Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I know you guys take reviews with a grain of salt, but I truly want this to score  in the 90's. It's wishful thinking but if it does everyone is in for a big treat. 

Everyone knows what this game will be. 

It will be a buggy mess that's disappointing at launch as people find more and more of the false promises or outright lies that Todd Howard made. Eventually after a million patches it will still be a buggy mess but somehow still a very enjoyable experience because the whole outweighs the sum of its parts.

It's been the same formula for 20 years, aint nothing changing now. 

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

It will be a buggy mess that's disappointing at launch as people find more and more of the false promises or outright lies that Todd Howard made. Eventually after a million patches it will still be a buggy mess but somehow still a very enjoyable experience because the whole outweighs the sum of its parts.

god that sounds amazing

:feelsgood:

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You're absolutely correct in everything you said. I'm just trying to remain positive that they learned from their mistakes in the past and  hopefully this will be the best optimized game they released.

A man can dream! :p

Regardless, I'm still fuckin pumped!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Imagine Dragons presents Children of the Sky: A Starfield Song"

Alright. Today's the day. Checklist time:

* Workout complete

* Basic hygiene needs met

* Morning household duties complete

* Dinner arrangements squared away

* Survive 10 hours of work BS starting in 30 minutes

* Hang with the family until 8pm

* Strap into living room couch and tune out all other living souls

* My god, its full of stars! :sun:

• Hype 1

Game Information

Game Title: Starfield

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 6, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Sep 6, 2023)

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 86 average - 87% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Arabhardware - Ahmed Yousry - Arabic - 10 / 10

Starfield is one of the best RPGs in gaming history. A love letter from Bethesda and Todd Howard to their fans who have been waiting for a new title for over 25 years. It's the perfect result of the studio's 30 years of experience, and the beginning of a new era for Xbox.

Areajugones - Ramón Baylos - Spanish - 10 / 10

Starfield is the best Bethesda game there's been in years. A work of infinite ambition that revisits the company's classic formula when making RPGs and transports a large part of its design to the depths of the cosmos. In terms of quality, Starfield is Bethesda's best title since Skyrim. It gives the feeling that it is the work that the studio had always dreamed of doing; a longing that has ended up transforming into the proposal of an overwhelming odyssey in which every old RPG fan can get lost to meet again.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 5 / 5

Starfield is the most potent value proposition for Game Pass, being the killer app for the subscription service. It is also the best, most ambitious game in the Xbox Game Studios library to date. It would not be a stretch to say this could be one of the most ambitious games ever made, and that it followed through with many of those goals with relatively low compromise.

Cinelinx - Caleb Gayle - 5 / 5

Starfield takes you on a journey of creation, wonder, mystery, and storytelling like never before. Once you start playing, you'll be hooked and may find it hard to tear yourself away from the game.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 10 / 10

I wasn't sure if it could be done, but Bethesda has managed to raise the bar for sandbox games even higher. In the end, Starfield is a genre-defining epic open-world RPG with a beautifully immersive universe, a captivating story, and fun and addicting gameplay the whole way. I'm so happy to have experienced Starfield organically without any spoilers, and I really hope you get to as well.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 5 / 5

“Starfield” boldly goes where few games have gone before. With its ambitious scope, nuanced narrative, and deeply ingrained play mechanics, it has set a new standard for what a space exploration game can be.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 5 / 5

Starfield delivers on everything it promised and then some.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 10 / 10

Starfield is a true system seller. More than a game, it's an epic poem. An extremely rich and generous adventure that surprises you every time and when you least expect it. It is by far the most ambitious Bethesda's game and one of the boldest games of the last few years. For sure, Starfield will go down in the history of video games.

Gamepur - Zackerie Fairfax - 10 / 10

I had plans going into Starfield. I thought I knew how I was going to play. But like a solar flare to a ship, Bethesda’s masterpiece of a space RPG knocked me into a black hole where hours feel like minutes, and any attempt to escape its intoxicating grasp is futile. I got lost in space, and it felt so good.

Starfield is THE space game. There’s no reason to play any others, at least not any currently available. It’s an experience made even more enticing as the game will be available on Game Pass from day one and forever. With modders supposedly able to craft entire planets, it’s likely Starfield will dominate the space RPG genre for years and years to come.

GamesCreed - Junior Onunkwo - 5 / 5

Starfield is an interstellar masterpiece, has all the facilities to restore faith in the Xbox gaming community, and has well and truly risen Xbox from the dead. When it comes to the story, you won’t get the good stuff until later in the game, but the enthralling story, equally engaging side quests, overwhelmingly praiseworthy and immersive features, and much more will give you an outstanding RPG experience. The visuals might not be too great, but with far too many great things Starfield has to offer, it’s not to be all and end all.

GamesRadar+ - Leon Hurley - 5 / 5

With this kind of freedom 'avoiding the main mission' is the main mission.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 10 / 10

As unfathomably vast and boundless as the subject matter it covers, Starfield raises the bar for its genre and for the medium as a whole in countless ways - much like the best of its Bethesda-developed forebears did in their time.

Hey Poor Player - Andrew Thornton - 5 / 5

Starfield isn’t a perfect game. No game is. That said, for a game to have this much ambition and actually pull off almost everything it set out to accomplish is a remarkable achievement. I haven’t even talked about some of the game’s most interesting elements, such as how it approaches New Game+, which I can’t wait for more players to see. Starfield is a triumph that I’m confident players will be exploring for years to come, not only because it will remain incredibly compelling but because it will take that long to see anywhere near everything it has to offer.

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 10 / 10

Starfield is, in a nutshell, everything it needed to be and much more than we could have hoped for.

Impulsegamer - Andrew Bistak - 5 / 5

Starfield is a game that needs time and I do mean time. Without time, you cannot do the game justice due to the complex story pathways and exploration mechanics. While the game mechanics are sturdy, there are definitely parallels to Skyrim, however it's solely a sci-fi experience that fortunately works well with the Creation Engine that was used to build the Bethesda titles of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 76.

Infinite Start - 10 / 10

All in all, Starfield stands as a testament to Bethesda's creative prowess and dedication. It has succeeded in crafting an immersive universe that encapsulates the spirit of exploration and adventure. With its captivating storyline, refined mechanics, and attention to detail, Starfield beckons players to venture into the cosmos and experience a journey that will likely resonate for years to come.

Jump Dash Roll - Derek Johnson - 10 / 10

Starfield is not only the best RPG since 2010's Fallout New Vegas, but one of the best video games ever made. ‍

Kakuchopurei - Lewis Larcombe - 100 / 100

Ultimately, Starfield not only marks the beginning of a new Bethesda universe but also stands as a testament to the studio's ability to adapt its RPG mastery to a spacefaring epic. As players traverse the cosmos and uncover the mysteries it holds, Starfield promises to provide countless hours of immersive gameplay, solidifying its place among Bethesda's iconic RPG titles. It truly delivers on all fronts.

