Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (03 May 2024) - Drones now kill more soldiers than artillery or bullets

8 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I still don't understand why Israel needs an aid package.  That money would be better spent in Ukraine. 

IIRC, Israeli military aid packages have a lot of strings attached that essentially make it a back door subsidy to US weapons manufacturers. It also stops Israel from buying weapons elsewhere, and even more importantly, gives US some semblance of “control” in how far they go in military responses/actions; if Israel wasn’t getting military aid from the US, knowing what I know of Israel and the IDF, I fully believe they’d be hitting any/all potential threats with preemptive strikes like an unchained rabid dog. Without the aid packages, without Biden at the US’ helm, that response to Iran would have been absolutely terrifying, IMO. The aid packages to Israel are more of a leash above anything else.

jesus christ, he let it get delayed for months and months

WWW.CNN.COM

Republican Speaker Mike Johnson showed political courage that is rare in Washington and notable legislative skill for an inexperienced leader in forcing a long-delayed $60 billion aid bill for Ukraine through the House of Representatives on Saturday.

• Guillotine 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

jesus christ, he let it get delayed for months and months

WWW.CNN.COM

Republican Speaker Mike Johnson showed political courage that is rare in Washington and notable legislative skill for an inexperienced leader in forcing a long-delayed $60 billion aid bill for Ukraine through the House of Representatives on Saturday.

These fuckers are willing to say anything for an eye catching headline

Greece has announced they have a Patriot system they can give Ukraine. They will give a second if the US will guarantee air protection against Turkey. The US is now saying the military package will arrive in Ukraine "much sooner" than anyone expects. I would guess the US gear is already in Germany or Poland just waiting for the Senate to pass the bill.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The UK announced a massive military package for Ukraine today, including a new batch of storm shadow missiles.

I hope the real gift the US and UK give is permission for their missiles to be used on targets inside Russia.

I'd like to see Ukraine use a swarm of low cost airborne drones to overwhelm air defense around the Kerch bridge, followed closely by a barrage of long range cruise missiles.  Maybe the same against the remaining naval assets in the Black Sea.

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'd like to see Ukraine use a swarm of low cost airborne drones to overwhelm air defense around the Kerch bridge, followed closely by a barrage of long range cruise missiles.  Maybe the same against the remaining naval assets in the Black Sea.

I didn't post, but they appear to have taken out another vessel at Sevastopol a few days ago. Russia's biggest and oldest repair vessel.

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's just say that the Ukrainian conflict has been very instructive to the formulation of various aspects of American military policy, especially in regard to just how effective the use of EW can be on neutralizing the capabilities of drones. 

In the sense that EW is more, or less effective than American doctrine predicted?

WWW.REUTERS.COM

The United States is preparing a $1 billion military aid package for Ukraine, the first to be sourced from the yet to be signed Ukraine-Israel bill, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Tuesday.

The aid package includes vehicles, Stinger air defense munitions, additional ammunition for high-mobility artillery rocket systems, 155 millimeter artillery ammunition, TOW and Javelin anti-tank munitions and other weapons that can immediately be put to use on the battlefield, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Germany once again proving to be weak and spineless—they've been saying for over a year that the only way they'll deliver any Taurus missiles (like Storm Shadows, but with larger warheads) to Ukraine is if the US is also going to commit long-range strike missiles, as Germany knows that Ukraine will use Tauruses to take out the Kerch bridge. Basically, that Germany won't be a leader, just a follower. However, now that the US is going to provide long-range single-warhead ATACMS...Germany is saying they won't send any Tauruses. 

Sneaky, sneaky!

APNEWS.COM

U.S. officials say Ukraine for the first time has begun using long-range ballistic missiles, striking a Russian military airfield in Crimea and Russian troops in another occupied area overnight.

Ukraine for the first time has begun using long-range ballistic missiles provided secretly by the United States, bombing a Russian military airfield in Crimea last week and Russian forces in another occupied area overnight, American officials said Wednesday.

Long sought by Ukrainian leaders, the new missiles give Ukraine nearly double the striking distance — up to 300 kilometers (190 miles) — that it had with the mid-range version of the weapon that it received from the U.S. last October.

“We’ve already sent some, we will send more now that we have additional authority and money,” White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said. The additional ATACMS were included in a new military aid package signed by President Joe Biden on Wednesday.

Biden approved delivery of the long-range Army Tactical Missile System, known as ATACMS, in February, and then in March the U.S. included a “significant” number of them in a $300 million aid package announced, officials said.

U.S. officials would not provide the exact number of missiles given last month or in the latest aid package, which totals about $1 billion.

• Ukraine 2
  • Hype 1

WWW.FT.COM

Admiral Sir Tony Radakin tells the FT fresh military aid will help Kyiv reshape ‘difficult’ land fight against Moscow

No confirmation as yet if this means the UK will allow Storm Shadows and other munitions to be used against targets inside Russia. 

• Hype 1

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Arrest of deputy defence minister Timur Ivanov comes weeks after Vladimir Putin urged FSB to step up efforts to root out corruption

The Deputy Defense Minister of Russia was arrested by the FSB. 

tuXRUVH.png

Ukrainian intelligence already taking credit, saying they basically funneled a $10k bribe to him in order to get him caught by the FSB on corruption/treason charges. Russian officials are dumb enough to fall for it.

One of the big promises (and kind of excuse for why other long-range weaponry wasn't being provided) was that the GLSDB would be useful. Unfortunately, it appears that (like Wade said earlier) Russian anti-GPS and EW jamming is proving very effective against US drones and munitions:

v9er3YU.png

48 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I wonder if this will shift the entire paradigm of going away from pilots.

That paradigm really doesn't have a significant number of advocates to begin with, but what it has done is force a reconsideration of how drones, etc. are used in the battlespace.

The briefing I attended on the effects of the Russian EW efforts was really quite eye-opening.

4 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'd imagine the data coming out of Ukraine concerning wars against near peer enemies is invaluable. 

From what I've been able to see, your imagination would be quite correct!

Let's face it - a very "uncharitable" reading of US support for Ukraine could be that we want to "extend" the conflict as much as possible for that very reason.

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's face it - a very "uncharitable" reading of US support for Ukraine could be that we want to "extend" the conflict as much as possible for that very reason.

The hyper capitalist military industrial complex isn't going to pay for itself!

45 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I've been able to see, your imagination would be quite correct!

Time to go back to full ballistic weaponry! A big ball of iron launched in a parabolic arc doesn't care about jamming!