopefully this will just have native 3D in options though, their Avatar game for the first movie had it!

Looks nice, but not quite up to par with Outlaws. I feel like the primary thing the trailer sold was "experience Pandora in a game" while the gameplay looked pretty generic. That will be enough for some, but I'm not very optimistic. I do like the idea of story co-op though.

9 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Looks nice, but not quite up to par with Outlaws. I feel like the primary thing the trailer sold was "experience Pandora in a game" while the gameplay looked pretty generic. That will be enough for some, but I'm not very optimistic. I do like the idea of story co-op though.

I've yet to see the movies, but I think a vibrant FPS like this that doesn't look too garish could get me to try it regardless.

Also, more flying combat the better.  Same goes for Star Wars from them.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Luna, 07 December 2023) - update: Ubisoft Forward 2023 trailers posted
3_ZGLixNn.jpg?width=1200&height=600&fit=
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Ubisoft Massive discusses its James Cameron movie adaptation Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, an open world first-person action game similar to Far Cry.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora has finally appeared in the wild, and much the same as with Star Wars: Outlaws, Ubisoft's other big new open world game based on a big fantasy movie licence, we saw it in a bit more detail behind closed doors over in Los Angeles - and spoke with the game's creative director, Magnus Jansén.

At first glance, much of this gameplay reveal is what you'd expect from a Ubisoft Massive (and co.) take on an action movie licence: it's open world, it's action-adventure, it's got bows and arrows and assault rifles, outposts, wildlife, resource collecting, crafting and customisation. It's in a nice sunny, broadly exotic jungle. It's Far Cry, in a lot of ways - but there is one twist.

Frontiers of Pandora is trying to make its design feel a bit more "sustainable", as Jansén put it to us. Typically, games like Far Cry and its design cousins tend to feel, for lack of a better word, a little colonial: you turn up in a new place, and you go around harvesting as much as you can from that place - animal hides, plants, natural resources - until you've built up enough brute strength. It's a gameplay loop that sits in direct opposition to the ideals of James Cameron and his Avatar franchise - with its ultra-militarised humans rocking up on idyllic Pandora and burning it to the ground in search of Unobtainium and magic space ambergris. Environmentalism, naturalism, and generally not just rocking up somewhere to harvest as much of its naturally occurring stuff as you can for your own benefit is kind of the central message.

• 3 months later...