PCWorld - Benjamin Kratsch - 5 / 5

Bethesda has finally landed another hit. Starfield is the space RPG epic we’ve been wanting for so long. It has the incredible expansiveness and variance in design of No Man’s Sky mixed with the dialogue depth and creative quests of Fallout or even Mass Effect. The only thing that might bother some people is the heavy reliance on fast travel and that many planets only make sense when you build bases and production facilities there.

PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 10 / 10

Do you buy consoles for such games? Starfield is the first, full-fledged and at the same time next-gen exclusive debuting exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and personal computers. Bethesda did not disappoint by inviting players on a journey to the stars.

Pixel Arts - Reza Modaresi - Persian - 10 / 10

Starfield surpasses all expectations from Bethesda and then some. It's a sprawling, captivating masterpiece brimming with intricate details, leaving you torn over which aspect of gameplay to immerse yourself in. This game redefines the RPG genre, offers an outstanding action-packed experience, and serves as an all-encompassing simulator of the universe. Whether you're prepared to embark on a galactic odyssey that spans hundreds of hours or not, Starfield beckons, and if time is scarce, you'll want to clear your schedule ASAP!

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 5 / 5

Starfield doesn’t reinvent the RPG genre, but it does make it quite exciting. It’s a game that feels distinct from the studio’s prior work like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout , and even represents the best of both worlds. Bethesda Game Studios managed to incorporate streamlined systems to make exploring space fun, and never a chore. There’s nothing I dislike about it. Starfield is ambitious and magical, capturing the wonder and vastness of space beautifully, and feels like a truly next-gen experience.

Sirus Gaming - Kimberly Mae Go - 10 / 10

Starfield emerges as a stellar addition to Bethesda’s RPG legacy. It delivers on the promise of a vast, immersive universe teeming with engaging narratives, memorable companions, and intricate character development.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5

Starfield is the ultimate Bethesda game. It takes what people loved about Fallout and Skyrim, and casts it across an enormous galaxy filled with captivating characters.

Washington Post - Gene Park - 100 / 100

The technology may fail, but the human experience as a messy, impetuous thing remains. Because of that, “Starfield” makes the right sacrifices.

Generación Xbox - Jose Angel - Spanish - 99 / 100

Starfield is one of those games that define an era. When Todd Howard said in an interview that he wanted it to be what Skyrim meant to video games at the time, he wasn't wrong. Hundreds of hours ahead, huge amounts of actions connected to each other, skills, conversations, missions, customizations, mechanics and a giant world that invites you to imagine how Bethesda is going to make it grow, make this title a work of art that I would recommend to any player. I can't believe this is in Game Pass at launch.

Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 9.8 / 10

Starfield is the ultimate space adventure, a game I often dreamed of being possible in my youth and finally fully realized by Bethesda.

RPG Fan - Noah Leiter - 98%

Starfield delivers on its promise to make a huge, fun, compelling, and player-focused playground for sci fi RPG fans to play and perform in.

SomosXbox - Daniel Villagrasa - Spanish - 9.8 / 10

It is difficult to find faults with Starfield and those that we mentioned the truth is that they do not tarnish the final result. Starfield is one of the best games of the year (which is no small thing in this fantastic 2023) and one of the best games in Xbox history. Bethesda has created a game that will mark an era and that will serve as an example for other studios that are encouraged to undertake their own journey in space.

MondoXbox - Giuseppe Genga - Italian - 9.7 / 10

Starfield can be summed up in one word: immense. Immense for the quantity and quality of stories it delivers, immense for the number of different activities it makes possible, immense like the galaxy it allows us to explore. Bethesda's new RPG will make you live a great sci-fi adventure, exploring hundreds of planets, admiring beautiful sceneries, and granting you many emotions, all at your own pace and making you live the adventure the way you want. If you are fascinated by space exploration and love narrative-focused experiences, this is an absolute must-have.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.7 / 10

Starfield is a new beginning.  Not only for Bethesda but for Xbox as a whole.  With excellent writing, stunning graphics, and thrilling gameplay it makes the galaxy yours to explore, shape, and live in.  It is a wonderous tapestry to experience your story in a way that only the best have done before.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 95 / 100

In conclusion, Starfield is a video game that shows the love on the part of Bethesda, it has enough attention to detail in both its main and secondary missions. Not to mention the open-world sections with an entire galaxy to see, offering hours and hours of content to completist players.

CGMagazine - Steven Green - 9.5 / 10

Despite its occasional bug, unexplained mechanic, or small gripe, Starfield is one of the premiere titles in Xbox's library and adds to Bethesda's storied history.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 9.5 / 10

Starfield changes the RPG game by adding a slow burn of a main quest alongside a character management system that keeps players' power in check. It's nearly perfect, and I can't wait to spend another chunk of my life playing another excellent Bethesda RPG.

ElderPlayers - Moath Saeed - Arabic - 9.5 / 10

Starfield Provide a deep and pure RPG experience from Bethesda  studios which delivered on its promises. Because of the huge amount of content and multiple and varied playing styles with deep options, accompanied by a complex system of missions, skills, and side stories with varied decisions. It was missing some things to be close to perfection, but Starfield can be considered a gift for fans of the studio's previous games and for fans of Western RPGs in general.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - 9.5 / 10

I really do love this game. Yes, Bethesda doesn’t match some of its peers in many places, but in part that’s because it’s trying to do everything, all at once. But if you wanted a giant Bethesda RPG set in space with better combat and a whole lot of time to level and build things and explore and find secrets, yeah, this is it. They did it. Enjoy.

Gamepressure - Giancarlo Saldana - 9.5 / 10

With hundreds of hours of gameplay, various quests to complete, and thousands of planets to survey and explore, Starfield capitalizes on everything that has worked for Bethesda in the past, giving us an experience that feels like a giant leap in greatness.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 95 / 100

Simply put, Starfield is Bethesda's greatest-ever RPG. The living, breathing universe they have created is one of the most impressive in the gaming space and the sound effects and musical score push the immersion to near perfection. If only I could stop speaking to the back of NPC's heads.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 9.5 / 10

When they are firing on all cylinders, Bethesda games deliver pure video game magic, and Starfield is no exception. Offering an enormous galaxy to explore, a ludicrous wealth of interesting content, well-written characters, and innovative mechanics that push the genre in new directions, Starfield is a (mostly) clean experience at launch that should be experienced by all action/RPG fans. This is a new classic.

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

After conquering wastelands and fantasy worlds, Behesda begins to conquer the universe. Starfield offers their biggest RPG yet with a very good mix of story, action and exporation. The Creation Engine still shows beautiful scenery, but also its limits in map size.

Use a Potion - 9.5 / 10

Starfield might have imperfections, but it more than lives up to the hype with its wonderful sci-fi world that gives players full control of their journey. The storytelling is rich with intricacies and depth, the quest design is brilliant and lets players approach each objective in their own way, there’s a vast universe to explore that’s full of surprises, and, most importantly, it gets all of the basics right to make for a very, VERY fun experience.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find space exploration a little disappointing with its automated sense of discovery, but it didn’t stop me from being fully invested in this sci-fi spectacle. And best of all? You can play it on Game Pass. Xbox players have been waiting for that killer, unmissable AAA hit for a while, but in Starfield, they finally have it.

