Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

Just now, brucoe said:

Part of me is thinking I need a new video card to successfully enjoy this game. I never thought I would say that about playing a game on my Nvidia 3080.

This, playing on my game room computer (7950X3D 64GB RAM RTX4090) is a great experience (Right near 100fps with no fsr or anything. If I go to my living room and play on that PC (5950X 64GB RAM RTX3080) things are just bad, per DLSS mod installed it would dip below 30fps like crazy (with fsr on), post DLSS it stays in the 30-high 40 range. 

10 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Part of me is thinking I need a new video card to successfully enjoy this game. I never thought I would say that about playing a game on my Nvidia 3080.

My 3090 runs it great in 1440p. 

5 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

This, playing on my game room computer (7950X3D 64GB RAM RTX4090) is a great experience (Right near 100fps with no fsr or anything. If I go to my living room and play on that PC (5950X 64GB RAM RTX3080) things are just bad, per DLSS mod installed it would dip below 30fps like crazy (with fsr on), post DLSS it stays in the 30-high 40 range. 

Never saw anything like that here. I turned FSR off right away and it has been doing great. 

20 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Is anyone playing on steam deck? I know it runs like shit in cities but do you feel like it runs well enough everywhere else to be an enjoyable experience?

Perhaps this article could be of assistance?

Starfield-Steam-Deck-Adoring-Fan.jpg?wid
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We explore how Starfield runs on the Steam Deck, and the finding aren't good - even with all-Low settings to boost perf…

11 minutes ago, Ominous said:

My 3090 runs it great in 1440p. 

Never saw anything like that here. I turned FSR off right away and it has been doing great. 

Your extra vram may be helping you here along with a 15% or so perc boost vs a 3080 if the game is vram heavy (i’m not sure) but also he might be running at 4k so if you double his numbers for rendering half the pixels, then it would be fine.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s going to be the second best 9/11 EVER

Damn fucking right it is!!! Thanks so much bro. I just downloaded the Xbox app and recovered my password and got all my shit from when I was a 360 fan boi. Let’s gooooooooo! Still got the name make me stop

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Your extra vram may be helping you here along with a 15% or so perc boost vs a 3080 if the game is vram heavy (i’m not sure) but also he might be running at 4k so if you double his numbers for rendering half the pixels, then it would be fine.

Benchmarks don't having NVIDIA cards doing all that well in general with starfield, like with all new releases probably best to wait for some patches and driver updates.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

Yeah, and I’ve got a 3070ti. You wouldn’t think it to look at it, but this game seems to humbling PC specs you normally wouldn’t expect. 

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

the benchmarks I’m seeing for the 7950X3D on this game are not encouraging. That’s probably hurting you more than anything. For some reason AMD CPUs are not performing how they should. I keep seeing benchmarks where the i7-13700k out performs a 7800X3D. Which seems odd for an “AMD exclusive sponsored game”. You might need to drop it to 1440P. 

I just realized that is with your 4090 and you’re doing fine. It still could and should be better with a 4090, but that’s not the in giving trouble. Yeah it’s weird to think a system with. 3080 needs to run at 1440 or even 1080, but it might. CPUs are getting killed. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’s going to be the second best 9/11 EVER

never forget. 

On 9/6/2023 at 1:52 AM, Spork3245 said:

NVidia GPU users: force ReBAR on with nVidia Profile Inspector until nVidia adds support (they do ReBAR via driver whitelists). The performance boost is not insignificant;

BTW I did this last night and I’m not sure it’s an improvement everywhere. It seems like I’m getting more fps in some places, but then seeing no improvement in others. It feels more stable, but still drops just under 60fps in major hubs. It seems to be more localized when it does dip vs just “most places”. It does feel a bit smoother when it dips too. But really it feels like anywhere I was already at or above 60fps I’m now seeing more gains. 

but yeah, a bump for anyone that missed it before. 

• Hype 1

46 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, and I’ve got a 3070ti. You wouldn’t think it to look at it, but this game seems to humbling PC specs you normally wouldn’t expect. 

the benchmarks I’m seeing for the 7950X3D on this game are not encouraging. That’s probably hurting you more than anything. For some reason AMD CPUs are not performing how they should. I keep seeing benchmarks where the i7-13700k out performs a 7800X3D. Which seems odd for an “AMD exclusive sponsored game”. You might need to drop it to 1440P. 

I just realized that is with your 4090 and you’re doing fine. It still could and should be better with a 4090, but that’s not the in giving trouble. Yeah it’s weird to think a system with. 3080 needs to run at 1440 or even 1080, but it might. CPUs are getting killed. 

never forget. 

I'm on a 3080 running at 4K with an i9 12900k... and a bunch of settings on low to hit 60+ FPS lul

• Hype 1

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What crew members are you guys rolling with and how many can you have follow you at once?

physically following you around, just 1, unless the story/mission you’re on gives you another. On the ship I think it depends on the ship. Some ships can have more crew than others. At least I assume since there is a stat for it when looking at your ship(s). 

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Biggie said:

What specifically did you not like/enjoy?

It felt very sterile in the way recent Bethesda games have been. Animation, dialogue, storytelling all feel very robotic and like right off the bat the quests they seem to give out are have been the standard Bethesda "follow these quest markers."

The UI/inventory also seems to somehow get worse with each game. There's a million items to potentially pick up, but they still expect you to manage inventory by scrolling through a linear list? Morrowind handled inventory a thousand times better decades ago.

WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Fixes the spaceship targeting reticle looking choppy. Also includes an option to boost every UI element to 120fps!

Apparently all UI and HUD elements are locked to 30fps on PC for god knows what reason: this mod fixes it. This helps make the game feel less “juttery” in general, but also removes weird artifact from the frame generation mods.

@stepee @Mr.Vic20 @Xbob42

• Thanks 2

I'm playing on a R5 3600 and a RTX 3060, it's fine.  Am I under 60 fps, yeah.  I'm I higher than 30, yeah.  It just makes me chuckle that it's at times not any faster than cyberpunk with RT turned on (using custom settings for both games).  Shoulda waited longer to get a 4060, the frame generation coulda helped.

But enough of that, here is what I've been waiting for!

1258-1694117628-1636165068.png

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Fixes the spaceship targeting reticle looking choppy. Also includes an option to boost every UI element to 120fps!

Apparently all UI and HUD elements are locked to 30fps on PC for god knows what reason: this mod fixes it. This helps make the game feel less “juttery” in general, but also removes weird artifact from the frame generation mods.

@stepee @Mr.Vic20 @Xbob42

Yeah, had this installed since day 1! A must-have.

17 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Somewhat expected, but my refund request was denied. Two hours is typically the limit and I played over 4. Maybe I give it another go at some point.

Yea, give it more time. It starts off a bit slow but really gains traction a few quests in.