Rumor: Valve working on handheld Steam console

Brian

Why can't I just get a nice 7-10" Android tablet with built in controls for game streaming? Everyone's been trying to cram a full PC into a tablet and come up with a Switch competitor, but is there really no market for a dedicated handheld streamer with a nice screen?

54 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Why can't I just get a nice 7-10" Android tablet with built in controls for game streaming? Everyone's been trying to cram a full PC into a tablet and come up with a Switch competitor, but is there really no market for a dedicated handheld streamer with a nice screen?

This is kind of how I feel as well.  Switch games have the benefit of being optimized, sometimes even to crazy extremes.  The last thing I want to do with a handheld is tweak settings just to make a game run okay.  Once its a little outdated, I'd trust it even less.

Valve also isn't going to be making exclusives for this thing.

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This is kind of how I feel as well.  Switch games have the benefit of being optomized for it in specific.  The last thing I want to do with a handheld is tweak settings just to make a game run okay.  Once its a little outdated, I'd trust it even less.

Valve also isn't going to be making exclusives for this thing.

I remember years ago Archos had exactly what I wanted long before the Switch was even a thing.

Look at that grin back in 2013. I want that, but like newer and actually capable of streaming modern games. Microsoft recently showed this off...

xboxsurfaceduo_1.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Xbox Touch Controls shine on the Surface Duo.

No...and I HAVE a Surface Duo, but still no.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Man, I don’t get it either. I’ve looked so much for something like it and all the android tablet/phone stuff you can try to use is either just super expensive or trash.

I just decided to not sell my iphone XS Max (i have a new phone) and just keep that attached to my kishi as my streaming/emulation device. It looked like I would only get $300ish and at least I get a good screen with this.

What I can’t believe is that with streaming taking off more that nobody can just release a switch lite like device exactly with a bigger 1080p screen with a decent snapdragon in it for $200-$250. I feel like that would sell but it doesn’t exist.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Dear Nvidia, give us a new DLSS enabled Shield tablet with the option for switch like physical controls! 

It would have to be x86 not one of nvidias arm based chips right or it would have to have everything ported?

The problem with a portable PC is that its generally antithetical to how PC gaming works for most. They are often high priced, low spec, fixed hardware devices. they're niche devices that sell to a select crowd. Now, if streaming services become better and cheaper, then its game on with devices of this nature for the masses! 

Yeah, I don't have any interest in something like this.

I would expect the hardware to either be expensive or under powered, likely both. If they could somehow put out a decent gadget for a reasonable price, you still have the problem that anyone that currently plays PC games probably has a much better way to play them. Thankfully, many PC games are now optimized for a controller, but many PC games are not optimized for a small screen.

When I'm home (which is by far the place I play most games), if I really do want to play a game away from my PC, I'm probably better off streaming games to my iPad. Doing that I get a really high quality screen, get to use a full sized controller, and can have the graphics pumped up to the max.

For me this would only potentially be worthwhile when I'm traveling, when I'm probably better off playing a native iPad game or using the switch.

I feel like they'll drop support for it, or just let it languish. Much like the steam controller (which I otherwise liked a lot)

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wonder if you can setup streaming on a Raspberry Pi. Plenty of people have built switch-like Pis. If there's a good streaming software solution then that might work? I think Steam itself supports PC to PC streaming already. Not sure it works on a Pi though.

This seems to suggest it's possible (except replace TV with some other small form factor screen for the Pi):

02usbHJm1OfuG37U7zz0lUb-1.1571102408.fit
WWW.PCMAG.COM

Valve may have discontinued the hardware, but you can still can use the Steam Link app on your Raspberry Pi system to stream games to your TV or anywhere else.

I mean, if all you want is strictly a streaming device that’s pretty easy. Just get any phone at a good deal on Amazon with a 1080p screen for like $100-$150 and razer kishi for $64 or whatever and just keep them attached.

Like this https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Smartphone-Triple-Camera-Nightfall/dp/B07VB5LDD1?ref_=ast_sto_dp would be more than fine for all the streaming services and some retro gaming like up to psp level.

My thing was I wanted a device that can handle decent emulation as well and you don’t get a decent processor unless you pay more than a device like this is worth. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

I feel like they'll drop support for it, or just let it languish. Much like the steam controller (which I otherwise liked a lot)

I wonder if you can setup streaming on a Raspberry Pi. Plenty of people have built switch-like Pis. If there's a good streaming software solution then that might work? I think Steam itself supports PC to PC streaming already. Not sure it works on a Pi though.

This seems to suggest it's possible (except replace TV with some other small form factor screen for the Pi):

02usbHJm1OfuG37U7zz0lUb-1.1571102408.fit
WWW.PCMAG.COM

Valve may have discontinued the hardware, but you can still can use the Steam Link app on your Raspberry Pi system to stream games to your TV or anywhere else.

You absolutely can stream to a Pi. I have a few devices I can stream to; the most unfortunate of which being the Chromecast TV that doesn't seem powerful enough to handle the 4k stream even with a wired Ethernet connection. I have streamed game to my laptop for those times I don't want to be tied at my PC. However, I want a tablet. I have a Kishi and a Galaxy S21 Ultra. Games stream perfectly to it, but I want a bigger screen and something sturdier than the wobbly Kishi.

• Like 1