Fextralife - Fexelea - 9.4 / 10

Starfield is a compelling and engaging interstellar adventure that successfully blends core RPG mechanics with open world exploration and deep questing. A complete delight from start to finish and an instant classic for any gamer that enjoys Sci Fi and is ready for adventure.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 94 / 100

The best Bethesda Game Studios has conceived a huge, colossal and exciting game, where each adventure can be different. It's not perfect, but it's certainly one of the games of the year.

BaziCenter - Milad Taher Nejad - Persian - 9 / 10

Even though the first quarter of the main story is boring, loading screens pop-up every time you blink and some gameplay mechanisms are lacking, Starfield is still one of the best RPGs we've seen in years and definitely one of the best when it comes to science fiction. Does it live up to the massive hype behind it? Probably not. Will we be playing and talking about it for years to come? Definitely yes!

BossLevelGamer - Dayna Eileen - 9 / 10

Starfield is a game that will have players sinking hundreds of hours into it. There are some Bethesda touches that need to be forgiven, and some interesting end game options, but ultimately, it is a game that brings something to the table for every kind of player.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 9 / 10

Starfield is Bethesda firing on all cylinders.

COGconnected - Oliver Ferguson - 90 / 100

Starfield is Bethesda’s most polished game yet. It has a ton to do but falls flat on the exploration aspect. Without vehicles, walking around planets is not an efficient way to travel. The story is fantastic however and the game is visually stunning. It’s a unique experience you shouldn’t miss out on.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 9 / 10

Starfield is a truly impressive offering that just begs to be explored that will keep players coming back for easily over a hundred hours despite some rougher mechanics and design issues.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 9 / 10

Starfield may not be the seamless and faultless persistent open world some may be craving. Though what it does provide is still certainly worthy of elation. Give the title some time to warm up and you'll uncover a vastly refined and picturesque journey of otherworldly proportions. A game of size, scope, and quality all wrapped into one-the beauty of discovery is but a warp drive away.

DualShockers - Emma Ward - 9 / 10

Starfield is an epic space adventure role-playing game set 300 years in the future. It tells an unforgettable story that continues to surprise you every step of the way. The personal choices you make will significantly impact the plot and your closest companions. The combat system is addicting, adapts to your unique character build, and constantly keeps you on your toes with varying gravity and environmental hazards. Although there are some shortcomings with the space travel mechanics, your curiosity as a space explorer is never diminished due to the over 1000 beautiful planets you can visit and the endless mysteries to be discovered throughout the galaxy. Starfield is truly something special that delivers a new standard for space RPGs sure to be talked about for the next decade.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 90%

Starfield may not reinvent the wheel when it comes to Bethesda’s formula for role-playing games, but it cleverly combines the best elements of past games in a very appealing sci-fi setting. The highlights are no doubt the many well-written and well-designed quests that you’ll encounter throughout your journey through the settled systems. No matter what appeals to you as a player, be it nail-biting gunfights, the quiet construction of your own base or the thrills of laser-dodging dye dogfighting, Starfield has hours upon hours of content for you to lose yourself in.

GameBlast - Maurício Katayama - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Starfield is an immense RPG, which gives the player the opportunity to be whoever they want and explore a vast universe, adapting the gameplay to their style, exploring only the mechanics they like most. It's certainly not perfect, but its flaws matter less and less as the player becomes absorbed by the immense amount of activities and content at their disposal. Starfield is an experience that shouldn't be played, but lived, and has enough content to entertain the player for years as their space life simulator.

GameCrate - Paul Semel - 9 / 10

But then, these issues with inventory management and navigation really only annoy me because of how I play games like Starfield: as deep action games with first-person shooting combat. And that's one of the other great things about this game (and, honestly, this genre of game): you have so much choice in what you do and how you do it that you might not be bothered by having overflowing pockets or being unable to find a store. Heck, bring a knife to a gunfight if you want. You do you. Me, I'll be exploring the stars, with a gun in my hand, a song in my heart, and a grin on my face.

GameLuster - Nirav Gandhi - 9 / 10

Starfield is the culmination of Bethesda's 25 years of excellent RPGs and makes me feel the insignificance, humility, and thrill of exploring space. Every time I think I understand Starfield, it finds a new way to surprise me.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 9 / 10

Starfield is a masterpiece that unites the creativity and experience that Bethesda has built up over the years. Even after hundreds of hours of play, there is still fresh content waiting to be discovered. Just as TESV and Fallout 4 still have players making modules and discussing details, I believe that ten years from now, there will still be a large number of players who will be travelling in the universe created by Starfield.

GamesBeat - Rachel Kaser - 4.5 / 5

More than anything else, I’m curious to see where the Bethesda audience takes Starfield. Each game from the company has its own dedicated community and I want to see what Starfield’s community will look like in a few months’ or years’ time.

GamingTrend - David Burdette, David Flynn, Ron Burke - 90 / 100

Bethesda Game Studios has reached new heights in Starfield. A thrilling narrative, loaded with an entire universe to explore and backed by sublimely polished systems, has ushered in the ultimate Bethesda experience. It's truly hard to summarize just what makes Starfield special, and that's because so much of it is. You'll be glued to your screen for hours, going where no explorer has gone before.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Starfield is filled with possibilities for who you can become and what you can do, pushing the boundaries of what is possible in gaming.

IGN Italy - Andrea Giongiani - Italian - 9 / 10

Starfiels is an incredibly ambitious game that hits almost every target it is aimed at. If you love space, science, and the undeniable spirit for discovery innate in every human being, you will love this game.

LevelUp - Pablo Vargas - Spanish - 9 / 10

With all its small failures, today, we suddenly return to February 3, 1994 and that school hall, full of children, who saw Franklin Chang-Díaz, become the first Costa Rican and Latin American astronaut to reach outer space; while we put on the helmet, we turn on our gravitational engine and we see 'Starfield' being a true dream come true of that entire generation that grew up admiring astronauts as true modern heroes, who sailed the skies and carried with them, our childhood dreams, of being able to one day reach the stars too.

MMORPG.com - Jason Fanelli - 9 / 10

Starfield is one of the best space-based RPGs ever made, one where hours fly by in minutes, and one where the only hard limit is your imagination.

MonsterVine - Joe Bariso - 4.5 / 5

Starfield is a Bethesda game pushed to the absolute limits, it's a good thing that Bethesda is still the very best at what they do.

Multiplayer First - James Lara - 9 / 10

It has everything you’d want from a Bethesda game: a deep and prosperous universe filled with endless possibilities and limitless potential. Be who you want to be, go where you want to go; your freedom is in your hands, and what you do with it is entirely up to you in Starfield.

