The results of two recent experiments indicate that the "Standard Model" of physics might be wrong

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Preliminary results from two experiments suggest something could be wrong with the basic way physicists think the universe works, a prospect that has the field of particle physics both baffled and...

“New particles, new physics might be just beyond our research,” said Wayne State University particle physicist Alexey Petrov. “It’s tantalizing.”

The United States Energy Department’s Fermilab announced results Wednesday of 8.2 billion races along a track outside Chicago that while ho-hum to most people have physicists astir: The muons’ magnetic fields don’t seem to be what the Standard Model says they should be. This follows new results published last month from the European Center for Nuclear Research’s Large Hadron Collider that found a surprising proportion of particles in the aftermath of high-speed collisions.

If confirmed, the U.S. results would be the biggest finding in the bizarre world of subatomic particles in nearly 10 years, since the discovery of the Higgs boson, often called the “God particle,” said Aida El-Khadra of the University of Illinois, who works on theoretical physics for the Fermilab experiment.

Separately, at the world’s largest atom smasher at CERN, physicists have been crashing protons against each other there to see what happens after. One of the particle colliders’ several separate experiments measures what happens when particles called beauty or bottom quarks collide.

The Standard Model predicts that these beauty quark crashes should result in equal numbers of electrons and muons. It’s sort of like flipping a coin 1,000 times and getting about equal numbers of heads and tails, said Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment chief Chris Parkes.

But that’s not what happened.

My favorite parts of articles like this are comments from the ohiogiuys of the world who go, “I knew it. Scientists are wrong all the time!”

Also I’m stunned that the pic in the article is real and not something out of a modified Source engine. Yikes.

• Haha 2

The results are quite interesting because science youtube has been talking a lot about the uncertainty with the current "standard model".

Also just throwing this out there but if you haven't wasted hours on Fermilab's youtube channel I highly recommend it. There is the complex talks/presentation but they also have a few youtube shows that cover complex issues in a more simple manor. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5B6VoXv41fJ-IW8Wrhz9A

-edit-

Also PBS Spacetime did an ep yesterday about the results

17 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The results are quite interesting because science youtube has been talking a lot about the uncertainty with the current "standard model".

Also just throwing this out there but if you haven't wasted hours on Fermilab's youtube channel I highly recommend it. There is the complex talks/presentation but they also have a few youtube shows that cover complex issues in a more simple manor. 

-edit-

came here to post this damn 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I always forget that Jason was a physics major

It was way more appealing than sticking it out in political studies. :sun:

Spoiler

One thing I hated was the sheer volume of reading, which has obviously translated to my habits on here. :santasun:

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

It was way more appealing than sticking it out in political studies. :sun:

Reveal hidden contents

I realized that I needed to get out of political science as a major when a) the economy collapsed in 08 and b) I basically cleaned up and reframed a post of mine from IGN and turned it in for a short assignment that was due. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

What’s the over/under on how this could affect dark matter?

It could very well be related in some way:

dark_matter_1600.jpg
WWW.FUTURITY.ORG

The findings of a new paper suggest dark energy might not account for nearly 70% of the ever-accelerating, expanding universe.

Here are some recent dark matter-related articles:

1614722373230-gettyimages-758305389.jpeg
WWW.VICE.COM

If confirmed, the collision between never-before-seen boson stars may solve the long search for the source of dark matter.

M7fDTpDnJcZ4dt3myngzxi-1200-80.jpg
WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM

An analysis of ripples in space-time suggests the mysterious substance consists of primordial black holes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chakoo said:

-edit-

Ron Burgundy What GIF

Me, just about the entire video