Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

Jesus. A man rescued some women who were still in Andiivka and has shared the video of them leaving the city. Russia now has the city surrounded and Ukraine is withdrawing completely (if they haven't already completed). Russia likely lost 2x as many dead as when they took Bakhmut...but they still have taken it. This is the first city to fall since Bakhmut. 

https://x.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1758949767223148781?s=20

EDIT - How do you embed twitter, now? Anyway, watch if you can.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Jesus. A man rescued some women who were still in Andiivka and has shared the video of them leaving the city. Russia now has the city surrounded and Ukraine is withdrawing completely (if they haven't already completed). Russia likely lost 2x as many dead as when they took Bakhmut...but they still have taken it. This is the first city to fall since Bakhmut. 

At the end they say they delivered them to Pokrovsk. That's the next city over in Ukrainian held territory and it's where some friends of mine were from and lived up until the new invasion. 

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Russians claim that they're in "full control" of Avdiivka:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Kremlin says pullout was rushed and chaotic as it congratulates its soldiers on biggest gain since last May

Russia has said it has taken full control of the eastern Ukrainian city of Avdiivka, its biggest gain since capturing Bakhmut last May, after a retreat by Ukrainian troops.

Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from the city in the industrial Donbas region to avoid encirclement, the army chief, Oleksandr Syrskyi, said on Saturday, adding that he had acted to “preserve the lives and health of servicemen”, stabilise the situation and move troops to more favourable defence lines.

Some Ukrainian troops were still holed up in a vast Soviet-era coke plant, one of Europe’s biggest, Russia said, describing the retreat as rushed and chaotic.

Ukraine’s military said there had been casualties in the retreat but that the situation had stabilised.

Also, new video from Kings & Generals:

Hesitant to post this because GunTubers take the algo to dark places, but still an interesting hour plus interview with a Brit and American Ukraine combat veterans discussing very low level infantry tactics. Everything from drones, trenches, getting hit with artillery, and different Russian units they've fought. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Replace x with twitter in the link. I usually get rid of anything from the ? on also. I reloaded the new link on twitter before copying it over here.

• Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

I didn't find that Daily Show segment worth anything. Even with it being aimed at Tucker, it was more just clowning on him for being a shill--which is something we knew already. 

I find that Jon Stewart has outlived his usefulness with respect to our political landscape.

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I didn't find that Daily Show segment worth anything. Even with it being aimed at Tucker, it was more just clowning on him for being a shill--which is something we knew already. 

I find that Jon Stewart has outlived his usefulness with respect to our political landscape.

I'm curious, what would you have liked to see instead? 

Just now, Nokra said:

I'm curious, what would you have liked to see instead? 

Understand that I get Jon Stewart's role here: He's an entertainer and not a journalist. But I think framing this as a "isn't Tucker such a dope for being a shill to Russia" isn't what I want, despite this harkening back to when Jon Stewart dumped on Tucker so bad it got his CNN show cancelled. 

He took down Tucker point for point (cheap groceries/he spent half the weekly salary of a Russian, neat shopping carts, accepting Putin's framing of issues, "Hitler"/"of course.") which is good. But I just don't think Tucker is an important piece of the puzzle here. The real meat is the false reality the Russian propaganda has constructed around not just the war in Ukraine but the issue of NATO and their history at large. 

Stewart touched on it with respect to Russian nationalism becoming allies with the far right and many Republicans in the culture war. And there's a larger tie-in between that and the Russian meddling in the 2016 election. But that horse has been beaten to death by now. 

So, for what I wanted to see... I don't really know that I wanted to see it at all. I've seen others dump on Tucker for this plus all the other stuff he's done. I don't think this is anything new. And it certainly doesn't say anything new about the war or Putin's justification. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

WWW.POLITICO.COM

"I do wish the President would do a major address to the country," the New Jersey Republican said Tuesday.

President Joe Biden needs to go on offense to cement a new funding agreement for Ukraine, one of the longest-serving House Republicans said Tuesday.

"I do wish the president would do a major address to the country and say, 'This is why,' and then lay it out," Rep. Chris Smith (R-N.J.) said. His constituents, he added, "are not hearing from the White House, they're just hearing about accusations."

I can't say that I disagree with this Republican at all. 

Biden has absolutely nothing to lose by making a national address on this issue, if it really is as vital as Biden claims that it is.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Ukraine has shot down another Russia A-50 AWACS plane:

300px-Airborne_early_warning_and_control

1CzRqxg.png

Nice that it's over the Kuban region of Russia, which was actually ethnically Ukrainian until the Soviets removed them.