Oyungezer Online - Sabri Erkan Sabanci - Turkish - 9 / 10

This game became my Skyrim. Even though I've finished the game and seen a lot of things, there are still a lot of quests I want to do, a lot of planets I want to explore, a lot of people I want to meet. If you like science fiction, I'm almost sure you'll agree with me.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9 / 10

If what you're hoping for is The Elder Scrolls or Fallout in space, then Starfield is that. Not only does it have countless stories begging to be sought out against a vast and beckoning star chart, it's also the most polished Bethesda Game Studios title we've ever had.

Prima Games - Daphne Fama - 9 / 10

Starfield is a good game, like a really good game. It embodies the spirit of Manifest Destiny in a way that no other open-world game has ever come close to approaching. It’s a game that’s meant to be played slowly over the course of months, if not years. And even then, you shouldn’t expect to uncover every little detail.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Starfield is Bethesda's best RPG to date, an enormous space odyssey that serves up some incredibly evocative and engaging exploration, satisfying combat, and a narrative that had us hooked right to the end. Yes there are issues here with the usual jank, and some very messy and fiddly menus and interactions, but all of these problems feel minor when compared to everything this game gets right. In a year that's been packed full of absolutely essential games, Starfield manages to sit right up top with some of the best of them. After all the hype and bluster, this is just a very, very good RPG and a game we'll be playing and replaying for a long time to come.

RPG Site - Alex Donaldson - 9 / 10

Starfield is wider, wilder, and more ambitious than I expected - but also shows surprising restraint in many areas. More than the sum of its parts, it's the best game of this type Bethesda has delivered.

Screen Rant - Akshay Bhalla - 4.5 / 5

Even though Starfield is slightly rough around the edges, it never detracts from all the fun and adventure. With engaging storytelling, charismatic characters, and an enthralling world, Starfield is an instant classic and a triumphant homecoming to blockbuster gaming for Bethesda Game Studios.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 9 / 10

Starfield is more than a welcome addition to Bethesda’s family of RPG franchises, it feels like the start of a new era for the studio. Not only is it the developer’s most technically impressive game, but it also delivers a worthwhile narrative that takes some major swings and establishes a sprawling mythos. It has some blemishes here and there, but Starfield proves to be an awesome sci-fi adventure.

Siliconera - Brent Koepp - 9 / 10

Starfield is a genre-defining space exploration RPG. With a vast galaxy of characters and stories to uncover, this is Bethesda's best work in years.

SpoilerTV - CJ Allan - 90 / 100

Starfield is the sci-fi fantasy game that you've been waiting for. To truly enjoy and get the full experience of this space RPG, you must fully invest your time and multiple playthroughs to get the best from it. With a compelling story and a vast universe to explore, Starfield will have you coming back for more. Some elements like the inventory and weight allowance take away from the enjoyment early on, but if you battle through, Starfield will take you on a wild adventure. One of the best games XBOX has released in many years!

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 4.5 / 5

Starfield is by a mile Bethesda Game Studios' best-ever game. It builds on everything they have done before and only improves it. Combat is smoother and more engaging than ever; the sense of discovery across this vast universe is astounding. It just isn’t as perfect as some people had expected and hoped for.

TheXboxHub - Richard Dobson - 4.5 / 5

Figuratively and literally, Starfield is the next evolution for a Bethesda game; taking that framework and that sandbox before applying it 1000 times over.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 9 / 10

Reducing Starfield to a number is far from being easy. On the one hand we have Bethesda's most ambitious game ever with an overwhelming amount of content: full of secrets, quests, characters and casual adventures; on the other hand we have a title still anchored to old dogmas, with a high dose of proceduralism and some limitations that most critics will not appreciate. Nevertheless, Starfield is destined to become a new cult, capable of attracting millions of players for at least the next decade, just as Skyrim did before it, as well as being the first big star of Xbox's rebirth.

TrueAchievements - Heidi Nicholas - 9 / 10

Achievement-wise, this game is clearly going to take some time, and that can only be a good thing considering that Starfield seems to have delivered what it promised: an almost endless adventure we’ll still be discovering new details about years down the line.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

Starfield breaks the curse of Xbox and exclusive first-party games, Starfield is a must-have game for all fans of open world games and the most important game for the Xbox platform this generation as of the moment of this writing. There are some limitations and inconveniences, but they will all fade over time and the solid, magical experience will remain firmly in the players' memories.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4.5 / 5

In its second act, Starfield shows its cards as you finally realize what it’s all about, and that revelation is tremendous. You won’t be fighting dragons in this one, but Starfield doesn’t need any of that pizazz or showmanship to excel. The beauty of Starfield lies in its humanity, and how deeply it cares about the Earth we live on and what we’ll do to survive as a race. It’s a game about breaking through the final frontier, about appreciating what we have, about the lengths we’ll go to advance, and while it has its flaws and missteps, Starfield explores these themes with a sense of earnestness and authenticity that’s hard to find in most other titles. And maybe that’s all that matters.

VideoGamer - Tom Bardwell - 9 / 10

Starfield is the enchantment and wonder of space bottled and fleshed out into something grand and ambitious, thoughtful and attentive, janky at times, often funny, but always charming.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 9 / 10

With an engaging story, well-developed characters and lore, and a huge amount of meaningful content, Starfield is one of Bethesda's finest games and one of the best role-playing games released in the past few years.

We Got This Covered - Ash Martinez - 4.5 / 5

Starfield may not shake Bethesda’s legendary formula as much as some players wanted, but it defies all but the most unreasonable expectations. Newcomers will easily lose themselves in the universe, and fans of the studio won’t be disappointed. Starfield easily joins Fallout 4 and Skyrim as a titan of a game that will continue to enthrall players long after its release.

Windows Central - Jez Corden - 4.5 / 5

With incredible writing, its slow-burn stories snowball into immense moments, and tight RPG/FPS combat thrills in spaceship battles, grounded firefights, and zero-G death ballets — Starfield is a landmark experience with a bright future ahead of it.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10

Starfield both hits and misses the mark. Starfield has both improvements and steps backward from the previous games, and whether you consider it to be better or worse than Fallout is dependent on what you prized from those games. If you're looking for more Fallout 4 with bigger and more detailed environments and quests, then Starfield is pretty much everything you could hope for and more. If you're looking for No Man's Skyrim, however, it's disappointing. Almost everything on the ground feels good, while the space travel and exploration feels lackluster. If you're looking for a Bethesda-style, open-world RPG, Starfield scratches that itch, and Bethesda fans will lose countless hours in scouring every nook and cranny.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 89%

Starfield is the perfect example of a video game that is equal parts brilliant, and equal parts flawed. Its open-world is nothing short of staggering, while its animations and dialogue are something best left in the past. Regardless of that, though, Starfield is truly an iconic experience, and will go down as an all-time great - of that I have no doubt.

