Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Stream with 6 game announcements including DQXII

Brian

A remake of DQ3 specifically is random but very cool. I'm sure a lot of people are hype for DQ12. I think the most interesting announcement is an offline version of DQ10 (too bad they are changing the offline version into super deformed art style for the graphics). The West could really use that release - drop it on PC you cowards.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Do you mean a new one or the original one on the 3DS from 2015 that never released outside of Japan?

I was asking for a new one, since I figured the 3DS is never gonna make it out of Japan. 

Or heck, I’d take an HD remake of it for Switch!

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I was asking for a new one, since I figured the 3DS is never gonna make it out of Japan. 

Or heck, I’d take an HD remake of it for Switch!

Yeah, I wouldn't expect another entry, and I highly doubt they'll go back and localize the original. Your best bet is to find a fan translated ROM and emulate it. It's mostly music anyway, maybe you don't even need it translated. :p 

But yeah, it'd be nice if they brought it over given this slew of announcements! It's odd, the random games here and there in the Dragon Quest series that Square Enix chooses not to localize. 

• Like 1

Will it launch with orchestral music this time or will we get that fucking awful midi trash of XI? And even when it was orchestral it was bad. They need to let Soken do a DQ soundtrack, the DQ dude seems to have lost his touch.

8 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Question - how good is the Dragon Quest game on the Switch? I’m kind of feeling a JRPG and either want to pick up the FFX hd bundle, this or maybe something else. Looking for feedback.

I couldn't get through it. The characters were not especially compelling, and feels like a massive grind fest. But apparently lots of people like it?

9 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Question - how good is the Dragon Quest game on the Switch? I’m kind of feeling a JRPG and either want to pick up the FFX hd bundle, this or maybe something else. Looking for feedback.

It’s one of the best traditional JRPGs out there. 

YMMV as to how much you like the genre. 

11 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

You mean XI? 

If you like JRPGs from the mid-90s to early 2000s - or say you like DQ8, you’ll adore the game. It is about as tradition as it gets, lots of side stuff to do and end game content, good characters, decent story. 

Man it’s good. 

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Will it launch with orchestral music this time or will we get that fucking awful midi trash of XI? And even when it was orchestral it was bad. They need to let Soken do a DQ soundtrack, the DQ dude seems to have lost his touch.

Same question for me, too. I loved and beat XI but the music was awful. If XII is utilizing unreal 5 and has true beautiful orchestrated music it will be truly amazing. 

15 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

The two JRPGs that I have enjoyed in recent memory has been DQXI and Persona 5. I played DQXI on PS4 so I can’t comment on the switch version but it’s a great classic JRPG type game. I like FFX as well. I prefer those two over Brave Default II, Octopath, and Xenoblade I & II. 

Just note that the Definitive Edition of DQXI for PC/PS4/XB1 is broken. It is based off of the Definitive Edition for Switch version, which has worse resolution/graphics than the original DQXI release which only released for PC/PS4 in the West, which had much better graphics/resolution. Last I checked, they delisted the original version of DQXI from both the PC and PS4 stores.

Was that issue ever resolved? 

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just note that the Definitive Edition of DQXI for PC/PS4/XB1 is broken. It is based off of the Definitive Edition for Switch version, which has worse resolution/graphics than the original DQXI release which only released for PC/PS4 in the West, which had much better graphics/resolution. Last I checked, they delisted the original version of DQXI from both the PC and PS4 stores.

Was that issue ever resolved? 

I don't believe so, which is criminal. On PC you can mess with many of the ini parameters to address many of the deficiencies though!

header.jpg?t=1622131694
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

I'm new to the DQ series and I just played the demo for a couple of hours. I really like the artstyle of this game and the intro cinematic looked absolutely amazing, but something about the ingame graphics looks a bit....console-ish? There seems to be barely any anti-aliasing, especially in the distance (or is something wrong with the resolution? idk) and there are no shadows on stuff like grass etc. Is there a way to fix this? Or is it just because it's a...

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I don't believe so, which is criminal. On PC you can mess with many of the ini parameters to address many of the deficiencies though!

header.jpg?t=1622131694
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

I'm new to the DQ series and I just played the demo for a couple of hours. I really like the artstyle of this game and the intro cinematic looked absolutely amazing, but something about the ingame graphics looks a bit....console-ish? There seems to be barely any anti-aliasing, especially in the distance (or is something wrong with the resolution? idk) and there are no shadows on stuff like grass etc. Is there a way to fix...

Yeah but that is some serious weaksauce. The original DQXI released in Japan on 3DS and PS4 only. We got an international release based on the PS4 version for PC and PS4. That version is superior than the Definitive Edition Switch version in every way except content additions. The fact they based every version on the Switch version is crazy.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah but that is some serious weaksauce. The original DQXI released in Japan on 3DS and PS4 only. We got an international release based on the PS4 version for PC and PS4. That version is superior than the Definitive Edition Switch version in every way except content additions. The fact they based every version on the Switch version is crazy.

Square might be the most Nintendo like company outside of nintendo. They’re sitting on a goldmine of content from years past and they don’t understand how to use it. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2021 at 2:23 AM, gamer.tv said:

Long as fuck, but good as fuck. Honestly, I did start to get a little tired of it, but finished everything. The friggin' 'post-game' felt almost as long as the actual game.

Edit: Didn't realize how old this was lol