This is two that Ukraine has downed (and damaged a third), meaning that Russia likely only has 2 or maybe 3 remaining in service.

Russia is claiming it was friendly fire...again, as if that lie is somehow more palatable? lol

XOLRPwO.png

• True 1
  • Ukraine 3

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (23 Feb 2024) - Ukraine downs another Russia A-50 AWACS plane, leaving only 2-3 in service
On 2/20/2024 at 1:31 PM, CayceG said:

Understand that I get Jon Stewart's role here: He's an entertainer and not a journalist. But I think framing this as a "isn't Tucker such a dope for being a shill to Russia" isn't what I want, despite this harkening back to when Jon Stewart dumped on Tucker so bad it got his CNN show cancelled. 

He took down Tucker point for point (cheap groceries/he spent half the weekly salary of a Russian, neat shopping carts, accepting Putin's framing of issues, "Hitler"/"of course.") which is good. But I just don't think Tucker is an important piece of the puzzle here. The real meat is the false reality the Russian propaganda has constructed around not just the war in Ukraine but the issue of NATO and their history at large. 

Stewart touched on it with respect to Russian nationalism becoming allies with the far right and many Republicans in the culture war. And there's a larger tie-in between that and the Russian meddling in the 2016 election. But that horse has been beaten to death by now. 

So, for what I wanted to see... I don't really know that I wanted to see it at all. I've seen others dump on Tucker for this plus all the other stuff he's done. I don't think this is anything new. And it certainly doesn't say anything new about the war or Putin's justification. 

Except Jon has a wider reach and therefore more people are gonna see it.

People like us are the minority in this shit country man, anyone who gets more eyes on the topic is good for us.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:
WWW.POLITICO.EU

U.S. Republicans blocking aid. European right-wingers pushing to abandon Kyiv. Ultra-cautious leaders. What is the West’s real strategy?

And Biden has inexplicably not followed the advice from pro-Ukraine Republicans to make a low-risk national address to explain why he considers arming Kyiv to be so very vital to American national interests.

Calling Putin a "crazy SOB" in a closed-door campaign fundraiser ain't gonna cut it.

• Halal 4

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And Biden has inexplicably not followed the advice from pro-Ukraine Republicans to make a low-risk national address to explain why he considers arming Kyiv to be so very vital to American national interests.

Calling Putin a "crazy SOB" in a closed-door campaign fundraiser ain't gonna cut it.

Biden has done a terrible job framing the conflict to Americans and emphasizing its importance. I would be criticizing him more but he’s all we got. 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Biden has done a terrible job framing the conflict to Americans and emphasizing its importance. I would be criticizing him more but he’s all we got. 

The national address is such a low-hanging, relatively politically risk-free action that I can only conclude that the reason Biden hasn't done it yet is because he just really doesn't give a damn about Ukraine any longer, despite what he says publicly.

• Sad 1

Russia hasn't flown any A-50s since the second downing last week. Either they are scared of losing the last few, or, just as likely, they don't have any other trained crews. The A-50 requires a crew of 15 to operate, and they've lost two active teams in the last few months. The loss of AWACS will force Russia to either fly more fighters closer to the front to provide air radar coverage (exposing them to more AA, which Ukraine is obviously moving forward), or they will be much more blind than before.

• Ukraine 2

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Investigation launched into order asking Russians to leave country amid blacklash over ‘whites only policy’

Thousands of Russians fled Russia to avoid conscription and other parts of Russian life, and moved to Sri Lanka. Once there...they tried to set up an Apartheid state. They are now being deported back to Russia.

P62SZEe.png

It should be noted that nothing will come of this, as Russia has almost no troops in the region, and no way of getting more in. Ukraine has troops near that border, and has stated that if Moldova asked, they could "solve the Transnistria problem" in a day. In other words, Ukraine is prepared to invade the breakaway region of Moldova to defeat the Russians there, if asked. 

13 hours ago, TUFKAK said:
AMP.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Maksim Kuzminov flew a Russian miltary helicopter to Ukraine. Armed with a new identity, he moved to a Spanish resort. Then he was killed in an underground car park

just don’t be like this guy

Unbelievably naive. 

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Unbelievably naive. 

You can’t defect, get two service members killed during your defection, openly attack the regime you left then move to a place full of Russians and expect to be ok.