The Games Machine - Paolo Besser - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Starfield is for cautious and patient explorers, not for those who want everything right away. The beginning of the story is rather bland, the sense of estrangement at the highest levels. But as the fog clears, you can sense and appreciate all its potential and the free will left to the player, who really has a thousand things to do as he wants and when he prefers, perhaps leaving the continuation of a mission to better times (and statistics). On the other hand, the slowness of movements on the ground and small design defects have their weight and, albeit reluctantly, this must be taken into account in the global assessment, which remains high in anticipation of future developments. Maybe a few more weeks of playtest would have benefited him.

New Game Network - Ben Thomas - 86 / 100

Starfield is a grand interstellar adventure with exciting pockets of exploration, detailed cities, interesting side quests, memorable characters, competent action, and fun ship building. Despite minor issues, it gracefully blends Bethesda's trademark gameplay with the wonders of space.

Everyeye.it - Alessandro Bruni - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Starfield is a mammoth and enveloping title, which in some ways represents the absolute pinnacle of Bethesda's production. For quality and size, in fact, the ludonarrative baggage of the work stands a span above the previous role-playing adventures of the American team, from which, however, the title also inherits some of its less convincing traits.

GRYOnline.pl - Mikołaj Łaszkiewicz - Polish - 8.5 / 10

I was drawn into the story surprisingly quickly. This one is full of understatements and develops as you delve into the game, and discovering subsequent pieces of the cosmic puzzle is simply fun. Unfortunately, traditionally for Bethesda, it waters down after some time and, for example, discovering new temples with special powers is simply boring. They all look the same, they are found the same way, and when each is revealed, the same sequence of combat against the same enemy follows.

Game Informer - Matt Miller - 8.5 / 10

Go in with the expectation that it will take some time to find your footing in such a vast gameplay space, and there’s a universe well worth discovering here.

Geek Culture - Wong Si Jia - 8.5 / 10

10 years in the making, Starfield is shaping up to be a bright glow in a sea of stars. More than just Skyrim in space, it offers some genuine enjoyment in the face of both familiar and novel elements, namely with exploration and player choice. Bethesda’s latest isn’t flawless, and that’s perfectly fine (some may even find its faults charming), because it has a little something for everyone. Free-roaming fun? Check. The thrills of battle? Double check. Customisation? Triple check – the list goes on.

INVEN - Kyuman Kim - Korean - 8.5 / 10

Compared to Bethesda's previous works, there seems no major innovations have implemented, and the empty space and perplexing UI can be stumbling blocks. Even though, it is true that the game does offer various sources of enjoyment as an entirely new universe. Once you get past the somewhat uninspiring initial stories, you might discover yourself playing the game without realizing how time flies.

Niche Gamer - Brandon Orselli - 8.5 / 10

Players that don’t like typical Bethesda RPG tropes like the combat, the skill system, the exploration, or the questing will likely not enjoy Starfield because it’s definitely more of the same. However, if you enjoy Bethesda RPGs and have been itching for them to finally do a sci-fi game, Starfield is quite a fantastic ride.

NoesPaisparaFrikis - Oscar Garcia Mompean - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Starfield carried the heavy burden of the hopes of a user, the Xbox user, who had been on a hard pilgrimage through the desert of brand exclusives for a long time. And it is true that Starfield may not be the exclusive that this user deserves but it is without a doubt the exclusive that he now needed to face the trip again with the joy and excitement of being able to wink at the companion next to him and put a knowing smile on his lips.

PC Invasion - Noah Nelson - 9 / 10

Though Starfield is an ambitious sci-fi adventure that's incredibly fun, beautifully nostalgic, and will age like fine wine, there are several fundamental decisions that Bethesda sticks to that makes Starfield feel like it's stuck in 2011... for better and worse. Ultimately though, Starfield is yet another Bethesda classic.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8.5 / 10

Bethesda's new space opera Starfield isn't perfect, but its accessible approach to open galaxy gaming should find a wide audience. Read on.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 8.5 / 10

It is a game you will easily be able to spend hundreds, maybe thousands of hours into, and just complete a tenth of everything it has to offer. It can be a swashbuckling adventure, the next big space RPG since The Outer Worlds, a space trading simulator, or even a straightforward relaxing exploratory experience to play while listening to a podcast. The decision is yours. Welcome to space. Enjoy your stay.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 8.5 / 10

Starfield is a magical, if a little clumsy, first journey to the stars for Bethesda, the RPG maker reminding us of the power of player freedom, engaging writing, and just a little jank.

Zoomg - Afshin Piroozi - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Starfield is not a perfect game, but Bethesda once again has created a world that delivers the joy of exploration at its best. Starfield is full of mysteries that can be explored for a very long time and its approach to new game plus expands this joy even more. Well written characters and storylines are there to be found and for all the previous Bethesda fans that have enjoyed playing the likes of Fallout or Skyrim, Starfield is the new game that they can live in for the for the foreseeable future.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Ersin Kılıç - Turkish - 83 / 100

Starfield is a game that you'll play for long hours, you'll be frustrated by the limitations from time to time, but for the most part you'll enjoy it just as big as the game itself.

GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 82 / 100

Starfield is not a new The Elder Scrolls, but it will keep fans of Bethesda RPGs happy for dozens of hours.

ComicBook.com - Tanner Dedmon - 4 / 5

My opinion of Starfield is overall high despite what my many criticisms might suggest. It's a Bethesda RPG, and even Bethesda's middling options blow competitors out of the water when it comes to choice and freedom, so Starfield was always going to be a success. Whether it's enough of a success to uplift Xbox and make someone buy a new console is another discussion, but Starfield itself is perfectly competent and – dare I say it – fun, and even the most frustrating moments were unable to deter me from wanting more

Easy Allies - Michael Damiani - 8 / 10

Starfield is very ambitious, offering the freedom to play through rich and complex stories, but it under delivers on the promises of captivating space exploration.

Enternity.gr - Nikos Papakonstantinou - Greek - 8 / 10

Starfield is a commendable attempt by Bethesda to take a step forward, it is improved in every way compared to its previous titles, it is ambitious, sometimes even exciting.

Explosion Network - Ciaran Marchant - 8 / 10

Starfield is not for everyone, but it is a game that can be truly special individually when players try to make their adventure within it. Unlike the Bethesda blueprint that appears at the game's foundation, there is no blueprint for how to play Starfield.

GGRecon - Dani Cross - 4 / 5

To some, Starfield may feel like more of the same in space. To others, that’ll be exactly what they’re looking for. When you give it time to breathe, the game shows you its strengths and invites you to play the way you wish. Not all of its features work out but most do, and the control you have over your journey makes it an excellent trip all the same.

GameSkinny - Jason Rodriguez - 8 / 10

Starfield is a massive game with countless mechanics and features that reach for the stars.

GameSpace - Brau3er - 8 / 10

Overall, Starfield is fine. It's a Frankenstein's monster of other sci-fi games and references, and it doesn't do any of those things better than existing products. The battle? Cyberpunk 2077 is smoother. Mining and geological exploration? This is all No Man's Sky. Controlling the ship? FTL still reigns. RPG story? Can't compare to Outer Worlds. But even after all this, the game is good and will keep players engaged for a long, long while.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5

It's the static and mechanical elements of Starfield that shine the brightest – the art, the environments, the combat systems. They make up the strong foundations of a playset with a very intriguing scenario. But you need to mentally meet Starfield partway to complete its vision of a vast, living universe. You need to stretch out the expanse and envision the journey. You need to look past the menus and form the fantasy. You need to help breathe life into its paper dolls. You need to add your own dash of wonder, and imagine your own unknowns. Truly, Starfield is a role-playing game, through and through.

Guardian - Simon Parkin - 4 / 5

Bethesda's long-awaited space epic is a vast interstellar canvas full of glorious sights to see and intriguing threads to pull – if you can keep patience with its fussy systems

Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 4 / 5

Starfield is a momentous RPG, even if it doesn't quite deliver in all its areas.

LevelUp - Luis Sánchez - Spanish - 8 / 10

Starfield is quite the epic ride! This game immerses you in an enthralling odyssey filled with unexpected twists, always keeping you on your toes as you chase down new missions. Nevertheless, the experience is marred by technical and performance issues, the presence of procedurally generated planets, and the reliance on fast travel, all of which tend to dilute the overall sense of exploration.

M3 - Billy Ekblom - Swedish - 4 / 5

After almost two weeks with Starfield, the feeling is that there is still plenty to see and do. An epic space adventure in every way that will suck you into a black hole of entertainment. The game has its problems – especially in the weak main campaign – but you're sure to have other things to do.

Noisy Pixel - Azario Lopez - 8 / 10

Starfield is a true space adventure that only Bethesda can deliver. It's an experience catered to the fans of large expansive RPG narratives, but this one takes it a step further to stretch across an entire universe. There are minor systems and menus that cause confusion, and the lack of real tutorials paired with a flimsy opening holds back the opening hours. Still, the experience is undeniably memorable, and the writing for NPCs makes up the best moments. Although the many systems can be overwhelming, this is a game full of discovery for all who play.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 80 / 100

Although it's not as good as Fallout or Skyrim, Starfield is still fundamentally a classic Bethesda role-playing game. The quests change up occasionally and are full of wit and cleverness in spots; unfortunately, this is also the game's only strength, which we foolishly learn about only after putting in a few hours. The closest comparison would be Fallout in outer space. Shares many of Fallout 4's and Skyrim's flaws and triumphs, does some things exceptionally well, and even brings back some of Oblivion's mechanics. Starfield is like Skyrim and Fallout 4 fused in space. Expect nothing amazing, but give it a shot if you like Bethesda role-playing games and are looking for something with a sci-fi twist.

Stevivor - Jay Ball - 8 / 10

For the sheer size of it, the beauty of the hundreds of different landscapes you can explore and the always engaging missions, Starfield is a massive technical achievement.

TechRaptor - Erren Van Duine - 8 / 10

Starfield's biggest strength is its complimentary content - sidequests, exploration, and more will gather your attention for hours despite a less-than-compelling narrative.

TheGamer - Ben Sledge - 4 / 5

I came into Starfield wanting to explore the stars, and I got a brilliant sci-fi story instead. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed.

Tom's Guide - Roland Moore-Colyer - 4 / 5

Starfield boldly goes beyond just Skyrim and Fallout in space

TrustedReviews - Ryan Jones - 4 / 5

We play every game we review through to the end, outside of certain exceptions where getting 100% completion, like Skyrim, is close to impossible to do. When we don’t fully finish a game before reviewing it, we will always alert the reader.

VG247 - Josh Broadwell - 4 / 5

Starfield’s grandiose scope sets the scene for a few under-developed ideas in an otherwise thoughtful, muddy take on the sci-fi genre.

XGN.nl - Ralph Beentjes - Dutch - 8 / 10

Starfield is a Bethesda RPG in every sense of the word. It offers a large, rich and intriguing world, filled with sidequests and a mysterious main story. The possibility to enter your spaceship and explore the galaxy and fight space pirates is really fun. It has however a few strange bugs, the graphics can change a lot and firefights miss something extra. We’re certain though that RPG fans can easily spend hundreds of hours in Starfield.

ZTGD - Ken McKown - 8 / 10

Starfield is a great game, but it is not the second coming of Bethesda. This is exactly what I thought it was going to be and if you love their games, you will love Starfield. There is so much to see and do. So many great characters, excellent writing, and plenty of side quests and choices to make. I hate the cliché “if you’re a fan of the genre” but if a game ever matched that quote, it is this one. This is a Bethesda space opera and one of their best games to date. I enjoyed my time and was always excited to dive back in. I don’t see myself going back often now that the main quest is complete, but I had a great time on my journey. Even if it is a bit cliché

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8 / 10

Starfield on many fronts is a very good game, but at the same time on many fronts it shows that some things could have been thought about more deeply and implemented differently or simply better. A better pace of the plot and more interesting exploration would definitely have helped the overall perception of the game. Great characters, a lot of interesting side quests and pleasant combat systems definitely help in the positive perception of the game.

Gamefa - Mehdi Maleki - Persian - 7.9 / 10

Starfield is a huge game that raises some of the standards of Bethesda's previous games and leaves others obsolete. The companion characters, combat and gunplay, side quests, art design, physics and sound of the game are very impressive. Unfortunately, this argument does not apply to the main quests, exploration, and space battles, as well as the depth of the game's RPG system. So while Starfield falls short of Bethesda's ultimate gaming artistry, it offers a very entertaining experience.

SpaceNerd.it - Salvatore Varavallo - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Starfield is definitely Bethesda's most ambitious project. This can be seen in the huge amount of world building, the commitment to storytelling and the attention to detail that in recent years has only been seen in the most famous open world RPGs. This great ambition, however, has allowed Starfield to carry with it the usual problems that have been guiltily found in Bethesda productions for too many years.

3DNews - Алексей Лихачев - Russian - 7.5 / 10

With a passable story and a lot of empty planets, Starfield is unlikely to be included in the lists of Bethesda's best games. There are enough great things about it: many quests outside of the main story are excellent, the cities are lively and beautiful, and the gameplay, for which many people love the games of this company, has retained its qualities. But I expected something more, something that would take Bethesda to new heights.

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 7.5 / 10

A fun space-faring RPG held back by a few glaring decisions, Starfield is a good launching point for a game that'll become something great in the future.

PC Gamer - Christopher Livingston - 75 / 100

Starfield shares plenty of DNA with Skyrim and Fallout 4, but ultimately falls short of both.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5

Starfield isn’t the generation-defining video game that overeager fans might be expecting; it’s a fairly typical, though impressively constructed Bethesda RPG where depth and stability often come at the expense of scope. The surprisingly limited base adventure isn’t so much the draw here, though. The enormous intergalactic playground feels custom-made for modders who want to explore the infinite possibilities of space just as much as Constellation and Bethesda itself.

Game Revolution - Jason Faulkner - 7 / 10

When scoring Starfield, I considered that many of my issues with the game were totally subjective. However, the game does have technical and design issues that can’t be ignored. Ironically, it has many of the same problems people relentlessly criticized Cyberpunk 2077 for, like lifeless crowds, a hollow wanted system, and glitchy animations, but it’s largely getting a pass. Bethesda deserves kudos for pioneering the modern Western RPG format, and I don’t think every game needs to be some innovative revolution. Despite this, Starfield is backed by Microsoft and produced by one of the biggest game companies in the world. There’s no reason it should feel and play like Fallout 4 in space.

GameSpot - Michael Higham - 7 / 10

Bethesda's spacefaring adventure has its moments with impressive scale, satisfying combat, and some worthwhile side quests, but its shallow RPG systems and uninspired vision of the cosmos make for a journey that's a mile wide, but an inch deep.

IGN - Dan Stapleton - 7 / 10

Starfield has a lot of forces working against it, but eventually the allure of its expansive roleplaying quests and respectable combat make its gravitational pull difficult to resist.

Nexus Hub - Andrew Logue - 7 / 10

Starfield is a game that somehow enthralls me and irritates me in equal measure. On one hand, you’ve got a compelling galaxy-sized rabbit hole you can lose yourself in for hours on end, with complex questlines, refined role-playing mechanics, and that “new IP” freshness that makes it easy to ignore the flaws for a while. The problem is the more time you invest, the more procedurally generated content you experience, and the less rewarding the experience becomes.

PCGamesN - Nat Smith - 7 / 10

Starfield is a true behemoth of an RPG, and in many ways it's the logical endpoint of Bethesda Game Studios' well-worn formula. However, its massive scope pushes this formula to the absolute limit and the cracks begin to show, from feature creep to the stop-start nature of its exploration. Dedicated Bethesda fans are sure to get their fill, but this interstellar adventure never leaves the atmosphere.

PCMag - Zackery Cuevas - 3.5 / 5

Starfield is a massive space-based RPG with a galaxy of content to explore, but it has a surprising lack of ambition.

SVG - Gabran Gray - 7 / 10

Despite adhering to its tried-and-true concepts from previous games, 'Starfield' promises an experience as fulfilling as any other title from Bethesda.

Saudi Gamer - خالد أحمد - Arabic - 7 / 10

Starfield can be described as a mixed-bag experience that combines great features from excellent side mission designs with amazingly world-building potential and an engaging story with suspense elements to offer.

On the other hand, exploration in the game is unfortunately weak in many aspects; This is due to the large reliance on procedural generation of environments. Also, the role-playing elements do not have a strong presence or impact.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 7 / 10

Starfield is a fun adventure that may just lack a bit of direction. The narrative is not exactly intriguing. However, Starfield throws a metric tonne of interesting side quests which will easily distract you from the meagre main plot. Combat is very reminiscent of the fallout series, with the gunplay in particular feeling pretty satisfying. The ship battles are also quite simple and avoid unnecessary systems which is ideal for this style of game. Whilst there are a few bugs, because after all this is a Bethesda game, thankfully they are minor and non intrusive, and often quite hilarious. Overall, Starfield is an entertaining sandbox that will give you hours upon hours of fun. I just hope you don’t mind sitting through (or skipping) the generic dialogue throughout the main quests.

The Game Crater - Jayden Hellyar - 7 / 10

Starfield is a game of highs and lows; for every enthralling and captivating moment, there is an opposing element lurking close by.

Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - 3 / 5

Starfield pairs near-impossible breadth with a classic Bethesda aptitude for systemic physics, magnetic sidequests, and weird vignettes. But in sacrificing direct exploration for the sake of sheer scale, there's nothing to bind it together.

Eurogamer.pt - Adolfo Soares - Portuguese - 3 / 5

I share my love of science fiction, and Starfield was that game I looked forward to. Maybe my expectations were too high, I fully believed that they would be able to fulfill the promises made when the game was released so many years ago. However, what has been delivered seems to be more of a demonstration of ambition than an actual ability to deliver. Sure, Starfield has its merits, there are notable moments in the game, but in the end, I can't help but feel like the promise wasn't completely fulfilled, and that's undeniable.

Fun Factor - Miguel Teixeira - Portuguese - 6 / 10

I've got mixed feelings towards Starfield. Even though I found the game entertaining throughout my playthrough, it's so far from being a memorable experience. The combat is decent enough, the plot is mostly forgettable and the characters are just... bland. It doesn't help that you spent a good chunk of your time fast traveling around.

INDIANTVCZ - Tomáš Otáhal - Czech - 6 / 10

In general, Starfield delivers an above-average combination of mediocre mechanics. There's no denying that Bethesda has created a strong core on which they can build content for months, maybe years to come, through updates and mods. And while Starfield isn't as bad off technologically as it was at the launch of No Man's Sky, it's the vision of future updates that can turn Starfield into something better. To be a game that doesn't just target Bethesda fans but brings a better experience to fans of all space games.

Metro GameCentral - David Jenkins - 6 / 10

A disappointingly low-tech space exploration game that relies too much on the legacy of Skyrim and Fallout and lacks the innovation and imagination to do its concept justice.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 3 / 5

Starfield is a less interesting Fallout in space with some serious design issues. It’s still very playable and easy enough to pick up and play for short bursts but it certainly doesn’t have the staying power of Skyrim or Fallout 3. It simultaneously tried to do too much and does too little.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 3 / 5

Starfield isn’t as groundbreaking as one would expect it to be, but the developers held true in delivering the game fans have come to expect from Bethesda Game Studios, and in that regard, they succeeded, as this game has the potential to be relevant to players years after it was released, similar to what The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim is to this day.

Bazimag - Matin Nasiri - Persian - 5 / 10

Starfield is a disappointing, uninspired game. If you've never played a Bethesda Softworks game or you're still not tired of the structures and mechanics of two generations ago, congratulations; You can fully enjoy Starfield! But if you haven't been living in a cave for the past decade and have seen other new RPG titles, you'll realize that Starfield's shortcomings and flaws are "as massive as the galaxy."

EIP Gaming - Dylan Graves - 5 / 10

Starfield is a flawed game, but an incredible one. For everything is does right, there are other things that make it boring or uninteresting. With mods, it can be made amazing, but at base, it's a bit of a mess (albeit fun). However, the lack of accessibility options is egregious, making this much-hyped game unplayable for millions.

Paste Magazine - Garrett Martin - 5 / 10

Playing Starfield makes me want to play games that explore space and games that were made by Bethesda, but it doesn’t make me want to play Starfield. It tries to give us the universe, but it’s so weighed down by its own ambitions and a fundamental lack of inspiration that it can’t even get into orbit.

The Jimquisition - James Stephanie Sterling - 4 / 10

Starfield is a shallow ocean, hiding its lack of creative ambition behind the physical size of a universe that’s minuscule where it counts.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

"A huge game with excellent performance and very few bugs that lives up to MOST of the strengths of Beth games. A bit disjointed, but even after 140 hours I am still playing."

Chicas Gamers - Juanma Luengo - Spanish - Unscored

Starfield is a set of lights and shadows that may fascinate you if you like to build your own adventure. Bethesda has chosen to be very conservative in its design and the game has fallen far short of all those promises that were made during its development. Does that mean it's a bad game? Absolutely not. If you liked Skyrim, Fallout 4 or The Outer Worlds, you are going to really enjoy this new space exploration adventure and you are surely going to spend many hours taking advantage of all the possibilities it offers us.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Starfield is a technical marvel for Bethesda, delivering an excellent adventure across the cosmos. It's polished, filled with personality and feels familiar but entirely new at the same time.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Loved

Amidst so much ambition and empty space, it's the small stories and the discovery of new possibilities that do everything to keep us engaged.

Entertainium - Gareth Brading - Mixed

Starfield is an enormous and impressive experience, but it struggles to make its myriad parts feel like a cohesive whole.

Gaming Age - Dustin Chadwell - A-

Starfield is, overall, a very good RPG from a studio known for making very good RPGs. Not the most surprising news I’m sure, but it’s nice to see that they’re able to break away from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout settings successfully, and I do feel like their take on space exploration is a breath of fresh air for this type of RPG experience. It’s a huge game overall, so if you’re the person that believes time played  = value, you’ll be pretty happy with this one for sure, but at the same time if you’re worried about overall quality, I think you’ll still enjoy your time with Starfield.

GideonsGaming - Joseph Pugh - Yes

Starfield joins the ranks of one of my favorite games of all time by sharing the mantle with Skyrim. While some aspects can be improved, and I certainly hope that over time they will be. Starfield offers an experience that can only be found in the other Bethesda games that predate it. It’s an epic space adventure that offers you the freedom to enjoy its vast universe in whatever manner you choose to lose yourself in.

La Orden del Pixel - Mariano Daneri - Spanish - Yes

Starfield, Bethesda's new RPG is already among us, with a proposal that, although it falls back on old vices, also stands out for its virtues, which reach their highest point. But also a video game that is frustrating, not because it is bad, but because it is evident that it has the potential to be much better.

One More Game - Buy

Starfield is arguably the most important Xbox release in a long while, and it delivers an impactful experience that Bethesda fans have been waiting for. Despite a few dated mechanics and systems, it's a relatively polished release compared to their usual offerings, and that alone is a massive achievement.

I had hoped to see Starfield as a great step towards an evolution in the Bethesda formula, but sadly, this isn't the case. Starfield is, most likely, what you would expect it to be, and while that's good enough for fans, it does miss out on the opportunity to take that next step.

Polygon - Nicole Carpenter - Unscored

In trying to do everything, Starfield obfuscates its most compelling mysteries.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell - Unscored

A short, sparky and colourful 2D PICO-8 blaster about a space captain fighting fascist robots.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored

A genuinely impressive space RPG that ultimately loses some of its Bethesda charm in the vast reaches of its galaxy. It's so big, it feels small, cold and unlived in.

Spaziogames - Stefania Sperandio - Italian - Unscored

Starfield aims to be Bethesda Game Studios' magnum opus: it's compelling, entertaining and familiar: it feels like spending time with a longtime friend. This also means that it is inherently old in its structure and in how its universe reacts to the player. It's a shame that it comes with some unforgivable sins, like how dull the planet explorations is, but you will spend tons of hours in the game nonetheless.

Unboxholics - Σάκης Καρπάς - Greek - Masterpiece

Starfield is a grandiose, overambitious game that doesn't win you over quickly, but when it does, it does so in a bombastic way. It is a huge journey, full of experiences, full of stories, against the backdrop of vast space and the common denominator of man, his beliefs, his ideals and his passionate need to know what is out there. Defects, The shortcomings and complaints are outweighed by the rest of the total, since at the end of the day, you crave the time to open your console, your PC and discover a little more of this universe. Give it your time, take off company labels, ignore marketing and silly console wars. Starfield is a great game not to be missed.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Digital Foundry Xbox version Technical Analysis:

1541082-1693158500.webp?width=1200&heigh
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Expectations are enormous for Bethesda's latest title, Starfield. It promises a galaxy-spanning adventure with a wealth…

Right out of the gate, the good news is that Starfield is actually a very consistent and stable experience on both consoles. Across about 20 hours of play so far, I've encountered no obvious bugs or other glaring issues, which is something I certainly couldn't have said for the launch versions of Fallout 4 or Skyrim. Starfield has been delayed several times, but you get the sense that those delays have probably been for the best, as the final article is a smooth experience that's worth diving into right on release. I can't speak for the entire game of course, but I really didn't see anything that would give me pause.

The graphics are excellent as well, with a high level of detail, excellent post-processing, and some beautiful environmental artwork. This was a bit of a surprise and I think the game exceeds Bethesda's prior work by a large margin. Check out John's upcoming graphics tech review for more on this topic, but this is by no means a bad looking game. It's not always a stunner, but it is an accomplished effort, especially considering its incredible scope.

Some significant compromises do become evident, however. The world is highly segmented and frequently interrupted by loading screens, which is a holdover from Bethesda's earlier games. I didn't exactly expect a seamless experience, but the frequent cutaways - occasionally though not often masked by short animations - definitely annoy. On consoles, the other key concession comes down to frame-rate. Both Series X and S machines target a 30fps update, with no higher frame-rate options available. This won't be a surprise - it was signalled well in advance - but the question is how consistent that 30fps is in order for the experience to pass muster.

So, Starfield performs well enough, especially judged by the standards of Bethesda's prior efforts. Outside of occasional issues in cities, the game delivers a very solid 30fps update with consistent frame-pacing. That 30fps frame-rate target is probably going to earn a bit of ire from players, but given the complexity of the world, as well as the CPU-heavy performance profile of the PC version, the 30fps target is totally understandable. The motion blur also helps to smooth out the 30fps update to some degree, and renders with a high sample count and no apparent artifacting. I do wish that this had an option to lengthen the virtual shutter speed a bit though for a more pronounced effect, as the blur tends to be a bit subtle at the moment. And for those who don't like the effect, it can be turned off in the game's settings.

From a technical perspective, Starfield is probably the most polished RPG that Bethesda has ever shipped. It's largely a bug-free experience that proceeds with mostly unblemished performance and it looks great to boot. Bethesda's games are massive titles with a ton of complexity and potential interactions and getting the game to this level of polish at launch is an impressive achievement. You get the sense that the game's ten month delay likely helped significantly on this front.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry Xbox version Technical Analysis

I wonder if @Xbob42, considering his previous complaints about Bethesda RPGs, will end up falling on the side of Gamespot or not:

"When you strip Starfield down to its essentials, it relies on a tried-and-true, but very well-tread formula. It is missing the depth of the games that came before it. Starfield is more concerned with quantity over quality, and leaves that experience at the surface level."